As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[OM NOM]Dawn of War 2: FUCKING TYRANID GAMEPLAY MOVIE!

TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Games and Technology
Tyranids in the intro trailer!!
LOLOLOLOL

Tyranid Gameplay Trailer
TYRANIDS

So Dawn of War 2. It's time for a more official thread on this wonderful exciting topic.

250px-Dawn_of_war_2_logo.jpg

What do we know so far?

-We have been told there will be four races! Annouced so far: Space Marines, Tyranids, Eldar and Orkz .
-Uses an upgraded version of the Company of Heroes engine so expect all your favourite things like destructible environments, cover all that fun stuff.
-Fully co-operative Campaign: Space Marine only (but supposedly very large)
-No Base building! Your troops carry over in the campaign and weapons and upgrades they find from killing enemies (like taking their weapons) will also carry over.

-Quote for the campaign shamlessly stolen from IGN:
"As far as the single-player campaign is concerned, Relic has decided to take things in a new direction, bringing in even more reward and progression mechanics from role-playing games than we saw in Dark Crusade. No longer is your playing field simply an expanse of territories on a planet (Dark Crusade) or multiple planets (Soulstorm). Instead, your troops, if you're playing as the Space Marines, now pilot a starship that can float between celestial bodies, taking on story-based missions in a nonlinear fashion. It's similar to BioWare's recently released Mass Effect, where your ship travels from system to system searching for distress signals and leaves it up to you to pick when and where to set down and engage the enemy."

-Control points is definitely still a feature, but not disclosed how or in what way.
-More lovely Sync Kills

So how about trailers? So far there is two, a teaser and a gameplay one.

Gameplay Trailer
Holy Shit Balls

Eldar intro Trailer
Eldar Trailer

Screen Shots you say?
25659_DawnofWar2-02_normal.jpg
warhammer-40000-dawn-of-war-ii-20080819095045310_640w.jpg
obmbxcuzll.jpg
945727_20080606_screen005.jpg
945727_20080606_screen009.jpg

So this game is going to be awesome and if you don't think so you're wrong. There I said it.

TheGerbil on

• BugmanBugman Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    goddamn this game is going to be so good

seriously a contender with starcraft 2

too bad my computer will not be able to run it!

Bugman on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Four races?

Thanks Relic, can't wait to pay 39.99 for all the other races every couple of months.

Besides that, this is bought release day.

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • ProfsProfs Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, I'm hella excited for it. This is the game that's making me wait until it comes out to upgrade my computer. After seeing the screenshots, I don't think I could settle for anything less.

Still really interested to see what multiplayer is like though.

Profs on
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, baseless speculation at the other races! My guess is Chaos (just to easy not to put chaos in when you have space marines) and......Tyranids. They said they wouldn't put them in the original engine because it wouldn't do them justice, maybe they can handle it now. Failing that I'd hope to see Imperial Guard.

Neaden on
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Four races?

Thanks Relic, can't wait to pay 39.99 for all the other races every couple of months.

To be fair Winter Assault was only 29.99 :P.

Also, on the other side of the equation, what if they didn't add any more races?

TheGerbil on
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I want the Tau dammit, and I want them done Right this time!

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • KivutarKivutar Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    Four races?

To be fair Winter Assault was only 29.99 :P.

Also, on the other side of the equation, what if they didn't add any more races?
    Well, balance would probably be less absurdly fucked up, and my wallet would remain fatter.
    Those are both positives in my mind.

Kivutar on
  • TeevirusTeevirus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Super excited ! The first DoW and all of the expansion-races made my life. Also the army painter. Absolutely cannot wait, really. <3 !

Teevirus on
  • ProfsProfs Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, as cool and as fresh as the other races were, they really detracted from the Devs giving any significant time towards balancing and smoothing out the existing game(s). I'm hoping 4 will be the final number.

Profs on
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Neaden wrote: »
    So, baseless speculation at the other races! My guess is Chaos (just to easy not to put chaos in when you have space marines) and......Tyranids. They said they wouldn't put them in the original engine because it wouldn't do them justice, maybe they can handle it now. Failing that I'd hope to see Imperial Guard.
    Fuck your IG.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh fuck I want a decent PC now, the first game was so awesome.

360 port plaez?

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Goomba wrote: »
    Fuck your IG.

That was fast.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    an rts on a console?

RIDICULOUS!

Burden of Proof on
    edited June 2008
    360 port plaez?

you wish

Bugman on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Fuck your IG.

Boy I am going to take you out back and shoot you if you don't stop bitching

You are such a girl

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Bugman wrote: »
    360 port plaez?

you wish

Well, uh, yeah duh. :P

I know it won't happen, but fuck me in the arse buying a new gaming PC is not viable right now.

This is one game I'll want bad.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Fuck your IG.

Boy I am going to take you out back and shoot you if you don't stop bitching

You are such a girl
    Oh, I could go on and on and use special correcter-than-Camen math and everything, but I've done that a lot and it's always stupid.

But what I was saying is that there's plenty of better armies than IG. Like Eldar or Necron or any of them.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    360 port plaez?

you wish

Well, uh, yeah duh. :P

I know it won't happen, but fuck me in the arse buying a new gaming PC is not viable right now.

This is one game I'll want bad.

haha, yeah. I'm pretty much in the same boat

and this boat is sinkin' fast

Bugman on
    edited June 2008
    I can't remember where but relic stated that they were dedicated to being a PC developer only or something.

TheGerbil on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited June 2008
    just aside from the massive horrible gameplay rape they'd have to do to get this on 360, they'd also have to do massive horrible graphics rape too

would it be worth it?

bongi on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    bongi wrote: »
    just aside from the massive horrible gameplay rape they'd have to do to get this on 360, they'd also have to do massive horrible graphics rape too

would it be worth it?

Is TF2 worth it?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    god, we have no idea when this is coming do we?

It can't come soon enough!

Arminas on
  • Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Needs more Dark Eldar!

HAHAHAHAHA

But seriously, don't do fucking Eldar. No one likes the Eldar. Just do The Space Marines, Chaos Marines, Orkz and IG. That way you have a balance between elite offencive, elite defencive, cheap offencive and cheap defencive.

Ethan Smith on
    edited June 2008
    Needs more Dark Eldar!

HAHAHAHAHA

But seriously, don't do fucking Eldar. No one likes the Eldar. Just do The Space Marines, Chaos Marines, Orkz and IG. That way you have a balance between elite offencive, elite defencive, cheap offencive and cheap defencive.

Actually wouldn't it be more like Super Defensive, Holy shit that is a lot of Orkz, Demons and Tentacles and Lolz assault marines and dreadnaughts?

TheGerbil on
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I like Eldar...

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ideally, for the other two races I'd like to see 'nids and the Lost and the Damned. Shame that number 2 is a pipe dream.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • ZealotZealot Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If it doesn't include the Eldar I'll be sorely disappointed.

But I'll buy it anyway.

Besides, people will start demanding heads if the nids don't get a spot.

Zealot on
    steam_sig.png
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My guess for the four armies is Space Marines, Hordes of Chaos (not Chaos Marines), Space Orks, and Tyranids. I am kind of expecting them to avoid the "olol moar marines, but bad" thing this time around.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah. A chaos army with a mix of cultists, traitors, marines and daemons would be pretty awesome.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    delroland wrote: »
    My guess for the four armies is Space Marines, Hordes of Chaos (not Chaos Marines), Space Orks, and Tyranids. I am kind of expecting them to avoid the "olol moar marines, but bad" thing this time around.

This is pretty much my dream lineup. I want big, slimy squads of Big Mutants and Traitor Guardsmen so I can relive my old Lost and the Damned army.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NiqleNiqle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This game had me at Dawn of War 2 and CoH Engine.

Niqle on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I would like the other two races to be Tau and Tyranids

But I know I am alone in this

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited June 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I would like the other two races to be Tau and Tyranids

But I know I am alone in this

I'd actually take Tau over Space Marines. But obviously that would never happen, ever.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    I've never played the tabletop game, so I don't know

How would the tyranids play compared to the other races?

Bugman on
    edited June 2008

Think the Zerg from Starcraft, except they are less insectile and more like Space Dinosaurs with chitinous exoskeletons. Also their weapons are bio engineered creatures grafted to them which exist in a state of induced agony.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    thorpe wrote: »

Think the Zerg from Starcraft, except they are less insectile and more like Space Dinosaurs with chitinous exoskeletons. Also their weapons are bio engineered creatures grafted to them which exist in a state of induced agony.

Also they are about 20x swarmier than the Zerg.

They eat PLANETS.

MechMantis on
  • The Lord of HatsThe Lord of Hats Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Tyranids=Massive horde, with some big godzilla-creatures thrown in.

I'm guessing that this is going to use the same setup racewise as DoW. They've got to have a balance between humans and Xenos, and I think Eldar have a higher appeal to people that don't play the game than say, Necrons would. Tau are kind of similar, they need lots of fluff to back them up. Eldar, meanwhile, are pretty straightforward. After all, even though 'Elves in space' is a dumb way to describe them, it's at least halfway accurate. You can't sum Tau or 'Crons up as effectively. Tyranids would be possible, but I've got a feeling that they'd seem too much like a ripoff of the Zerg (even though it's the other way around), especially considering the release date.

Also, I think my favorite thing about the screenshots is the Assault marine jetpacks. That's exactly how jetpacks should look.

The Lord of Hats on
    edited June 2008

Oh that's pleasant.

I liked the original games mix of races. Seemed fairly balanced. I wouldn't mind seeing a few changes in the lineup though.

Bugman on
    edited June 2008
    MechMantis wrote: »

Also they are about 20x swarmier than the Zerg.

They eat PLANETS.

Oh yeah, thats important to note. They eat everything. Everything. Planets left behind after their ravages don't even have an atmosphere, much less anything other than dead rock.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    For reals, this game could totally contend with Starcraft 2

Bugman on