As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hellgate: London † Time to learn Korean?

• redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    WTB invites for Crumax, Nereid, and Seyfert. Mid-20s Guardian and early-mid 10's Marksman and Engineer respectively.

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I have 2 legendary pairs of pants, I'm not going to give the full details for each because only one is important for each set. The first pair is worth about 450 pal, has +65 luck and has 31 armor, the second pair is worth about 350 so 100 less, but has +7 willpower, and 33 armor. Keeping in mind that I'm a Guardian and willpower is very important to me, which should I stick with? I'm asking because I'm not exactly certain how important luck is.
    Bottom paged.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I have 2 legendary pairs of pants, I'm not going to give the full details for each because only one is important for each set. The first pair is worth about 450 pal, has +65 luck and has 31 armor, the second pair is worth about 350 so 100 less, but has +7 willpower, and 33 armor. Keeping in mind that I'm a Guardian and willpower is very important to me, which should I stick with? I'm asking because I'm not exactly certain how important luck is.
    Bottom paged.

Luck is almost worthless from what I have read.

Good moloch runs tonight guys. One copper dye kit for mezu woo woo!

Got invites off to Nouvelle and Thesenis, will get the rest tomorrow.

corin7 on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    corin7 wrote: »
    Bottom paged.

So then go with the cheaper armor that gives more protection and willpower?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man, I really like the weapon mod system. It lets me take my guns in any direction I like. Personally, I favor adding damage types and upping my status effect strengths. I have a badass shrapnel gun that explodes into fiery pieces now, and a lightning rifle that does phasing damage.

captaink on
    edited June 2008
    Bottom paged.

Yeah. In the end it won't matter much you should outgrow those pretty fast. I hardly even look at legendary items anymore.

corin7 on
  • Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    man grouping in this game is so good at 50

also i forgot to post the team photo of our moloch kills the other night

1-18.jpg

eeeeee~

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
    edited June 2008
    IvanIssacs wrote: »
    I downed Moloch last night and got a Lee's. How do I mod it? I was thinking fire dmg and ignite mods...I don't know! Also I hit 35 last night on the engineer. Damn they're fun to play. I need to make things more burny.

it does all fire damage, so you probably want to mod it for either straight +damage or +spectral damage (because phasing is still a hot debuff)

i'd go for ignite myself, but another good choice is a couple shield pen mods to get it up to 100% with ignites

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
    edited June 2008
    Bottom paged.

Yeah. In the end it won't matter much you should outgrow those pretty fast. I hardly even look at legendary items anymore.
    Lol I just got a mental image of you like in a ritzy suit and top hat coming across a giant diamond in the street and going, "Eww a diamond, I hardly ever look at those anymore now that I have SUPER diamonds."

The_Spaniard on
  • KassKass Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, question... I'm just about to kill Syodnai (on normal) with my new engineer. After that, though... where should I go? Wander around stonehenge for a bit or jump right into nightmare? I'm super concerned about my gear or drops (since I'm just approaching level 30), and am more concerned about getting closer to 50 to focus on some of the later game junk. Any advice?

Kass on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Damnit, looks like I missed the window(or the first one), to transfer to the TC.

Will there likely be another chance, and if so, do I have to keep an eye out and transfer quickly when it comes up, or can I queue my character for transfer?

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited June 2008
    Kass wrote: »
    So, question... I'm just about to kill Syodnai (on normal) with my new engineer. After that, though... where should I go? Wander around stonehenge for a bit or jump right into nightmare? I'm super concerned about my gear or drops (since I'm just approaching level 30), and am more concerned about getting closer to 50 to focus on some of the later game junk. Any advice?

you want to do some stonehenge, though you can start nightmare at 30 if you really want

but really SH is awesome and you should check it out a little bit

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Again, like The Witcher, this is a game I want to come back to, but not until the patch.

Any idea how long the patches are on the PTR before they go live? Or has there been a rough eta on when this will go live?

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
    edited June 2008
    arcath wrote: »
    Again, like The Witcher, this is a game I want to come back to, but not until the patch.

Any idea how long the patches are on the PTR before they go live? Or has there been a rough eta on when this will go live?

My guess is we will see 2.0 in mid July.

corin7 on
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What's the best way to level up? I've got this level 34 elite Engineer that I'm working on, but the monster density in Wake Hallow is so low that it's slow going. Any suggestions on good zones to level up? This character has Nightmare unlocked but not started.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
    edited June 2008
    I would say get five of your favourite essences (demon for guardian i guess) and just farm the hell out of the zone without killing the endboss (ie farm hell's heart but don't kill errgoth)

but i'm not sure how elite is different in terms of monster density so i can't really help

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I went searching and found out why there isn't (and likely will never be) any blood in the game.

http://forums.hellgatelondon.com/showpost.php?p=1058639&postcount=15

Guess I won't be picking this up. The game lacks too much in the visceral feel of combat.

JAEF on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I dunno, de-limbing zombies is pretty awesome.

captaink on
    edited June 2008
    i wouldn't say it has any less atmosphere than, say, diablo 2 or even WoW

i think it's worth checking out but i'm a hack 'n slash junkie so your milage may vary

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man I love D2's atmosphere but if I had to fault Hellgate in one section it would definitely be the presentation, whether atmosphere or story.

The music is pretty non-existant and seems to randomly start and stop. It is also really lame compared to D2s music but I guess that's an unfair comparison. The maps so far have been decidedly unscary. Granted, D2 wasn't really scary looking either because of the graphical limitations, but at least it had stuff like impaled bodies and blood coating the walls in some areas. The hell areas of D2 were just really impressively detailed for the time.

My biggest fault though is with the NPC dialogue and voices. There isn't a single serious motherfucker in the entire game so far (granted I'm only about halfway through the main campaign at this point, but I hear it's like this all the way through). It feels like the dialogue was written at the last second by some 14 year old who thinks the holy grail is the pinnacle of comedy and that random = funny. A few nights ago I was in the middle of a quest when the questgiver started making the stupidest fucking jokes in the mission text. It completely killed my enthusiasm.

It's so weird, too. Blizzard North has always had a fairly gritty art team and visual direction, as well as pretty good epic and morbid storytelling ability (cmon, tell me the cutscenes with Tyrael in D2 weren't awesome). Hellgate even looks like it's going to start out that way. The beginning seems pretty dark and serious, and the opening cinematic is awesome, but it quickly veers into confusing sentence structure, immature jokes and every NPC being a lame caricature of a funny british person.

Don't get me wrong. I really love this game and even if I don't keep subscriber status forever I'm going to be playing it for ages. I can't fault the gameplay. But the atmosphere and dialogue makes me long for D2.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    JAEF wrote: »
    So I went searching and found out why there isn't (and likely will never be) any blood in the game.

Guess I won't be picking this up. The game lacks too much in the visceral feel of combat.
    The hunter and cabalist classes always felt a bit lacking in this way (something about the guns in this game lacks impact) but Templar classes feel pretty connected and visceral, especially with DX10 motion blur effects. Especially when you get a spectral damage kill where half the demon's body gets vaporised or have a weapon like my current volcanic firebrand which has half the monsters I fight end up exploding in flaming chunks.

Also I could swear there's a spurt of blood into the air when you chop off a zombie's upper body. Just no decals or anything, but considering the massive numbers of enemies blood effects would cover every surface and probably have an effect on performance.
    Riale wrote: »
    A few nights ago I was in the middle of a quest when the questgiver started making the stupidest fucking jokes in the mission text.
    People actually read the mission text?

-SPI- on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »
    A few nights ago I was in the middle of a quest when the questgiver started making the stupidest fucking jokes in the mission text.

That's the reasoning behind why they went for pure lowbrow 'entertainment' value in the mission text.

devoir on
  • existexist Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    devoir wrote: »

That's the reasoning behind why they went for pure lowbrow 'entertainment' value in the mission text.

No, I stopped reading the mission text after I found out it was a bunch of irrelevant bullshit.

exist on
    UmPiq.png
    edited June 2008
    exist wrote: »

No, I stopped reading the mission text after I found out it was a bunch of irrelevant bullshit.

The reasoning goes: How many players actually read anything except the objective list?

You might be an exception.

devoir on
  • existexist Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

The reasoning goes: How many players actually read anything except the objective list?

An exception in the general playerbase, probably. I wouldn't be surprised if around here I'm not the only one though.

exist on
    UmPiq.png
    edited June 2008
    Yes, yes, I get it. I'm not saying it was a smart thing to do, but that was the reasoning behind it. Arguing that you and others find it off putting is a lost cause, they already have toned it down from what it was.

devoir on
  • redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Man, ditching the gore and dropping recognizable imagery to appease foreign governments is kinda disappointing, but I guess them's the breaks when it's your studio's first game and sole breadwinner. Gotta make it work in every market to squeeze it for every drop of funding for sequels and side projects. D:

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think more people would be inclined to read the mission text if they delivered it in a better way. Clicking through each and every line of text is really annoying.

-SPI- on
    edited June 2008
    i think the general fluff could have been great if the game wasn't afraid of taking itself seriously

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Little Jim wrote: »
    i think the general fluff could have been great if the game wasn't afraid of taking itself seriously
    That would never work. I mean, look at every other successful game in the genr....

fuck.

JAEF on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I think by doing it this way, they only make it more sure that no one reads it. I was reading all the dialogue at first, but stopped when it wasn't engaging me.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited June 2008

I'm sorry, but that's the biggest god damned cop out answer EVER! I can understand a couple of points he makes, but if you are trying to tell me you can't at least have client side blood decals/particle effects or gore I'm very inclined to call le bullshit. M rated my ass..

The_Spaniard on
  • RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The hunter and cabalist classes always felt a bit lacking in this way (something about the guns in this game lacks impact)

yeah no kidding. I love my marksman, but that's my biggest complaint with him. I had a friend come over and I showed him Hellgate and he couldn't stop laughing about how ridiculously weak the assault rifles sounded.

And it's not that hard to make even mildly engaging quest text. Was I the only dude who stopped to listen to the NPCs in D2? That was some cool story.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    On the gore note - he did mention that he's going to bring it back up with a team lead to see if there would be a way of changing this in the future. That's the wonderful thing about a game with a constant income stream - hopefully we'll be able to see the needle shift on this.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Threepio wrote: »
    On the gore note - he did mention that he's going to bring it back up with a team lead to see if there would be a way of changing this in the future. That's the wonderful thing about a game with a constant income stream - hopefully we'll be able to see the needle shift on this.
    I'd also like to comment on the recognizable imagery. Who's to say that they can't make territory dictated instances/tilesets? Like if you are a gamer in the US you could play in a traditional hellish level with upside-down crucifixes and pentagrams? The levels are randomly generated so it's not like it's a lot of work concepting out, designing, and building all these levels, you just create some territory based titlesets for gamers in different countries.

The_Spaniard on
  • PiyoPiyo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    And it's not that hard to make even mildly engaging quest text. Was I the only dude who stopped to listen to the NPCs in D2? That was some cool story.

All the stupid jokes in the quest text are really what ruins it. I'd take characters that were overly serious and grave all the time rather than text saturated with lame jokes any day of the week. The game's atmosphere and what the character's are saying always seems to be at odds in Hellgate: London.

In comparison, Diablo 2 took its story and settings very seriously, but wasn't afraid to have fun from time to time (cow level, wirt's leg). By keeping the tomfoolery to a minimum, however, they made it even more special and fun.

Piyo on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2008
    I miss Holloway's old voice. :winky:

Echo on
  • sgt robsgt rob Pure Rock Fury Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Just got back into this game but having some troubles.

I find the melee classes a bit more interesting so I have a 19 guardian in elite but if an enemy is out of melee range I have the hardest time killing them. So I setup a grappling gun in another slot and then pull/shield bash to stun them and keep them close. Is this my only option for flying enemies? It works 'ok' for normal enemies but once I was in stonehedge and there were these dragons flying around that refused to be pulled/stunned. It was the most annoying thing I have ever seen.

sgt rob on
    Alien imposter. Pretender. I'll keep you safe now. Close to my heart.
    edited June 2008
    sgt rob wrote: »
    Just got back into this game but having some troubles.

I find the melee classes a bit more interesting so I have a 19 guardian in elite but if an enemy is out of melee range I have the hardest time killing them. So I setup a grappling gun in another slot and then pull/shield bash to stun them and keep them close. Is this my only option for flying enemies? It works 'ok' for normal enemies but once I was in stonehedge and there were these dragons flying around that refused to be pulled/stunned. It was the most annoying thing I have ever seen.

My f2 setup is a grappler and sword it works great. I can kill ash in a minute or two with my blademaster using this setup.

corin7 on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Anyone else been having some really annoying disconnect issues? I've tried to do some quests in Liverpool a good 3-4 times, and at best I get 2 zones in before it disconnects me and I have to start clearing to the zone again.

And yet strangely I can kill all 4 Stonehenge bosses without trouble.

Also; BAM, 48!

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!