As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[IC] Mutants and Masterminds - Claremont Academy - Chapter 1: Orientation

123457»

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Grace tries to keep from glaring at Kent. What a nerd. How could he be excited about this?

"I don't even know regular physics," she mumbles, then perks up slightly. "Oh, PE, cool."

Quoth on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Whoop ant pipes up: "Wait a second. What doesPractical Physical Education mean?"

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Kent grins and answers: "I think it means we use our powers against stuff that'll really challenge us as metahumans." says Kent, with an anticipatory smile. "In my old school, the only effort I ever had to put into Gym class was having to make sure I didn't hurt anyone- I'm sure they'll have something tough for us to go up against."

El Skid on
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    James has spent this past week in his own personal solitary, dividing his time between tweaking his suit, searching the library for any information about that symbol he found, and researching possible new additions he could make to the suit. He never refused the company of others, but he also never really acknowledged that they were there.

When the schedules were passed out James took his, gave it a short glance then looked up at Professor Archer "Has there been any word on Kid Alchemist? Anything?"

Lardalish on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Professor Archer looks grim. "Navigatrix is maintaining a constant city-wide scan looking for his power signature, but nothing has come up yet. But, remember, no news is good news. The scene has by large been excavated and there hasn't been any sign of him other than his arm. Next Gen has been going out very nearly every night this week searching the surrounding area and hitting up contacts, but nothing has come up yet."

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    "Yeah.... yeah..." James turns back to his table, just kind of staring at the lunch tray. He folds the schedule and puts it in his pocket. He sits there for a couple minutes more then tosses his unfinished lunch in the trash and wanders off to the library.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Domink looks quizzically at his schedule. "So what exactly is the difference between Super Humans and Meta-Humans? Are the Super Humans just the paragon of human potential, while the Meta-Humans are the next step in evolution, or are they just terms that are interchangeable?"

Looking at Kent's reaction he nods enthusiastically, "Oh yea! 4th Dimensional Physics will REALLY help me get a firm understanding of my wormhole. Practical Physical Education sounds like it's really going to test our abilites. I for one can't wait till we get to class!"

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Things hadn't really sunk in until after their debriefing, but the twins had had each other to help get through the tough time. After a week, Jo would only dimly realize that blowing up most of the building probably wasn't a great idea. Chastity had been a bit more withdrawn, but she perked up at the list of classes.

"Wowie...they never taught stuff like this in public school." "I thought there were only two dimensions?" Chastity scowled at her sister. "Three, blockhead." "Hey, this Skyler feller got it wrong too. Don't yell at me!"

They quieted down a bit as the conversation got more serious. And they both seemed to have conflicted reactions to the thought of PE. No amount of good country living was going to prepare them to keep up with what they'd seen Kent and Grace do.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    It late at night, a few days after the warehouse. Kent was in his bed, tossing and turning.

"Have to...save him" he muttered, fretfully.

In his mind, he saw Kid Alchemist clapping the walls, buying them the time they needed to get everybody out. Everybody else.

Quickest on the uptake, he again grabbed the nearest people and walked them through the portal, knowing what was going to happen. Turning again, he saw the flood of people coming back through the portal, not allowing him to go back in after Kid alchemist.

I could survive that collapse...keep him alive, shoulder the weight of the building and keep it from crushing him. But he couldn't get back through, as a seemingly endless stream of people coming through the portal blocked his way.

CLAP! CLAP!

He's going to die, and I can't stop it. It's my fault!

And then the awful, crushing sound of the building collapsing just on the other side of the portal, and again the sense of sadness, of powerlessness, as the older student is crushed.

"NOOOOOOO!"

Waking in his room, his body coated with sweat and sitting straight up in bed, Kent realizes he's had the dream again. It had come often, since the warehouse.

Kent had already had his first lesson, even before the school year even started- This wasn't a comic book, and sometimes good people got hurt. He just wished he hadn't had to learn it like this. Or so well.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    History of Meta Humans
    The bell rings and Mr. Hoppee sweeps into the room. He appears to be in his mid-thirties, with almost all of his
    black hair gone from his bald head, save for the patch extending around the back of his head. He wears slacks and
    a blue polo shirt with the Claremont Academy shield embroidered on the front.

"Good morning class," he says with a slight southern twang. His voice doesn't seem to change tone much as he takes the role call. It has a way of making you feel sleepy.

"In this class, and the classes that follow it throughout your time here, we will be investigating the history
    of the world as it relates to Meta-Humans. This first class will deal primarily with Freedom City itself, which
    has been at the forefront of meta-human affairs since it was founded."

Mr. Hoppee launches into a lecture about the founding of Freedom City in the 1600s, and the witch hunts in the area conducted by a Reverend named Elijah Prophet, a famous monster hunter who accused Meta-Humans of all sorts of being witches, demons and all manner of dark creatures, a particularly famous example being a shapeshifter thought to be a lycanthrope.

Check
    DC 10 Concentration Check to hold your attention on Mr. Hoppee lecture. Failure means you spend the period doodling, staring off into space, or outright snoring like Whoop-Ant. You will take a -2 Penalty on the homework since you have to look everything up. If you get 15 or above on this check, you get a +2 circumstance bonus on the homework since you hung on every word.

HomeworkA 1-page assignment on the witch hunts in Freedom City in the 1600s. Grade: Knowledge (History) Result +/- Bonuses or Penalties - 10 = Grade out of 10

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Oh my god...this guy is boring!

Although the subject interests Kent, something about Mr. Hoppee's voice, or maybe his teaching style... Kent can't quite hold his attention on the professor, and begins to daydream. His thoughts stray from wondering about his classmates' powers, what Gym and physics will be like...And then the bell rings to end the period.

I guess I have some extra reading to do tonight

Working extra hard on the assignment to make up for his lapse, he's pleased with the result.
    Concentration check: d20+1 = 9 (close but no cigar!)
    Homework check (knowledge, Social Sciences): d20+7-2 = 21 => 11/10 mark

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    For some reason, Grace finds the lecture intensely interesting. Maybe because she just went through something like those poor "witches"...

It's like in the competition, when I was tested and they found out I was a meta. I got kicked out of everything just for being different. It wasn't fair.

Unfortunately, when she tries to write her paper, she can't focus because she is so angry at the memories of what happened.

It's not my fault I'm different. It's not my fault I was better than everyone else. Not my fault. Not fair.

Grace finally drifts off to sleep and dreams of her last routine on the balance beam, her perfect dismount, only instead of landing she falls and falls and falls--

until the alarm wakes her up the next morning.

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    James walks into the class and picks out a seat towards the front of the class while the professor takes roll.

Well, he isnt exactly Mr. Interesting, but Ive had worse teachers.

Then he launched into his lecture, James listens and takes some good notes.

it's amazing that after 400 years people are still the same dickwads they always were. Just because someone is different. Just ignorant, scratch that, ignorance implies they havent had a chance to learn, this is just straight biggotry. Just people thinking that because we exist that they dont matter anymore. We celebrate mediocrity at every turn but punish those that are truly special. I don't think Ill ever understand it.

The homework turned out to be pretty easy, Man, a one page essay? Seriously? And I thought they would be challenging us.

Concentration 14
    Assignment 23 - 10 = 13/10

Also, sorry about channeling the Incredibles there, it just seemed to fit, heh.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Chastity dragged Jo away from the back of the classroom, although this left Jo Ann scowling. However, Chastity managed to keep her sister awake and paying attention. They both even took notes! Something went terribly wrong later that night. Even with her sister's help, Jo turned in something incomprehensible, and virtually illegible.
    Jo's Concentration roll=19 Chastity has a +15 mod and basically auto-passes, but I can make another roll and link if you want.
    Jo=7; Chastity=17
    7+2-10= Jo got a -1/10 or something?
    17+2-10= Chastity got a 9/10

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Domink throughly enjoyed the lecture. he was fascinated by the evolution of the social climate in Freedom City. His first class at the new school was great and things would bound to only improve. He was especially interested in that Reverend. People always were able to warp the world around them into whatever fit there vision of it.

His good mood fell when he was told of the assignment. A one page paper? I hate writing. why cant we just take some stupid test, i'm sure to pass that. Continually procrastinating on the paper he eventually falls asleep and promises to "make up for it." on the next assignment, assuming it's not more writing of course.
    1d20+8=18
    Home work check:1d20+2-10=-2/10

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Fourth Dimensional Physics[/url]

The bell rings and Darian Skyler walks into the classroom. He's a short, thin man with glasses and blonde hair
    parted on the side. He wears a charcoal suit and highly-polished black shoes and he looks very, very agitated
    about something. He does not greet you in any way, or take role call, but sets right to writing a very big
    and very complicated equation on the white board. It takes him a full 5 minutes to finish writing the equation on
    the board, and then he finally looks around on the class.

"Based on the assessments from your previous teachers, I would be very surprised if more than half of you can
    properly string together a sentence." There is no hint of joking in his voice. "Before I can properly teach you
    I will have to guage just how little you know. You are to work alone and have this entire period to solve this
    problem. There will be no need to talk."

Check A Knowledge (Physical Science) check DC 25 is required to solve the problem. Missing by less than 5 means you get partial credit, missing by 5-10 gets you a poor grade, but better than nothing. Missing by more than 10 is an utter failure, which Darian Skyler will point out.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Kent looks at the equation. He'd never done anything this complicated relating specifically to fourth dimension physics, but he could see where to begin... Right. And then you transform the resulting matrix...

Kent's thoughts were interrupted by the various expressions of disgust from the students around him. "What the hell??? I don't even know what half of this stuff means!" comes a disbelieving voice from somewhere behind him.

"This is a joke right? Does he seriously expect us to be able to do all this?"

How am I supposed to answer with all of this complaining?

Resisting the urge to tell his classmates to just do the work (He didn't want to be labelled a teacher's pet in addition to a nerd), he just tried to ignore everything going on around him.

When his time was up, he hadn't quite finished the problem, although he was sure it was well within his power to solve it, given better conditions.

Looking disgusted, he hands in the still un-finished answer, again resisting his urge to apologize to the teacher for being unable to finish.
    Knowledge: Science roll: 1d20+18=22 = fail by 3: Partial success.

El Skid on
  • Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Skerrk stands behind his desk quietly during Mr. Hoppee's class, doing his best to pay attention. Studying was something he'd have to work on - it wasn't exactly something they did back amongst the Runners. Very few of his people even took the time to think anything other than surviving the moment. Still, Skerrk does his best and ends up turning in a paper that at least shows he was trying to comprehend what was being taught.
    Hoppee's Class
    Concentration: 1d20+0=12
    Homework: 1d20+0=16

Skerrk stares at the chalkboard for a long while. They'd taught him English, and he understood the meanings of most of the symbols Mr. Skyler had written, but he couldn't for the life of him figure out what they meant put together.
    Skyler's Class
    Problem Solving: 1d20+0=4

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Domink grins widely as the teacher walks in, Alright this is the class that can really help me come to gripes with my powers. With my familiarty this class should be a breeze.

He eagerly begins copying down the equation as Mr. Hoppee writes it on the board. Scoffing at the teacher's flippant comments Domink immediatly begins work on the equation. Alright this is defining the dimensions for a tesseract...... take the square of Time and then..... refers to non-Euclidean Geometry.... and you have the answer! Domink positively beams as he solves the problem with about 10 minuets to spare.

He proudly marches up to the teachers desk and places his paper in front of him. "Looks like I can string together more then just a sentence."

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    James sits at his desk watching Professor Skyler write out the huge equation.

That looks kinda familiar. Did I do something like it back home? I know I recognize that bit in the middle, maybe I can simplify that bit....

James sets off to work on the equation, making some good progress despite most everyone complaining.

Ok, so I got that part, now I have to figure out what this means.... oh wait... thats just they symbol for... well Ive got this!

James finishes the problem, shuffles through the pages of notebook paper he used, double checking his work and hands his work in just as the bell is ringing.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    After Dom turns in his work, Professor Skyler glances at it quickly, then puts it into the in pile as if it were a bill he'd worry about paying later. He provides James with similar treatment.
    Though, as he leaves the classroom at the end with the stack of papers, you think you might see him crack a rare smile

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    The twins just stare at the board, silently, sometimes blinking. Eventually, Jo breaks into a frown. "This is gonna be a darn great class, I can just tell." She begins grumbling, as Chastity scratches at her paper. "Sorry sis," she mumbles, "I got no clue either." If it's up to Mackenzie, they'll be skipping this class from now on.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Grace groans inwardly. I don't suck at science, but this is just... ugh.

She struggles through it for a while and then gives up, feeling persecuted. She stalks up to the desk and drops her paper on it, avoiding the teacher's eyes. She's pretty sure some of it is right, but most of it is garbage.

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Super Human Sciences
    As your walking down the hallway towards the science room, a very loud and very sudden explosion coming from the science room nearly knocks you off your feet. As you peer inside, an attractive African-American woman is standing there coughing and covered in soot, except for the area right around her eyes where her safety goggles had previously resided.

"Alright, it obviously still needs a little work," she says to you between coughs and smiles warmly and steps into a
    back room as everyone takes their seats.

This classroom is made up of haggard old work benches with painted black wooden tops. If you look closely, you
    can see old graffiti etched into the surface that has been painted over several times.

Once the bell rings, Mrs. Harcourt steps out of the back room having changed clothes, but her face and hair are still rather dirty from the explosion. She takes role and then leans against the front workbench.

"Welcome to Super Human Sciences. In this class we will looking at scientific advances as they relate to meta-humans, as well as devoting a fair bit of time to tinkering with that technology ourselves so we can better understand it.

Today, we will be diving right in and creating a device no meta-human team should be without: Comm-links! Thesehandy devices will allow you to communicate with your team and call home to the Academy should you ever find yourself in need of help while out in the world. It also has a GPS function so we can locate you quickly if there
    is an emergency.

Check Craft (Electronics 10) - The commlinks construction is fairly straight forward. It is basically a matter of piecing together the pre-made components. If the check is failed, it may be retried as many times as it takes, after the third try Mrs. Harcourt will sit with the student and walk them through the process.

The comm link is the size of a button and fits in the ear. Once placed in the ear, you can barely tell it's there.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    James walks into the class and looks around, Oh man, this is going to be an easy class. He sits down with a smile on his face, probably the first since the incident. Listening intently to the lecture James is a little dissappointed. Well I guess I cant expect every class to just jump into the good stuff. Plus now I can actually talk to everyone else, I can't believe they didn't have something like this with them. Isn't that common sense? I mean, why wouldn't you have a radio on you.

When the professor is finished explaining the assignment, James shakes himself awake and sets to work. Soldering here, connecting wires there, and was finished in just a few minutes. Well, that was easy. It just just piecing it together, didn't have to make anything. Well, I guess later classes will be more interesting.

James walks up to the table and turns in his com link, "there you go professor. Unless there was somethin else, mind if I leave early?"

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Domink slowly takes a seat in the third row, just in case there was anothr explosion during class. This class is gonna be awesome! These two classes are gonna be the best for the year. I wonder what kind of things I can learn to help me control my powers! Maybe some kind of power augmenting gloves. Or some cool cyber shades!

He becomes a bit disappointed when he learns they're only doing commlink. Alright so it's not something amazing but I guess you gotta cover the basics. He picks up each piece and figures out it's function, Then lays them out on the table.

Taking a deep breath he picks up the soldering iron. Alright Dom, time to go from theory to practice. It takes him a moment to figure out how to use only a small bit of solder but after a few minuets of experimentation he flies through construction. Picking up his commlink he places it in his ear.

"Hello? Anybody hear me?"

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Kent listens to the professor closely, feeling slightly out of his depth.

I...guess this isn't all that hard. You just sauter the thing to the other thing, and screw in that tiny screw there...

Eventually, his comm link was put together. Not really sure if he had done everything right (or looking back on it, exactly what he had done in the first place), Kent decides it's time to try it out.

"Umm... hello?" says Kent into the comm, examining it dubiously

"Hello? Anybody hear me?" comes back through, in Dom's voice.

"Dom! They're working! Hi five!"
    Knowledge: Electronics roll: 1d20 + 5 - 2 = 19

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    The twins put their heads together, working back and forth on both of their devices. Chastity tries to keep her sister quiet, but several outbursts occur. Jo manages not to swear too loudly, though she doesn't seem worried about her language.

By the time both projects are finished, Jo's managed to burn her fingers several times, and has a distinct scowl upon her face. Chastity just looks tired. Her device actually took longer to put together, and looks in worse shape than her sister's, because she was so busy trying to make sure Jo didn't electrocute herself. Or get riled up enough to try blowing everything up. Again.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Skerrk looks over the supplied parts intently, turning them over and over again in his tentacles. He still wasn't entirely used to the concept of technology - back home the most advanced tools they had were clubs and axes, and most of the time those were in the hands of the enemy. Still, he did like television, and radio, and those were both technology, so it must be worth learning.

Struggling with the pieces for a bit, and accidentally phasing through them on more than one occasion, Skerrk finally manages to assemble something resembling a working comm link.

DE?AD on