As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Metal Gear Raiden? See Page 85 (Previously the MGS4 Thread)

• Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There are still questions but they're mostly about relatively insignificant plot holes that were basically a product of the fact that the overall story basically was written as the games were developed and that took 21 years.

You have two games from the late 80s and early 90s where the plot wasn't that important. There was a bit more emphasis on the story in MG2, but those games and their stories were really made to stand alone. Those games and their plots weren't developed with the idea of 5 more games continuing the story.

Hell, Kojima didn't even originally plan on making an MGS2, after MGS. But we all know how that story goes.

I wrote something like this in the SE thread last night, but I just try to look at each game individually. Each has its own set of themes and points that it tries to drive across. Trying to figure out the details and motives surrounding every character based on their past and whatnot is just going to lead to contradictions and retcons.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Its kinda sad noone is really discussing the story. I guess though its because noone really has any questions anymore, it does answer all the loose threads, which si good, but no questions to be asked, which is bad.

Here's another question:
    If Eva and co. were able to rebuild BB's body using parts from Liquid and Solidus why not go the extra extra mile and restore the guy's right eye. Freaking cyclops fetishists.

Vray on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Its kinda sad noone is really discussing the story. I guess though its because noone really has any questions anymore, it does answer all the loose threads, which si good, but no questions to be asked, which is bad.
    Here's one (big endgame spoilers)
    If FoxDie kills Big Boss and Solidus is a perfect clone then why didn't the latter die on top of Arsenal Gear. I know it was mutating, but that fast?
    Drebin injected the new Foxdie that killed EVA, Ocelot and Big Boss into Snake during Act I of MGS4.

Edit: Beaten

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If FoxDie kills Big Boss and Solidus is a perfect clone then why didn't the latter die on top of Arsenal Gear. I know it was mutating, but that fast?
    I don't really understand what you're asking. Why didn't the Foxdie in Snake kill Solidus? The Foxdie for assassinating Big Boss wasn't injected until MGS4. Thats what is supressing that old mutating Foxdie in Solid which is going to allow him to live out the rest of his life free as he will likely die before that strain mutates.

If anything, I'm curious how a nanite virus can mutate and look like an organic cell.

So, do they tell you what happened to Raiden and Rose's baby?

Yes.

No questions? Sorry but they left a couple of big ones open
    how did Liquid find out he was a clone in the first place? If they were keeping Solid in the dark I'm pretty sure they kept Liquid in the dark too. And They tell you nothing about solidus other than he was a perfect clone. No reason why he was created, none of his back story or anything other than using his body parts and his body as a distraction in Europe.

So there is still a lot of things that could be covered in an MGS5

Or I'm looking for too much information.

Artoria on
  • Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    ShimSham wrote: »
    Drebin injected the new Foxdie that killed EVA, Ocelot and Big Boss into Snake during Act I of MGS4.

I remember the new virus. I just don't recall it ever being referred to as another "FoxDie." As far as I knew, FoxDie was FoxDie and the new virus was just "that new virus." But it didn't help that I was pretty sleep-deprived when I beat it.

Oh, one more question. Act 3 spoilers.
    EVA says "human life can't grow in a test tube," but that she only gave birth to two clones. Where did Solidus come from? Was he even part of Les Enfants Teribles or another experiment entirely?

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, i'm curious about the beauty and beasts.. not sure if this is spoilery or not but i'll tag it up anyway:
    On this second play through on encountering Laughing Beauty I stun gunned her to her second form and then ran around until it did the white screen thing took out the camera and then started popping off photos. At the end of the timer she did the dying sound...

This is the photo bit

My playthrough is a no kills no alerts run, does this count as a kill? I don't want it screwing up my no kills run.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I agree that MGS3 is better overall.

For the first 2 acts it seemed like MGS4 would be much better than MGS3, because the gameplay during those acts was very similar to MGS3, but more refined. But then the game takes a weird turn. It seems to abandon the whole "helping rebels fight the PMCs" concept entirely and rely on weird gimmicky things like the bike segment or fighting gekko.

If the whole game took place in the Middle East or South America, I would definitely consider it better than MGS3.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008

I remember the new virus. I just don't recall it ever being referred to as another "FoxDie." As far as I knew, FoxDie was FoxDie and the new virus was just "that new virus." But it didn't help that I was pretty sleep-deprived when I beat it.

EVA says "human life can't grow in a test tube," but that she only gave birth to two clones. Where did Solidus come from? Was he even part of Les Enfants Teribles or another experiment entirely?

Foxdie is programmable. The one in Snake was programmed for Foxhound and Snake himself, the new one was programmed for Ocelot, Eva and Big Boss (why Big Boss? I don't know, hes meant to be in a coma short of catastrophic failure of the system. Of course it could be simply that they assumed BB would approach Solid in the event of his revival and the Foxdie was to try and stop him revealing information or just to ensure that if he did escape and encounters Snake ever again, he is killed also, since if hes released, the patriots must be dead and they will want him gone with them rather than letting him run loose undoing the patriots work. Zeros patriots anyway.

Solidus...I'm not sure here. Its easy to say Solidus was just taken away. Liquid didn't seem to know about Solidus during Shadow Moses so its possible Solidus, being the perfect clone, was removed at birth with Eva thinking she was only giving birth to twins. That doesn't explain however why she knew he existed later on to use him for spare parts and yet didn't refer to him as hers.

I think its that Solid and Liquid were the results of her pregnancy, killing off the other embryos to create two Big Boss clones with some slighty alterations but as their experiment for creating the ultimate soldier. Solidus came after them in a separate experiment to ensure that the Patriots would have a Big Boss to act as their icon should BB himself be killed or turn on them and be beyond their control at the same time.

In fact I think they state thats why they made him.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Ending
    Yeah, several times I believe they referred to it as a new strain of Foxdie. And then Big Boss revealed at the end that the new Foxdie has supplanted the old Foxdie from MGS1 that had mutated, but warned Snake that the new Foxdie could mutate as well if Snake lived that long.

And we know that Solidus was definitely born after Solid and Liquid, this is noted a few times in MGS2 and MGS4. I assume that she also gave birth to him. But he wasn't born at the same time as Solid and Liquid, so I guess they didn't think EVA should mention birthing Solidus, since she was really just telling Snake about his birth, which Solidus wasn't involved in.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    So, i'm curious about the beauty and beasts.. not sure if this is spoilery or not but i'll tag it up anyway:
    On this second play through on encountering Laughing Beauty I stun gunned her to her second form and then ran around until it did the white screen thing took out the camera and then started popping off photos. At the end of the timer she did the dying sound...

This is the photo bit

My playthrough is a no kills no alerts run, does this count as a kill? I don't want it screwing up my no kills run.
    That counts as a kill. Sorry.

Igort on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Foxdie is programmable. The one in Snake was programmed for Foxhound and Snake himself, the new one was programmed for Ocelot, Eva and Big Boss (why Big Boss? I don't know, hes meant to be in a coma short of catastrophic failure of the system. Of course it could be simply that they assumed BB would approach Solid in the event of his revival and the Foxdie was to try and stop him revealing information or just to ensure that if he did escape and encounters Snake ever again, he is killed also, since if hes released, the patriots must be dead and they will want him gone with them rather than letting him run loose undoing the patriots work. Zeros patriots anyway.

Solidus...I'm not sure here. Its easy to say Solidus was just taken away. Liquid didn't seem to know about Solidus during Shadow Moses so its possible Solidus, being the perfect clone, was removed at birth with Eva thinking she was only giving birth to twins. That doesn't explain however why she knew he existed later on to use him for spare parts and yet didn't refer to him as hers.

I think its that Solid and Liquid were the results of her pregnancy, killing off the other embryos to create two Big Boss clones with some slighty alterations but as their experiment for creating the ultimate soldier. Solidus came after them in a separate experiment to ensure that the Patriots would have a Big Boss to act as their icon should BB himself be killed or turn on them and be beyond their control at the same time.

Yeah, Solidus was their puppet until the Big Shell incident, which was caused by him discovering he was a clone of Big Boss... somehow. He was even the president!

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Igort wrote: »

This is the photo bit

Damnit, good thing I decided to take a break after that fight. I'll just reload my save and redo it.
    How can using a camera count as a kill... boggles the mind.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Has anyone had a chance to really look over the MGS4 Database yet? I can't because I live in England, and when I downloaded it from the American PlayStation Store I was unable to "unlock" the MGS4 spoilers.

Is there anyone out there who'd be willing to jot down all the new info that's revealed in it so that I can check it over? People keep having debates about it over at the MetalGearWiki and I can't help but feel like I'm out of the loop, all 'cause SCEE won't get off their ass and add it to the PlayStation Store.

I know it sounds like a daunting task, but I'd really appreciate it...

This is the photo bit

Damnit, good thing I decided to take a break after that fight. I'll just reload my save and redo it.

Yeah, I was pretty pissed when my Kill Count said "1" as opposed to "0".

Igort on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    One more very, very pressing question... Is there anyplace online to find those Metal Gear posters from Act 3. Seriously.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Has anyone had a chance to really look over the MGS4 Database yet? I can't because I live in England, and when I downloaded it from the American PlayStation Store I was unable to "unlock" the MGS4 spoilers.

Is there anyone out there who'd be willing to jot down all the new info that's revealed in it so that I can check it over? People keep having debates about it over at the MetalGearWiki and I can't help but feel like I'm out of the loop, all 'cause SCEE won't get off their ass and add it to the PlayStation Store.

*snip*

Did you replay the entire thing from that bit to get it back to 0?

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    edited June 2008

This is the photo bit

They can't live for long outside their suits so dallying about with the camera will ultimately kill them.

I'm not sure if its significant but Laughing Beauty seemed to be breathing when I left her after stun killing both forms. Its a shame they couldn't all show up at the end to help me battle a relentless onslaught of Frog Soldiers. In fact that would have been awesome. Go to a room similar to the one at the end of Arsenal and you basically cannot win, you do in fact lose all your health and die but as you hit the floor a cutscene kicks in and a tentacle prevents you falling completely, another bringing you the synringe that fell out of your hand.

The Frogs back up as Raiden comes in and does his thing and the other beauties appear, not in full gear mind you. Octopus has her tentacles, Wolf has a Railgun, Mantis has knifes rotating around her and Raven has a rocket launcher and they start whooping ass as Snake grunts on to the exit and the microwave hallway.

Only if you stun kill them obviously but considering you gave them peace, itd be nice to show that they actually got it and realised you saved them.

Of course thats only if they can live outside their suits. Theres no reason given they can't so its plausible its just an excuse to keep them in their suits and not trying to not be Liquid's elites.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    One more very, very pressing question... Is there anyplace online to find those Metal Gear posters from Act 3. Seriously.
    Actually yeah, I've seen them online before. Don't have them saved or hosted anywhere, but they're out there I believe.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008

*snip*

Naa, I'm a bit of an idiot when it comes to tactical saving, so I just kept going. Managed to get a No Alert run so it wasn't a total waste.
    Actually yeah, I've seen them online before. Don't have them saved or hosted anywhere, but they're out there I believe.

What posters are these? I feel I may have missed something...

Igort on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

*snip*

Naa, I'm a bit of an idiot when it comes to tactical saving, so I just kept going. Managed to get a No Alert run so it wasn't a total waste.

When you go in the church in Act 3, you have the opportunity to go in first-person view for the express purpose of seeing these fucking awesome paintings based on the other Metal Gear games. There are two for Snake Eater, one for MGS1 and one for MGS2. I'm pretty sure the cutscene with EVA even zooms in on one of them at some point.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Igort wrote:

When you go in the church in Act 3, you have the opportunity to go in first-person view for the express purpose of seeing these fucking awesome paintings based on the other Metal Gear games. There are two for Snake Eater, one for MGS1 and one for MGS2. I'm pretty sure the cutscene with EVA even zooms in on one of them at some point.

Oh, those posters. You should be able to find those quite easily. I think they're all from the same person, who did them all for various special editions of each of the games.

I'll take a look around for you if you want 'em.

EDIT: I lied, I can't find 'em. I'll have another look tomorrow.

Igort on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Behemoth wrote: »

Yeah, Solidus was their puppet until the Big Shell incident, which was caused by him discovering he was a clone of Big Boss... somehow. He was even the president!
    I think
    Solidus was made before solid and liquid. I mean he was older and had a huge connection with the patriots.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited June 2008

I think
    Solidus was made before solid and liquid. I mean he was older and had a huge connection with the patriots.

Les Enfants was the first project.
    I'm fairly sure every source states Solidus was the youngest. I think the current theories stated in the games (Possibly facts retconned by each other) are that he had cosmetic surgery to make himself look more like BB, his idol, or hes aging at a marginally advanced rate from teh cloning process but not to the extent that Solid is.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

I think

Les Enfants was the first project.
    I'm fairly sure every source states Solidus was the youngest. I think the current theories stated in the games (Possibly facts retconned by each other) are that he had cosmetic surgery to make himself look more like BB, his idol, or hes aging at a marginally advanced rate from teh cloning process but not to the extent that Solid is.
    Well could be..
    They really don't say much about Solidus in anything so who knows.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Hmm, problem with my no kill run. After finishing the act I was on.
    The bit where you get Naomi after the fight with Laughing Beauty. You have a bit where you're gunning the machine gun and there are the zombie dudes and the guys in armoured suits.
    I tried using both the stun gun and stun rifle on them to no effect, so I shot some down thinking they can't count towards kills.
    I just discovered they counted towards kills, so at the end I had 6 kills.. now, i'm going to rerun it tomorrow.. anyone got any tips? Does normal punching etc do the trick and not count as kills?

Also the guys in the armoured suits, what should I try using next? I've got stun grenades plus that grenade launcher thing from raging raven I think it was on the previous run which can load stun grenades of a sort.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    You should just be able to CQC and knock them out I think.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    FynathFynath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Loading one of the shotguns with V Ring ammo will also do the trick since it has a pretty hefty knockback. I think it's possible to even knock out the powered suits, as well, but I can't remember exactly.

Fynath on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    During my Kill Everything run I've basically had Calling to the Night (and occasionally the Snake Eater theme on my computer) on repeat on the game's iPod.

I love that song(s) so damn much, and it makes the rambo runs so fulfilling.

For those that never heard it in Portable Ops, and haven't turned it on in MGS4 then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXkgn3QUA2w

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Celine Dion?

august on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    august wrote: »
    Celine Dion?
    Natasha Farrow

But she does sound a little like Dion.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Minor MGS2/MGS4 question about Sunny:
    So does anyone else think Sunny's "specialness" is due, in part, to Snake having loaded her mom up with about 15 pints of tranquilizer juice on the tanker in MGS2 when she was preggers with the little champ? Just saying...

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    During my Kill Everything run I've basically had Calling to the Night (and occasionally the Snake Eater theme on my computer) on repeat on the game's iPod.

For those that never heard it in Portable Ops, and haven't turned it on in MGS4 then

Aww man.. Seeing that just reminds me..
    Poor Jonathan..

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So does anyone else think Sunny's "specialness" is due, in part, to Snake having loaded her mom up with about 15 pints of tranquilizer juice on the tanker in MGS2 when she was preggers with the little champ? Just saying...
    I prefer to attribute it to the fact that of all people she's being raised by Otacon.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I prefer to attribute it to the fact that of all people she's being raised by Otacon.
    Or the fact that they straight up say she was raised by a bunch of AI programs on the internets.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    NiqleNiqle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hmm, problem with my no kill run. After finishing the act I was on.
    The bit where you get Naomi after the fight with Laughing Beauty. You have a bit where you're gunning the machine gun and there are the zombie dudes and the guys in armoured suits.
    I tried using both the stun gun and stun rifle on them to no effect, so I shot some down thinking they can't count towards kills.
    I just discovered they counted towards kills, so at the end I had 6 kills.. now, i'm going to rerun it tomorrow.. anyone got any tips? Does normal punching etc do the trick and not count as kills?

Also the guys in the armoured suits, what should I try using next? I've got stun grenades plus that grenade launcher thing from raging raven I think it was on the previous run which can load stun grenades of a sort.

Just don't shoot them at all, you eventually drive past them.

Niqle on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Or the fact that they straight up say she was raised by a bunch of AI programs on the internets.
    Yeah but I tend to block out story bits that are retarded like that. I mean really, Otacon's line was "she was raised in the 'Net." What the fuck is this, ReBoot?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Hell yes, this song is so awesome. It's the only song I have play on the Shadow Moses stage in Brawl.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah but I tend to block out story bits that are retarded like that. I mean really, Otacon's line was "she was raised in the 'Net." What the fuck is this, ReBoot?
    Alphanumeric!

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Is that why she counts when she cooks?

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Alphanumeric!
    Otacon is a former Otaku, of course he's gonna say it like that.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I mean really, how does Otacon manage without fail to make me hate him more in each new game that he's in, just when I thought I hated him as much as I could possibly hate a fictional character?

Speed Racer on