As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Metal Gear Raiden? See Page 85 (Previously the MGS4 Thread)

IgortIgort Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Games and Technology
WARNING! METAL GEAR SOLID 4 SPOILERS AHEAD!

We have SPOILER TAGS. Use them.
MGS4_European_Cover.jpg

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The Patriots is the final installment in the 21 year long series by Hideo Kojima and his team at Kojima Productions. The series is known for it's self dubbed "tactical espionage action" style of gameplay.
oldsnakevq0.png

This... is my final mission...

FAQ

What is Metal Gear?

Without sounding too much like a "fanboy", Metal Gear is at the forefront of cinematic gaming, and is the pioneer of the "stealth" genre. Featuring often "over-the-top" plots and characters, and incredibly dramatic cut-scenes, combined with tense "hide-and-seek" gameplay sections and innovative boss battles.

Well, what's the basic plot for MGS4 then?

Set in 2014, five years after Metal Gear Solid 2, MGS4 portrays a world where the restriction of military intervention on foreign soil has been eased, fueling the need for private military companies (PMCs) to fight proxy wars for business purposes. Nanotechnology has become prominent, both to enhance the capabilities and enforce the loyalty of mercenaries. The five largest of these PMCs are owned by a single mother company named Outer Heaven, which is operated by Liquid Ocelot. Amassing an army whose manpower rivals that of the United States, Liquid prepares to launch an armed insurrection. With the world once again in crisis, a rapidly aging and disillusioned Solid Snake is deployed into the Middle East by Roy Campbell to terminate Liquid. MGS4 will take place in five locations throughout the world, including the Middle East, South America and Eastern Europe.

Tell me more about the game play?

As I said, gameplay is mainly focused on Stealth, with a small hint of action, hence "Tactical Espionage Action". Basically, Metal Gear was created from the philosophy of "advance, without being seen by the enemy". If you're spotted, you'll more than likely find yourself completely surrounded, and will have to hide until things blow over. There are also many bosses scattered through-out each game.

Metal Gear Solid 4 pretty much retains the stealth element, but instead of infiltrating an enemy complex or jungle, you'll be infiltrating a battlefield, with a war raging around you. Taking the camo system from MGS3 a step further, Snake is equipped with OctoCamo which allows him to copy patterns and textures from any surface he comes into contact with. The game also features revised controls to compensate for the fact that this is set in a battlefield, making action sequences much easier. Stealth is now more of an option, rather than a necessity.

CQC, which was introduced in MGS3, is also expanded, featuring a much easier method of execution. Featuring "Gears Of War" style on screen button prompts, you can now disarm your opponent, do a full body check for extra items, and choke them unconscious. You can also perform the infamous "crotch grab".

What else is new?

The "Drebin Points" system, which is similar to that creepy merchant guy from Resident Evil 4. Basically, during gameplay, you can disarm enemies and take their weapon. You won't be able to use it though, thanks to a little something known as "ID Locks" which will lock down guns if it is being used by someone who is not authorized to use it. However thanks to our good friend Drebin, he can unlock these guns for you. Also, if you already own that weapon, it will be automatically sold to Drebin (with you keeping the ammo), and he will give you points for it. These points can then be used to unlock guns (as I just mentioned) and you can also buy new weapons and additional ammo, as well being able to purchase parts for guns you already have. For example, you can shove a grenade launcher onto the front of your rifle!

How many games are there in the series?

As far as "canon" is concerned, there are seven games in the series. However games like Metal Gear Ac!d, and Metal Gear: Ghost Babel are non-canon.

The games in the series, in chronological order, are:

1964: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
1970: Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
1995: Metal Gear
1999: Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
2005: Metal Gear Solid
2007/09: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty
2014: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The Patriots

However, the original Metal Gear games have pretty much been ret-conned to oblivion. You can get away with just playing MGS1, 2 & 3, but a lot of people would also recommend Portable Ops, as it does reveal some small details, which are important.

Will this game be easy on the "newbies"?

PSM3 magazine said that "roughly 70%" will fly right over the heads of newcomers. However, I have read reports of people playing this game without playing any of the other and enjoying the story very much. And since the gameplay has been pretty much revamped, there should be no worries there.

Well is there an easy way to catch up?

Yes. In America, you can purchase the "Metal Gear Solid: Essential Collection". I'm not American, so I'm not sure on prices, but I hear it's damn good value for money. It comes with Metal Gear Solid on 2 PS1 discs (meaning you'll have to pick up a PS1 Memory Card from somewhere, unless you have a PS3) and Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3 on two separate PS2 discs. Metal Gear Solid is also available on the Japanese Playstation Store and should hopefully be making it's way to the American one soon.

If you don't want to wait to play MGS4 you can always check out Gametrailer's Metal Gear Retrospective.

But, I don't have a PS3... Lucky it's coming to the X-Box 360, huh?

Haha. Don't get your hopes up. Aside from the fact that Snake uses a SIXAXIS/Dualshock 3 controller in game to control Metal Gear Mk. II (his little robo-buddy), but another character is seen using a PSP and PS3 at some points. Also, Hideo Kojima himself has said that he's "fed up of being asked" about a 360 port. No PS3, No MGS4.

That's a shame... Guess I'll have to get a PS3 then...

If you really want MGS4, yes. Luckily, a bundle has been released!

What's this I hear about in-game advertising?

metal-gear-solid-4-advertisingtitleimage.jpg

Yes, Metal Gear Solid 4 features a wealth of in-game advertising, including the Japanese energy drink Regain (seen above), Apple's popular iPod and Sony's own brand of Ericsson cell phones. Apple computers also appear throughout the game.

Also, in slightly related news, "Uniqlo" are creating a series of Metal Gear themed T-Shirts which are on sale now, I believe. They can be seen here. My personal favourite is the "Kept you waiting, huh?" one.

Can I see some screenshots?

You can see some here. Be wary of spoilers though, there's a pretty big one in there. If you've seen all the trailers though, than there's nothing to worry about.

I'm interested in Metal Gear Online. Can I talk about that in this thread?

This thread is more for Metal Gear Solid 4 as well as general Metal Gear Story discussion. However, head on over here for the Metal Gear Online thread.
solidandliquidya5.png

Snake... Your son will bring the world to ruin...

Your son... will save... the world.

Igort on

• IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hmm, the OP looks a little out-of-date now. Anyone think there's anything I should add/remove?

Igort on
  • GlassjawGlassjaw Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    some of the 'see it here' links are gone, though i think they were in the previous thread. apart from that, maybe a screenshot for each of the features in the game? One of some CQC, one of the octocamo in action? Something to show off the meat of the game to newcomers and make getting into the game a little less daunting.. i duno, im hardly qualified to make suggestions on such mammoth OPs.
    Also, where is the last quote from, the 'Snake... Your son will bring the world to ruin... '

Glassjaw on
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Glassjaw wrote: »
    some of the 'see it here' links are gone, though i think they were in the previous thread. apart from that, maybe a screenshot for each of the features in the game? One of some CQC, one of the octocamo in action? Something to show off the meat of the game to newcomers and make getting into the game a little less daunting.. i duno, im hardly qualified to make suggestions on such mammoth OPs.
    Also, where is the last quote from, the 'Snake... Your son will bring the world to ruin... '

Cheers for the input.

And the last little bit is from Portable Ops, and is one of my favourite scenes in the whole saga.

Igort on
    edited June 2008
    nice. One thing i didnt pick up on while playing MGS1 recently, did Big Boss voluntarily give up his DNA for les enfant terribles? My MGS timeline is a bit skewered, i heard he left vietnam in a coma and thats when they took his DNA or something

Glassjaw on
  • PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Concerning Glassjaw's question:
    He blew up over it and that was the last straw that caused him to sever all ties with the Patriots

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Okay so according to gamefaqs:

Inheritence

You carry over your Drebin points, weapons, ammunition, items, and special items from a previous game upon game clear. However, Snake will need to encounter Metal Gear II in the first stage to get his stuff back.

Erm, no.. it hasn't, does it require you play at a certain difficulty level because none of that has carried over from my previous game.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    GrimReaper wrote:
    Oh, goddamn installs.

I've got a bone to pick, after completing MGS 4 I thought: Great! Now I don't have to sit and wait whilst it installs anymore!

But... it still installs after every chapter, it's uninstalling the previous chapter and installing the chapter you're on...

That is extremely frustrating, there's a bit in the game where Otacon does a joke about switching discs. You know what? Screw you Otacon, i'd rather switch a disc which takes a few seconds than waiting 5 goddamn minutes every time I want to play a chapter.

There needs to be an option for full install seriously, have an option or something for it.
    We've gone over this a thousand times, but install does not equal disc swap. What an install does is basically pre-load all the assets and things that chapter will be using. Things such as the huge textures and amount of shit that goes on. The reason the game would need disc swaps (in my eyes) is the very reason it needs an install, being the huge textures and uncompressed audio.

Therefore, instead of either INSANELY long load times, or texture pop-in (remember Halo 2?), you get short fucking installs. Yeah, it's not perfect, but quit your belly-aching and go to the bathroom or make a sandwich or something. Heck, if you're on a marathon gaming session and the install is that big of an inconvenience because it is the third one you've seen in as many hours, maybe it's time to take a break.

<
    MGS fanboy/apologist

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    GrimReaper wrote: »

Inheritence

You carry over your Drebin points, weapons, ammunition, items, and special items from a previous game upon game clear. However, Snake will need to encounter Metal Gear II in the first stage to get his stuff back.

Erm, no.. it hasn't, does it require you play at a certain difficulty level because none of that has carried over from my previous game.

Are you loading the completed save? Because that's what you have to do.

Also there should be some info about the Database in the OP.

Speed Racer on
  • xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Inheritence

Are you loading the completed save? Because that's what you have to do.

Also there should be some info about the Database in the OP.

Has no one ever played a MGS game before? Jesus.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Inheritence

Yeah, Mushroom Pie's right. After the credits roll, and the intermission, and then allllllllllll the credits rolling (about 17 minutes) you get a screen giving you your rank for that run and revealing the emblems you've unlocked (Fox, Big Boss, Crocodile, Pidgeon, Octopus etc). After the emblem/ranking screen you get the option to save your completion data. In your load screen, the icon for a completed save is the graveyard with the white Boss flowers. Load that save, you can then choose a new difficulty if you like, but regardless of that choice all your ammo, drebin points, weapons, camos, weapons, customizable gun parts and iPod music (which you don't have to access the Mark II for) are carried over into the new game.

But starting a 'new game' without loading that file is just that - a new game without any of your hard-earned toys.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    general spoiler which isn't really spoiler worthy:
    So the "System" is called SOP, Sons of the Patriots. But many can't say "Patriots",instead they say "La Li Lu Le Lo". So does that mean that to most people SOP is called "Sons of the La Li Lu Le Lo"?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Klyka wrote: »
    So the "System" is called SOP, Sons of the Patriots. But many can't say "Patriots",instead they say "La Li Lu Le Lo". So does that mean that to most people SOP is called "Sons of the La Li Lu Le Lo"?
    I think just no one knows what SOP stands for unless they know about the Patriots.

Speed Racer on
  • LupintheThirdLupintheThird Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think just no one knows what SOP stands for unless they know about the Patriots.
    I think Drebin made a comment late in Act 2 about how the various characters are restricted in speech by their nanomachines - they physically can't call them Patriots, just La Li Lu Le Lo.

Anyway, I'm having trouble with the
    Crying Wolf boss fight
    but I'd really like to just skip ahead of her and move on with the game (everyone keeps wanting to talk to me about the end of Act 4 and the ending, but I can't). Does anyone happen to have a save file for right after that fight but before any additional progress has been made? Thanks much if anyone can help and doesn't think of me as a cheating douche.

EDIT: Preferrably on Naked Normal mode.

LupintheThird on
  • AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Wait, technically doesn't Liquid Snake not bring the world to ruin and Solid Snake not save the world, and instead Ocelot does both of those things simultaneously?

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Wait, technically doesn't Liquid Snake not bring the world to ruin and Solid Snake not save the world, and instead Ocelot does both of those things simultaneously?
    Snake saves the world, even if Ocelot's secretly prompting him to do it.

And since Ocelot supressed his own persona and created a Liquid one to take himself over, I'd count that as Liquid.

I don't think that Ocelot has all that much control over himself during 4, he just knew that if he set up the right scenario Liquid Snake would accidentally fulfill Ocelot's goals while trying to fulfill his own.

Speed Racer on
    edited June 2008
    I think Drebin made a comment late in Act 2 about how the various characters are restricted in speech by their nanomachines - they physically can't call them Patriots, just La Li Lu Le Lo.

Crying Wolf boss fight
    but I'd really like to just skip ahead of her and move on with the game (everyone keeps wanting to talk to me about the end of Act 4 and the ending, but I can't). Does anyone happen to have a save file for right after that fight but before any additional progress has been made? Thanks much if anyone can help and doesn't think of me as a cheating douche.

I don't have a save, but that fight's really easy to cheese.
    Crawl under the tank at the beginning, so the frogs can't see you and CW can't tackle you. Then just activate your night vision and whip out your sniper rifled and wait until you see Crying Wolf come by and stick her head out of the suit.

Speed Racer on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    GrimReaper wrote:
    Oh, goddamn installs.

I've got a bone to pick, after completing MGS 4 I thought: Great! Now I don't have to sit and wait whilst it installs anymore!

But... it still installs after every chapter, it's uninstalling the previous chapter and installing the chapter you're on...

That is extremely frustrating, there's a bit in the game where Otacon does a joke about switching discs. You know what? Screw you Otacon, i'd rather switch a disc which takes a few seconds than waiting 5 goddamn minutes every time I want to play a chapter.

There needs to be an option for full install seriously, have an option or something for it.
    We've gone over this a thousand times, but install does not equal disc swap. What an install does is basically pre-load all the assets and things that chapter will be using. Things such as the huge textures and amount of shit that goes on. The reason the game would need disc swaps (in my eyes) is the very reason it needs an install, being the huge textures and uncompressed audio.

Therefore, instead of either INSANELY long load times, or texture pop-in (remember Halo 2?), you get short fucking installs. Yeah, it's not perfect, but quit your belly-aching and go to the bathroom or make a sandwich or something. Heck, if you're on a marathon gaming session and the install is that big of an inconvenience because it is the third one you've seen in as many hours, maybe it's time to take a break.

<
    MGS fanboy/apologist

Mostly true, but to be fair, touting not needing to waste time switching discs is assinine when you are doing 10 minutes worth of installs.

I think the bigger issue, to me, is that it uninstalls previous installations. Why? To make you do the installations again later? Dumb.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited June 2008
    It's been suggested that Sony has a max install size - perhaps if MGS4 put everything it needed on the hard drive it would exceed 20gigs, which would make it impossible to play on one of the laucnh SKUs. But really, I agree - it would be nice to have the option to put the everything on the HDD.

On the other hand, if this is the way it has to be I don't mind at all. Two minutes between forty-minute acts isn't a huge loss, and if that gives us these top of the line graphics and a framerate that never causes problems, I'm all for it. I love this game.

Chance on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    GrimReaper wrote:
    Oh, goddamn installs.

<
    MGS fanboy/apologist

Mostly true, but to be fair, touting not needing to waste time switching discs is assinine when you are doing 10 minutes worth of installs.

I think the bigger issue, to me, is that it uninstalls previous installations. Why? To make you do the installations again later? Dumb.

Because its apparently a 50GB load of data and a majority of PS3s couldn't install it? Get over it, its really not that bad. If anything it forces you to step away for a few minutes.

DarkWarrior on
  • LupintheThirdLupintheThird Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Crying Wolf boss fight

Crawl under the tank at the beginning, so the frogs can't see you and CW can't tackle you. Then just activate your night vision and whip out your sniper rifled and wait until you see Crying Wolf come by and stick her head out of the suit.

Thanks, after asking like 3 people how to beat her most effectively, NO ONE mentioned that method. Of course, it wouldn't work well if you were shooting for a low completion time, but screw it. I just wanna see the storyline! Thanks again!

LupintheThird on
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Went into my local GameStop the other day, picked up MGS2&3 (for PS2) for a grand total of $15. Soon as I'm done with MGS4, I'm gonna check em out.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    Crying Wolf boss fight

Thanks, after asking like 3 people how to beat her most effectively, NO ONE mentioned that method. Of course, it wouldn't work well if you were shooting for a low completion time, but screw it. I just wanna see the storyline! Thanks again!
    She can tackle you, just won't knock you out from under it.

DarkWarrior on
  • ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Went into my local GameStop the other day, picked up MGS2&3 (for PS2) for a grand total of $15. Soon as I'm done with MGS4, I'm gonna check em out.
    Why not play MGS2 and 3 before you finish 4?

So MSG4 is more satisfying and whatnot?

Also, did you buy MGS3 Subsistence? Because if you just bought the regular edition of it, I'd actually suggest going back and returning it and getting Subsistence.
    1. Subsistence has a ton of extra content outside of the game.
    2. If you're really liking the camera in MGS4, then MGS3 (regular) might be frustrating. The behind-the-back camera was added in MGS3 Subsistence.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    ShimSham wrote: »
    Why not play MGS2 and 3 before you finish 4?

So MSG4 is more satisfying and whatnot?

Also, did you buy MGS3 Subsistence? Because if you just bought the regular edition of it, I'd actually suggest going back and returning it and getting Subsistence.
    1. Subsistence has a ton of extra content outside of the game.
    2. If you're really liking the camera in MGS4, then MGS3 (regular) might be frustrating. The behind-the-back camera was added in MGS3 Subsistence.

Yes MGS3 is probably the best MG game in the series. Absolutely play it before 4.

Especially because it's a lot harder to shoot in 3 with out the over the shoulder shooting like in 4. You really need to rely on not getting spotted.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited June 2008
    Im playing through MGS3 at the moment, at the beginning i was getting my ass handed to me, but with perseverance and CQC i actually now feel like im playing as the greatest soldier of the 20th century, theres satisfaction which wasnt present with the poorer ai's in mgs 1 and 2. Also, young Ocelot is awesome aswell.

havnt played mgs4 yet but im thinking of pre-ordering this (spoilored for size)
    MD_METALGEAR4_RAIDEN.jpg
    It looks awesome as it is, but once i complete mgs4 and see what they do with raiden, will this be knocked up to an essential purchase?

Glassjaw on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Im playing through MGS3 at the moment, at the beginning i was getting my ass handed to me, but with perseverance and CQC i actually now feel like im playing as the greatest soldier of the 20th century, theres satisfaction which wasnt present with the poorer ai's in mgs 1 and 2. Also, young Ocelot is awesome aswell.

havnt played mgs4 yet but im thinking of pre-ordering this (spoilored for size)
    MD_METALGEAR4_RAIDEN.jpg
    It looks awesome as it is, but once i complete mgs4 and see what they do with raiden, will this be knocked up to an essential purchase?

probably

Renzo on
    edited June 2008
    Also, young Ocelot is awesome aswell.

Wait what

Speed Racer on
    edited June 2008
    My experience with online gaming is (relatively) limited. I could be amazing with a sniper rifle when I was hosting Halo PC games (but who couldn't?), I had a pretty good reputation as a PvPer on WoW when I played, and I almost always got my ass handed to me when I dipped into CoD4. But this Metal Gear Online... I'm likin' it. And aside from WoW I've never been a fan of online gaming.

I like the teamwork aspect, I like the weapon balance, I like the maps, I like the skill level involved (headshots or you're fucked). I probably also like that I'm not sucking at it, but damn - this is a seriously welcome addition to my MGS4 purchase, which would've been more than satisfactory had it come without the online component.

Pre-edit: I know, I know, if I want exquisitely balanced team-based online I should go for TF2. But my PC's a peice of crap and all I got is the PS3 Orange Box, which (although easily worth $60, thanks to HL2, EP1 and EP2 + Portal) renders TF2 all-but-unplayable. MGO is... a lotta fun.

Chance on
  • LingxorLingxor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Having just beat the game...
    My major issue with the story is the fact that Snake and Otacon BARELY seem to acknowledge the fact that Naomi screws them over. (before later revelations of course.)

And I dont really get why she was feeling up vamp either.

Lingxor on
  • HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    GrimReaper wrote:
    Oh, goddamn installs.

<
    MGS fanboy/apologist

I guess the thing is that the installation would need to be done regardless of whether or not you need to switch disks. I believe that there is 50GB of data on a dual layer BR disk, and about 9GB on a standard dual layer DVD (something like 7.5GB of usable space on an XBOX 360 DVD).

We can assume that there are several GB worth of data that are transferred to the hard drive for each install, and that there is probably even more data that is streamed off the disk while playing. The amount of installed data, and streamed data likely exceeds the size of a dual layer DVD. That alone is not a problem, because you can just install more stuff to the hard drive. However, if using DVDs, this means you would probably have to:

1) Put Act 1's install disk in.
    2) Wait for it to install.
    3) Put Act 1's streaming disk in and start playing.
    4) Put Act 2's install disk in.
    ...etc...

Granted, you could probably squeeze the installation data down to just a few disks, and you could just install it all at once provided it is less than the available hard drive space. Which would be something like this:

1) Put in installation disk 1.
    2) Wait for it to install.
    3) Put in installation disk 2.
    4) Wait for it to install.
    ...etc...
    5) Put Act 1's streaming disk in and start playing.
    6) Put Act 2's streaming disk in and start playing.
    ...etc...

And that would only work if you had enough hard disk space to do the entire installation up front. Of course, if my assumption is wrong about the amount of data per act (installation + streaming) being more than a DVD, then there is room to complain I suppose. If my assumption is correct though, it means that the only way to reduce the crazy installation/ disk swapping is to reduce the quality of the visuals in general (texture pop in, lower quality art assets, etc...).

tl;dr The installations would be a lot worse with DVDs.

Halibut on
    edited June 2008
    People read way too much into that disc-swapping joke, I swear.

When you hold a guard up and make them lay down, aren't they supposed to stay there unless another guard finds them and tells them to get up? I just did it to a guy and he got up as soon as I left him and threw caution on. I guess someone might have prompted him to get up but I don't think anyone else was around.

Speed Racer on
    edited June 2008

When you hold a guard up and make them lay down, aren't they supposed to stay there unless another guard finds them and tells them to get up? I just did it to a guy and he got up as soon as I left him and threw caution on. I guess someone might have prompted him to get up but I don't think anyone else was around.

They probably stop once you leave since they realize theres no longer someone point a gun at them.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
    edited June 2008

Wait what

yeah thats right 8-) Hes got this amazing talent with guns but he's still young enough to want to prove himself. And every time Snake escapes his clutches, a respect grows each time. That and he meows.

Ive no idea how much of Ocelot in mgs4 is himself and not liquid in control, but i hope theres some nod to his younger self, maybe not so much with the meowing but with his mannerisms and hand pointing. Hmm, im talking about this game and my expectations for it as if there were still months to go before its release. But I've almost worked my way up to it and im getting a liiil excited

Glassjaw on
    edited June 2008

Wait what

yeah thats right 8-) Hes got this amazing talent with guns but he's still young enough to want to prove himself. And every time Snake escapes his clutches, a respect grows each time. That and he meows.

Ive no idea how much of Ocelot in mgs4 is himself and not liquid in control, but i hope theres some nod to his younger self, maybe not so much with the meowing but with his mannerisms and hand pointing. Hmm, im talking about this game and my expectations for it as if there were still months to go before its release. But I've almost worked my way up to it and im getting a liiil excited

Without spoiling anything lemme just say that you will not be disappointed.

Speed Racer on
    edited June 2008

Wait what

It's kind of amazing how much all these characters have changed since MGS1. I've got hard time hating any of the villains now since really they are all just victims of circumstance.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
    edited June 2008

Wait what

It's kind of amazing how much all these characters have changed since MGS1. I've got hard time hating any of the villains now since really they are all just victims of circumstance.
    I'd argue that Liquid Snake is still a pretty big douche.

Speed Racer on
    edited June 2008
    He's adorable though.
    After all the killing on the lake, his eyes dart to the left to check Snake is watching and when hes running towards Haven after escaping his Ray and the whole Fox...DIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEE thing. He's nothing if not likable as a villain. Hes just happy to live up Big Brothers ideals, not knowing the reasoning behind those ideals.

DarkWarrior on
    edited June 2008
    He's adorable though.
    After all the killing on the lake, his eyes dart to the left to check Snake is watching and when hes running towards Haven after escaping his Ray and the whole Fox...DIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEE thing. He's nothing if not likable as a villain. Hes just happy to live up Big Brothers ideals, not knowing the reasoning behind those ideals.

I'm just saying,
    unlike Big Boss, Ocelot, or Solidus, Liquid's not actually a good guy. He wants to destroy the Patriots, but only so that he can take his place.

Speed Racer on
    edited June 2008
    He's adorable though.

I'm just saying,
    unlike Big Boss, Ocelot, or Solidus, Liquid's not actually a good guy. He wants to destroy the Patriots, but only so that he can take his place.

But thats because they shat all over him. I mean wouldn't you be pissed if everyone was like "Haha you are just a bunch of left over genes we scrapped out of the bottom of the barrel."

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

They probably stop once you leave since they realize theres no longer someone point a gun at them.

Haha, that makes sense. It always did seem a little silly in MGS3 that they would just stay there forever, shivering in fear, even though you were several hundred yards away. I always thought it would make sense if Snake had quickly hog-tied them or something (and it would be hilarious).

It became my favourite method of non-lethally disposing of guards, but always felt ultra-cheesy.

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...