As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer constantly restarting

BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I just installed a new motherboard (EVGA 750i SLI FTW) and CPU (Core 2 Duo E8400 3 GHz), and now my computer will start up and go for about a minute before restarting every few seconds. From what I've read, I may need a new power supply, but I thought I'd check with you folks in case it could be something that wouldn't require I spend more money.

BionicPenguin on

• Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Is it running particularly hot? Sometimes those sorts of things are also cooling issues (though PSU does sound very plausible).

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This happened to me when I was still learning how to build my own computers. I had bought a Geforce3 when it was brand new. I didn't know about amperege and had bought a cheap ass power supply that was rated for high wattage but put out shit on the 12V line. This exact thing happened...frequent reboots without warning, especially during games. Turned out the power requirements of the new card were more than it could handle.

If possible, take your memory out and run it on someone else's system under Prime95 before buying the new power supply.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    Oz K. FodrotskiOz K. Fodrotski Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What is your power supply's wattage?

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What is your power supply's wattage?

And, since that number if of limited use, how many amps over your 12V line? This information should be present in a table on the side of the supply.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    and here, ladies and gentlemen is the perfect time to bring up Monolithic_Dome's 1st rule of building your own computer

You don't cheap out on power!

Power issues are a bitch to diagnose, pop up at the worse possible times, and usually end up with you buying a better PSU anyway. A bad PSU can also fry other precious components.

In fact I just spent three goddamn days dealing with a PC that I bought off of someone I found on craigslist. Got a decent deal, worked at his house, but I get it home and install a wireless card and the thing goes insane with freezes and graphical glitches. I try all sorts of driver shit and even reinstall the OS (wanted XP over vista anyway), and lo and behold it turns out that a new PSU sets everything back to normal.

Anyway, back to the OP: your issue sounds like one (or a combination) of 3 things: heat, power, bad memory. If you have access to a better PSU (from a friend's PC maybe), you can open both PCs up, set them next to each other, and use the PSU of one to run the other. It's a little crazy, but it can tell you if you are in new PSU land.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    does your computer post normally? or is it one long beep?

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    This is my power supply. I don't know why I didn't think of posting this earlier...
    JebusUD wrote:
    I don't entirely understand the question but there aren't any long beeps.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    It looks like the problem is CPU temperature. I checked the BIOS and it hit 90 C and kept climbing (that's when I shut it off). I seems the heat sink that was included with the CPU doesn't attach to the motherboard properly (only 2 of the 4 pegs can go in at a time).

EDIT: Problem solved. The heat sinks that come with Intel CPUs are a pain to get on there. Thanks for all the help, folks.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This is my power supply. I don't know why I didn't think of posting this earlier...
    JebusUD wrote:
    I don't entirely understand the question but there aren't any long beeps.

When a computer starts it makes a series of beeps from the little speaker that are code for different errors. If it is one long beep usually the motherboard is dying.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Ah ok. Probably a good thing to know. Thanks.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ah! Another person having trouble with those HORRIBLE Intel heatsinks.

WHY did they make them that way? It makes me upset that they could botch something so badly that they already had WORKING. There was nothing wrong with the clip concept. What the hell made them decide to use those stupid plastic pins? =(

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095