As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What you didn't know about the games you play

• Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Don't use the x-zone bug on the undead behemoth in FFVI. It always crashed the game for me.

The dupe bug in FFIV was awesome.

The negative zone bug in SMB.

In Civ4, I wouldn't call it a bug, but when playing against the computer with the release version they did not recieve free units and you could just run and take them out right off if they had a scout. The patch gives them two warriors in their starting city.

In Asheron's Call you could move while casting spells. When you'd cast a ring spell (they would make a circle of damage around you) you could move and spin and hit people multiple times. I once hit a guy three times for dead after I vulned him. He wasn't happy.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Remington wrote:
    Why is it so impossible for you to explain, then?

Various reasons. Not least of all because I've been explicitly told by mods not to talk about it (I've requested permission to make a topic on it all several times). I've been making a topic about it at the platformers, though, but haven't posted it yet.

hey hey, how about some Knuckles in Sonic 3 WITHOUT sonic & knuckles?

s3snap003wg8.gif

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Huh...

I wish I knew how it was done.

Remington on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    redthingyh5.gif

Sonic 3 special stage placed within a normal level.

I could post shit like this for days.

s3lavareefhackpz8.gif

Lava Reef Zone in sonic 3 without Sonic & Knuckles.

s3fbz1kh9.jpg

Flying Battery Zone boss in Sonic 3 without Sonic & Knuckles.

yummy2be3.gif

Lost sonic 3 intro where Sonic surfs onto the beach instead of Super Sonic.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    woodyeszf7.gif
    Missing level pallette placed over Emerald Hill Zone in Sonic 2

manualvx8.png
    Not really a glitch, but look at the manual for sonic 2. It's got a picture of a title screen that is different from the Sonic 2 title screen. Interestingly enough, the pose sonic and tails are in are IDENTICAL to the title screen for sonic 2 on the game gear/sega master system, just flipped and sonic has a different hand.

s2smstitlelm8.png
    See? That's the game gear version's title screen.

Speaking of Sonic 2 on the Game Gear...

s18bitmountaintm2.png

There is no mountain zone. This loads no level, it causes the game to crash.

warpingxs4.gif
    Time Travel? In sonic 1?!

s1googles9thah2.gif
    Unlimited air goggles in Sonic 1. they were supposed to be a "goggles" powerup which would give you goggles and unlimited air.

tvgogglesnr9.gif
    The powerup.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Oh oh, here's one that I can actually explain in full detail:
    Sunyate wrote:
    The first day sonic the frikkkin hedgehog came out, i devoured the game, and noticed a strange curiosity within the scrap brain. for years, i've asked people to tell me what it is, and nobody knew, or just ignored me.

Peek at this pic, nevermind the visible monitor. there's a hidden monitor in the wall. once hit, something pink pops its head thru the chrome. a flower? i was never able to recognize the sprite..

s1blahgweahja7.jpg

Using a Pro Action Replay and debug mode to remove all platforms, this is what it ends up being:

s1weirdmonitorda9.gif

When broken, a weird piece of shit pops up, like so:

s1weirdmonitor2aj2.gif

After much discussion and debate, we figured out what it is. Behold:

flowerun6.gif

You can find such other dud boxes around SBZ at these debug locations:

04F0 03D0
    0590 03D0
    05F0 03D0
    05F0 04D0
    0690 03D0
    0690 04D0
    0710 01B0
    0A30 0200
    0AD0 01E0
    0AD0 0270

Weird, huh?

EDIT: If anyone cares or wants me to, I can post a lot more weird glitches and shit from sonic. I've got litteral volumes of stuff like this from sonic. Some are more interesting than others.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Keep going this is awesome.

Brings back memories of the Debug mode from Sonic 3. And all the intresting stuff you could do with that.

That was like garry's mod for the megadrive.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh oh, here's one that I can actually explain in full detail:
    Sunyate wrote:
    The first day sonic the frikkkin hedgehog came out, i devoured the game, and noticed a strange curiosity within the scrap brain. for years, i've asked people to tell me what it is, and nobody knew, or just ignored me.

Peek at this pic, nevermind the visible monitor. there's a hidden monitor in the wall. once hit, something pink pops its head thru the chrome. a flower? i was never able to recognize the sprite..

s1blahgweahja7.jpg

Using a Pro Action Replay and debug mode to remove all platforms, this is what it ends up being:

s1weirdmonitorda9.gif

When broken, a weird piece of shit pops up, like so:

s1weirdmonitor2aj2.gif

After much discussion and debate, we figured out what it is. Behold:

flowerun6.gif

You can find such other dud boxes around SBZ at these debug locations:

04F0 03D0
    0590 03D0
    05F0 03D0
    05F0 04D0
    0690 03D0
    0690 04D0
    0710 01B0
    0A30 0200
    0AD0 01E0
    0AD0 0270

Weird, huh?

EDIT: If anyone cares or wants me to, I can post a lot more weird glitches and shit from sonic. I've got litteral volumes of stuff like this from sonic. Some are more interesting than others.

in the words of hte internet: poast moar

EDIT: And you should finish that thread on Platformers. For some reason even though I don't understand all of it all this sonic technical stuff is interesting to me :P

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That's amazing.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Alright. Maybe a mod should prune my replies and make them they're own topic? I have a lot more stuff to show, but some of it isn't so much a glitch as it is odd shit that people probably haven't seen before.

pcm04da21miyake3dd8.png
    Sonic the human hedgehog?

pcm12da25nisimur3wm4.png
    It says "Enjoy forever. Sega Enterprises. -Majin"

scdextrapv9.gif
    Lost 8th's special stage from Sonic CD.

Alright, for this next glitch, I'm gonna need to go into a bit of history....

when sonic 1 was shown off, other than GHZ, the primarily shown level was Marble Zone. It was a highly publicized level, with many early magazine scans, like so:

s1protomzufodebugju3.jpg

Aside from the lava being a different texture, the main thing odd with this picture are the floating things in the sky. What the hell are they? After much searching, someone finally found a moving picture of them in, of all the odd places, Wayne's World the movie.

Pretty big GIF from Wayne's world showing the things in the background

Turns out they're supposed to be UFOs, and they were removed very late into Sonic's developement (as we can tell. Look at the video - the HUD says "Rings" instead of "Ring". All promotional sonic photos say "Ring." The 'S' was added extremely late into Sonic development, meaning any shot that says "Rings" are from a release candidate version.)

So, where the fuck are they? After a lot of research, someone found out the object still exists in the Cell Phone version of Sonic that is available in japan, as so:

post11143766990cl9.gif

The search continues, but many are positive there is a way to put them back into Sonic 1 using a PAR.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention - for the 2 pieces of artwork that look spooky above, they have music that accompany them that make them absolutely horrifying.

here's a link to the first one recreated: Scary

I made a flash version of the second, but I can't find it. You can imagine how scary they are, though.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    my god, you know soo much about sonic.

LewieP on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I give permission to, in this thread, discuss any of that Sonic crap in detail.

Just be delicate.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    SeagoonSeagoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Not really a glitch, but amusing nonetheless. In Medal Of Honor: Allied Assault multiplayer on the PC, one could crouch-walk, whilst leaning side to side, resulting in a 'duck waddle'. I believe the expansion pack Spearhead remedied this.

Best use of leaning in a videogame IMO.

Seagoon on
    Seagoon.png
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    s1protomzufodebugju3.jpg

Turns out they're supposed to be UFOs, and they were removed very late into Sonic's developement (as we can tell. Look at the video - the HUD says "Rings" instead of "Ring". All promotional sonic photos say "Ring." The 'S' was added extremely late into Sonic development, meaning any shot that says "Rings" are from a release candidate version.)

Was the'E' in score added late in development too?

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    While we're on the subject of pre-release images...

sonicdarkbggq8.gif
    welcomenz7.gif

The very first 2 images of Sonic the hedgehog ever shown off. Look how different GHZ used to be.

sparkelingnx7.gif
    Spring Yard Zone used to be known as Sparkling Zone, and had a much different (and, IMO, better) pallette.

s1protosparklingfallqa8.jpg
    Look how badass the zone used to look.

lzblackbgdt1.gif
    Labrynth Zone extremely early in development.

s1protolabluelh8.jpg
    Another early shot, this time underwater. This shows off some weird stuff - for one, the wrong pallette changes. The forground pallette stays the same, while the bg pallette swaps black with blue. Strange.

labyrinth3sd4.jpg
    A later prototype. LZ used to have a very different (and again, better IMO) background. Strange.

orkxj3.gif
    This is very odd. Ok, first up, this is act 1, but if any of you have gotten to scrap brain zone before, you know act 1 looks 100% different. That's act 2's background. Second, it says "Clock(w)ork zone" instead of SBZ. This is odd, but is even odder when we notice that the w is missing. Why is it missing? Because, if you look at the letter's used in sonic 1, W is never used. That's right, this screenshot is apparently using the final version of sonic 1's font, which DOESN'T have a W. this is confirmed with PAR editing - you can change level names using a pro-action replay and, if you change a name to something that begins with a W, it doesn't show up. So they named a zone knowing full well that W didn't exist. Why did they do this? Unknown...

slzmissingareago1.gif

That's from the back of sonic 1's box. The area doesn't exist in Starlight zone, and the background is different.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Was the'E' in score added late in development too?

No, I've actually explained it before in detail, let me grab the post...
    Oh oh, but here's a cool bit of info I found from reading the sonic 1 source code.

Debug mode in sonic 1 is, at the title screen, press up, C, down, C, left, C, right, C, then hold a+start. this is pretty well known.

When you do this, the time and score get all weird looking, like so:

sonic2_5.gif

Well, if you've ever wondered what the hell they're displaying, it works like so:

the score is broken up into 4 bytes, each displaying numbers in hexadecimal. The first 4 nybbles of the top row of the score displays sonic's current X position. The next 4 nybbles of the top row displays his Y position.

On the second row, the top 4 nybbles displays the game's camera's X position. the bottom 4 nybbles display the camera's Y position.

The time displays the current number of sprites being displayed at once. If you want to break the sega genesis, turn into a ring and place 80 rings on the level. Then move down a bit and place a moving platform. Return to the area with the rings and wait. As the platform raises up, the genesis will glitch up, because it's trying to display 81 sprites at once. The genesis could only display 80 sprites at a time.

In sonic 2, the debug info was way different. The top row displays sonic's X and Y positions, but the bottom row is different. The first 4 nybbles are the current time, in hex. The last 4 are a counter, which is the main game counter. It is used to keep track of when platforms are supposed to move and such. It works by counting up in hex. I.E. 0000->000F, and then 0010-001F, etc.

So you see, that's a screenshot with debug mode on. Now, expanding on what I said, it uses the score counter as the position for the X and Y coordinates because it has a lot of text value (I.e. the letter "s", "c", "o", "r", "e", and several 0's afterwards). These values can be modified to allow the game to display numeric data.

In this particular instance, they needed more numbers to display the coordinates, so "Score" drops the 'E' and adds it to the coordinates being shown.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    apotheos wrote:

Just be delicate.

K. Would you care to prune my discussion into another topic so I don't end up further hijacking this thread?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Jesus McChristJesus McChrist Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh, and the Item Reset glitch in Super Metroid was pretty kick ass.

It takes Mother Brain 30 minutes of HYPER BRAIN BEAM ATTACK to drain me of all my health. And I've got about 40 reserve tanks as well.

Jesus McChrist on
    if you can read this i hope you have a good day partner
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wow.. This stuff is interesting. I demand more! :shock:

Rizzi on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    apotheos wrote:

Just be delicate.

K. Would you care to prune my discussion into another topic so I don't end up further hijacking this thread?

It seems appropriate to this one, really. And it doesn't look like people are lining up with other ideas at the moment.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Here's one from Sonic 1

At the "Sonic Team Present's" screen, press C,C,C,C,C,C,U,D,L,R then hold A,B,C and Down when demo starts.

The following will appear:
    sonic1secretmessagenn0.png
    It's the game's true credits (the final credits at the end are presented in cryptic fashion. I.E. Yuji Naka is named 'Yu2').

It says:
    Program Naka Yuuji
    Plan Yasuhara Hirokazu
    Design Ooshima Naoto
    Design Ishiwatari (Jina)
    Design Kataoka Rieko
    Sound Produce Nakamura Masato
    Sound Program Kubota Hiroshi
    Sound Program Makino Yukifumi

zone2xe4.gif
    You can find odd icons like these all through out the special stage by entering debug mode in them. There are "Zone" icons from 1-6, and a "W" icon, too. There are also unused chaos emeralds and a sonic icon. None of them work.

wreckal1.gif
    Dr. Robotnik's ball was originally an object in sonic 1. It was modified to be a boss object at the very end. If you go into debug mode, and scroll through the objects, you can see a large sprite jumble that turns out to be this. It's unplaceable.

theballny8.gif

A preproduction image of the ball in action.

victoryposevd9.gif

When you beat a level, originally Sonic was supposed to jump in the air and fist-pound the sky (hence the odd "100 points" markers near the end of the level).

greenhill3gi2.jpg

A preproduction image of it in work.

spinuo4.gif

These are odd sonic sprites that are unused in the game. Their use is unknown, but many think they were originally a spin-dash type of move.

splatssz6.gif
    Splats the bunny- an enemy cut from Greenhill zone. This enemy is very famous, and we know a lot about it, because a lot of info on him was released from sega AFTER sonic 1 came out. D'oh.

splatsox1.jpg
    A playing card released by sega AFTER sonic 1 came out.

EDIT: I'm gonna go eat dinner real quick. I got no plans for tonight, though, so if you'd like, I could go throuhg sonic 1-knuckles, and the other games too, and point out all the weird shit in them when I get back.

Sonic 2 has a metric fuck-load of odd shit in it, since it was in development the longest.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    <3 TheSonicRetard

The only one of these I ever found was in sonic 2 - a very odd pallete swap for sonic. Go into debug, drop a fuckload of waterfalls on top of each other (the taller one which sonic would normally pass behind), and then change back into sonic behind them. The framrate will drop a hell of a lot, and if done right, sonic will emerge from behind them.... coloured red and black.

Like shadow.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Here's one from Sonic 1

At the "Sonic Team Present's" screen, press C,C,C,C,C,C,U,D,L,R then hold A,B,C and Down when demo starts.

The following will appear:
    sonic1secretmessagenn0.png
    It's the game's true credits (the final credits at the end are presented in cryptic fashion. I.E. Yuji Naka is named 'Yu2').

It says:
    Program Naka Yuuji
    Plan Yasuhara Hirokazu
    Design Ooshima Naoto
    Design Ishiwatari (Jina)
    Design Kataoka Rieko
    Sound Produce Nakamura Masato
    Sound Program Kubota Hiroshi
    Sound Program Makino Yukifumi

zone2xe4.gif
    You can find odd icons like these all through out the special stage by entering debug mode in them. There are "Zone" icons from 1-6, and a "W" icon, too. There are also unused chaos emeralds and a sonic icon. None of them work.

wreckal1.gif
    Dr. Robotnik's ball was originally an object in sonic 1. It was modified to be a boss object at the very end. If you go into debug mode, and scroll through the objects, you can see a large sprite jumble that turns out to be this. It's unplaceable.

theballny8.gif

A preproduction image of the ball in action.

victoryposevd9.gif

When you beat a level, originally Sonic was supposed to jump in the air and fist-pound the sky (hence the odd "100 points" markers near the end of the level).

greenhill3gi2.jpg

A preproduction image of it in work.

spinuo4.gif

These are odd sonic sprites that are unused in the game. Their use is unknown, but many think they were originally a spin-dash type of move.

splatssz6.gif
    Splats the bunny- an enemy cut from Greenhill zone. This enemy is very famous, and we know a lot about it, because a lot of info on him was released from sega AFTER sonic 1 came out. D'oh.

splatsox1.jpg
    A playing card released by sega AFTER sonic 1 came out.

EDIT: I'm gonna go eat dinner real quick. I got no plans for tonight, though, so if you'd like, I could go throuhg sonic 1-knuckles, and the other games too, and point out all the weird shit in them when I get back.

Sonic 2 has a metric fuck-load of odd shit in it, since it was in development the longest.

:D yes please

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Not necessarily a glitch, but close enough probably:
    spotted.jpg

One of my Star Wars Galaxy quest NPCs was way out in the middle of the ocean for some reason:
    galaxySurvey.jpg

mrflippy on
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    For the love of god if this is going to continue, please don't quote a big fucking post to add two words.

That said, TSR this is awesome. :)

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Onto Sonic 2...

Alright, there's a lot of weird stuff in sonic 2. First and foremost, it's worth noting that Sonic 2 isn't really a sequel, but more of an expansion on Sonic 1. All the sonic games are, in fact. They're built using the same game engine. Each game is litterally built on top of the last game, as levels are removed and new features added (hence the Greenhill Zone with tails screenshot - that was sonic 2, not sonic 1).

Here's some more left over shit from sonic 1 that's in sonic 2:

s2nastageselecths7.png
    The original stage select is intact in Sonic 2. I mean, litterally the original stage select. Look - same sonic 1 names, but this is sonic 2. Going to each level takes you to some weird levels, some from sonic 1, some from sonic 2.

let's go to Greenhill Zone first.

s2naghz2so8.png
    I've already shown the pictures of GHZ from sonic 1 in sonic 2, but what I didn't show is that it's completely unplayable. That's because there is 1 major difference in sonic 1 and sonic 2. I've explained it before, so I'll quote it:
    The only other differences between sonic 2 and sonic 1 are that sonic 2 uses a 128 x 128 tile mapping, while sonic 1 used a 256 x 256 tile mapping. This is, presumably, why sonic 2's levels are bigger with more variation.

Sonic 2 also has a different slope resistance algorythm. Beyond all these, sonic 2 and sonic 1 are neigh identical. Sonic 3 and sonic 2 are even more identical. You can almost port a level of sonic 2 to sonic 3 with no change.

To expand on what I mean by tile mappings, here's another post of mine:
    I've learned explicitly how sonic the hedgehog handles art. It's really pretty interesting. Within the game, all art is stored in 8x8 tiles, and each pixel of each tile is 16 bytes. The tiles are actually colorless, and each pixel simply points to a value from 1-16. The 8x8 tiles are then put together, on the fly, using game code and a graphics loading block built into sonic the hedgehog. a single 8x8 tile is not placeable by the sega genesis - the bare minimum for a sprite, under sonic the hedgehog, is 16 tiles by 16 tiles. So each graphic in sonic (i.e. 16x16 sprite, not 8x8 tile) is stored as a single 5 byte block. 4 blocks are devoted to memory addresses of 8x8 tiles, and 1 byte is devoted to a memory address of an internal color pallette.

From there, the process repeats, and individual chunks of shit in sonic are built using this repeated graphics loading block and 8 x 8 tile format. Depending on what the object is, there are different specifications. For example, each piece of land in sonic the hedgehog is made up of 256 x 256 pixels. It's stored in a single 5 byte file. The way to view the actual data used for the piece of land is to work in reverse: it's a 256 x 256 tile, which means it's made up of 4 128 x 128 piece tiles, each of which are made up of 4 64 x 64 piece tiles, each of which are made up of 4 32 x 32 piece tiles, each are made up of 4 16 x 16 tiles, each are made up of 4 8 x 8 tiles. It's remarkably efficient, and pretty fucking neat, because, at it's base, there isn't that much unique art in sonic the hedgehog, new art is basically created on the fly using the same 8 x 8 tiles over and over again.

Now, with this knowledge in hand, some people have actually gotten their hands on the developement tools used to create sonic the hedgehog, and know full well how the game works. I'll sum it up to explain why the levels don't work.
    Sonic the hedgehog is one of the most impressive games ever released. At surface value, it looks like a mario game, but when you begin to examine the game engine, it is one of the most complex game engines created. While Yuji Naka is a terrible producer and designer, he is a fucking BRILLIANT coder. Sit back for a moment and just look at the physics of sonic the hedgehog. There is a lot in sonic the hedgehog's engine that really goes over looked.

For example, in Mario World, mario always jumps vertically. This is because of how mario's jump routine works. They simply decrease his vertical velocity. Go onto a hill, and jump, and you'll jump straight up.

Sonic's jump routine was far more complex. Sonic jumps perpendicular to whatever piece of ground he's standing on. While this in it's own is pretty impressive, what's more impressive is how the game FINDS the perpendicular ground. It actually reads the angle of the ground you're walking on DEPENDING ON THE IMAGE OF THE GROUND and puts you perpendicular to that angle. Go onto a hill in sonic, and jump, and you'll jump backwards and up.

A good example to demonstrate how complex and neat this is... load up sonic 1. Stand still, don't press left or right, and jump... you'll jump forward a little. When you land, jump again, and you'll jump backwards. You can actually move quite a bit into the level just by jumping. The game is actually reading all those little hills in the ground. They aren't just for decoration.

And this is just from the jump routine. Those hills actually affect your speed, velocity, and weight. Sonic has weight in sonic 1, which is why he speeds up when you roll down a hill.

Really amazing engine.

Someone asked "So you're telling me the engine can determine the slope of the ground just by looking at the ground's image file?", which I said:
    Yes.

The engine actually constantly has a pointer infront of sonic and at the center of sonic at all times. The engine uses a standard pixel-perfect collision routine to determine when the pixels first intersect. It then determines the angle sonic is based taking the arc tangent of the pointer he's currently on over the pointer 1 pixel in front of him.

Now, this is a little misleading. The game doesn't actually determine by the art, they determine by the solidity chart of each tile. Let me show a couple of screenshots of the development tools used to make sonic the hedgehog to explain how it works:

soned5vk7.gif
    As you can see, the editor lets you assign 8x8 tiles over a big block of land. This is the art side of the editor.

Below the art, however, the editor lets you choose solidity, which looks like this:

editorfq9.png

What you're looking at is solidity charts. These are essentially binary blocks of 8x8. For every 8x8 block, you assign one of these charts to it. This tells the game engine what parts of each image are solid, and what parts are not. This is why sonic doesn't run jagged over ground with blades of grass showing - the blades aren't solid, it has a flat solidity chart.

Now then, in the screenshot above, sonic is running straight down. Why? Because sonic 2 changed it's art format AND solidity charts. So the levels are compatible and they are not.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    omgboomlol wrote:
    Missingno.gif
    I don't know how or why it happened, my MissingNo looks like a Vulpix.

Fucking weak.

SpazMuffin on
    Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    so, I'm pretty TSR could have singlehandidly done a much better job of porting sonic 1 to GBA than sega did.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Jesus McChristJesus McChrist Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm still busy being creeped out by the Batsonic, but the engine thing is horribly facinating. I did notice the physics at the time, but didn't think that much of it. Blast processing, after all.

Jesus McChrist on
    if you can read this i hope you have a good day partner
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    plufim wrote:
    <3 TheSonicRetard

The only one of these I ever found was in sonic 2 - a very odd pallete swap for sonic. Go into debug, drop a fuckload of waterfalls on top of each other (the taller one which sonic would normally pass behind), and then change back into sonic behind them. The framrate will drop a hell of a lot, and if done right, sonic will emerge from behind them.... coloured red and black.

Like shadow.

Yeah, this is a pretty well known glitch. People in the sonic community have named him "Ashura."

He exists in other colors too, most common being green and black.
    Cool Tricks & Bugs
    Ashura The Hedgehog:
    The Ashura Code is probably the most famous code next to Super Sonic. And the nick "Ashura" has stuck to Sonic even to this day ---- To get the green sonic you must enter the level select and debug code. Then you must choose one of the Emerald Hill Zone levels because the code only works in Emerald Hill Zone (1 or 2.) When you start the level press B, you will be a ring,then press a four times,you will be four rings in a row going up or down,you then hold C and right for about 5 seconds,then you go back to the begining, keep pressing a until your the top of a waterfall. You may not see yourself but you're there. Now do the same thing as before, hold C and right for about five seconds. Then press B and you'll be green.

sonic2ashurake8.png

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Someone knows entirely too much about Sonic the Hedgehog.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    omgboomlolomgboomlol __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    SpazMuffin wrote:
    omgboomlol wrote:
    Missingno.gif
    I don't know how or why it happened, my MissingNo looks like a Vulpix.

Fucking weak.
    I've heard that could happen. My sister caught one, but, it messed up her game. But, she was satisfied that she had, in fact, caught them all. Also, she recently found out that you can catch mew and last I heard she is looking for her old cart.

omgboomlol on
    omgboomlolud1.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    LewieP wrote:
    so, I'm pretty TSR could have singlehandidly done a much better job of porting sonic 1 to GBA than sega did.
    True. Sega, if you're listening, hire this man.

omgboomlol on
    omgboomlolud1.gif
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    TSR just gave me a whole new level of respect for game developers.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The no-sword glitch in zelda:OoT was possibly my favorite and outright best in terms of fooling around. I spent many hours just fooling around with that.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    thej3wthej3w Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    TSR, years ago when I played Sonic1 I got a chaos emerald in the level. You know the walls you could destroy if you rolled into them? Thats where it appeared. I never seen anything online about this. Any ideas?

thej3w on
    J4ku.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Alright, going on, if we select Marble zone, we wind up in Chemical Plant Zone. A bit of history about Chemical Plant Zone...

Chemical Plant Zone was one of the first levels in sonic to be worked on (the other two being Emerald Hill Zone and Hidden Palace Zone). Those 3 zones went through almost 0 changes in the entire development of Sonic 2.

The first known image of CPZ came from Nick Arcade in 1991. People have recorded and captured a single burry screenshot of it. The only noticable difference is that CPZ used to have a purple background, like so:

s2nacpzcomp2wd8.png

The screengrab.

s2nacpzcomp1na0.png

The final version. Notice the background is different.

People have contacted the person who worked on the level (an american) and he's actually provided the sonic community with a wealth of information, not least of which being screenshots. Behold:

s2nacpzcomp3si8.png

Old version of Sonic 2.

s2nacpz4zg2.png
    What's pretty interesting is that CPZ was built ontop of Greenhill Zone. In the early versions, the ring data from GHZ was still intact.

s2naghzmons5lm1.png

See?

Thats about it for that zone... I know it's not too interesting, but the other zones are a LOT more interesting...

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Bringing Relm into the Phoenix Cave in FFVI pretty much broke the game. It would start with the menu reorganizing itself, and eventually end with monsters appearing with the information (you'd fight Douchebag, but it would actually be Jackass, with Douchebag's name and graphic), and finally just crashing. Good times.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I know it's not too interesting, but the other zones are a LOT more interesting...
    I don't think that's the case at all. In fact, it is pretty damn cool. :^:

omgboomlol on
    omgboomlolud1.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Shadowfire wrote:
    Bringing Relm into the Phoenix Cave in FFVI pretty much broke the game. It would start with the menu reorganizing itself, and eventually end with monsters appearing with the information (you'd fight Douchebag, but it would actually be Jackass, with Douchebag's name and graphic), and finally just crashing. Good times.
    It's a good thing she warmed the bench in my playthrough.

omgboomlol on
    omgboomlolud1.gif