As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Legions (aka Tribes 4): Open Beta Tomorrow!

ZekZek Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Games and Technology
so what the fuck guys

leg09re5.jpg

http://www.instantaction.com/

So, this is the spiritual successor to Tribes, made by a bunch of guys originally from Dynamix. I don't know much about it but fucking Tribes man, let's play this thing.

Open Beta. Tomorrow, 6/24. Go sign up for InstantAction now.

Developer Walkthrough from back in february:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFGTbyCa-2c&feature=related

Zek on

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Browser based.

But I still want it.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • TeevirusTeevirus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I signed up. Is this garagegames.com ActiveX thing spyware? Because I'll be kind of salty if it is.

Teevirus on
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I dont think the game is browser based, I hope not... but it sure feels like the old turbine managed microsoft games setup they used for the original Asherons Call... which I thought was terribad.

Either way, I am a tribes whore. I will play this.

dispatch.o on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's not like it's a Flash game, InstantAction is just a launch interface and the game runs fullscreen IIRC.

Zek on
  • TeevirusTeevirus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Zek wrote: »
    It's not like it's a Flash game, InstantAction is just a launch interface and the game runs fullscreen IIRC.

This is correct information.

Teevirus on
  • drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How many people are going to be in a server?

drunkenpandaren on
    Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • TrichomeTrichome Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    thanks for the heads up.

i've been waiting for this for months.

Trichome on
  • exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I signed up for the beta, but I still have a bad taste from Tribes 2.

To this day I have never been able to play it after the first time I installed it on launch day.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Shouldn't we post names and build a list?

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh I am so in.

Dartboy on
  • MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sweet, count me in. Now I just need to remember my InstantAction password... fuck it, I'll just reset it.

My InstantAction ID is ConfusedWalrus , add me to the list if we're making one. :P

MyNameIsWalrus on
  • WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Been in the closed beta for a while, but I just now tried it. Runs really well for a browser...feels like old tribes, physics-wise. Way more than T:V, at the very least. Guess I'll post my shit tomorrow when I figure how to use this.

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • My Name Is LukeMy Name Is Luke Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sounds interesting, I always wanted to check out the old Tribes games.

My Name Is Luke on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I am in the closed beta.

Here are the instructions for taking my favorite game ever in the history of the world and turning it into something I do not enjoy.

Step 1: remove most of the weapons.

Step 2: remove all of the vehicles.

Step 3: remove all of the packs, the different loadouts, the base buildings, the deployables, the objectives, the beacons, the radar, and the mines.

Step 4: remove all the humorous voices (optional)

Step 5: remove the objective capturing game mode

Step 6: ???

Step 7: profit

And these guys followed every single step.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What? Then what does it have?

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited June 2008
    Chaingun, disk launcher, laser rifle, grenade launcher. Skiing. Capture the flag. Jetpacks. I think that's basically it. It might have grenades. Oh, and take out the three armor types, because there's just one.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • CrapfestivalCrapfestival Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Chaingun, disk launcher, laser rifle, grenade launcher. Skiing. Capture the flag. Jetpacks. I think that's basically it. It might have grenades. Oh, and take out the three armor types, because there's just one.

Man. Reading this and your last post made my tribes boner slowly go to a tribes semi and finally end up as a tribes windsock.

Crapfestival on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Isn't the plan to continually add new content throughout the game's life? And it is still in beta.

Zek on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    exoplasm wrote: »

To this day I have never been able to play it after the first time I installed it on launch day.

did.. you ever try past your install on launch day? because 2 months after launch pretty much every bug was worked out through patches.

Angry on
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Signed up, awaiting confirmation email. The movement really sold me on the game, as I'm talking about the use of space by players in an upcoming blog post so this hits at just the right time for me.

LibrarianThorne on
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Angry wrote: »

did.. you ever try past your install on launch day? because 2 months after launch pretty much every bug was worked out through patches.

Are you talking about Tribes 2? That game was a buggy mess, I still remember the UE's and the reverse patch. Two months my ass. If you're not talking about Tribes 2 please disregard.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Angry wrote: »

Once a year I re-discover my Tribes 2 disc and install the game. One of two things happens:

a) Cannot patch. No matter what I do, the patches do not work. This has been on 4 or 5 different computers by now.

b) If I somehow got the game to a point where it will be current and connected, it cannot find my account or CD key in the database. This really makes it hard to play since you have to log in to play.

End result: I have not been able to play this game since ever.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Signed up, my in-game name will be Darmak (of course). This looks interesting.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Uber AbgestopptUber Abgestoppt BEERGICIAN Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I loved Tribes 2. Every game since has been..meh. I hope they bring this back to the oldschool.

Uber Abgestoppt on
    demoman.png
    edited June 2008
    I loved Tribes. Every game since has been..meh. I hope they bring this back to the oldschool.

I fixed that for you.

But really, Tribes 2 always felt like I was moving through soup or something, just always felt sluggish to me. But I'm interested in trying this out depending on what people say about it here when it goes live.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So god damn awesome, i'm all up in that shit tomorrow.

Shazbot!

Waka Laka on
  • DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Always hearing the name Tribes here as if its some super game but I've never played it or seen it played or actually met anyone who has played it. Signed up out of curiosity!

Minty_Vision

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
    edited June 2008
    Domhnall wrote: »
    Always hearing the name Tribes here as if its some super game but I've never played it or seen it played or actually met anyone who has played it. Signed up out of curiosity!

Minty_Vision

Tribes Wiki:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starsiege:_Tribes

Game play vids: (though without having every played the game it will pretty hard to understand the awesomeness of the things shown in these videos)

Link to the full game: (Been freeware for awhile, dunno if anyone still plays the community kinda self destructed after the release of Tribes2)
    http://files.filefront.com/Tribes+Full+Game/;3172689;/fileinfo.html

LittleBoots on

• Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My friend and I were reminiscing about Tribes 2 and then suddenly a commercial came up with a guy using a rocket belt...

Then I thought "50's jet pack technology + Warsaw Pact vs. NATO = !?!?!?" a Tribes game set in the early years of the Cold War. I mean, imagine the fricken potential!

Exploding hoola hoops of death! :winky:

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Isn't that what Rocketman is about?

EDIT: er, Rocketeer rather.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

Minty_Vision
    It's actually not any good unless you played it when it came out. I tried it several months ago since it's freeware and it was just "meh". I wouldn't waste your time with it if I were you.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    As a Tribes whore, I am SniperGuy210.

SniperGuy on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Darmak wrote: »

Minty_Vision
    It's actually not any good unless you played it when it came out. I tried it several months ago since it's freeware and it was just "meh". I wouldn't waste your time with it if I were you.

Did you play Shifter v5? Cause if not, GO PLAY SHIFTER V5

SniperGuy on
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, all the Legions games still say closed beta. Anyone know when they open up?

LibrarianThorne on
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, all the Legions games still say closed beta. Anyone know when they open up?

4 hours 41 minutes according to their countdown clock.

bloodyroarxx on
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I played the shit out Tribes. I was also never able to get Tribes 2 to work. Tried off and on for a couple of years on different computers. Sad state of affairs.

This game sounds somewhat interesting. Might try it out at some point.

corin7 on
    edited June 2008
    Don't get me wrong, it's not all bad. The jetpack now lets you jet in any direction, and the skiing is no longer "jump like a monkey down a hill" but is instead this neat sort of "slide all over" thing, but playing this has made me realize that even though the best part about Tribes is nailing some bozo with your spinfusor, it only turns into pure sex when it's in the context of a gigantic struggle between two huge teams with stations and armor and tons of weapons and deployables and mortars and vehicles everywhere. I don't think it holds up so well when you take most of that stuff out.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Don't get me wrong, it's not all bad. The jetpack now lets you jet in any direction, and the skiing is no longer "jump like a monkey down a hill" but is instead this neat sort of "slide all over" thing, but playing this has made me realize that even though the best part about Tribes is nailing some bozo with your spinfusor, it only turns into pure sex when it's in the context of a gigantic struggle between two huge teams with stations and armor and tons of weapons and deployables and mortars and vehicles everywhere. I don't think it holds up so well when you take most of that stuff out.

I always felt like Planetside was really supposed to be the true spiritual successor to Tribes mainly for this reason.

SammyF on
  • PrecursorPrecursor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Tribes brings back good memories.

Fuck Shifter, fuck Renegades, BASE is where it was at.

Air Discing, Mine-Discing, Air Sniping, Mortar jumps, it was crazy. Once you got good at that game you could do some mind boggling stuff.

I think it was how the game evolved as people got better and started figuring out things that made it so awesome. Like it was self-balancing.

The big one was skiing. Heavies could move as fast if not faster than a Light. So instead of using the transport aircraft or attacking with Light and Medium armors people were flying in with Heavies. So now you have Heavies all over your base, what the hell do you do!?

Mine-Discs. Drop a mine on a guy then shoot it with an explosive disc. Massive damage! It made short work of EVERYTHING so that changed the game completely. It was all about positioning and making sure you're in the air when he's on the ground. And so Heavies were a bit easier to take down.

Fights were all cat and mouse until we got air discing. Hitting someone that was moving in 3 axises with a slow, explosive, disc while you yourself were moving in 3 axises was just luck until it became a necessity. Landing ment dying, so you had to kill him in the air or get him away from you.

With your enemy flying away from you in a predictable angle after being disc'd, sniping him was the logical step. Might seem like no big deal, but sniping took energy and so did flying so it took skill to juggle. Get enough air so you have a shot at him before he drops over that hill, but still have enough energy left over to do enough damage to kill him.

The last thing i remember before leaving was Air Mine-Discing. Just insane.

The game was so amazing. I have many fond memories of it.

Precursor on
    Quashdom.png
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There are no vehicles at all? That sucks, I loved the scout in T1 and shrike in T2. In a dirty dirty way.

I liked Tribes 2 more than Tribes 1, but I think a lot of that was from playing Tribes 1 for such a long time and wanting any sort of fresh take. It's a real shame Tribes 2 never got a chance to be polished (or even really finished) before release. It's one of the best examples of a game being pushed out a door against the wishes of it's developers. So T2 was buggy (UE's already got mentioned) for a lot of hardware configurations, and even when it was pretty stable it didn't perform as well as it should have. Polygon counts on unoptimized models among other things made it chug on more moderate hardware and really pre-empted a widespread adoption of the game, IMO.

But the excellence of the core game still shone through, and competitive game-play was just... bloody awesome. The in-game chat (IRC so you could still chat with the client closed too which was nice), and tribe system with forums and a browser was really amazing. It's a shame that the forums ended up closed down basically due to racial comments because, apparently, people were racist idiots before micophones and x-box live, too.

Sigh.

Well I'll play it. My ISP is being shoddy so I don't doubt my enjoyment will be curtailed somewhat by packet loss.

Ego on
    Erik