As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

No force-feedback wheel for PS3?

AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology

• Ninja BotNinja Bot Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'll be the first to say it.
    lol sony

Ninja Bot on
  • AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Games are made for the SIXAXIS, and so nothing is written in the code for rumble.

Alpine on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    But, much like how Ace Combat games support the Ace Combat Flightstick, couldn't GT5 have special drivers for a special wheel that actually has rumble?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    apotheos wrote:
    But, much like how Ace Combat games support the Ace Combat Flightstick, couldn't GT5 have special drivers for a special wheel that actually has rumble?

It seems to make sense, but given the certainty of the comment, I'd guess apparently not. But its okay guys, rumble was so last gen, right?

liquidlogan on
    edited January 2007
    And, not to mention, force feedback in a wheel is quite different than rumble.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That article has force-feedback as being a technology developed by Immersion, and therefore off-limits to Sony due to the lawsuit. So I'm really not sure there is anything they can do.

I mean, I don't know what the numbers are on people who use wheels, but for die-hard racing fans who use one and are looking forward to GT5 it's gotta sting a bit.

Allforce on
  • BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    apotheos wrote:

Force feedback isn't "rumble" per se, its a realistic response to the steering being affected by the road and/or wheel inputs. A quick example would be wet road as apposed to dry road, where the wheel would react much more sluggishly and without resistance.

edit: damn, YOU KNOW THIS ALREADY!?

Bearcat on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited January 2007
    no "arguably" about it, GT is their biggest franchise by a country mile

and yes, for the racing nuts, this is probably killer

bongi on
  • Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    apotheos wrote:

Apparently it's not a matter of resourcefulness but a matter of having to work out licensing deals to the people who have patents on various force feedback and rumble methods of execution. The buzz seems to be that due to that Immersion lawsuit, Sony not only has no rumble in SIXAXIS but can have no rumble/force feedback in any of their peripherals. Kind of sketchy. Seems like something they're just too cheap to bother working out.

No third party is going to spend the money to do otherwise, I mean Logitech's the only third party with the mettle to even make a wireless controller that works more than a month (and isn't some infra-red joke).

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
    edited January 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    apotheos wrote:

Apparently it's not a matter of resourcefulness but a matter of having to work out licensing deals to the people who have patents on various force feedback and rumble methods of execution. The buzz seems to be that due to that Immersion lawsuit, Sony not only has no rumble in SIXAXIS but can have no rumble/force feedback in any of their peripherals. Kind of sketchy. Seems like something they're just too cheap to bother working out.

No third party is going to spend the money to do otherwise, I mean Logitech's the only third party with the mettle to even make a wireless controller that works more than a month.

Off topic but I'd like to say I've used my MadCatz wireless pads for PS2 and XBox for many many years now and they've been great and never let me down.

Just saying is all.

Allforce on
    edited January 2007
    So the question is, does Immersion own the patents related to Force Feedback?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
    edited January 2007
    I guess we'll never know. The article speculates that but isn't clear.

Allforce on
  • Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    apotheos wrote:
    So the question is, does Immersion own the patents related to Force Feedback?

The article is hardly definitive but it seems to specifically metion Force Feedback as something Immersion does specifically control.

Allforce: In this region MadCatz is the devil. I never sold a MadCatz product that didn't come back defective the next day.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The patents used in the Sony lawsuit were this and this
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060313-6366.html
    I don't know if there is any wording that might cover this type of controller.

Couscous on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sony has to pay out 1.35% royalties on certain games for the Playstation brand to Immersion because of the lawsuit they lost. I would assume these are first party Sony games that use rumble which would also make me assume that is why the new GT won't be able to have any rumble/force feedback coding in it.
    Assuming also makes an ass out of you and me so, you know, whatever.

Accualt on
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wow, and here I was hoping there would be full support for the Logitech G25 when GT5 finally comes out.

stigweard on