As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Job issues, what should I do? (A new twist, page 4)

13»

• Options
    RahantRahant Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If push comes to shove, I'll take out a student loan and go back to school for my Master's degree, which is something that I have been thinking about. While I do pay attention to the news, including the unemployment numbers and oil and all that, I know that there are other jobs out there. They may not be ideal or my first choice, but they are there. I just need to look and not be overly picky.

One other thing my relative mentioned: Better to leave on "good" terms than have them start finding excuses to get rid of me and having that go on my record, which I mentioned I believe they are doing. That may be something to think about, too.

Rahant on
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Rahant wrote: »
    If push comes to shove, I'll take out a student loan and go back to school for my Master's degree, which is something that I have been thinking about. While I do pay attention to the news, including the unemployment numbers and oil and all that, I know that there are other jobs out there. They may not be ideal or my first choice, but they are there. I just need to look and not be overly picky.

One other thing my relative mentioned: Better to leave on "good" terms than have them start finding excuses to get rid of me and having that go on my record, which I mentioned I believe they are doing. That may be something to think about, too.

I'm going to sound mean here, but I think you've already given them plenty of reasons to find excuses to get rid of you with the choices you've made that you told us about here. With that mindset, staying longer to ensure you get a paycheck shouldn't be anything but beneficial to you.

It's not necessarily the company as a whole you need to avoid burning bridges with, but the people. As long as most people think you are trying your best, that's what will stick in their minds rather than what your supervisor may say about you when you are gone.

Unless there is a huge issue with your presence, your supervisor's boss will probably just dismiss you as another employee who has an issue or some such and not take out some vendetta against you. When you start making your supervisor's boss look bad, then it'll be a larger issue.

Through friends and even in my own company, I know that sometimes people want such and such to get fired, but there's no way they can go about it. Typically, they'll hold this thought for a very long time until steps can be taken. If steps can be taken, they will usually find someone who they think can replace said person, otherwise it's a larger headache to begin with.

Since you haven't said they have taken steps to find someone to train or replace you to your knowledge (like hiring someone under you or someone to perform tasks very similar to you own), there's probably nothing they want to do about you just yet, unless they want whatever you do to go away and not worry about it anymore?

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Actually, they have. There is a junior staff member that I've shown how to do some of what I do, but I have withheld key information up to this point. They are now starting to push me to show him the rest, which is very complicated and I couldn't show him and have work with it with any confidence in three weeks. They have been trying to find someone to "help" me, but without much luck because people with my particular skillset are surprisingly rare. And they don't have much choice. I provide something they need; it's not something that can just say they don't want to deal with anymore. It's actually vital to their operation unless they want to start subcontracting the work out.

There's also something else I was told: This is just no way to live. Going in every day on edge and wondering what kind of shit they're going to pull, and being completely miserable and depressed and the sheer prospect of going in is no way to live life. Obviously, this is another rationalization, but there's some truth to it.

Rahant on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    If I can go back to my question regarding resignation, who do I send it to? I know I should address it to my supervisor, but I'm planning of CC'ing the program manager. Is this correct? Should I also CC HR on it? Also, how much time should I give? Right now, I'm planning on three weeks. Should I give more, like 4 weeks/30 days? I'm planning on sending this tomorrow (Sunday), so I kind of need to know ASAP. I've never had to resign like this before.

I've had my resume out there for three days, and I've already had a couple of bites. I'm hoping this is a good sign. I won't get my hopes too high, but at least it's not discouraging.

Rahant on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If I can go back to my question regarding resignation, who do I send it to? I know I should address it to my supervisor, but I'm planning of CC'ing the program manager. Is this correct? Should I also CC HR on it? Also, how much time should I give? Right now, I'm planning on three weeks. Should I give more, like 4 weeks/30 days? I'm planning on sending this tomorrow (Sunday), so I kind of need to know ASAP. I've never had to resign like this before.

I've had my resume out there for three days, and I've already had a couple of bites. I'm hoping this is a good sign. I won't get my hopes too high, but at least it's not discouraging.

I don't think you're technically required to give any leave, unless stipulated by your contract. However, 2 weeks is customary, unless you've been there 10+ years.

Yes, CC everyone on your resignation, and also print it out (signed) and give a copy to everyone.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Update for those that want to know:
    I handed in my resignation yesterday. I pulled the trigger. As was expected, my supervisor was not there, so I left it on her desk. I signed it and scanned it in, and emailed it to her and CC'd the program manager and the local HR rep. I've told a few people who I've been close with for the past several years. My official reason is that it's just time and I need a change. I've told one person the truth, as detailed in this thread, with the understanding that she's going to keep it to herself, and I know I can trust her. It seems like it may be good to have a "keeper of the knowledge" there who knows what really happened, so that if thing continue downhill, the knowledge what really happened with me is there.

I gave three weeks notice. The funny thing is that I haven't got a read receipt from my supervisor. I have Outlook set to automatically request read receipts of all emails. I got a receipt from the program manager and the HR rep, but not from my supervisor. From what I've heard, people haven't been able to get a hold of her for a couple of days now. She's simply been "unavailable," according to the office manager. She's not even checking her email, as far as I can tell, so she may not even know at this point. Her usual self. She did try to put some comments on my mid-year review about a week ago that I'm giving responses to. I won't go into detail, but they were the most obvious statements as to her utter obliviousness of what is actually going on in the office or what I'm working on, and I called her out on it on the record. I'm not leaving on bad terms by doing that, IMO. I'm just covering myself from blatantly unfair and patently false statements being made against me that others can back me up on.

So, I guess I'm done with this company. It's a bit of a shame to see things go this way. I've been there five years permanently, but I was temping on and off for five years before that, so this is ultimately the end of ten years at this place. I'm scared about the future, but at the same time I think I realize that it is time for a change. Ten years is a long time for something that wasn't really part of my plans in the first place. Maybe it's just time. I'm depressed and scared over this, but also realizing that it probably needed to happen. I'll also probably be screwing them over by leaving, too, as I mentioned that they haven't been able to get someone to help me in three years, so good luck finding a replacement. And I've got too much work to do in the next 2 and a half weeks to be bothered to train anyone. So I have a little satisfaction. Maybe that will come back to bite my supervisor. I can only hope.

Rahant on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So, I guess I'm done with this company. It's a bit of a shame to see things go this way. I've been there five years permanently, but I was temping on and off for five years before that, so this is ultimately the end of ten years at this place. I'm scared about the future, but at the same time I think I realize that it is time for a change. Ten years is a long time for something that wasn't really part of my plans in the first place. Maybe it's just time. I'm depressed and scared over this, but also realizing that it probably needed to happen. I'll also probably be screwing them over by leaving, too, as I mentioned that they haven't been able to get someone to help me in three years, so good luck finding a replacement. And I've got too much work to do in the next 2 and a half weeks to be bothered to train anyone. So I have a little satisfaction. Maybe that will come back to bite my supervisor. I can only hope.

Never let a job make you depressed or scared. When your shift is over, let it go (unless there's a grievance that needs to be taken care of, of course). That said, it's probably a good thing you cut the cord, and being there 10+ years is definitely a huge advantage to you when you find a new job. No matter what they try to say, the fact that you've been there that long says that if something went south, it was probably them at fault.

Friendly advice from someone who's been in somewhat the same situation as you, defend yourself, but don't burn the bridge. If questioned about it I'd definitely use the line of "I stuck it out as long as I could there, but towards the end of my tenure there was just no more opportunity for advancement in my position." Typically it's the standard "Cover my ass because that job treated me like shit" response that people use.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Don't worry something similar happened to me, I landed a new job leaving my old one of 3 years (thats tenure for them). Basically they let me go after a month being employed, I got axed. I was miserable even burn out (as some people mention) so I decided I am going to grad school and see where that takes me. Sometimes things happen for a reason.

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    A new twist:
    I gave a three week notice, supposedly ending my job at the end of next week. I was just told today that I would be asked to move up the date of my departure to the end of this week because the company is about to go through layoffs and they "don't want questions about me staying on another week when several others will be forced to leave this week." I have not signed anything nor seen anything in writing regarding this other than a company-wide email that the president of the company sent last week, essentially stating that the company is not doing well and would be needing to cut overhead. I'm not overhead, but still...

So, would I be eligible for unemployment now? In my view, while I gave my resignation, they've essentially told me that they have plans to end my employment ahead of my effective date. I haven't signed anything saying that I agree to this.

Rahant on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    I doubt it. You resigned prior to the request that you leave a little early, and with that they're under no obligation to keep you for that time, afaik.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    ceres wrote: »
    I doubt it. You resigned prior to the request that you leave a little early, and with that they're under no obligation to keep you for that time, afaik.

I think they're required to give severance if they terminate you earlier than your notice. However, that's largely based on my past experiences with being asked to leave and entirely what's in your contract. However, you would be eligible for very brief unemployment (at least in NY as I've done this, they approved me for 3 weeks unemployment since my other job didn't start for about a month and a half). At will states are pretty fucked up and let some pretty bad things happen to employees sometimes.

It doesn't hurt to apply, the worst that'll happen is they turn you down.

bowen on