As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Trinity: Another weekly series from DC

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2008
    possibly? I'm definitely not going to pax, but I might be able to talk people into going to wizard world chicago with me

DJ Eebs on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2008
    will you kidnap chuck dixon and send him to me

Garlic Bread on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Keith I'm gonna get a bunch of Darwyn Cooke sketches of Marvel characters at Baltimore

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2008
    he only draws cool characters so good luck with that

Garlic Bread on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    bale get him to draw Captain Punisher

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited June 2008
    but try not to get mugged afterwards

Garlic Bread on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    well it is in Baltimore

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    you gon' get raped

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I liked the main story, except for the fact they were meeting in their secret identities when it would've been so much easier if they were to meet as superheroes. And then when WW said that they were both making a game out of it and neither of them denied it, it just made Superman and Batman seem really childish. Kind of jarring. I mean, I could imagine Robin, Wonder Girl and Superboy doing that, but not the grown-ups.

The back-up was kinda lame. Is that toolbox with the stick and ball a new character?

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hey Bale, do you mean Cooke will actually do the sketches right there at the show for you? I'm going to meet him at Heroes-con and I don't quite know the protocol about asking artists for sketches. I want Frank Cho to draw something for me but I don't know if he does that, plus it would probably cost more than I want to pay.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    KVW wrote: »
    The backup was odd. I liked Morgan Le Fay, but Enigma, who I've heard is from the future and some kind of Riddler meets Two-Face character, but sounded more like fan musings than fact (could be from that weird future where Green Arrow was in Gotham and what looked like Hanged Man from Astro City), was just downright annoying for me

I took a look at the scan of that page up on Weekly Crisis. Can't believe someone hasn't recognized the other hero yet...
    ...considering he's a known Gotham hero and part of the Shadowpact. :) It's Ragman and what seems to be a 'Ragboy'.

Owenashi on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    is this out?

oh well

Sars_Boy on
  • CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Owenashi wrote: »
    I took a look at the scan of that page up on Weekly Crisis. Can't believe someone hasn't recognized the other hero yet...
    ...considering he's a known Gotham hero and part of the Shadowpact. :) It's Ragman and what seems to be a 'Ragboy'.
    Newsarama confirms that is it indeed Ragman w/ "Rag-Boy" (why that...Rag-Lad rolls much more gracefully off the tongue)...However, they hinted it may be Bruce Wayne & (insert male Robin of your choice) in an alternate future.

Alternate Future? Again? Didn't that well run dry for DC a long, long time ago?

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    possibly? I'm definitely not going to pax, but I might be able to talk people into going to wizard world chicago with me

I plan on being at Wizard World, as well as Gencon. So um....will you be the 7 foot tall guy with the top hat and the beard?

Bucketman on
    edited June 2008
    i have to say, i am not really digging the way Bagley draws the Trinity. His Superman looks coked out, Wonder Woman looks like a Bagley woman, and Batman's Black Panther ears make his head look weird

I loved the way he drew Flash in #1, though

Garlic Bread on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I will give Trinity till issue 5 to impress me. If I'm not hooked by then, and I mean *really* hooked, I'll pass.

Lucascraft on
    edited June 2008
    Anyone else pick up Trinity #3? Like I said last week, I'll give them till issue 5 before I make my decision. However, after 3 issues I'm pretty much to the point of not caring. I like Buisek, but he needs to get out with the plot already. The story is moving much too slowly to hold my interest for a whole year at this rate.

Lucascraft on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This week in Trinity: Nothing happens.

The last two weeks were mostly exposition. I wonder if it's a bad sign that the pace slows to a crawl the moment there is a lull in the exposition (or the moment the exposition is done).

What's with the back half? With hundreds of c-listers, is it really necessary to create a new character?

TeaSpoon on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Now I'm not reading trinity, but generally wasn't it most peoples opinion that 52 didn't get good until around 15 or so issues in? I mean it is a weekly series so you can't expect it to move like a regular monthly book.

smokmnky on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    At least 52 had characters who weren't already over-exposed before being attached to yet another title.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Darth NatDarth Nat Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That's why I have no desire to get into Trinity. I could deal with the slow pace in 52 because it was pretty much the only book where I could read about Question, Black Adam, Booster Gold, et al. Why should I read a slow-paced book about three characters that already have their own books, appear in JLA regularly, and in the case of Batman and Superman, have God only knows how many other books at any given time? Not to mention the fact that there have already been sixty bazillion books written about the Trinity.

Darth Nat on
    edited June 2008
    I'm still curious to see how Trinity is affected by the Batman RIP storyline. I mean, part of what makes the trinity what it is - is that Clark, Diana, and Bruce are friends. A new Batman, even if he were operating at the same capacity as Bruce, would still be the odd-man out simply because he doesn't have the relationship that these 3 have.

And I don't think that a new Batman would be operating at the same capacity as Bruce. Tim and Dick are both awesome, but neither of them are the pinnacle of human perfection. The new Batman is gonna take a big drop in power as he learns the ropes and tunes his craft.

Also, Enigma and that girl he's with (forget the name) with their behind-the-scenes scheming, are specifically chatting about those 3 characters as being the cornerstones of some celestial plot. If Bruce is suddenly out of the picture, that throws off the whole cornerstone thing.

Trinity pretty much will have to be outside of continuity for it to be any good.

Lucascraft on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't think Trinity is going to be affected by R.I.P. And I think it might still technically be in continuity, but taking place in a time that isn't affected by Final Crisis or R.I.P.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Maybe the entire point is to show what happens when the Trinity falls apart?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »
    Now I'm not reading trinity, but generally wasn't it most peoples opinion that 52 didn't get good until around 15 or so issues in? I mean it is a weekly series so you can't expect it to move like a regular monthly book.

Yes, but you see, 52 took place in real time. By virtue of time moving, the writers were basically forced to move the story along. You know how people take cartoons, cut them up in tiny pieces, and put them on YouTube? You get the same effect in trinity. We spent two issues now on the same battle, in which nothing happens, as if cut off in mid sentence (which I now realize should have been one 22 page issue, even though nothing happened).

The whole things feels disjointed. I think the writers need to get used to writing a weekly. You can't just take a normal comic and chop it up. But yes, only three issues. It will get better.

Edited for clarity.

TeaSpoon on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Just like Countdown got better!

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Just like Countdown got better!

Countdown also lacked the forced structure of 52, which I really think led to pretty self-contained issues that were more rewarding for the reader. I remember reading a Newsarama interview with one of the writers who said that they couldn't have a single event happening over 3 weeks because it wouldn't make sense.

I just read the previous issues of Trinity along with the new one, and it seems better that way. But that makes me just want to wait for the trades instead.

JoeUser on
    edited June 2008
    If anyone's interested in details, Newsarama has annotations for Trinity issue #3

It's pretty neat and explains who that guy was in the backup issue. Also, Kurt Busiek responded to it in the comments and gave some hints.

JoeUser on
    edited June 2008
    enigma is either Riddler or Cluemaster, I think

morgaine le fay said that Enigma has a mad-on for batman

Garlic Bread on
    edited June 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    enigma is either Riddler or Cluemaster, I think

morgaine le fay said that Enigma has a mad-on for batman

It can't be cluemaster for the reason that he appears halfway competent and might even prove to be successful at what he does.

Also, he's not getting beaten up by his daughter.

TeaSpoon on
    edited June 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Who's Enigma? New character?

A lot of people are speculating that it's Riddler, due to the name, green in the collar of his suit, and the question mark shaped staff. I'm saying Cluemaster though, due to the question/riddle theme and this solicitation image.

Garlic Bread on
    edited June 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Who's Enigma? New character?

A lot of people are speculating that it's Riddler, due to the name, green in the collar of his suit, and the question mark shaped staff. I'm saying Cluemaster though, due to the question/riddle theme and this solicitation image.

What am I looking at here? What exactly is it a solicitation for? I'll believe you if that's suppose to depict Enigma, since it matches the image on Cluemaster's wiki page exactly. However, I don't think they'd give it away this early.

TeaSpoon on
    edited June 2008
    That's the solicitation for an upcoming issue of Robin (although it might have changed since Dixon is off the book). That's Cluemaster coming after Robin for Stephanie or something

Garlic Bread on
    edited June 2008
    That's the solicitation for an upcoming issue of Robin (although it might have changed since Dixon is off the book). That's Cluemaster coming after Robin for Stephanie or something

How is that proof of anything? We know he could be something less than ineffectual from the Suicide Squad and the Batman arc later. And isn't him coming after Robin as Cluemaster evidence that he isn't Enigma? I mean, if I had hyper-science at my disposal, I would totally use it to kill the kid boning my daughter.

And when did Cluemaster suddenly turn into a genius smartass who wields Le Fay defying machinery? The MO doesn't fit, either before or after his change of image.

And Stephanie is alive, why would he ev- oh never mind.

TeaSpoon on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    What am I looking at here? What exactly is it a solicitation for? I'll believe you if that's suppose to depict Enigma, since it matches the image on Cluemaster's wiki page exactly. However, I don't think they'd give it away this early.

I posted that originally just to point out that his scarring almost exactly matches Enigma's.

If you need more of an explanation, Cluemaster is a skilled gadgeteer, strategist, and planner. These are all attributes Enigma possesses. Busiek has also said Enigma's an established character. Cluemaster's the only one that's not A) the Riddler or B) ridiculously obscure. And there's no way it will be the Riddler. He's been a central character in Dini's Detective Comics since the beginning, and his reform into a proper semi-heroic detective has been one of the best things to spring out of Detective Comics. I don't see Busiek mucking about with him until Dini's done with the character.

So unless it ends up being L-Ron in a man suit or something equally obscure, Cluemaster's the only one that makes sense to me.

Munch on
    edited June 2008

I posted that originally just to point out that his scarring almost exactly matches Enigma's.

If you need more of an explanation, Cluemaster is a skilled gadgeteer, strategist, and planner. These are all attributes Enigma possesses. Busiek has also said Enigma's an established character. Cluemaster's the only one that's not A) the Riddler or B) ridiculously obscure. And there's no way it will be the Riddler. He's been a central character in Dini's Detective Comics since the beginning, and his reform into a proper semi-heroic detective has been one of the best things to spring out of Detective Comics. I don't see Busiek mucking about with him until Dini's done with the character.

So unless it ends up being L-Ron in a man suit or something equally obscure, Cluemaster's the only one that makes sense to me.

Enigma, though. Edward Nigma. Yeah, I realize that could very well be a red herring.

I still don't think Cluemaster fits. He was never especially skilled. In fact, Spoiler often mentions what a fantastic failure he is as a father, a villain, and a human being. He isn't clever enough to use super science and to explain how it works.

From the evidence presented to me, I don't think it's him. Of course, that doesn't stop the writer from rationalizing it after the big reveal with a long flashback in which all the inconsistencies are explained away with stuff the reader could never possibly have known. Trinity is not a detective story, after all.

Cluemaster is my second choice after the Riddler, and then only because, as you said, no other possibility has been found yet.

TeaSpoon on
    edited June 2008
    man now I want it to be L-Ron in a man suit

thanks a lot, munch

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    L-Ron did once wear Despero's body.

You never know.

Munch on
    edited June 2008
    JoeUser on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

How is that proof of anything? We know he could be something less than ineffectual from the Suicide Squad and the Batman arc later. And isn't him coming after Robin as Cluemaster evidence that he isn't Enigma? I mean, if I had hyper-science at my disposal, I would totally use it to kill the kid boning my daughter.

And when did Cluemaster suddenly turn into a genius smartass who wields Le Fay defying machinery? The MO doesn't fit, either before or after his change of image.

And Stephanie is alive, why would he ev- oh never mind.

It might explain a little of why Dixon left DC. They could have sprung it on him that Engima was Cluemaster and he wouldn't be able to use him anymore or the way he had intended or something.

However, I've been assuming this is some alternate Earth or future version of Riddler and Two-Face combined, similar to the Ragman and Green Arrow / Speedie in Gotham future / dream image.

KVW on