As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Green Tortoise Hostel: Party PARTY ON! $230 raised!!

• AndwarfAndwarf Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I just booked a room for myself and five other fellow Canadians.

Hopefully the hostel will be full of PAX. :)

Andwarf on
    Most inanimate objects find me at least mildly agreeable!
  • steffuhhkneesteffuhhknee Registered User new member
    edited June 2008
    Just wondering....these massive parties people are talking about, are they taking place in the sleeping quarters? or is there other rooms in the GT to cause chaos in?

There is a main lobby area at the Green Tortoise where most of the partying goes down. The lobby is big and there are couches and chairs and a TV and its super fun cause you get to meet the other people staying in the hostel. In fact, I don't think they even allow food/drink/alcohol in the rooms...however, that really didn't stop us. I can't explain how much fun I had at this place last year, I really wish I could go again.

steffuhhknee on
  • Queen BrewerQueen Brewer Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm thinking about booking a room for Friday and Saturday nights because though I live in Seattle, I don't want to deal with a car or anything else at 3am. Question though, what are the laws/policies at the hostel about people under 18. I didn't see anything about it on the website, so is it the kind of thing where it's an unenforced rule, or what?

This would be a lot more fun than commuting.

Queen Brewer on
    <Moe_Fwacky> once i had next door neighbors
    <Moe_Fwacky> nice girls
    <Moe_Fwacky> lesbians
    <Moe_Fwacky> robbed drugstores together
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm thinking about booking a room for Friday and Saturday nights because though I live in Seattle, I don't want to deal with a car or anything else at 3am. Question though, what are the laws/policies at the hostel about people under 18. I didn't see anything about it on the website, so is it the kind of thing where it's an unenforced rule, or what?

This would be a lot more fun than commuting.

Do you have a credit or debit card? I can't see it being an issue if you do. If you have your parent or guardian call and make the reservation. I would call to make sure regardless, though.

That_Guy on
    edited June 2008
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Do you have a credit or debit card? I can't see it being an issue if you do. If you have your parent or guardian call and make the reservation. I would call to make sure regardless, though.
    I have a debit card and would pay for it myself, so I guess it would be fine. I'm inclined to not bring it up, but it would suck terribly to arrive at 3am Saturday morning and find out they won't let me in...

Queen Brewer on
    <Moe_Fwacky> nice girls
    <Moe_Fwacky> lesbians
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have a debit card and would pay for it myself, so I guess it would be fine. I'm inclined to not bring it up, but it would suck terribly to arrive at 3am Saturday morning and find out they won't let me in...

Look them up in a phonebook and call to be sure?

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2008
    TNTrooper wrote: »

Look them up in a phonebook and call to be sure?

To reserve a room, call 206.340.1222

I put the number in my OP.

That_Guy on
    edited June 2008
    I'll give them a call tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for the help, this should be great!

Queen Brewer on
    <Moe_Fwacky> nice girls
    <Moe_Fwacky> lesbians
  • hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Booked my room for myself + 1 other! See you at the hostel!!

EDIT: Is anyone bringing a n64 and goldeneye + mario kart again this year?

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • super...super... __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    you know this will be my first time partying? of course my allergy to alcohol has steered me away from partying

super... on
  • nephthysnephthys Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Count me in on the GT partying. First time PAXer, I can't wait.
    Is anyone bringing a n64 and goldeneye + mario kart again this year?

Oooo, I hope someone does!

EDIT: Made my reservation for Thurs - Sun =D

nephthys on
    edited June 2008
    What is parking like at GT? Do they have free parking or should I consider taking the train down? Last year I spent as much parking as I did for the PAX tickets.

That_Guy on
  • phamtqphamtq Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What is parking like at GT? Do they have free parking or should I consider taking the train down? Last year I spent as much parking as I did for the PAX tickets.

When I stayed there last year they had a deal with the parking garage where you could park for ~$25 but you couldn't move your car and come back unless you wanted to be charged more.

phamtq on
    edited June 2008
    Here's some pictures from PAX07 @ the Green Tortoise
    A bunch of us PAXers drinking in the common area:
    n122506575_31869277_6231.jpg
    Here we are again after being denied entrance to the sealab party.
    n122506575_31869289_605.jpg
    ... so we held an afterparty in my room.
    n122506575_31869290_990.jpg
    n122506575_31869291_1357.jpg
    We pooled our budgets and bought important things:
    n122506575_31869310_898.jpg
    Goldeneye on their ancient bigscreen:
    n122506575_31869285_9160.jpg
    Drinking at 9am:
    n122506575_31869284_8808.jpg
    The hostel hosted a free zombie-themed keg party. If you didn't drink beer they had a giant punch bowl filled with gin.n122506575_31869301_5299.jpg

It was a good time.

hamburger helper on
  • Andrew RyanAndrew Ryan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hey, that's my ugly orange/brown hawaiian shirt turning you away at the door.

Andrew Ryan on
    Mbt2W.gifbLHcF.gifMbt2W.gifbLHcF.gif
    naknaknaknaknak
    edited June 2008
    Hey, that's my ugly orange/brown hawaiian shirt turning you away at the door.

:(

hamburger helper on
  • Andrew RyanAndrew Ryan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I, oddly enough, was also staying at the Green Tortoise.

Andrew Ryan on
    Mbt2W.gifbLHcF.gifMbt2W.gifbLHcF.gif
    naknaknaknaknak
    edited June 2008
    So "hamburger helper" and I were talking about having a Party Friday night at GT. I understand there was a great party last year, so we might be able to get something together this year. I am planning on bringing my Wii with me. I can pick up some booze for the 21+ crowd as well.

Does anyone have Rock Band or Guitar Hero that they might be able to bring with them?

That_Guy on
  • emorimikuemorimiku Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Does anyone have Rock Band or Guitar Hero that they might be able to bring with them?

I think that someone in my group can probably be convinced to bring Rock band probably

emorimiku on
    <emorimiku> j0z1e ... physically emotionally or mentally?
    <j0z1e> ummmm, all three? at once?
  • capnjackcapnjack Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Are people not staying at GT allowed to stop by to party?

capnjack on
    Q: "You are in the garden. You see a rose bush. You have a fishing rod. Exits are North, South and IN."
    A: "What do you want from me?!?!?"
    edited June 2008
    capnjack wrote: »
    Are people not staying at GT allowed to stop by to party?

I don't see why not!

hamburger helper on
    edited June 2008
    emorimiku wrote: »

I think that someone in my group can probably be convinced to bring Rock band probably

If it is not too much trouble, that would be awesome. What system do they have it for? I, myself, just have a Wii.

That_Guy on
    edited June 2008
    out of the 14 people heners tells me are going to pax I think maybe 1 of us has a PS3. and I think there are like 4-5 copies of rock band between us so most likely if we bring it it will be the 360 version. If anyone wants to bring their 360 for DLC stuff though I wouldn't say no to that.

emorimiku on
    edited June 2008
    emorimiku wrote: »

I have GH 1, 2 & 3, as well as 2 controllers that I can bring, if someone wants to bring a PS2 along with them.

nephthys on
  • SkunkPunchSkunkPunch Registered User new member
    edited June 2008
    I just got reservations taken care of for myself and 3 others at the GT.

We are thinking of bringing some SSBB and Mario cart Wii if anyone is interested.

SkunkPunch on
  • elilasolelilasol Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    In response to the Rock Band Request. I will be coming up and staying all weekend, I have most of the DLC(Missing about 10-12 songs but can easily buy them for this trip, trust me you're not missing much if i dont.) and can bring my xbox as well. But i'm coming by train, so no drums or guitars, far too much space to take up. So if you guys can bring drums and guitars, i can manage the 360, the game, and the mic's.

Also, i only have the standard hookup for xbox, rca/component, so if a tv only has coax, we'll need a converter of some sort. And if you're bringing something LDC/Plasma, remember that the lag time that it causes on rock band will make the experience a bit less fun as you will be missing notes you normally wouldnt.

Also! I saw the request for a ps2, I can add mine onto the pile of stuff I will be bringing to the party. I've been wanting to play Gh1 for ages but only had the games for the 360 and never had the will to buy another controller/game for ps2.

elilasol on
    edited June 2008
    elilasol wrote: »
    Also, i only have the standard hookup for xbox, rca/component, so if a tv only has coax, we'll need a converter of some sort. And if you're bringing something LDC/Plasma, remember that the lag time that it causes on rock band will make the experience a bit less fun as you will be missing notes you normally wouldnt.

I have an RCA-Coax converter I'll be bringing.

hamburger helper on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    as of 3 months ago, there were no great parking options available. there was a lot a block away, but i wouldn't leave my car there afterdark.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    edited June 2008
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    as of 3 months ago, there were no great parking options available. there was a lot a block away, but i wouldn't leave my car there afterdark.

There's a patrolled carpark about 2 or 3 blocks away if I remember correctly.

hamburger helper on
  • Omega PsylockeOmega Psylocke Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm very interested that's actually the main reason why I registered for this forum...to see if anyone else was going to stay @ Green Tortoise... So I'm interested +1

Omega Psylocke on
    edited June 2008
    nephthys wrote: »

Damn Goldeneye!!! I have it emulated on my laptop, I would just need wireless 360 controllers & more usb wireless adapters for the controller

Omega Psylocke on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

Damn Goldeneye!!! I have it emulated on my laptop, I would just need wireless 360 controllers & more usb wireless adapters for the controller
    how bout this, i'll bring the legal version with my n64 and controllers. ;)

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    edited June 2008
    I have an N64 and I might be able to find my copy of Goldeneye. I don't have Mario Kart, though.

EDIT: Found my copies of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. Also, Mario Party!

That_Guy on
    edited June 2008
    dyaballikl wrote: »

how bout this, i'll bring the legal version with my n64 and controllers. ;)

That's cool, I just wanna play :)

I'm thinking about bringing my dreamcast...who would be down for chu chu rockets, powerstone 1&2, & marvel vs. capcom?!

Omega Psylocke on
    edited June 2008
    omega, I'm not sure there are proper words for the feelings of awesome I'm feeling for you right now...

emorimiku on
  • EkkosangenEkkosangen Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Just looking around at hotels since a bleak portion of our trip planning has passed (Our group didn't have a ride, Qs23 stepped in and saved the day!), and this looks like an awesome option. I'll sign up 3 of us for either 28th to the 31st, or the 1st. (Thursday to Sunday or Monday). I'll be making the call over to them soon to see if they still have any room.

As a precaution, since I've never been to a hostel before...

1. What should I know about this place?
    2. What should I bring that I might not think of? (besides spray-bottle of water, small fan, etc.)
    3. Will there be a freezer? (public won't bother me)
    4. As a part of the PAX grouping, we're getting the 8-bunk rooms for $31 per person, correct?

Since people seem to be bringing some consoles, I believe I can scrounge up my old PSOne and GTA, and bring some more N64 games (Super Smash Bros, DK64, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart 64, and more!)

Ekkosangen on
    eG6Oz.jpg
    <+Arco> You can totally bone with a baby in there. If you bump up against something, just apologize to the little dude and adjust.
    edited June 2008
    Ekkosangen wrote: »
    1. What should I know about this place?
    2. What should I bring that I might not think of? (besides spray-bottle of water, small fan, etc.)
    3. Will there be a freezer? (public won't bother me)
    4. As a part of the PAX grouping, we're getting the 8-bunk rooms for $31 per person, correct?

1. It's in the heart of Seattle across the street from Pike Place. You get free breakfast everyday, but you have to cook it yourself in their kitchen. Free dinner once or twice a week. Friendly staff. Drinking is not allowed in the rooms (even though it's done anyways), but drinking is allowed in the common area. They have ancient macs you can use to surf the net and a big screen tv thats from the 80s.

2. Bring an extra pillow and a combination lock. Fan also a very good idea.

3. Yeah and it's public.

4. Don't really know how they're sorting us out other than the desk person saying they'll try to keep us all together.
    Mario kart 64

Fixed :P

hamburger helper on
  • EkkosangenEkkosangen Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Mario kart 64

Fixed :P

Fixed. Cut me some slack though, it was 5AM. :lol:

Ekkosangen on
    eG6Oz.jpg
    <+Arco> You can totally bone with a baby in there. If you bump up against something, just apologize to the little dude and adjust.
    edited July 2008
    Also! I saw the request for a ps2, I can add mine onto the pile of stuff I will be bringing to the party. I've been wanting to play Gh1 for ages but only had the games for the 360 and never had the will to buy another controller/game for ps2.

Awesome, I'll bring all the GH stuff then!

nephthys on
    edited July 2008

Awesome, I'll bring all the GH stuff then!

don't expect to be crazy loud without anyone saying anything, though.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
This discussion has been closed.