As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Questions? Answers!- The General Questions Thread

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah there was an incident at a Con a few years ago where Bendis said he would love to do a Daredevil/Batman crossover and had a great story for it in his head and some DC bigwig crashed the panel and started yelling at Bendis about how it would never happen while Quesada was still there

it was a big scene

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    am i being shunned or

DouglasDanger on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Douglas, I do not have an answer for your question. Automatic Kafka had art by Ashley Wood though, so if it looks like his past comic work, it probably looks like a pile of shit that got fucked by a hobo.

Never read his Deathlok. I generally enjoy Casey though. You might try picking up his book Nixon's Pals, about a parole officer for superhuman criminals. I think you'd enjoy it.

Munch on
    edited June 2008
    thanks munch

i find joe casey to be very uneven, so i am trying to find some opinions. His deathlok certainly has some neat covers, but I can't find any preview of interior art or anything.

DouglasDanger on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Is there a temporary moratorium on DC/Marvel crossovers?

DiDio has said he won't do any while Quesada is still EiC at Marvel

I think that was Jenkins actually.

Bloods End on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    When did they first start resurrecting comic book characters?

Robos A Go Go on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2008
    probably within months of when they first started dying

DJ Eebs on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    When did they first start resurrecting comic book characters?

I want to say Wonder Man was the first really big one. He was introduced to die, ended up being more popular than anyone thought he'd be, and so he was brought back.

But I'm sure it had happened before that. Crazy resurrections are just a part of the superhero mythos.

Munch on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There was a twelve year gap between Wonder Man's death (Avengers #9, published in 1964) and his resurrection (Avengers Annual #6, 1976) - so I'd probably disagree with the "ended up being more popular than anyone tought he'd be" part of that sentence. If I had to guess, Shooter was just looking for new storylines for the book - there's a lot of kooky stuff happening in that era of the Avengers.

Anyhow, resurrecting villains has always been a staple of comics - the Joker died at the end of most of his 1940s appearances, for example. The same thing would happen with Marvel characters - Dr. Doom would appear to be dead at the end of a given issue, and then he'd just show up again.

I'd probably say that Jean Grey was the first major superhero resurrection - killed in UNCANNY #136 (1980), brought back in FF #286 (1985). You could probably make the case for Elektra as well - Miller killed her off in the middle of his DD run, and then he had a few issues where the Hand would bring her back and kill her off again (and one of the Marvel Graphic Novels was about this, as well).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, I finally finished Y: The Last Man.

jesus christ that was fantastic

Where might I find something, anything, similar?

Hylianbunny on
    edited June 2008
    you might try some of BKV's other work

Ex Machina for example

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I can't find Y vol. 10. The stores around me are all sold out. :( Should I try to find hunting it down or just order it online?

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
    edited June 2008
    Amazon + next day shipping > driving all about town, acting a fool

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Amazon + next day shipping > driving all about town, acting a fool

Yeah, the few dollars in mark-up that a comic shop may make from this one sale isn't worth that much effort.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Damn, Amazon is saying in stock July 15th.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
    edited June 2008
    I just ordered the Spider-Man 2 game for the PS2 for like $8. Am I in for lots of fun?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The game itself is okay.

The real fun is when you finish the game and get to web around New York, fighting crime and just chilling out on the top of tall buildings.

Desktop Hippie on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Okay, so, I know everyone has pretty much given up on making sense of Countdown, but did they ever explain when exactly Kyle's shenannigans in it happen in relation to his appearences in GL/GLC?

When he showed up in Countdown while he was still all Parallax'd up in GL I was expecting the end of SCW to involve him running off to find Donna or something, but nope. And there doesn't really seem to be any sensible breakpoint in GLC for him to go hop around universes for a few months.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
    edited June 2008
    They never tried to explain it, just like they haven't followed up on his status as a multi-dimensional custodian guy with Donna Troy and Forager.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited June 2008
    They're never going to reference that book again, which is fine if it gives us Joker's Daughter and Jokester back.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2008
    That'll be Editor-In-Chief Jimmy Palmiotti's first initiative - bringing back Jokester.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited June 2008
    man dc deserves to lose a lot of readers for the countdown mess
    i hate to say it, but it is true

on the other hand, some of the fans who buy a book even though they admit it is terrible, but are buying it for the characters or whatever or because of having a complete run kind of deserve something like countdown
    those kind of folks who buy marvel books or nightwing books or whatever have had theirs many times over

DouglasDanger on
  • ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I may buy everything that has Nightwing in it but to be honest I only regret buying about 8 issues in all and that was the Bruce Jones One Year Later stuff. I didn't even hate the Devin Grayson run as much as others. I was actually even liking the arc that led to Blockbuster's death right up until the rooftop scene but even then Tarantula got her comeuppance in #100 and then died in Infinite Crisis I'm assuming.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Does anybody know of any good sites to order supplies from?
    I need something besides another box to store those issues of Moon Knight in when I get them, and I'm out of ideas

Me Too! on
    edited June 2008
    what do you mean supplies? you store single issues of comics in plastic sleeves with cardboard in them, and the whole little package inside a longbox.

DouglasDanger on
    edited June 2008
    he means he wants to order bags and boards and boxes online

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I saw this mentioned in the Weekly Comics thread but figured I'd ask my question here.

What is Ultimatum? The Ultimates all say "March on Ultimatum" but what is it? Is it some late summer event?

Lucascraft on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    September 08 six-issue arc. Wiki has a bit more, but not much.

Wildcat on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I saw this mentioned in the Weekly Comics thread but figured I'd ask my question here.

What is Ultimatum? The Ultimates all say "March on Ultimatum" but what is it? Is it some late summer event?

Lying in the Gutters has some news from an interview with David Finch:
    "David Finch has confirmed that Jeph Loeb's “Ultimatum" series will see the cancellation of all the Ultimate titles."

Here's the interview. Just skip to 5:00, really. The "hosts" are kind of annoying.

Skip to the 5 minute mark

JoeUser on
    edited June 2008
    Man, it's the end of the Ultimate Universe. You don't need a hack writer who happens to sell lots of books to make bank on those issues.

Robos A Go Go on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I love how the "hosts" are constantly talking over, interrupting and ignoring their guest.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
    edited June 2008
    I love how the "hosts" are constantly talking over, interrupting and ignoring their guest.

Yes, they are terrible. I wanted to do everyone the favor of watching it and finding the only important part.
    That one guy really needs to shave that mustache.

JoeUser on
    edited June 2008
    Ok here's a followup question:

Why is Marvel ending the entire Ultimates line of comics? I thought that, in general, the Ultimate brand was a fairly popular line?

Lucascraft on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's been dropping off in popularity quite a bit recently, though.

Wildcat on
    edited June 2008
    And it's not really "Marvel without the continuity" anymore, since it's been around long enough to develop its own extensive history.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2008
    I've always seen the Ultimate brand as a separate continuity of its own. And I think that, generally speaking, the characters that have had the best Ultimate runs are interesting enough that they can support 2 completely independent continuities.

Lucascraft on
    edited June 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I've always seen the Ultimate brand as a separate continuity of its own. And I think that, generally speaking, the characters that have had the best Ultimate runs are interesting enough that they can support 2 completely independent continuities.

It is its own continuity, but what was cool about it in the beginning was that you could pretty much follow all the stories from the beginning. At this point, it's been going on so long that it's developed its own continuity complexities.

Hopefully Marvel has a plan for something neat to replace the Ultimate U.

JoeUser on
    edited June 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    he means he wants to order bags and boards and boxes online

I'm actually looking for options besides more boxes
    I really don't want to get another shortbox just for 38 comics

Me Too! on
    edited June 2008
    And the last time I checked, Ultimate was still going with no plans to end it
    Origins and Ultimatum are setting a new status quo, yes, but it's going to keep going

Me Too! on
    edited June 2008
    Yes, but the point of the Ultimate line is accessibility. When you have a book that has been around for more than 100 issues, some would say it is no longer accessible.

DouglasDanger on
This discussion has been closed.