As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What you didn't know about the games you play

Omnicron9999Omnicron9999 Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Games and Technology
EDIT: I started this thread as a place to post funny, or entertaining gaming glitches...it has since been taken over by completely awesome insider info about popular games. So I figured it was time to change this thread a bit.

I guess you can still post glitches, that vaguely falls under the title.

Oh, thanks to TSR for the thread title, and for just having a almost creepy amount of knowledge of Sonic games.

Original OP:

Anyway, I stumbled to my computer quite drunk last night, thinking I should play something or other. So I started up a bot match in Battlefield 2, I don't remember mutch about the actual game I played, but thats not really the point.

So I come back to my comp earlier today, and the game is at the menu, but in the state that it is when you press ESC during at match, i.e. a game is in progress.

So I hit ESC to get back into the game, thinking I might play a round or two. So the game is at the initial spawn screen, I pick my kit and go at it. When I actually get in the game, NOTHING is going on. Not a single bot is moving or responding to orders, they're all clumped around the spawn points. I even went up to enemies and they didn't even react. Believe me, it was an amazing 5 minutes that I spent bombarding the hell out of those hapless bots with wave after wave of artillery...

Yeah, I was probably still a little drunk...

I figure it was the constant running all night, and maybe the AI got...tired? (lol) Anyway, share your funny, entertaining, cool, or just weird glitches here.

Omnicron9999 on

• Demon LemonDemon Lemon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    One thing about Star Wars Galaxies was that it was full of glitches.
    Well one day I was grinding out the rest of fencer and I was flailing away at a squill and then all the sudden the computer freezes and it comes back to normal. But something happened the squill was attacking me, but i wasn't getting hit at all, I kept dodging all the attacks it threw at me.
    It only lasted about 10 minutes but those 10 minutes were fun

Demon Lemon on
    logo.gif
  • ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I can't even imagine playing FFVI without the glitch.

ArcticXC on
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    my friend was playing ff6 and the game glitched out and he had 99 of every item and equipment in his inventory.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • omgboomlolomgboomlol __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Missingno.gif

omgboomlol on
    omgboomlolud1.gif
  • core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    MISSINGNO is the best Pokemon ever. Srsly.

Anyways, one time in Halo 2, I was playing Co-op. We got in an elevator, and a FISH flew threw the elevator and both of us.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Jesus McChristJesus McChrist Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    KotOR + Mash "Y" = Jedi Rave. WAHAHAHAHWHMMM WAHWHAHWMM WHWHWHMMM WHMMM WHMM WHMM WHM WHMWHWMWHWMWHWMWHWMWHWM *crash*

Jesus McChrist on
    if you can read this i hope you have a good day partner
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    metalarmszh2.jpg

did I do it right?

LewieP on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    No.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    omgboomlol wrote:
    Missingno.gif
    Pfft, I preferred the level zero M[].M

Now that guy had class.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Using the vertical angle jump glitch in Shadow of the Colossus to reach the hidden garden was actually kind of a fun challenge. Plus it was just kind of awe inspiring to get up there and look around.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I glitched the battle system when fighting the uber-boss in DDS. This is evidenced by how my battle system worked for me and only me. It let me beat him. Nothing has been as entertaining as that.
    [spoiler:2c3bda2cd6]Alright, maybe taking Fierce Deity Link all around Termina but that's it![/spoiler:2c3bda2cd6]

Gilder on
  • Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Play any song in career mode with the Grim ripper as your rocker. Exit to the menu screen, go back into career mode and the Grim Ripper will be weilding a Gibson Les Paul instead of his default, usually unchangable scythe. This looks way cooler in my opinion

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Play any song in career mode with the Grim ripper as your rocker. Exit to the menu screen, go back into career mode and the Grim Ripper will be weilding a Gibson Les Paul instead of his default, usually unchangable scythe. This looks way cooler in my opinion

There's a similar glitch where you can get the scythe on a non-Grim character, so long as they have more than one outfit.

Simon Moon on
    Steam: simon moon
  • Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Simon Moon wrote:

There's a similar glitch where you can get the scythe on a non-Grim character, so long as they have more than one outfit.

elaborate.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • omgboomlolomgboomlol __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Usually when I play a game it's pretty rare when I find a glitch that works in my favor. For example when I played Half-life and take an elevator going up, good ol Gordons feet would get stuck in the floor. Rendering him completely immobile.

omgboomlol on
    omgboomlolud1.gif
    edited January 2007
    omgboomlol wrote:
    Usually when I play a game it's pretty rare when I find a glitch that works in my favor. For example when I played Half-life and take an elevator going up, good ol Gordons feet would get stuck in the floor. Rendering him completely immobile.
    I had that happen a few times, pretty much only porblem I can think of with halflife.

LewieP on
  • DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ~ open the console

noclip

problem solved

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Iz-GOodIz-GOod Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Look for NKI on Youtube, it's a group that released lots of combo videos and glitch videos for tons of fighting games. My favorites are the Mortal Kombat ones. God those games are glitchy.

Iz-GOod on
    Spizler wrote:
    Also, those green squares can go to hell, along with the tiny purple triangles that like to spawn right next to me while I'm trying to evade a horde of those pink splitters.
    TekkenUserBarIz-GOod.jpg
  • ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Iz-GOod wrote:
    Look for NKI on Youtube, it's a group that released lots of combo videos and glitch videos for tons of fighting games. My favorites are the Mortal Kombat ones. God those games are glitchy.
    Some are posted by Ownage Jones.

Our Ownage Jones?

Scrumtrulescent on
    edited January 2007
    uses a gamewshark, but still. Bloody hell!

LewieP on
    edited January 2007
    Iz-GOod wrote:
    Some are posted by Ownage Jones.

Our Ownage Jones?

wow.. these videos are fantastic.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    In Quest For Glory (or at least the second one), there were a number of ways to cause the game to crash with things you should have been able to do. You'd get a dialog box that said, "Whoops! Looks like you did something we didn't expect. Sorry, you're going to have to restart" (or something like that).

The best way to do this is to cast Reversal (a spell that reflects offensive spells back at their caster), and then try to cast an offensive spell on yourself. (The spells were aimed, so you could just put the target over your character.)

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Simon Moon wrote:

elaborate.

It happened to me by accident, and I couldn't replicate it, but a quick google for guitar hero ii glitches says that selecting the ripper, then going back to the select screen and picking someone whose alternate outfit is unlocked gives them the scythe.

Simon Moon on
    Steam: simon moon
  • TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Selling thousands of landers in Star Control 2.

There was an old stunt driving game where you if you positioned the jump ramps just right, and hit at the right angle when landing, you'd bounce into the sky. The ascent lasted nearly a couple minutes, and then your car would fall to earth like a meteor.

Tiemler on
  • ecchiecchi Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Bunnyhopping and rocket jumping are the best glitches ever.

ecchi on
    edited January 2007
    Also, Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin has a glitch where you can keep getting the rewards of a side-quest over and over.

...though that isn't so much entertaining as game-breaking.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Omnicron9999Omnicron9999 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Tiemler wrote:
    Selling thousands of landers in Star Control 2.

There was an old stunt driving game where you if you positioned the jump ramps just right, and hit at the right angle when landing, you'd bounce into the sky. The ascent lasted nearly a couple minutes, and then your car would fall to earth like a meteor.

YES!!!

I think it was called Stunts(z), you could make your own ridiculous tracks, and hilarity would ensue.

Omnicron9999 on
    edited January 2007
    ecchi wrote:
    Bunnyhopping and rocket jumping are the best glitches ever.

turned an average shooter into something magical.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
  • SilvanosSilvanos Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Glitching 99 masamunes/excaliburs into your inventory in FFIV for throwing

Skiing in Starseige Tribes.

Silvanos on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Boiling Point!

Yeah the entire game. Basically one big glitch :D

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    There was a glitch in GTA3 that sent your car flying and spinning at a ridiculous rate if you got hit just right by the monorail. I may have done it successfully like four times, it was pretty tough. There was a video of it, but searching on youtube only nets a thousand different GTA glitches.
    I played the hell out of that game, but that seemed to burn any desire to play any other game in the series.

AshtonDragon on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Tribes skiing.

FreddyD on
  • FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Midtown Madness 3 has an easter egg where if you go to Lincoln Memorial and stare at Abe for a while, the screen will go black and white and grainy, and everything will be sped up to look like old video footage.

To accomplish this, the programmers took the easy way out by altering the global game timing. What they forgot to do was to restore it when you exited to the main menu... and entered Xbox Live.

There were some fun voice comments to be heard when you'd outrun the sports cars in a bus. Going backwards. Meep meep!

Firebrand on
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    540ej6.png
    The Imfamous Hidden Palace Zone

s2naghz1xt4.png
    Yeah, that's tails. Yeah, that's greenhill zone, from Sonic 1.

TheSonicRetard on
    edited January 2007
    tails in sonic one? buh? is that on a mega drive + game genie or some other wierd hack? or is it sonic jam/mega collection?

LewieP on
    edited January 2007
    None of the above. Can't explain. Just enjoy some more pictures:

s2naghz3ax3.png
    s2naghzmons2jr9.png
    s2naghzmons6mr9.png
    s2naghz4jg5.png

TheSonicRetard on
    edited January 2007
    Looks like a ROM hack to me.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
    edited January 2007
    And, shit, while we're at it...

s3liw2.jpg
    s3osf3.jpg
    levelselay2.gif

The above 3 images are from sonic 3, not sonic 2.

There is so much cool shit in the sonic world...

TheSonicRetard on
    edited January 2007
    Looks like a ROM hack to me.

Again, no it's not.

TheSonicRetard on
  • RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Why is it so impossible for you to explain, then?

Remington on