As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Questions? Answers!- The General Questions Thread

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    No, I must get around to doing that. Brubaker's run is actually the first Daredevil stuff I've read outside of Daredevil: Yellow.

the Brubaker stuff builds right out of the Bendis run

and while Brubaker's is good, the Bendis/Maleev stuff is better

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Terry Moore's Runaways should be good, I don't think he'll have to many problems with them. His current indie book, Echo, has been awesome so far and it has a bit more action which gives me hope for Runaways.

smokmnky on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    No, I must get around to doing that. Brubaker's run is actually the first Daredevil stuff I've read outside of Daredevil: Yellow.

nnnnnnnnnI'd say they've been pretty equal

Sars_Boy on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Is it illegal to kill an evil ninja or henchman of a terrorist organization in the Marvel or DC Universes?

Like, if a member of the hand turns up dead, are the police obligated to investigate or can they just assume he had it coming?

Robos A Go Go on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »

nnnnnnnnnI'd say they've been pretty equal
    The first two Brubaker arcs were almost as good as Bendis but the stuff since then is not even close

deadonthestreet on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    nope

the last arc was just as good as bendis stuff easily

Sars_Boy on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Is it illegal to kill an evil ninja or henchman of a terrorist organization in the Marvel or DC Universes?

Like, if a member of the hand turns up dead, are the police obligated to investigate or can they just assume he had it coming?

Well, at least in Marvel it's pretty explicit that injured or killed villains are still human, and so their death is investigated based on the evidence. I think you're really asking whether people would get prosecuted: in Marvel, since Vigilantism requires a license, they'd want to find out if a registered hero did it or not. We don't know about the "lethal force" provisions, though, since registered heroes are also in the military.

There is no federal police power, so it's complicated to talk about that sort of thing without being bogged down into legal discussion that no one really wants to have.

mattharvest on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I wonder how Wolverine gets away with killing people left and right. I mean, seriously, the man has committed more acts of murders than 95% of the Marvel villains. Didn't he once kill go around killing entire Hydra bases in Cable and Deadpool; this after we met Bob the Hydra agent. The Punisher, at least, gets caught and sent to jail every now and then.

TeaSpoon on
  • ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Aren't Hand ninjas technically zombies though? I don't see how zombies count as murder.

ZombieAsuma on
    edited June 2008
    enemy combatants like Hydra and AIM aren't really treated the same as the run of the mill criminals Punisher goes after

also those sorts of missions Wolverine go on generally aren't public

I dont think any police officers go up investigating the murders in Hydra Arctic Base #6

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's portrayed somewhat in the X-Force comic. SHIELD is finding these bases full of dead Purifiers but who killed the Purifiers is buried at the bottom of the list below how the HELL the Purifiers got the tech they had, why there are still so many of them, and why can't SHIELD find them easily.

ZombieAsuma on
    edited June 2008
    enemy combatants like Hydra and AIM aren't really treated the same as the run of the mill criminals Punisher goes after

I dont think any police officers go up investigating the murders in Hydra Arctic Base #6

Missions, hah. You and I both know that Wolverine kills people who aren't part of terrorist networks too. And he kills people when he's in the wrong mood. And for walking down the street. There are plenty of examples where he had to turn on his own teammates.

You'd think there would be some sort of investigation. Sure, he may not be high on the list, but he's so blatant about it. He doesn't even hide it.

TeaSpoon on
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Is anybody else reading Helen Killer?

It's about Helen Keller, who in this case is sort of a cross between Daredevil and Wolverine. Sort of. Perhaps it's easier to just show you?
    helenkiller.jpg

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Interesting concept.

DouglasDanger on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So for those of you who have pull lists, what kind of discounts do you get? The comic shop I go to gives 10% if you have 10 books on your list, and 20% if you have 15. Is this an OK deal? I've never done the pull list thing before.

JoeUser on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I get a flat 10% discount no matter how many books I have, so you're getting a better deal than I am. Also, I believe there's a thread out there specifically about this topic. You might do a search for it and see what other deals people are getting.

Lucascraft on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm pretty sure I get nothing at all, though occasionally one of the employees takes pity on me if I rack up more than £100 in one purchase and give an employee discount.

Wildcat on
    edited June 2008
    I get 10% off the books I pull

I also get dibs on variants while availible as long as they aren't super rare

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't get a discount. I asked the guy at my shop about it once, and apparently they tried giving people with pull lists discounts, and almost went under because of it.

Of course, I'm buying fewer and fewer single issues every month, so it doesn't impact me all that much.

Munch on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    TeaSpoon wrote: »

Missions, hah. You and I both know that Wolverine kills people who aren't part of terrorist networks too. And he kills people when he's in the wrong mood. And for walking down the street. There are plenty of examples where he had to turn on his own teammates.

You'd think there would be some sort of investigation. Sure, he may not be high on the list, but he's so blatant about it. He doesn't even hide it.

well, due to wolverine's occasional shield status (and all the "work" he's done for various other governments), he might have some sort of "license to kill" that mostly lets him slide. though i think it's important to remember that he doesn't actually like killing people and i don't think he does it as often as you think he does it.

there mostly aren't that many other good characters who consistantly kill people in the mu that aren't already outside the law (like punisher or deadpool). cap might have occasionally hit someone a little too hard, but hey he was a government agent.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Besides, if Cap was hitting you in the face you'd probably done something to deserve it.

Wildcat on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Cap's killed tons of people in Brubaker's story. He was in frickin WWII afterall. I guess there's a difference between battlefield casualties and killing criminals though.

Lucascraft on
    edited June 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Cap's killed tons of people in Brubaker's story. He was in frickin WWII afterall. I guess there's a difference between battlefield casualties and killing criminals though.

sure, cap was a soldier. he mostly stopped killing people after the war, though (although you can't tell me some of the people he hit in the fucking face with the edge of that shield didn't end up with brain damage). but again, he was also a shield agent fighting hydra and aim, the international terrorist organizations. that's not quite the same as daredevil fighting a mugger.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »

This is where it gets kind of impossible to talk about real-world laws and comics: if you think about either the Marvel or DC Earth, basically the USA in both exist in a constant state of emergency. They literally don't go a week or so without a major terrorist attack somewhere in the country. Sometimes it's Namor holding a tidal wave off the coast of California, sometimes it's Magneto tearing all of NYC into shrapnel. Sometimes it's Joker poisoning all of Gothom, sometimes Mongul destroying an entire west-coast city.

This is one of the things that (indisputably) Civil War got right: there is a LOT of collateral damage when super-people interact. The old Damage Control comics similarly addressed the issue. Basically, for the typical Marvel American, you have no idea if you're going to get home safely.

In that sort of state of emergency, SHIELD and other military groups probably have a lot more room to 'move' in terms of legality. Given that SHIELD is international and yet somehow has jurisdiction across the US, it stands to reason that the registered heroes in Marvel have a standing license to use (lethal) force.

mattharvest on
    edited June 2008
    If you guys are going to talk about superhero morality and whatnot, please make another thread. I really don't want to see this general q and a thread bogged down with something like that.

Is Moon Knight a good book?

DouglasDanger on
    edited June 2008
    Douglas it's not your job to keep threads on topic

and no, it isnt

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    yeah, i know, but thread derailment is a pet peeve of mine, like when the final crisis thread turned into a discussion about dr light and rape jokes and i don't even remember what else. sorry to overstep my bounds

was joe casey's deathlok book worth reading? buying? what about automatic kafka?

DouglasDanger on
    edited June 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    well, due to wolverine's occasional shield status (and all the "work" he's done for various other governments), he might have some sort of "license to kill" that mostly lets him slide. though i think it's important to remember that he doesn't actually like killing people and i don't think he does it as often as you think he does it.

there mostly aren't that many other good characters who consistantly kill people in the mu that aren't already outside the law (like punisher or deadpool). cap might have occasionally hit someone a little too hard, but hey he was a government agent.
    This is where it gets kind of impossible to talk about real-world laws and comics: if you think about either the Marvel or DC Earth, basically the USA in both exist in a constant state of emergency. They literally don't go a week or so without a major terrorist attack somewhere in the country. Sometimes it's Namor holding a tidal wave off the coast of California, sometimes it's Magneto tearing all of NYC into shrapnel. Sometimes it's Joker poisoning all of Gothom, sometimes Mongul destroying an entire west-coast city.

This is one of the things that (indisputably) Civil War got right: there is a LOT of collateral damage when super-people interact. The old Damage Control comics similarly addressed the issue. Basically, for the typical Marvel American, you have no idea if you're going to get home safely.

In that sort of state of emergency, SHIELD and other military groups probably have a lot more room to 'move' in terms of legality. Given that SHIELD is international and yet somehow has jurisdiction across the US, it stands to reason that the registered heroes in Marvel have a standing license to use (lethal) force.

Those are all points well made, however, they seem to be handing these licenses to whoever has enough primary colors in their wardrobe. Without a whole lot of oversight, this system of government is open to the worst kind of abuses imaginable. And Wolverine is enough evidence that there is no such oversight. Surely, even in a world gone mad, no sane government allows this shit.

Case in point; Wolverine has done a lot of shady stuff. He kills according to his own judgment, which is often skewed by beserker rage or mindcontrol or whatever. Even if he is allowed to roam free, it is insane to put him on a team that's supposed to represent a higher moral standard. At the very least, don't put him on publicity shots.

Even if I thought Civil War didn't make any sense, at least they adressed this stuff.

TeaSpoon on
    edited June 2008
    If you guys are going to talk about superhero morality and whatnot, please make another thread. I really don't want to see this general q and a thread bogged down with something like that.

doug, it's ok if questions generate little discussions in this thread.

also, i like the new moon knight book, but it's not particularly new-reader friendly, which i say as someone who had never read moon knight before these last two trades of the new series came out. kind of confusing, but definitely unlike any other hero in the marvel u.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Servo wrote: »

doug, it's ok if questions generate little discussions in this thread.

Servo, you are my favorite mod
    named Servo :winky:

smokmnky on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Yes.

Crimsondude on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I just got a new job working with crazy kids that involves long drives with them back and forth every which way. What are some good all ages comics? I already have the first couple of volumes of Bone.

Bloods End on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The Marvel Adventures stuff is supposed to be pretty awesome, right?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited June 2008
    It is BRILLIANT.

Wildcat on
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Seconded. Also, any recent Power Pack stuff, and the Franklin Richards: Son of a Genius series.

Depending on their ages, Blue Beetle may be a good bet too. It would be aimed more at a slightly older age though.

Desktop Hippie on
    edited June 2008
    ok, sorry guys.
    any opinions on joe casey's deathlok? automatic kafka?

DouglasDanger on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Is there a temporary moratorium on DC/Marvel crossovers?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2008
    I think your idea is going to end up with vomit all over your car. Not just on the floors, but on the windows too. And the ceiling. And the seats. And you.

Fuck, I hate being a passenger in cars.

TeaSpoon on
    edited June 2008

DiDio has said he won't do any while Quesada is still EiC at Marvel

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Yeah. Both companies have said they don't really see the need for one anymore, since they did JLA/Avengers and basically crammed every character they could in there.

However, there's a rumor that Marvel actually wanted to do a crossover (I recall Bendis lobbying for it a while back), but DC's holding things up, because they refuse to participate until Joe Quesada's gone. This is due to Quesada's remarks a few years ago about how DC, and I'm paraphrasing, had the biggest dick in comics but couldn't get it up. He was referring to their inability to get Superman and Batman's sales out of the gutter.

Ever since then, there's been a bit of animosity between the two companies.

Munch on
This discussion has been closed.