As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Big Boss And Cigars (Not a MGS4 Spoiler)

selderaneselderane Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Games and Technology
As a fan of cigars I was wondering what brand Big Boss smoked. Does anyone know?

selderane on

• KirkKirk Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    meat

Kirk on
  • KagnarosKagnaros Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Mari Juana Cigars.

Kagnaros on
    fss.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Lungfuckers.

Couscous on
  • CamuiCamui Sogekidan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Is there any pictures of the cigars?

Camui on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    They were Romeo y Julieta Cuban cigars. They can be purchased here.

UnbreakableVow on
  • selderaneselderane Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Camui wrote: »
    Is there any pictures of the cigars?

A good question. When smoked on screen I noticed a red label at the base and I believe they were torpedo-shaped. Someone mentioned Montecristo #2s but I think they did so because they believe Big Boss would only smoke the best, and not out of any real knowledge. Though, the Montecristo is torpedo-shaped.

I sent Konami an e-mail asking them but if I do get a reply I expect it to take some time.

selderane on
    edited June 2008

How do you know those are the correct ones?

selderane on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You will never be as cool as Big Boss even if you smoke the same kind of Cigars as him and have your eye shot out with a revolver while being tortured in Russia.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited June 2008

You should have rickrolled him.

Couscous on
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I know that Snake smokes Big Boss brand cigarettes. That's it, though.

Gorilla Salad on
    edited June 2008

They named a brand of cigarettes after a terrorist in the MGSverse?

Couscous on
    edited June 2008
    titmouse wrote: »

You should have rickrolled him.

Or, you know, you could not be an asshole and answer a simple question. A course of action that doesn't seem quite up your alley.

selderane on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    titmouse wrote: »

They named a brand of cigarettes after a terrorist in the MGSverse?

They named a carton of cigarettes in the MGSverse after a terrorist in the MGSverse, yes.

Daedalus on
    edited June 2008
    You will never be as cool as Big Boss even if you smoke the same kind of Cigars as him and have your eye shot out with a revolver while being tortured in Russia.

Thanks for clearing that up. Hope I can get my frequent flyer miles back when I cancel my flight to Russia. I'm sure if I actually arrived it would have been awkward for everyone.

Social faux pas narrowly avoided with Solid Snake-like grace!

selderane on
    edited June 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsWEh0tSJ_4

at 1:52 you got a clear shot of it. When I first played the game I thought it was a

12901005.jpg

joya de nicaragua brand but it doesn't seem to be.

Camui on
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, it doesn't seem to be. The shape is more torpedo-like than in the picture you've provided. The label is different, however, that could be the actual label for the brand from the time so it's hard to tell.

selderane on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    selderane wrote: »

Thanks for clearing that up. Hope I can get my frequent flyer miles back when I cancel my flight to Russia. I'm sure if I actually arrived it would have been awkward for everyone.

You can be as cool as Ocelot though. Just meow loudly and wave your hands around while betraying everyone you know.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited June 2008
    Have you ever figured that maybe, just maybe, the brand of his cigar is fictional?

UnbreakableVow on
    edited June 2008

You can be as cool as Ocelot though. Just meow loudly and wave your hands around while betraying everyone you know.

A tantalizing option. I will be able to juggle pistols. That always impresses a crowd.

selderane on
    edited June 2008
    Have you ever figured that maybe, just maybe, the brand of his cigar is fictional?

That's possible but how can I know that if I don't ask, right? So, if someone comes back with good evidence that the cigar is fictional, I'll accept that. But, again, how would I know that if I never asked in the first place?

selderane on
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I wish I could juggle pistols.

Gorilla Salad on
    edited June 2008
    Well in most games they use reallife products but just remove the name. Ala thoses red cans of soda with a white stripe.

Camui on
    edited June 2008
    You mean those Narc cans? From what I read Pepsi and Coke were both approached but declined. But those cans were pretty prominent whereas the cigars are not. Still, I see no reason a real cigar brand wasn't used when Konami obtained permission to use so much other real life stuff.

selderane on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Isn't it Cnarc?

Speed Racer on
    edited June 2008
    You mean those Narc cans? From what I read Pepsi and Coke were both approached but declined. But those cans were pretty prominent whereas the cigars are not. Still, I see no reason a real cigar brand wasn't used when Konami obtained permission to use so much other real life stuff.

Because they probably don't want to come under fire for advocating smoking?

Yeah, Snake smokes cigarettes, but everyone and their mother bitches him out for it, so the opposing view is there too.

No one ever bitched at Big Boss for smoking.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

Because they probably don't want to come under fire for advocating smoking?

Yeah, Snake smokes cigarettes, but everyone and their mother bitches him out for it, so the opposing view is there too.

No one ever bitched at Big Boss for smoking.

That's because smoking was much more common and such back in the 1960s.

Speed Racer on
This discussion has been closed.