As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why did jpeg make a thread for his art again?

jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACEScenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
edited June 2008 in Artist's Corner
Because I need to have something to help me keep drawing sometimes, is why.

Hello, I never post. 'sup. I love crits because learning is awesome, so help me learn.

An oil painting of a friend of mine
000b083sss0ze6.jpg
30 second figure studies
figures2ssssxt2.jpg
figures1ssga9.jpg
Another oil painting of a friend of mine, a work in progress.
jimsssru2.jpg
A lame speedpaint I did a while back, but it's the most recent digital thing I've done so I make poast
I recorded the process if anyone cares http://youtube.com/watch?v=Lvh8thJHE-U
elephantmansssssxd3.jpg
Two things for my portfolio, showing three shapes before/after a 'transformation' in chalk + charcoal.
iiiiknowhowtotransform1cw7.jpg
iiiiknowhowtotransform2ng2.jpg

so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
jpeg on

• Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    jpeg wrote: »
    Hello, I never post. 'sup. I love crits because learning is awesome, so help me learn.

An oil painting of a friend of mine
    000b083sss0ze6.jpg

I'll just say your paintings are 10 times better than mine, but since you are after help, i think maybe you could define the hair bit more and it will look much more complete. You clearly have the skill to do it.

I also like the last two. I'm sure you were after more criticism, but i really like your art. Good stuff.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Thanks for the reply, winter_combat_knight. The hair gave me a lot of trouble on that one, but I already gave it to the person in the painting, so I'll have to carry over your advice to the one I am currently working on (which suffers from the same problem, sadly).

Here is one I forgot to add to the first post. I have been trying to get practice with watercolors, and have tried starting out on more monochromatic things like this, but I can't seem to work with the medium in a way that doesn't make me want to rip my own hands off.

This is watercolor and pastel on paper
    fishermanez0.jpg

jpeg on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Looks like you're on the right track to me. The water color looks pretty nice. Just practice practice practice!

Sublimus on
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Thanks for the reply, winter_combat_knight. The hair gave me a lot of trouble on that one, but I already gave it to the person in the painting, so I'll have to carry over your advice to the one I am currently working on (which suffers from the same problem, sadly).

Here is one I forgot to add to the first post. I have been trying to get practice with watercolors, and have tried starting out on more monochromatic things like this, but I can't seem to work with the medium in a way that doesn't make me want to rip my own hands off.

fishermanez0.jpg

I'm a fly fisher, so I had to point this out: The average fly rod is 9' in length... Yours appears to be around 1. It's nit picky, but I noticed it right away.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I believe it is angled away from the viewer, though the foreshortening isn't presented well. It's appears to be an area of frustration judging by the general splotchiness where the end should be tapering significantly.

Mustang on
  • Options
    jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Nothing scanned to post at the moment, but to clear that up, I actually made a little slip up when I was painting what should have been a much straighter line for the pole, so I just thought, "fuck it, I'll just make it gestural and curvy, then". And that's that. haha One of my least favorite things about watercolor is how easy it is to mess up and how hard it is to fix mistakes.

jpeg on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    One of the reasons I only do pencil and digital, I'm inherently lazy and my hands shake like a crack addict on detox, so I'm constantly fucking things up and having to correct them.

Mustang on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Comahawk wrote: »
    wooopah!

I'm a fly fisher, so I had to point this out: The average fly rod is 9' in length... Yours appears to be around 1. It's nit picky, but I noticed it right away.

Indiana Jones doesn't use a fishing rod... he uses a whip!

Prospicience on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think that the chalk + charcoal drawings are the strongest you have going right now. They've got some really great values and forms.

I like the fisherman to.

DeeLock on