As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DC September Solicitations Previews

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, Spider-Man should be running around with Octopus arms

So you see what I'm saying.

Really though. Look at say, Manhunter. Her entire costume is just stuff she stole from evidence lockers. Why wouldn't someone put that stuff to use? Or Prometheus' helmet that let him beat up the entire Justice League? There's definitely in-story reasons that can be invented, like not trusting the technology, or feeling it would hamper an individual's fighting style or something. I've just never understood why, when an entire team almost gets taken out by some villain's latest superweapon, nobody says, "Hey, why don't we strap that thing to Wildcat? Maybe he'll stop bitching about getting punked by Bizarro."

Of course, this is pretty much the basis for the current New Warriors series. Which is pretty much the one interesting thing about the book.

Munch on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well, they do need that stuff for evidence to be used against those villains in their impending trials.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Munch wrote: »

Really though. Look at say, Manhunter. Her entire costume is just stuff she stole from evidence lockers. Why wouldn't someone put that stuff to use? Or Prometheus' helmet that let him beat up the entire Justice League? There's definitely in-story reasons that can be invented, like not trusting the technology, or feeling it would hamper an individual's fighting style or something. I've just never understood why, when an entire team almost gets taken out by some villain's latest superweapon, nobody says, "Hey, why don't we strap that thing to Wildcat? Maybe he'll stop bitching about getting punked by Bizarro."

Of course, this is pretty much the basis for the current New Warriors series. Which is pretty much the one interesting thing about the book.

Whoa.

No one punks Wildcat.

No one.

Bloods End on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There is only room for one Booster Gold. And he makes sure there are no imitators.

And believe me, you don't want to fuck with someone who has access to an entire museum of super stuff; the most powerful artifacts in DCU history collected in one room. He even has a time machine and does time shenanigans to whoever tries to pull this off. His hand stretches across time and space, into different dimensions and even different multiverses.

All those low-powered heroes... they've had the idea. And then they forgot. Some got pretty far, getting their hands on technology, but Booster undid these events. Sometimes, he undid heroes.

Playing superhero is just a hobby. His real job is protecting his origin.

TeaSpoon on
    edited June 2008
    Well, they do need that stuff for evidence to be used against those villains in their impending trials.

That would explain why they keep most of it in their trophy room.

Munch on
    edited June 2008

That would explain why they keep most of it in their trophy room.

It couid be argued that that's the safest place for most of this stuff.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2008
    Man, how many times has the League's base been compromised? It's like every other Tuesday. Anything in there would be safer strapped to Odd Man or Beefeater.

I'm not sure why we're having an actual discussion about this. I was just saying I enjoyed seeing a character actually make use of a powerful weapon rather than discard it, when there's no in-story justification for doing so.

Munch on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    There is only room for one Booster Gold. And he makes sure there are no imitators.

And believe me, you don't want to fuck with someone who has access to an entire museum of super stuff; the most powerful artifacts in DCU history collected in one room. He even has a time machine and does time shenanigans to whoever tries to pull this off. His hand stretches across time and space, into different dimensions and even different multiverses.

All those low-powered heroes... they've had the idea. And then they forgot. Some got pretty far, getting their hands on technology, but Booster undid these events. Sometimes, he undid heroes.

Playing superhero is just a hobby. His real job is protecting his origin.

This was wonderful. :^:

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

i really love things like that. Taskmaster, with his abilities/skills and equipment, and I think Ultimate Arcade had something similar going on. In Superman/Batman, Hawkman has some ridiculous gauntlet that he punched Superman with. Something to do with hitting him with the weight of the planet or the continent of Africa or something. And then it disappeared and was never seen again.

My comic, which combines about a million influences, has superhero and generic "rpg" influences, and items are sought after things, kind of like treasures.

DouglasDanger on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2008
    The best Alex Ross cover ever:

smcv680solicitmq8.jpg

Garlic Bread on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2008
    "ROBIN #178
    Written by Fabian Nicieza
    Art and cover by Freddie E. Williams II"

I don't mind Fabian or Williams, but man, I much prefered Batista's artwork for the book.

Garlic Bread on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2008
    hell yes, krypto

DJ Eebs on
    edited June 2008
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    the best cover

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    THE ABSOLUTE SANDMAN VOL. 4 HC
    Written by Neil Gaiman
    Art by Marc Hempel, D’Israeli, Glyn Dillon, Charles Vess, Dean Ormston, Teddy Kristiansen, Richard Case, Michael Zulli, Jon J Muth and Kevin Nowlan
    Cover by Dave McKean
    This final volume includes behind-the-scenes extras plus issues #57-75 and a story from VERTIGO JAM #1. Don’t miss the end of what Playboy called “a modern myth, as well as a précis on why the stories we tell matter so much.”

What I consider the greatest literary body of work in the comic medium has been reduced to a quote by Playboy. Fucking Playboy magazine. I hate DC and their retarded marketing.

KVW on
    edited June 2008
    flscv244solicitsf3.jpg

I really like this cover, but another creative team change?

Garlic Bread on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So anyone want to take bets on exactly what the Brainiac arc is building up to?

Furu on
    edited June 2008
    FUCKING BEES, MAN

Furu on
    edited June 2008
    man just because playboy shows naked ladies a bunch don't mean they can't review stuff and be taken seriously

DJ Eebs on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I really hope they keep DCU: Decisions on a leash. I don't really need to have Green Lantern and Batman debate universal health care. :P

Oh, full solicits are up.

JoeUser on
    edited June 2008
    JoeUser wrote: »
    I really hope they keep DCU: Decisions on a leash. I don't really need to have Green Lantern and Batman debate universal health care. :P

What DCU heroes could possibly be Republicans?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2008

Hawkman

Garlic Bread on
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Keith wrote: »

Keith what would you do if they announce Supergirl/Young Justice.

Transporter on
    edited June 2008
    man just because playboy shows naked ladies a bunch don't mean they can't review stuff and be taken seriously

To be fair, I only buy it for the articles.

KVW on
    edited June 2008

Hawkman

Really? Wouldn't Libertarian be more accurate?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2008

Hawkman

Really? Wouldn't Libertarian be more accurate?

Pretty sure it's established that he's republican

Garlic Bread on
    edited June 2008

no i'm talking about the covers and solicits

they act like they each don't happen

Garlic Bread on
    edited June 2008
    remember all republicans are evil

DJ Eebs on
    edited June 2008
    Jimmy Olsen, College Republican

JoeUser on
    edited June 2008
    remember all republicans are evil

Lex Luthor, Penguin, uh, Dr. Light ...

JoeUser on
    edited June 2008

no i'm talking about the covers and solicits

they act like they each don't happen

Sometimes I wake up wishing the current Supergirl series hasn't happened.

Furu on
    edited June 2008
    decisions is the worst idea that has ever come about in the history of comics

DJ Eebs on
    edited June 2008

The only thing that can make nerd debates worse is the introduction of politics into the mix.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2008

The only thing that can make nerd debates worse is the introduction of politics into the mix.

"Who's side are you on?"

KVW on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    After some of these solicits and Dixon's comments and the news about Final Crisis and JG Jones things aren't really looking up for DC like I hoped they were

Sars_Boy on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    After some of these solicits and Dixon's comments and the news about Final Crisis and JG Jones things aren't really looking up for DC like I hoped they were

what news about JG Jones

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    he's too slow so they're bringing someone to help him with the art on Final Crisis

Garlic Bread on
    edited June 2008
    man

not really regretting my choice to skip it

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    bale are you the goatee guy on The Stack

Garlic Bread on
    edited June 2008
    what

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]