As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Moment of the Week 6/18/08

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It wasn't that bad, and certainly better than the Freak stories. That said, I really didn't care about the events of this issue.

Bookie's just a boring character.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Angel was pretty awesome this week.
    "We picked the lord most likely to sell everyone else out."

"You went with the Loan-Shark."

"Man's career path is based on a pun, can't be too much inner pride."

Also, Wesley trying to summon Cordelia and her being completely unable to help since they're in hell was pretty neat. And Fred's soul not being, you know, completely annihilated is hope-y. Also Angel exploding all the lords. Classy.

The whole thing where Wesley talks about
    summoning Cordelia
    Had me doing this little schoolgirl giggle/squeal thing. That's how much I loved it

EDIT: I have a pretty big hard-on for Spidey, but I couldn't even finish this week's issue

Me Too! on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    I picked up Fables: The Good Prince today since I couldn't find the last volume of Y, and it was probably the best trade of Fables I've ever read. God damn.

Hell yeah, especially after seeing the main character's tragic background.

Just like the trade/arc dedicated to
    Boy Blue
    . That was awesome.

I didn't really care for Jack's arc, though. It was okay, but I prefer the main stuff with Bigby, the Prince, Snow, etc.

I usually wait for 3 or 4 trades to come out before I pick up Fables and read it in bulk, but if it's really as good as the Boy Blue arc, I might just have to go out and pick that trade up. Like now. As in leaving right now.

KVW on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ugh, Spider-Man, why do you suck so much now. WHY?!

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited June 2008
    EDIT: I have a pretty big hard-on for Spidey, but I couldn't even finish this week's issue

It's like Spider-Man's a hot girl, but Bob Gale is the bad seafood that makes her vomit on you.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2008
    Yes exactly
    And before someone goes "Hurf durf you're just saying that because Gale wrote this one", I didn't even realize that Gale wrote it until this morning, when I read it on here.
    I just hated this issue with a burning passion

Me Too! on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man

that is upsetting

I had hopes for this arc after last week's issue

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    KVW wrote: »
    I picked up Fables: The Good Prince today since I couldn't find the last volume of Y, and it was probably the best trade of Fables I've ever read. God damn.

Hell yeah, especially after seeing the main character's tragic background.

Just like the trade/arc dedicated to
    Boy Blue
    . That was awesome.

I didn't really care for Jack's arc, though. It was okay, but I prefer the main stuff with Bigby, the Prince, Snow, etc.

I usually wait for 3 or 4 trades to come out before I pick up Fables and read it in bulk, but if it's really as good as the Boy Blue arc, I might just have to go out and pick that trade up. Like now. As in leaving right now.

It's as good as the Boy Blue arc. Some might say it's better, because the stakes are higher.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    mugginns wrote: »
    Grodd was pretty badass this week
    ezena0jm2.jpg

Didn't Grodd die in Salvation Run

Or was that some other talking ape

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
    edited June 2008
    He got better. Basically, a few z-listers died in Salvation Run, and that's it.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Actually, yes, it was some other talking ape. Monsieur Mallah, to be precise.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    edited June 2008
    Mallah died? What about the Brain

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    I think Mallah was bludgeoned to death by the Brain?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2008
    With the Brain, by Grodd.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited June 2008
    what

why would the Brain kill Mallah

did he do it in a fit of rage after finding Mallah smooching Ultimate Humanite

edit: oh thats much more like it, I love Grodd

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Mallah died? What about the Brain

He didn't fare so well...
    monkeyfight8zh1.jpg

JoeUser on
    edited June 2008
    Lolgrammar.

Also, General Immortus died.

Robos A Go Go on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Nooo!! They can't kill Mallah!

Him and the Brain. They are better than all those other couples in the DCU. I mean, Lois and Superman? That will never last. But Mallah and the Brain, those two are special. Why must the writers get between true love?!

[EDIT] God, I just read the scan. Those sick fucks. What kind of twisted mind comes up with something like this?!

TeaSpoon on
    edited June 2008
    Winnick will bring them back in TITANS, that book needs more of the gay sex.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Man

that is upsetting

I had hopes for this arc after last week's issue

Hahaha hope that Gale isn't going to revert to shit
    Good one

Me Too! on
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My MOTW: Astonishing X-Men Trade #4.

So many awesome moments.

Also;
    "Pretty much wanna break you like a pony."
    akajaybay wrote: »
    God dammit, the last Y the last man trade made me kinda cry.

I'm not gonna lie, I cried. The whole series is awesome, but the finale is as heartbreaking as it is beautiful.

Goddammit! I've just finished the fifth trade. You're telling me it really does keep getting better?

mutterneedasecondjobmutter

Desktop Hippie on
    edited June 2008
    Marvel needs to put Roger Stern back into the Spider-Man writing rotation. Stern, Guggenheim, Wells, and Slott - and just let them do their thing. And have JRJR draw as much of it as possible.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Marvel needs to put Roger Stern back into the Spider-Man writing rotation. Stern, Guggenheim, Wells, and Slott - and just let them do their thing. And have JRJR draw as much of it as possible.

And hey, Chuck Dixon is jobhunting now, isn't he...?

Desktop Hippie on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    KVW wrote: »

I found Boy Blue's arc to have more action and, of course, the "big reveal", but I liked the recent trade a lot. I don't want to build you up on it, but as a recent (in the last year or so) fan of Fables, I loved it dearly.

Vertigo is getting a significant amount of cash from me these days. Hopefully finishing Y this week, Preacher is on order, and I'm starting to work on Fables.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, that would work, too. I can't really remember any non-Punisher Marvel work that Dixon has done, but I doubt it would matter - he's probably one of the best "street-level hero" comic writers, ever.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Have you checked out SCALPED or DMZ, Forar?

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Have you checked out SCALPED or DMZ, Forar?

... No.

Isn't DMZ the comic where the two guys are making jokes while fighting a bunch of pygmies, or was that something else?

Either way, I suspect my wallet is going to hate me shortly.
    Goddammit! I've just finished the fifth trade. You're telling me it really does keep getting better?

Let's just say I went from "Brian K WHO?" to "OMG MAN CRUSH" in no time flat. Love the series, and if you're half way done, you've got a lot of good stuff coming.

BTW, I've been buying trades off amazon.ca for around 30-40% off. Buy ~4 or more at once and it's free shipping, so it's already saved me a ton of cash.

Forar on
    edited June 2008
    SCALPED is like CRIMINAL on an Indian reservation.

DMZ is about the second American Civil War, and takes place primarily in a bombed out NYC, from the standpoint of a rookie embedded reporter.

Sorry about the wallet.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, that would work, too. I can't really remember any non-Punisher Marvel work that Dixon has done, but I doubt it would matter - he's probably one of the best "street-level hero" comic writers, ever.

You know, having read his run on Catwoman and loved every panel, I'd really enjoy seeing Will Pfiefer write some Spidey issues too.

Side note: In light of Dixon's oh so bitter comments about Didio this week, Mark Chiarello's little story in the DC Nation segment of Catwoman was really, REALLY funny! Fabulous timing, that! :P

Desktop Hippie on
    edited June 2008
    Does anyone remember that bit? I think it was in a MOTW thread, or maybe the giant "Awesome comic moments" thread, where two guys are fighting an army of midgets? I was pretty much sold by those few panels, but now I forget what the series was called.

Help?

Forar on
    edited June 2008

Let's just say I went from "Brian K WHO?" to "OMG MAN CRUSH" in no time flat. Love the series, and if you're half way done, you've got a lot of good stuff coming.

BTW, I've been buying trades off amazon.ca for around 30-40% off. Buy ~4 or more at once and it's free shipping, so it's already saved me a ton of cash.

Yeah, not sure they ship for free when you order from Ireland, no matter how much you spend. But I will check Amazon.co.uk and Play.com for special offers, so thanks :)

Honestly, having heard how great the series was and having loved the heck out of Runaways and Pride of Baghdad, I know I should have picked it up ages ago. I'm still kicking myself that I didn't bother until now.

Desktop Hippie on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You seem awfully fixated on this idea of beating up the disabled.

Anyway, it might be Nextwave. I don't remember the exact moment, but that's the sort of thing Nextwave does. And even if it's not the comic, you should still read it. Because it's really, really good.

TeaSpoon on
    edited June 2008
    Are they disabled? I thought they were just short.

I don't remember anyone fighting an army of little people in Nextwave. I do remember them beating up nameless ones. And making killer koala bears explode. And killing the heck out of Beyond (TM) Corp Broccoli Android thingies.

Desktop Hippie on
    edited June 2008
    Also, you can read the first issue of SCALPED for free here (pdf) - note that the preview is NOT safe for work:

http://www.dccomics.com/media/excerpts/7722_1.pdf

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Does anyone remember that bit? I think it was in a MOTW thread, or maybe the giant "Awesome comic moments" thread, where two guys are fighting an army of midgets? I was pretty much sold by those few panels, but now I forget what the series was called.

Help?

i think that was a punisher comic.

PantheraOnca on
    edited June 2008

I don't remember anyone fighting an army of little people in Nextwave. I do remember them beating up nameless ones. And making killer koala bears explode. And killing the heck out of Beyond (TM) Corp Broccoli Android thingies.

Found it, it's "Brit", apparently.

From the "Goddamn Batman Words With Both of You Etc" Thread:
    Munch wrote: »
    From Brit by Bruce Brown and Cliff Rathburn.
    brit01p17cc2.jpg

Read the first issue for free here. It isn't selling nearly as well as it should be, and I'm convinced it's only because people are unaware of its existence.

Forar on
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't have a scan, but in X-Factor when they
    end up in Detroit, there is a pretty awesome shot of the woman walking in needing help. The building in the background is

http://www.forgottendetroit.com/mcs/index.html

The Michigan Central Depot, this really huge awesome building in Detroit that is abandoned. I wouldn't know about it except I was driving around down there trying to find something (NOT a good area) and saw this huge building. It is massive.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2008
    I really like how the new Fables trade tied in with basically the whole run. I mean, it dropped references to just about every volume released so far, and opened up possibilities for story arcs that could exist even if they take out the Adversary.

And aside from a few small spots, the problems I tend to have with Willingham's dialogue were practically nonexistent. It was pretty great.

DJ Eebs on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Found it, it's "Brit", apparently.

From the "Goddamn Batman Words With Both of You Etc" Thread:
    Munch wrote: »
    From Brit by Bruce Brown and Cliff Rathburn.
    brit01p17cc2.jpg

Read the first issue for free here. It isn't selling nearly as well as it should be, and I'm convinced it's only because people are unaware of its existence.
    why is that tank such an appalling shade of pink

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
    edited June 2008
    Operation Petticoat reference?

Operation_Petticoat_poster.jpg

Robos A Go Go on
This discussion has been closed.