As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WishWeCouldPlay] Civilization: Revolution

VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Games and Technology
So, maybe this is unhealthy... ever since I downloaded the Civ: Revolution demo on the XBox 360, I've played the silly demo like... probably 10 times. I've never played a Civilization game before, but there's something unhealthfully addicting about it.

Has anyone else taken a liking to the demo? ... would it be worth the price tag when it comes out? I may have to snag one of the previous Civilization games to tide me over. =)

EDIT: Darn it... I'm getting the urge again. I'm going to go play the demo one more time. It's a somewhat frustrating experience, only having so many turns and so much diversity. =)

3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
VThornheart on

• Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, maybe this is unhealthy... ever since I downloaded the Civ: Revolution demo on the XBox 360, I've played the silly demo like... probably 10 times. I've never played a Civilization game before, but there's something unhealthfully addicting about it.

Has anyone else taken a liking to the demo? ... would it be worth the price tag when it comes out? I may have to snag one of the previous Civilization games to tide me over. =)

I'm of the opinion that full price for a version that is significantly more shallow than say, Civ IV is a bit of a rip-off.

I like the demo, but I don't think I'll be picking up the full game until/unless it's maybe 20, 30 bucks.

Vincent Grayson on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ooh! So Civ IV is more detailed? I've never played a Civ game before, so I didn't know what the drill was on the series... but more detailed is better to me.

I agree, I couldn't imagine paying more than 30 for it as well. The 60 dollar price tag was bumming me out... I was figuring that I'd entertain myself with other games until the price dropped.

But maybe I could pick up Civ IV on the cheap. I'll see if I can find it, thanks! =)

EDIT 2: So I told my wife that I want to pick up Civ IV... she goes into our bedroom, rummages for a few minutes, and comes out with a copy of it, still in the box! Apparently one of her friends wanted the game, bought it, decided he didn't want it and gave it to her... and she threw it in our closet! =)

Installing it now! =) That was extreme luck. =)

VThornheart on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Haha, holy shit that was lucky. This may be the last we hear from you for a long time though VThornheart.

urahonky on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I want to re-install Civilization IV just for that INCREDIBLE main menu music again. Seriously, such a good song. Unfortunately I can't play any PC games for a few more days because I'm on some God awful laptop. :(

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dashui wrote: »
    I want to re-install Civilization IV just for that INCREDIBLE main menu music again. Seriously, such a good song. Unfortunately I can't play any PC games for a few more days because I'm on some God awful laptop. :(

Which one? The "tribal" sounding one? I agree. I fucking love that... I was depressed that it wasn't in the expansions. One of them has the option to load that song though. :P

urahonky on
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    *Puts hat over heart*

VThorn, say farewell to your friends, coworkers, family, etc. Civilization sucks you in like no other, it's widely considered the worst "time sucker" series of all time.

P.S. Manual makes great bathroom reading material. In-game Civilopedia answers any question you may have.

Zenitram on
    edited June 2008
    urahonky wrote: »

Which one? The "tribal" sounding one? I agree. I fucking love that... I was depressed that it wasn't in the expansions. One of them has the option to load that song though. :P

I would just stay at the main menu and listen to that song over and over again. Anyways, I really need to pick up the expansions at some point, at the very least Beyond the Sword. That one seems like it has the really interesting content. I just bought the Galactic Civilizations 2 Twilight of the Anor expansion pack, though, so I don't have any money to throw around right now.

Dashui on
  • ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    After Civilization, you should try some Master of Orion, preferrably starting with MoO1 and then going to MoO2.

This way you can totally kill any hope of social life.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
    edited June 2008
    Arde wrote: »
    After Civilization, you should try some Master of Orion, preferrably starting with MoO1 and then going to MoO2.

I plan on installing Civilization IV, Medieval 2, Heroes of Might and Magic V, and GC2 with all the expansions when I'm back on my desktop. I should just end myself while I still have my sanity. :D

Dashui on
    edited June 2008

lol! =) I just jumped back onto the forum to say pretty much just that!

I've spent the last five minutes just sitting at the main menu, watching the clouds and sun spin around and listening to the login music.

I fear I may never escape from this game. =) This was both an extremely lucky and extremely unlucky find at the same time. =)

Shoot... the manual's nowhere to be found though (Zenitram mentioned that the manual's a good read). The box had two discs (VERY dirty... I had to clean them off with a rag to get them to finally install), a GIGANTIC map of the tech tree, and that's it. My wife says she saw the manual somewhere, I'll have to dig for it.

What have I done? =) lol

I also went to the website and grabbed the patch, and what appears to be a full SDK? Holy crap! That alone's got my interest piqued. =)

EDIT: Does the words they're singing in the main menu music MEAN anything? Are they speaking a specific language, or is it just jibberish talk (like when the units talk in Civ: Revolution?)

EDIT 2: You can be FDR? Saladin??? I'm in love! Starting my first game now, as the mystical, philosophical king of the Middle East! =)

VThornheart on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You should buy Beyond the Sword too.

tofu on
    edited June 2008
    It's a real language, VThornheart.

The opening menu music from the highly acclaimed Civilization 4 features Talisman A Cappella, the award-winning singing group that Chris used to music direct. The lyrics are a Swahili adaptation of the Lord's prayer: "Our Father, who art in heaven..."

Dashui on
    edited June 2008
    Zenitram on
    edited June 2008
    There's another reason why I might not want to get Revolution - it doesn't have that song. That song really gets you pumped up to start building a civilization. I'll usually listen to the whole thing before I even start playing.

Dashui on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Stupid question: I have CivII Gold and Galactic Civilizations 1, never played them much. Is Civ4 really that big a jump?

Frem on
    edited June 2008

I plan on installing Civilization IV, Medieval 2, Heroes of Might and Magic V, and GC2 with all the expansions when I'm back on my desktop. I should just end myself while I still have my sanity. :D

Classic case of death by strat games.

Arde on

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
    edited June 2008
    Frem wrote: »
    Stupid question: I have CivII Gold and Galactic Civilizations 1, never played them much. Is Civ4 really that big a jump?

Nope, Civ actually has some really good tutorials to get you used to the world of 4X strategy games.

So CIV is actually recommended for those beginning to play strat games.

Arde on

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
    edited June 2008
    I don't believe he was asking if it was a big jump in difficultly, Arde. He's asking if it's all that different from the second game and worth buying. I've never played Civilization II, so I can't answer that question. It is, however, pretty!

Dashui on
    edited June 2008
    Frem wrote: »

I have played Civ II-IV, then I gave GalCiv2 a try and did a big WTF? and never really played it again.

Zenitram on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There's another reason why I might not want to get Revolution - it doesn't have that song. That song really gets you pumped up to start building a civilization. I'll usually listen to the whole thing before I even start playing.

But it HAS that song. In the opening cinematic!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Klyka wrote: »

BUT AT THE MAIN MENU WITH A ROTATING EARTH AND SUN HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH?

Dashui on
    edited June 2008

BUT AT THE MAIN MENU WITH A ROTATING EARTH AND SUN HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH?

I...It....I think it...There's some music ok? And it goes like "dudududu" and you can like,rotate your head a bit I guess? Maybe look at a poster of Al Gore in front of the planet?

WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME????

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    so i thought this wasn't out yet but i found it fairly cheap (au$80. shh, that's cheap here) today.

as a civ iv buff i kind of expected it to be much shallower than the real thing, and it is, but it's by no means a bad game. it's very easy, but i kind of like burning through a quick one with a game that's geared for that sort of play. i also really appreciate that 'war' doesn't mean 'instant decimation unless you're prepared for it' here - wars come and go and come again without so much as a battle more often than not.

i don't know if it's just the ps3 version, but it's very choppy. panning between cities brings up a lot of stutter, but that's nothing compared to the frustration of a stuttering civilopedia. right now i'm watching the credits roll and it's like a bloody slideshow. it seemed to relax during the majority of gameplay and it's by no means intolerable, but it's not quite right

also, no world map? what? am i missing something?

anyway i'd recommend it to civ newbies or retard addicts like me who'll play it no matter what package it comes in.

oh! i also noticed in the back of the manual mention of a 'game of the week' - basically a starting save-state uploaded to psn every week to play-through and be ranked alongside everyone else who plays the same game. that's something that would definitely keep me playing. i'd easily pay a few hours a week for a finished round of civ i can be ranked on

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    edited June 2008

The opening menu music from the highly acclaimed Civilization 4 features Talisman A Cappella, the award-winning singing group that Chris used to music direct. The lyrics are a Swahili adaptation of the Lord's prayer: "Our Father, who art in heaven..."

Slick! =) That's awesome =)

So, I just finished my first Civ game. I was utterly decimated (due to coming to points at 2050). Apparently I have the leadership skills of Dan Quayle. I'd better work on that. =)

But... bedtime first. Must sleep. =) Then I have to figure out how to increase population. I think my big problem was that none of my cities got beyond 1 population, no matter what I did. I built a small ocean of farms to increase food supply. Must... find... the... manual... =)

VThornheart on
    edited June 2008

So, I just finished my first Civ game. I was utterly decimated (due to coming to points at 2050). Apparently I have the leadership skills of Dan Quayle. I'd better work on that. =)

But... bedtime first. Must sleep. =) Then I have to figure out how to increase population. I think my big problem was that none of my cities got beyond 1 population, no matter what I did. I built a small ocean of farms to increase food supply. Must... find... the... manual... =)

wait what? it's impossible that you played till 2050 and not ONE city got higher than 1. You can't even build a settler without having more than 1 pop!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Hmm... I'm pretty sure I just had population 1. I built two cities, and the population meter always showed as "stagnant" and 1 population.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Or maybe I'm reading the wrong statistic? All I know is, my goal was to climb the tech tree like a madman... and no matter what I did, my opponents could build faster. I ended up only about halfway up the tech tree by 2050, and everyone had pretty much tripled/quadrupled me in points at the end of the game.

EDIT: The number in the silver star is your population, right? If that's your population, it's read 1 on my capital all game. I took a barbarian village for my second town, which had 2 population for about 2 turns, then went down to one. I'm still playing it now, I said "Wait... just one more turn!" after the game ended, so it let me continue. I built two settlers, had them each build a city... those have population 1 as well. =(

EDIT: Wait again! one of the cities I built after it was over is growing a second population! The other three cities all say "stagnant", but this fourth city has "growing (7 turns)" on it. I don't know what the difference is that caused it to grow. My capital has like 50 million farms surrounding it on all sides, it should have the food to grow.

Crap. I didn't build roads. Do they need roads to count? Maybe I built all of that for nothing. lol! Ugh. =) I'll learn the ropes eventually. =)

VThornheart on
  • GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

wait what? it's impossible that you played till 2050 and not ONE city got higher than 1. You can't even build a settler without having more than 1 pop!

You can build a settler immediately in Civ4... it just uses all your extra food+shields (I think civ2 was the last one where it used up a population point, though maybe it was civ3?)

But yeah, I don't really understand how you could possibly have not gotten a city higher than one, unless you either a) were only building workers/settlers, or b) built every single city in the center of a desert

Gdiguy on
    edited June 2008
    I built mostly workers, and some military units (I built Catapults when I got to them for example).

I think I must've just picked a really, really crappy place for my capital. That fourth city I built that I said was producing population? I played through a few more turns just now... it's already up to 5 population. Location must be a really important thing.

VThornheart on
  • GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I built mostly workers, and some military units (I built Catapults when I got to them for example).

I think I must've just picked a really, really crappy place for my capital. That fourth city I built that I said was producing population? I played through a few more turns just now... it's already up to 5 population. Location must be a really important thing.

It's pretty important, though most places should be able to get to at least 5 or 6 pop without difficulty (save for the aformentioned desert)... the game usually spawns your settler in a good location with a good amount of resource tiles (though some may not be visible), so if you stay in that area your capital should be pretty decent

When you build most things, it uses only production (i.e., shields), and your excess food goes to increasing population; when you build settlers or workers, however, it uses both your shields and excess food to build them, so it halts your population growth during their building (which is why I usually wait until the city expands to 2 population before building my first settler/worker)

Gdiguy on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Yes, location is hugely important. You should make sure to check out the Civpedia articles about food, production, culture, and look over the various terrain types. In short, the terrain produces food, which the city uses to grow. Some terrains (plains, tundra) produce very little food, which means the city may not grow quickly or at all. Grassland, flood plains, and coast produce more food. Food resources (like sheep and wheat) generate even more, if you improve them using your workers.

Expect to be baffled and lose terribly for a while...Civ4 is very complex, and does not make things easy on beginners. You can try heading over to civfanatics.com, where you'll find more information and opinions than you could ever want.

As to Revolution, I'm tempted only because having Civ on my DS sounds good.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
    edited June 2008
    GoodOmens wrote: »

Yes, location is hugely important. You should make sure to check out the Civpedia articles about food, production, culture, and look over the various terrain types. In short, the terrain produces food, which the city uses to grow. Some terrains (plains, tundra) produce very little food, which means the city may not grow quickly or at all. Grassland, flood plains, and coast produce more food. Food resources (like sheep and wheat) generate even more, if you improve them using your workers.

Expect to be baffled and lose terribly for a while...Civ4 is very complex, and does not make things easy on beginners. You can try heading over to civfanatics.com, where you'll find more information and opinions than you could ever want.

As to Revolution, I'm tempted only because having Civ on my DS sounds good.

I don't remember Civilization IV being that complex. Certainly more complex than Revolution, but not mind breaking difficult by any means.

I just played more of the demo for Revolution, and while fun, damn it's simple. It really is a step back from the version we have on the PC, and I don't see why it had to be. Casual games sell well, yes, but this almost feels like it could be on the XBL Arcade instead of a full 60 dollar game. Still, it's fun to play Civilization on my couch and on a big screen television, and dammit I know my friends will be picking this up, too. So in the end there's a good chance I'll pick this up and go to war with all my buddies online. :)

Dashui on
    edited June 2008
    The reason why they made Revolution the way it is, is that they don't want the game to take days to finish.
    They wanted a multiplayer Civ. A Civ where you hop in and play 3-4 hours and it's DONE.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited June 2008
    The reason why they made Revolution the way it is, is that they don't want the game to take days to finish.
    They wanted a multiplayer Civ. A Civ where you hop in and play 3-4 hours and it's DONE.

Yeah, but I'm sure the casual market had something to do with it, too. I'm not arguing against Revolution, because it's Civillization! It's crazy fun and addictive. When the demo ended I was like, "WHAT THE FUCK?! I WAS ABOUT TO ATTACK ZULU AND GET REVENGE, YOU SONNUVABITCH!"

It did, however, make me want to play Civilization IV, and once I get back to my desktop PC that's the first thing I'm going to install.

Dashui on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's sad that I can't play Civ 4 without it being choppy as hell and near unplayable and in chinese.

It really is. :(

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    edited June 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »
    It's sad that I can't play Civ 4 without it being choppy as hell and near unplayable and in chinese.

What?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »

What?

It means that I've got a crappy computer and the chinese version and it turns out that my chinese reading skills needs some serious brushing up.

Making it nearly unplayable.

I yearn for Civilization though. I'll get it once I get my Imac.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    edited June 2008
    I'm assuming we can have those big games in Revolution if we want to, yes? Because I love some big games, and Revolution does have more vibrant personality than IV.

Dashui on
    edited June 2008
    I'm assuming we can have those big games in Revolution if we want to, yes? Because I love some big games, and Revolution does have more vibrant personality than IV.

No you can't. One of the reviews specifically mentioned that it's impossible to have such an enormous game as Civ4 offers. Sadly :(

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    yeah the maps are very small and there's no real options in that regard

i just played again and it was good fun. wrapped up in less than two hours, i lost to a civ i didn't even meet, which was strange. it's good though, the game really encourages you to spend money, it's always pushing you forward with two-hands on your arse-cheeks so to speak - no time for micromanaging, and if you forget about one aspect of development you'll probably be supplemented enough with easy rewards

it certainly doesn't have the 'epic' feel which gives civ iv a lot of its charms, but the saisfaction of actually completing a game is one that you can't really feel so often with the pc version. i've already done it twice this evening with revolutions and they were both unique enough matches, and fun to play

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Don't forget Alpha Centauri, the drones need you.

Arrath on
This discussion has been closed.