As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Metal Gear Raiden? See Page 85 (Previously the MGS4 Thread)

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    major_tom wrote: »
    People read way too much into that disc-swapping joke, I swear.

When you hold a guard up and make them lay down, aren't they supposed to stay there unless another guard finds them and tells them to get up? I just did it to a guy and he got up as soon as I left him and threw caution on. I guess someone might have prompted him to get up but I don't think anyone else was around.

They probably stop once you leave since they realize theres no longer someone point a gun at them.

Haha, that makes sense. It always did seem a little silly in MGS3 that they would just stay there forever, shivering in fear, even though you were several hundred yards away. I always thought it would make sense if Snake had quickly hog-tied them or something (and it would be hilarious).

It became my favourite method of non-lethally disposing of guards, but always felt ultra-cheesy.

I disagree, just because you have to be pretty good to sneak up on a guard like that, and even better to keep another one from spotting him.

And on my second try it didn't happen so i think it was just a fluke.

Speed Racer on
  • PieManPieMan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Just a minor suggestion to the OP regarding the screenshot gallery, I would put a stronger spoiler tag warning than "nothing we haven't heard about before the game was released". I had no idea about the
    fuckawesome Ray vs Rex mecha battle
    and it would suck if others have that surprise ruined.

On a different note, is portable ops worth going through? I picked it up and despite being wowed by the controls the gameplay seemed... bland.. The first 20 minutes did not grip me the way an OTT metal gear plot should, although admittedly all there was to the plot so far was tutorials. Is it worth picking it up again?

PieMan on
  • WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It might be a matter of whether or not he could tell you went away. Did you sneak off behind him or did you just go bounding off in his line of sight?

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    He's adorable though.
    After all the killing on the lake, his eyes dart to the left to check Snake is watching and when hes running towards Haven after escaping his Ray and the whole Fox...DIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEE thing. He's nothing if not likable as a villain. Hes just happy to live up Big Brothers ideals, not knowing the reasoning behind those ideals.

I'm just saying,
    unlike Big Boss, Ocelot, or Solidus, Liquid's not actually a good guy. He wants to destroy the Patriots, but only so that he can take his place.
    Tell me you didn't like him running away, turning and laughing like its a big game after escaping from Ray after their battle. That redeems him for anything you may consider villainous.

DarkWarrior on
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    PieMan wrote: »
    Just a minor suggestion to the OP regarding the screenshot gallery, I would put a stronger spoiler tag warning than "nothing we haven't heard about before the game was released". I had no idea about the

On a different note, is portable ops worth going through? I picked it up and despite being wowed by the controls the gameplay seemed... bland.. The first 20 minutes did not grip me the way an OTT metal gear plot should, although admittedly all there was to the plot so far was tutorials. Is it worth picking it up again?

I'd say yes. I loved Portable Ops. It's Metal Gear, but with quite a bit of difference that makes it really interesting. I loved the recruitment system. The plot is pretty good, and the story segments are told AWESOMELY (I love the hand-drawn stuff)

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How do you use the MK. II during briefings? I know you get some masks and iPod songs by tooling around with it but I don't know how.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I'd say yes. I loved Portable Ops. It's Metal Gear, but with quite a bit of difference that makes it really interesting. I loved the recruitment system. The plot is pretty good, and the story segments are told AWESOMELY (I love the hand-drawn stuff)

And it really helps tell the story of why Big Boss wanted a nation for soldiers.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm angry at Konami. I'm angry at them for being bitchy about videos on Youtube. I want to see the story play out, but I don't have $500 to experience it myself. And I don't want to read it because seeing / hearing is much better. Fucking argh.

Henroid on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    I think I'm gonna pick up the $90 PSP from the local pawn shop and buy the ACID games and Portable Ops.

My Metal Gear collection is lacking.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Portable Ops feels very hard to control for a little while.

Once you get used to it, it's great. I love the game. It's the reason I bought a PSP and I haven't regretted it. (granted I have found other uses for the thing)

The comic book cutscenes are great too.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Igort, please add this to the OP:

"The disk change joke was a nod to a similar event in MGS1, as well as pointing out Snake's age and inferiority to the advancing technology. It is not an insult aimed at 360 owners."

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Henroid wrote: »
    I'm angry at Konami. I'm angry at them for being bitchy about videos on Youtube. I want to see the story play out, but I don't have $500 to experience it myself. And I don't want to read it because seeing / hearing is much better. Fucking argh.

What? You don't want to see the E3 trailer remixed with godsmack in 50 different ways?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    agoaj wrote: »

What? You don't want to see the E3 trailer remixed with godsmack in 50 different ways?

Oops.

Henroid on
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    He's adorable though.
    After all the killing on the lake, his eyes dart to the left to check Snake is watching and when hes running towards Haven after escaping his Ray and the whole Fox...DIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEE thing. He's nothing if not likable as a villain. Hes just happy to live up Big Brothers ideals, not knowing the reasoning behind those ideals.

I'm just saying,
    unlike Big Boss, Ocelot, or Solidus, Liquid's not actually a good guy. He wants to destroy the Patriots, but only so that he can take his place.
    He's more like Gene than Big Boss, in that sense. He should have called his battleship "Army's Haven".
    But we did know about that before the game came out. It was in a trailer. I had that shot of REX as my wallpaper for a while, almost a year ago now, I think. But I will add a better warning.

Re: Portable Ops

Portable Ops is fantastic. I may be a bit of a Big Boss fan-boy, but I love it's story. The gameplay can take a while to get used to, but once it clicks it's excellent.

Igort on
    edited June 2008

Oops.

Craaawling in my skiiin! These rations will not heaaal!

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
    edited June 2008
    Italax wrote: »

"The disk change joke was a nod to a similar event in MGS1, as well as pointing out Snake's age and inferiority to the advancing technology. It is not an insult aimed at 360 owners."

Should I spoiler tag it?

Also, would you like me to add your mini Big Boss run guide you posted in the last thread to the OP?

Igort on
  • xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Oops.

This made me spew beer on my computer. Thanks.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think as far as characters go, Otacon is probably my least favorite charater.

Kyougu on
    edited June 2008

Oops.

... I hate you so much. XD

Henroid on
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, today I went out and got the bundle PS3 that came with this.

Gorilla Salad on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hey guys,

Well, here it is. After much toil, I finally finished it. My Metal Gear Solid 20th Anniversary music video tribute. Has MGS4 Spoilers so be warned.

Contains ZERO:

Linkin Park
    Missile Surfing
    Pants wetting

manwiththemachinegun on
    edited June 2008
    Hey guys,

Well, here it is. After much toil, I finally finished it. My Metal Gear Solid 20th Anniversary music video tribute. Has MGS4 Spoilers so be warned.

Contains ZERO:

Linkin Park
    Missile Surfing
    Pants wetting

Very nice. I give it an A. Shame about the quality, but that's YouTube's fault, not yours.

EDIT: The music cuts are a bit jarring as well. But it's refreshing to hear music that fits and not generic "Metal"

Igort on
    edited June 2008
    Igort wrote: »

Should I spoiler tag it?

Also, would you like me to add your mini Big Boss run guide you posted in the last thread to the OP?

If people think it would be useful I don't mind. I could put quite a bit more work into that though if people wanted, that was just me mentioning the parts I struggled on.

Italax on
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
    edited June 2008

Should I spoiler tag it?

If people think it would be useful I don't mind. I could put quite a bit more work into that though if people wanted, that was just me mentioning the parts I struggled on.

I certainly think it would be useful. I don't have the guts to even attempt a Big Boss run, but your guide certainly made it seem do-able.

Igort on
    edited June 2008
    Wasn't there rumors going around a while ago about the Metal Gear movie actually going somewhere? Whatever happened to that..

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, I freely admit to its flaws, visually and with the audio. :P Thanks for your comments though!
    I'm stuck with Windows Movie Maker, so my ability to transition sound is limited.

Just wanted to do my part to send the series off with a bang. :whistle:

manwiththemachinegun on
    edited June 2008
    Wasn't there rumors going around a while ago about the Metal Gear movie actually going somewhere? Whatever happened to that..

I think it's still being worked on. There were rumours that Kojima was spending a lot of time in Hollywood, even after MGS4's music had been completed.

Italax on
    edited June 2008

I think it's still being worked on. There were rumours that Kojima was spending a lot of time in Hollywood, even after MGS4's music had been completed.

Haha, Italax you show off.

And yeah, they recently attached a writer and possible director for the project. I don't recall his name, but it was the guy who made Equilibrium and Ultraviolet.

So it could be good or bad.

Igort on
    edited June 2008

And yeah, they recently attached a writer and possible director for the project. I don't recall his name, but it was the guy who made Equilibrium and Ultraviolet.

Ahahaha I wondered if anyone would call me on it. It is a cool picture of Big Boss when you get it though!

Italax on
    edited June 2008

Hmm.. I wonder if they went with David Hayter...

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
    edited June 2008

I hope they did. Hell, I hope they dub his voice over whoever they get to play Snake. It is not Snake if it is not David Hayter's voice. I think it's amazing how much his voice actually plays into my impression of the character.

Italax on
    edited June 2008

Naa, they rejected his script. Even though Kojima said it was pretty good.

Igort on
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How do you use the MK. II during briefings? I know you get some masks and iPod songs by tooling around with it but I don't know how.

During mission briefings there's a prompt to hit the select button, which brings up a few onscreen prompts for different buttons you can press. One (L2 I think) will take what's going on in the larger of the two viewers and make it fullscreen. The same button will return it to the multi-view angle, and I believe (could be wrong) square allows you to set the MK II's view as the larger of the two screens. Then hit L2 again and you have MK II's view fullscreen. Toot around the Nomad and you'll be able to pick up a few batteries (over the course of a few briefings, leaving you with 3 total - very handy). You can also get masks by bumping into/shocking characters. It's important to note that the briefing with Campbell doesn't actually appear in the game - you have to access it from the main menu, without going into the actual game.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    edited June 2008
    Chance wrote: »

During mission briefings there's a prompt to hit the select button, which brings up a few onscreen prompts for different buttons you can press. One (L2 I think) will take what's going on in the larger of the two viewers and make it fullscreen. The same button will return it to the multi-view angle, and I believe (could be wrong) square allows you to set the MK II's view as the larger of the two screens. Then hit L2 again and you have MK II's view fullscreen. Toot around the Nomad and you'll be able to pick up a few batteries (over the course of a few briefings, leaving you with 3 total - very handy). You can also get masks by bumping into/shocking characters. It's important to note that the briefing with Campbell doesn't actually appear in the game - you have to access it from the main menu, without going into the actual game.

I think that's actually Triangle. But now I think I might be wrong.

Igort on
  • Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Chance wrote: »

I think that's actually Triangle. But now I think I might be wrong.

Ah. It was square. Thanks guys. Shocking doesn't work but I rammed everyone I could and I have everyone's but campbells. Are you referring to the mission 1 briefing? I think that is the only one you have to access yourself.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
    edited June 2008
    Man....

(act 3)
    Is the tailing mission really random or something, because this time is completely and utterly 200% different from my first runthrough of the game. The guy also seems to be batshit fucking crazy this time, but that's another story altogether

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man....

(act 3)
    Is the tailing mission really random or something, because this time is completely and utterly 200% different from my first runthrough of the game. The guy also seems to be batshit fucking crazy this time, but that's another story altogether

reply to act 3...
    I think there are times he's at-risk for capture, so those times probably depend on the ai routines for the PMCs, who I doubt are 'scripted' to anything beyond patrolling certain areas. It might be a roll of the dice whether or not they happen to look at the guy when he's vulnerable, etc. I think that aside from those variables he walks the same route.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Man....

(act 3)
    Always been the same for me, personally. Unless I decide to fuck with him for whatever reason (holding him up and searching him gets you an iPod track, as with a random PMC in that area).

Igort on
    edited June 2008
    Woodroez wrote: »
    Man....

(act 3)

reply to act 3...
    I think there are times he's at-risk for capture, so those times probably depend on the ai routines for the PMCs, who I doubt are 'scripted' to anything beyond patrolling certain areas. It might be a roll of the dice whether or not they happen to look at the guy when he's vulnerable, etc. I think that aside from those variables he walks the same route.
    Really? Because I swear the guy just walked miles around really weird parts of the city that I totally didn't go last time

Fuck, and jesus how do I even do this on hard. There's patrols every 2 seconds.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • UberEvUberEv Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Woodroez wrote: »
    Man....

(act 3)

reply to act 3...
    Really? Because I swear the guy just walked miles around really weird parts of the city that I totally didn't go last time

Fuck, and jesus how do I even do this on hard. There's patrols every 2 seconds.
    If you are going lethal, Silenced M4 can kill everything in your path without alerting. When you get to the vehicle checkpoints, use Mr. Railgun. If you don't have the railgun though, that may be a problem. That's how I did it on extreme anyway.

UberEv on