As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Corpus Christie and the Cape Girls (An Indie Comic)

• WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It worked!

Wildcat on
  • AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My comment was just a spur of the moment reaction rather than a critique. And I’m certainly not somebody who wants you to fail, even if your book doesn’t appeal to me in the slightest. As for the cover:

The shading looks really off, especially for that guy’s body.
    His abs and chest look terrible. Really square and awkward looking compared to everything else.
    The neck especially just looks weird.
    The tongue sticking out looks unnatural too. I can’t really say why though.
    The stances also look really unnatural; it just looks like she was pasted on top of him.
    The coloring just looks… muted. I don’t know, I’d have a hard time explaining why, but it just looks so drab and unappealing.

Uh, I hope that helps a little. I’m probably not giving you enough information. All I can say is that I preferred the design of the first two covers.

I’m fairly new to comic books, but I think that picture from Ramos looks quite nice. His style (the squared jaws, big hands, just really cartoony) really seems to fit the over-the-top posturing that’s going on. That guy’s neck looks horrible, but that’s the only problem I can see with it.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • TravisLeggeTravisLegge Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    AJR wrote: »
    My comment was just a spur of the moment reaction rather than a critique. And I’m certainly not somebody who wants you to fail, even if your book doesn’t appeal to me in the slightest. As for the cover:

The shading looks really off, especially for that guy’s body.
    His abs and chest look terrible. Really square and awkward looking compared to everything else.
    The neck especially just looks weird.
    The tongue sticking out looks unnatural too. I can’t really say why though.
    The stances also look really unnatural; it just looks like she was pasted on top of him.
    The coloring just looks… muted. I don’t know, I’d have a hard time explaining why, but it just looks so drab and unappealing.

Uh, I hope that helps a little. I’m probably not giving you enough information. All I can say is that I preferred the design of the first two covers.

I’m fairly new to comic books, but I think that picture from Ramos looks quite nice. His style (the squared jaws, big hands, just really cartoony) really seems to fit the over-the-top posturing that’s going on. That guy’s neck looks horrible, but that’s the only problem I can see with it.

Actually this is awesome. Thanks. I appreciate and will pass the feedback on to my artist.

@ wildcat, Your powers of Keith summoning are mui impressive.

@ Keith, to be fair I never read Impulse, but I have universally detested Ramos's art in every other place I've seen it.

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
    Home to the Contagion Role-Playing Game! News about Corpus Christie and the Cape Girls.
    edited June 2008
    Well shucks, glad I could help.

Looking through his artwork, Franco does seem pretty talented. It’s just this cover that really looked awkward to me.

AJR on
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    edited June 2008
    AJR wrote: »
    Well shucks, glad I could help.

Looking through his artwork, Franco does seem pretty talented. It’s just this cover that really looked awkward to me.

Nobody bats 1000. Even Ramos :P

Really, I should have probably been more critical of the cover in the first place. I'm still in the "HOLY SHIT SOMEONE IS DRAWING MY COMIC!!!!" stage, and sometimes that makes it hard for me to offer criticism of his art. I'm working on it :P

If you haven't downloaded the books on wowio, You should. I would love to hear your thoughts.

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
    Home to the Contagion Role-Playing Game! News about Corpus Christie and the Cape Girls.
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's actually not that bad, the biggest problem with the cover is that it's just extremely flat. There's absolutely no depth to any of it, which makes their poses look very stiff and fake. The faces also have more of a 'generic anime' style than 'realistic-ish comic book' look, which is always a few points off with this crowd. :)

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited June 2008
    Would if I could, but I can’t since I’m not from the U.S.

If you wanted to P.M me links I’d gladly have a read through, otherwise all I can really do is comment on the cover art.

AJR on
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    edited June 2008
    Corpus Christie has been reviewed at Heroine Addict!

Read it! Love it!

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
    edited June 2008
    I will be in Artist's Alley at WIZARD WORLD CHICAGO from June 26-29th, pimping my work. Any of you guys going?

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
    edited June 2008
    It looks like the thread i started for Reckoning bit the dust, so I guess I'll just consolidate and post some info here:
    Reckoning issue 2 is now available at WOWIO.COM!
    The issue has met with rave reviews at Heroine Addict.
    Here's a sneak preview, with the first five pages of issue 1 and issue 2. WARNING! These images are graphic and the language is naughty:
    Issue 1:
    Page One

Page Two

Page Three

Page Four

Page Five

Issue 2:
    TITLE PAGE

Page One

Page Two

Page Three

Page Four

Page Five

June 26-29 I will be at Wizard World Chicago Table's 3216 - 3218 in Artist’s Alley, with the people from Starkweather Studios.
    Reckoning Issue 1, Corpus Christie and the Cape Girls issues 1-3, Sequential Suicide: Slop, and copies of Cornerstone will be available.

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    why would she want the window rolled down.

also, that is not something i would ever buy.

Angry on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Was the lettering done in MSpaint or something

I have no idea why but for some reason it's really distracting.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • DraXXXenDraXXXen Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh man, Santiago Espina drew that?

He was one of the artists I was talking with to do my series, though we ended up choosing another batch of artists. He does great concept sketches (especially city architecture)

Behold, early model of one of my characters done by Santiago Espina (though we have gone through about 8 versions of him with many artists)

preview.jpg

DraXXXen on
    donutMachine.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Jesus Christ. He's like some terrifying hybrid of the sumo guy from Stormwatch and Nuke in Supreme Power. And a skull.

It's awesome.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    edited June 2008
    Angry wrote: »

Summer. Hot outside. Fresh air.
    Was the lettering done in MSpaint or something

I have no idea why but for some reason it's really distracting.
    No, it was done in Comic life. The font choice in the first issue was a poor choice. I'll be correcting it for my next print run and the collected edition. The font in the second issue is American Typewriter, and I like it much better.

And yeah, Santiago's pretty good. He and I will be working on another mini once Reckoning wraps.

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What are you going for with the typewriter font?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2008
    It sort of looks like the font bubble was made with no thought towards how much text has to be in them. Like, "Okay, speech bubble here, speech bubble there, right, two here and one there. Bonzer. Now to go back and put the text in." Sort of gives the impression someones gone through the comic changing all the dialogue.

I'm not explaining myself very well and this is a tiny issue that's probably not bugging anyone else anywhere near as much as it is me.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    edited June 2008
    Something plain, legible, and stark. Kind of along the lines of her typing everything out in a journal or something similar. I think the typewriter font makes things kind of matter-of-fact. nothing dressed up or fancy. The initial font choice was to illustrate the madness of the situation, but it just turned out to be a distraction, I thought.

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
    edited June 2008
    comiclifeci4.jpg

This is what you are using?

jesus

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    edited June 2008
    It sort of looks like the font bubble was made with no thought towards how much text has to be in them. Like, "Okay, speech bubble here, speech bubble there, right, two here and one there. Bonzer. Now to go back and put the text in." Sort of gives the impression someones gone through the comic changing all the dialogue.

I'm not explaining myself very well and this is a tiny issue that's probably not bugging anyone else anywhere near as much as it is me.

No, I see what you're saying. I'm still learning my way around lettering. Sometimes it's a bitch to fit the bubbles in the art without covering anything important.

I'm trying to learn illustrator well enough to feel confident lettering in it so I'll have a bit more control over the bubble placement/proportion/white space.

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2008
    that is awful lettering

Garlic Bread on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2008

No, I see what you're saying. I'm still learning my way around lettering. Sometimes it's a bitch to fit the bubbles in the art without covering anything important.

Have you tried coming up with layouts before having the artist do the real panels?

Garlic Bread on
    edited June 2008
    Typically he sends me the pencils, I plug in the letters and ask him to move things here or there, before the inks. We haven't done basic layouts though. I've been kicking around the idea of just sending stick figure drawings with room for lettering blocked out, as a guide, or having him do the same. I think I'll be able to address the lettering issue a bit better once i start using illustrator.

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Typically he sends me the pencils, I plug in the letters and ask him to move things here or there, before the inks. We haven't done basic layouts though. I've been kicking around the idea of just sending stick figure drawings with room for lettering blocked out, as a guide, or having him do the same. I think I'll be able to address the lettering issue a bit better once i start using illustrator.

This is what most writers, particularly ones who have experience drawing comics, do. Ask your artist to keep the word bubbles in mind when laying out each panel so you can avoid having to letter over too much.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    man if only the speech bubbles

were the biggest problem

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

she doesn't want to get seen outside of the car because she feels too exposed so the first thing she does before gargling some knob is ask for the window to be rolled down?

Angry on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Jesus Christ. He's like some terrifying hybrid of the sumo guy from Stormwatch and Nuke in Supreme Power. And a skull.

It's awesome.

yeah i'd definitely hire that guy, especially if i worked for warhammer 40k

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited June 2008
    i just read the pages you posted

it wasn't good

Garlic Bread on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

she doesn't want to get seen outside of the car because she feels too exposed so the first thing she does before gargling some knob is ask for the window to be rolled down?

This was my reaction when I read that part, too.

Just out of curiosity, why do you have her ask to have the window rolled down? Meaning, is it just fluff text that doesn't have a direct story-telling purpose, or are you doing this to show why the dude rolls the window down, which is why later on the other chick can reach in through the open window with the knife? Because if it's the latter, I don't think you need to bother - if you left that line out completely, and the window just so happened to be open when it needed to be for the beheading to happen, I wouldn't be all "Wait a minute why is the window open does not compute, this is not realistic at all, nerd rage activate". I'd be like "Oh, ok, the window was open, and now that dude's headless (:winky:)".

Basically, what I'm saying is, the girl asking for the window to be opened didn't make any sense to me in context, so the fact that it was so out-of-place made me think it was either shoddy writing or going to be important somehow. So, I sat there waiting for it to come into play, and then it didn't.

Delduwath on
    edited June 2008
    I thought the hooker was in cahoots with the killer.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2008
    Wait hooker? I thought the killer was like "Aww look at that cute couple in love, wait I used to be young and in love, and now I've been replaced I'm gonna cut their faces off". As in, it's not pre-meditated, and the girl in the car is not a hooker, but rather that guy's girlfriend.

Delduwath on
    edited June 2008
    Delduwath wrote: »

This was my reaction when I read that part, too.

Just out of curiosity, why do you have her ask to have the window rolled down? Meaning, is it just fluff text that doesn't have a direct story-telling purpose, or are you doing this to show why the dude rolls the window down, which is why later on the other chick can reach in through the open window with the knife? Because if it's the latter, I don't think you need to bother - if you left that line out completely, and the window just so happened to be open when it needed to be for the beheading to happen, I wouldn't be all "Wait a minute why is the window open does not compute, this is not realistic at all, nerd rage activate". I'd be like "Oh, ok, the window was open, and now that dude's headless (:winky:)".

Basically, what I'm saying is, the girl asking for the window to be opened didn't make any sense to me in context, so the fact that it was so out-of-place made me think it was either shoddy writing or going to be important somehow. So, I sat there waiting for it to come into play, and then it didn't.

I guess I had the exact opposite reaction when I was working on it. I was thinking "what is believable?" My first draft had her punching through the window...utterly unrealistic. My second thought was to have the window just be open with no explanation, which i thought would be a harder sell, so I had her ask to open the window, because it struck me as a realistic thing to say. To put it bluntly its dialogue I've heard in a similar situation. So what would be better, removing the line completely or adding a line along the lines of "It's hot in here."?
    Wait hooker? I thought the killer was like "Aww look at that cute couple in love, wait I used to be young and in love, and now I've been replaced I'm gonna cut their faces off". As in, it's not pre-meditated, and the girl in the car is not a hooker, but rather that guy's girlfriend.

Pretty much, although Paco's murder was premeditated. Justine wasn't just randomly hacking up happy couples.

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
    edited June 2008
    Oh, and thanks, Mask. As always your contribution is helpful!

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
    edited June 2008
    I guess I had the exact opposite reaction when I was working on it. I was thinking "what is believable?" My first draft had her punching through the window...utterly unrealistic. My second thought was to have the window just be open with no explanation, which i thought would be a harder sell, so I had her ask to open the window, because it struck me as a realistic thing to say. To put it bluntly its dialogue I've heard in a similar situation. So what would be better, removing the line completely or adding a line along the lines of "It's hot in here."?

Agreed, having her punch out the window would be bad (the less outright violence there is, the more cold-blooded and methodical the killer seems [to me], and the more unnerving the whole scenario is). Still, I wouldn't have minded at all if the window was "conveniently" open; in fact, I probably wouldn't have even noticed. Furthermore, I don't see any indication that it's actually hot inside the car or out, so maybe if you want the line in there, you can have the girl say that it is, in fact, hot in the car, and the guy can roll down the window in response.

Anyway, this it a pretty minor thing, there's no reason for me to go on and on about it. Also, it's probably too late to make changes to the issue anyway.

Pretty much, although Paco's murder was premeditated. Justine wasn't just randomly hacking up happy couples.

Oh. I didn't know that, which is why I thought she WAS just randomly hacking up a happy couple. So, now my impression of the character is completely different (before I thought she was traumatized and bugfuck crazy, now I guess I think that she's cold and calculating).

I think my biggest problem with what I've seen so far is the art. Everyone is like "oh shits, that guy is awesome", but I just don't see it. On the first panel of the first page of the issue #1 preview, the dude in the chair looks to be in a completely dark room, and has blond hair. The next time we see him in the panel right under that one, he's in a brightly lit room, and has black hair. I understand the dramatic effect of having a dark background, and I understand that it might be weird to have black hair on a black background, but that doesn't change the fact that this transition doesn't make sense to me.

On page 5 of the issue #1 preview, in the panel where Justine's friend asks if Jay is the cute cousin, her face looks...broken. Not human. Compare that to the last panel on the same page - it doesn't even look like the same person (at first, I thought that was Justine, but the multi-color hair suggests otherwise).

In the preview of issue #2, Paco's face looks pretty weird during the entire blowjob sequence. For example, look at the 3rd panel on page 5. That's some chin the dude is sporting. I only just now, after careful examination, realized that he's biting his lip. I guess it makes more sense now, but still. Jay Leno. And yeah, I know that people make funny faces during orgasm, but it's one thing to make a funny face and another to rearrange the bone structure of your face.

I guess some of those are nit-picky, and some of those may go away if it's going to be in color (by the way, is it going to be in color? Or is it black and white only?), but my feeling is that though the artist does really well with inorganic subjects, like cars and cityscapes and such, he's not so good at drawing people.

Delduwath on
    edited June 2008

Agreed, having her punch out the window would be bad (the less outright violence there is, the more cold-blooded and methodical the killer seems [to me], and the more unnerving the whole scenario is). Still, I wouldn't have minded at all if the window was "conveniently" open; in fact, I probably wouldn't have even noticed. Furthermore, I don't see any indication that it's actually hot inside the car or out, so maybe if you want the line in there, you can have the girl say that it is, in fact, hot in the car, and the guy can roll down the window in response.

Anyway, this it a pretty minor thing, there's no reason for me to go on and on about it. Also, it's probably too late to make changes to the issue anyway.

It's too late for the individual issue, but I an going to be doing a collected edition this fall with new lettering, additional art, essays, and a ton of neat stuff. the telling of this story has been a huge deal to me, and I wanna make sure that when I put a collection together it gets the treatment it deserves. I'll definitely take a close look at this sequence and I'm sure I'll come up with something. Your input is way appreciated!

Oh. I didn't know that, which is why I thought she WAS just randomly hacking up a happy couple. So, now my impression of the character is completely different (before I thought she was traumatized and bugfuck crazy, now I guess I think that she's cold and calculating).[/QUOTE]

Oh, make no mistake, she is traumatized and bugfuck crazy, she just also happens to be cold and calculating. Her descent into madness from seeking revenge is a large theme of the story.
    I think my biggest problem with what I've seen so far is the art. Everyone is like "oh shits, that guy is awesome", but I just don't see it. On the first panel of the first page of the issue #1 preview, the dude in the chair looks to be in a completely dark room, and has blond hair. The next time we see him in the panel right under that one, he's in a brightly lit room, and has black hair. I understand the dramatic effect of having a dark background, and I understand that it might be weird to have black hair on a black background, but that doesn't change the fact that this transition doesn't make sense to me.

On page 5 of the issue #1 preview, in the panel where Justine's friend asks if Jay is the cute cousin, her face looks...broken. Not human. Compare that to the last panel on the same page - it doesn't even look like the same person (at first, I thought that was Justine, but the multi-color hair suggests otherwise).

In the preview of issue #2, Paco's face looks pretty weird during the entire blowjob sequence. For example, look at the 3rd panel on page 5. That's some chin the dude is sporting. I only just now, after careful examination, realized that he's biting his lip. I guess it makes more sense now, but still. Jay Leno. And yeah, I know that people make funny faces during orgasm, but it's one thing to make a funny face and another to rearrange the bone structure of your face.

I guess some of those are nit-picky, and some of those may go away if it's going to be in color (by the way, is it going to be in color? Or is it black and white only?), but my feeling is that though the artist does really well with inorganic subjects, like cars and cityscapes and such, he's not so good at drawing people.

At this time there are no plans for a color release. I simply can't afford it. If i make enough loot off of the issues i MAY try to color the collected edition, but that doesn't seem horribly likely. I have to dig myself out of debt first :P

I think Santiago, like Franco (who does Corpus Christie) has a few rough spots in his art, but overall I like his work. I think given time and practice, Santiago will be quite superb. I look forward to working with him on our next project!

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
    edited June 2008
    For what it's worth, I actually prefer black and white for an ostensibly noir title such as this.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2008
    For what it's worth, I actually prefer black and white for an ostensibly noir title such as this.

I think it works in black and white. If I were to go with coloring it, it would have to be a very muted color palette, very very dark, muddy tones.

Chances are very good that its an academic discussion at this point, what with me being poor :P

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
    edited June 2008

Oh. I didn't know that, which is why I thought she WAS just randomly hacking up a happy couple. So, now my impression of the character is completely different (before I thought she was traumatized and bugfuck crazy, now I guess I think that she's cold and calculating).

Oh, make no mistake, she is traumatized and bugfuck crazy, she just also happens to be cold and calculating. Her descent into madness from seeking revenge is a large theme of the story.

When Justine thinks "The past fades. They've taken our place. Who do they think they are?", I read that as "Who do they think they are to be so happy when I'm miserable and my boyfriend is dead? Why do they get to be the happy couple when we don't?". And then after this, she proceeds to slit the dude's throat. So to me, the whole thing reads as her being insane, and jealous, and killing those people out of jealousy. It looks like a completely impulse killing - she sees a happy couple, begrudges them what she had, and then kills them (well, OK, we only see her killing Paco).

This is probably just an issue of me only seeing part of the final product; if, in the full issue, it's made clear that she's planning on killing that guy anyway, not just because he's happy, then what I'm saying here is probably not relevant.

What I'm trying to say, basically, is that I don't think you can be emotional AND cold and unfeeling at the same time. In the bit that I read, I interpreted her as being ruled by her emotions, so I wouldn't buy her as being cold and calculating. If you want her to be the latter, I think you should be careful not to portray her as being the former (although I guess you can make the case that emotionless characters tend to put on a facade, and have wild, rampaging anger or fear or whatever underneath).

Delduwath on
    edited June 2008

When Justine thinks "The past fades. They've taken our place. Who do they think they are?", I read that as "Who do they think they are to be so happy when I'm miserable and my boyfriend is dead? Why do they get to be the happy couple when we don't?". And then after this, she proceeds to slit the dude's throat. So to me, the whole thing reads as her being insane, and jealous, and killing those people out of jealousy. It looks like a completely impulse killing - she sees a happy couple, begrudges them what she had, and then kills them (well, OK, we only see her killing Paco).

This is probably just an issue of me only seeing part of the final product; if, in the full issue, it's made clear that she's planning on killing that guy anyway, not just because he's happy, then what I'm saying here is probably not relevant.

What I'm trying to say, basically, is that I don't think you can be emotional AND cold and unfeeling at the same time. In the bit that I read, I interpreted her as being ruled by her emotions, so I wouldn't buy her as being cold and calculating. If you want her to be the latter, I think you should be careful not to portray her as being the former (although I guess you can make the case that emotionless characters tend to put on a facade, and have wild, rampaging anger or fear or whatever underneath).

I think if you read all of issue one, it will all make sense and your questions/concerns will be addressed. It's up on wowio, but their site is apparently down for the next couple of weeks as they prepare to go global. You can get it on indyplanet, otherwise PM me and we can work out a way to get you a copy.

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
    edited June 2008
    the black and white works ok, but the way your guy draws wetness in the shower scene looks more like veins a poppin out of control then being wet.

Angry on