As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dial-Up Image Optimization/Proxy Compression Server?

MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
I know NetZero provided something like this to make page loads much faster for dial-up users, but I was wondering if there was some kind of solution for people on slow speeds who didn't have that kind of service available from their ISP.

Basically something that will:
-Have some sort of host machine grab the images first and process them/some other algorithm for grabbing portions of an image instead of the whole thing
-Compress all images (as well as grab the first frame of animated GIFs/radically shrink huge resolution pictures)
-Allow manual full-view of the each image
-Work with Firefox

These are loose restrictions, of course, any kind of methods to speed up dial-up browsing with any kind of browser are more than welcome. The images are the biggest problem for the person I'm helping, if there's some way to handle them without completely disabling them (thus offering a preview/not hampering usage too much) then they'd be much obliged.

e3ORbfq.png
Mugenmidget on

• Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    http://www.mattbentley.net/2008pt1.shtml#190608

An extension to block images, I haven't tested it but from the description it sounds like it puts in a flashblock-style placeholder that the user can click on for the full image.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    That's pretty neat, unfortunately it doesn't offer any real kind of preview that I could see. Just seems to add some better image controls. Thanks for the help, though.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Try Onspeed. You have to pay for it, but I used it when I was on dial-up and it definitely made a difference.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Something like OnSpeed is definitely what I'm gunning for, but I want it to be something that I can host for my friend.

http://resume.technoplaza.net/c/zrpc.php

Something like that would be perfect and sounds exactly what I'm looking for, but it looks like it might be too outdated so I'm hoping that somebody has heard of a better proxy server like that one.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    LindenLinden Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You could apply a system similar to Upside-Down-Ternet, I suppose. Make your filter a downgrade of image quality. I'm not sure how you'd deal with viewing the original content, but I'd imagine it's doable. Not a plug-and-play solution, but it might work. Squid is actively developed, too.

Linden on
  • Options
    metamorphosismetamorphosis __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Janin wrote: »
    http://www.mattbentley.net/2008pt1.shtml#190608

An extension to block images, I haven't tested it but from the description it sounds like it puts in a flashblock-style placeholder that the user can click on for the full image.

Hi Janin, I'm the one who patched that one for firefox 3, though I'm not the original author (search imglikeopera for that).
    Imglikeopera allows you to switch between displaying only cached images, no images, only images from the site, and all images with a single button. Nifty.
    Because of the traffic I've been getting I've updated the installation instructions to make them a bit more foolproof for the unsuspecting user.
    I also recommend Flashblock (as mentioned), Adblock Plus and resizing your firefox cache to allow more cached images. Firefox 3 freakin' rocks, quite happy with it so far...
    Cheers,
    m@ (n00b)

metamorphosis on
    See, hear and download my art:
    click