As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Game rags

eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey, looking for some recommendations on game magazines and sites that are interesting reading. I'm hesitating to re-up my subscription to EGM because the style of writing is kinda boring to me.

eternalbl.png
eternalbl on

• LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Edge.

Thread over.

Yes, I lime'd myself and I announced the thread over. That's how right I am.
    BRING IT H&A!

Lewisham on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    We get EGM and GI. Honestly, GI is cheap, and EGM is free. GI gets good exclusives, and EGM has some funny editorial stuff.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • stawkstawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I prefer Game Informer to EGM.

GI seems a bit more honest to me and the 10% off used stuff at G-Stop aint half bad either

stawk on

stawk.jpg
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    With all the information available on the web weeks ahead of time, the only mag I'm actually subscribed to is GI, since they actually have exclusives every month. The magazines from the UK, especially EDGE, are much better quality, but are usually behind the times and ridiculously expensive.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I just get GI and read kotaku.com . Basically all the info you never needed.

Local H Jay on
  • eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How do you get EGM for free? They want me to pay 80 bucks for 3 years.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
    edited June 2008
    Spoit wrote: »
    With all the information available on the web weeks ahead of time, the only mag I'm actually subscribed to is GI, since they actually have exclusives every month. The magazines from the UK, especially EDGE, are much better quality, but are usually behind the times and ridiculously expensive.

Edge is now being printed in the US and distributed from there. It should arrive at the rough release date, rather than a month behind, like it used to.

Lewisham on
    edited June 2008
    Lewisham wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »

Edge is now being printed in the US and distributed from there. It should arrive at the rough release date, rather than a month behind, like it used to.

Would that still be the UK issue of edge? so I'll be reading about games that've been out here for months or even games that will never see a na release?

Also, big thanks to all the people that contributed. looks like I'll be getting my info from online. Edge is just too expensive at 130 bucks us for 2 years.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The Escapist is really the only post-crash consumer magazine with quality writing. If your library still has them, pre-crash issues of Next Generation and Wired were fucking amazing. Gamasutra is still great if you care about design issues.

supabeast on
    edited June 2008
    eternalbl wrote: »
    Would that still be the UK issue of edge? so I'll be reading about games that've been out here for months or even games that will never see a na release?

Also, big thanks to all the people that contributed. looks like I'll be getting my info from online. Edge is just too expensive at 130 bucks us for 2 years.

It's still the UK version, but they review English copies of games, so if there's a game out in North America, they'll review that. They won't review an untranslated Japanese game.

However, you've made up your mind already (and yeah, in American prices, it does cost a lot).

Lewisham on
    edited June 2008
    Lewisham wrote: »
    eternalbl wrote: »

It's still the UK version, but they review English copies of games, so if there's a game out in North America, they'll review that. They won't review an untranslated Japanese game.

However, you've made up your mind already (and yeah, in American prices, it does cost a lot).

I wouldn't say I've given up on it quite yet, I'm gonna see if I can get a newsstand issue. I'm sorry if I made it sound like a bad suggestion or something, I just can be pretty blunt. Really, you can't put a price on good reading.

And as for wired, I dunno if the previous issues were simply amazing, but I always find it to be very interesting reading. I've had a subscription for a year, and look forward to it more than EGM even though I'm a hardcore gamer. Its turning me into more of a reader.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png