As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What 'Mech game should I go with?

piLpiL Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Critical Failures
So I've decided that I want to run a mech game for some of my friends, and I want to know what's the dealio. I have some Mechwarrior (third edition) and Battletech books and am all set to do that, but it got me thinking: What other mech games are out there. Are any up to snuff with Battletech, or even better? I sort of wanted a more armored core feel with specific parts and what not for people to gear up, and I'm not sure if that exists.

Also, I'm not so keen on the MW universe. While I loved playing in it, and love the intrigue and what not, I sort of dislike how everything is played out already. I sort of want a universe that's not all over already. I suppose I could set the game after Dark Ages. I'm not up to date though; have they released supplemental material for DA and after?

Finally, Heavy Gear is the only other mech game I know of. My golden pedestal for mech action was Starsiege. I felt so involved and slung around there, and would love a game that would help in that regard.

Thanks much!

piL on

• Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I know D20 future has some mech type stuff in it - but Battletech is pretty awesome in of itself. With the supplaments, it's easy to create good political intrigue and action.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    Jolly-ollyJolly-olly Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    if you want an armoured core feel, just run an elementals campaign.

Jolly-olly on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Palladium books produced Robotech, macross and rifts, all of which are interchangeable (with a little effort) and offer a plethora of mecha and powered armor. Just remember: a shit load of them are in the sourcebooks of which there are 50 or 60. :wink:

Gaddez on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Heavy Gear, and Jovian Chronicles both spring to mind as excellent mecha games. Big Eyes Small Mouth has plenty of rules for making your own, although it's a generic system, so has no cool official setting to go along with it.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    wateyadwateyad Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Mekton Zeta?

Please note that I know nothing of this game other than that it exists.

wateyad on
  • Options
    MoridanMoridan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    If I were going to run a Mech game, I'd use:

GURPS 4th edition http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/
    Traveller: Interstellar Wars http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/traveller/interstellarwars/
    GURPS Space http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/space/

Tact-Tiles http://bc-products.net/
    Reaper CAV Miniatures http://www.reapermini.com/gallery/cav

Moridan on
    Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary
    opinion is wishful thinking at its worst.
    - Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    jdarksun wrote:
    Moridan wrote:
    If I were going to run a Mech game, I'd use GURPS.
    :^: Same. The 3rd ed. GURPS Mechs book is fuckawesome, assuming you love physics, math, and building stuff yourself.

While I haven't seen the 3rd edition Mechs book, I'd say that the massive list of Advantages/Disadvantages in the core book would provide the creative GM all he needs.

Moridan on
    Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary
    - Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Thanks for the advice all, I'm not really quite settled yet, so I'm asking the players; probably the worst thing I can do.

piL on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I'd also recommend GURPS simply because it is the last RPG you'll ever need to buy. Seriously, you really can play any genre with it.

Moridan on
    - Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    AsumaAsuma Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    jdarksun wrote:
    Moridan wrote:
    jdarksun wrote:
    Moridan wrote:
    If I were going to run a Mech game, I'd use GURPS.
    :^: Same. The 3rd ed. GURPS Mechs book is fuckawesome, assuming you love physics, math, and building stuff yourself.
    While I haven't seen the 3rd edition Mechs book, I'd say that the massive list of Advantages/Disadvantages in the core book would provide the creative GM all he needs.
    I mainly mentioned it for the hardcore Mech creation rules contained therein. It's like GURPS Vehicles. ...which doesn't help if you don't know GURPS Vehicles.

Each book for GURPS is like having to learn a new, different, and detailed rule system. They all mesh perfectly well together (because they all follow the same patterns - it's like a beautiful fractal RPG), but there's still a fuckton of rules to learn.

But they're beautiful, beautiful rules.

This is exactly the reason I wouldn't recommend GURPS for a mecha game. I'm a big fan of GURPS. Own a couple dozen 3e sourcebooks (including mecha), and am starting to collect 4e. Currently playing a 4e campaign too. But for mecha? Ugh. The 3e creation system just gets in the way of having fun. I love love love designing mecha and playing with the math but its painful to learn all that, even for a hardcore simulation lover like myself.

If you want something that's fast, easy, fun, and relatively sane, I suggest Mekton Zeta. Only try GURPS mecha if you're already familiar and invested in that system.

Asuma on
    "Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right, you meet the same idiots coming around from the left." -- Clint Eastwood ***
  • Options
    AsumaAsuma Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    piL wrote:
    So I've decided that I want to run a mech game for some of my friends, and I want to know what's the dealio. I have some Mechwarrior (third edition) and Battletech books and am all set to do that, but it got me thinking: What other mech games are out there. Are any up to snuff with Battletech, or even better? I sort of wanted a more armored core feel with specific parts and what not for people to gear up, and I'm not sure if that exists.

Also, I'm not so keen on the MW universe. While I loved playing in it, and love the intrigue and what not, I sort of dislike how everything is played out already. I sort of want a universe that's not all over already. I suppose I could set the game after Dark Ages. I'm not up to date though; have they released supplemental material for DA and after?

Finally, Heavy Gear is the only other mech game I know of. My golden pedestal for mech action was Starsiege. I felt so involved and slung around there, and would love a game that would help in that regard.

Heavy Gear was a fun mech game for me. Played two campaigns. The system is pretty simple, there's tons of background pre-made (without deciding the story for you), the setting is very gritty/militaristic, and there's lots of mechs from which to choose.

Asuma on
    "Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right, you meet the same idiots coming around from the left." -- Clint Eastwood ***
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    One More For GURPS!

Also when I played, the core book had a mini solo adventure at the end of the book for you to get used to feel of it.

It's simple, fun, and GURPS, as said earlier, is the last RPG you will ever need.

Algertman on
  • Options
    Juergen HubertJuergen Hubert Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I like GURPS as much as the next guy, but the old GURPS Vehicles frankly scared me - as did the virtual Cult that grew up around it. Still, if you like massive amounts of detail in vehicle creation, then it might be for you.

And hey, the vehicle design rules for 4E haven't been released yet, though that is supposed to happen soon - maybe they are less complex.

And GURPS is a very fine system otherwise...

Juergen Hubert on
    UrbisBanner.jpg