As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

THIS IS NO LONGER THE LEFT 4 DEAD THREAD. DON'T POST HERE IDIOTS. LOCK ME!

• Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've been freaking out about this game for a while now.
    The more press releases that come out, the higher the freak out level.
    The day this game comes out, I will burn all other games. This game will be that amazing.

Smashism on
  • Options
    TigTig Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I just realised that this whole game is basically that part from Episode 1 where you're waiting for the lift in a carpark with the lights switched off.

I hated that part.

Tig on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2008
    This is gonna rock so hard on LANs.

Echo on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I was really looking forward to this when they were talking about cross platform multiplayer, as most of my friends don't bother with PC gaming and only play 360. I'm still interested, but disappointed that I won't be able to play with/against my console buddies. Seems like a really fun idea for a game.

Terrible idea for an FPS. Only way to make it remotely balanced is to nerf the accuracy out of everything, i.e. Shadowrun.

Anyway I'm looking forward to this game but I hope the server interface is good. I like playing on dedicated servers like the PA ones, and it sucked in games like Splinter Cell not being able to have any easy community features because the games were too small.

Zek on
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My biggest hope is they end up allowing split-screen multiplayer on the X-box. I have a friend who is a big fan of zombie apocalypse movies, and the ability to try surviving in this game with him playing next to me would be great.

Here's hoping...

Endaro on
  • Options
    IshbuIshbu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ohhh man I can't wait. Co-op makes any kind of game, even a bad game, great. Now throw in zombies? We've got a winner/must buy. I've been playing freaking Aegis Wing (which is actually a fantastic game) to get my co-op fix on my 360. Now all I have to do is convince enough friends to buy it on 360 and not on PC.

Ishbu on
    Play my game and serve beer to angry dwarves: The Tavern
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Tig wrote: »
    I just realised that this whole game is basically that part from Episode 1 where you're waiting for the lift in a carpark with the lights switched off.

I hated that part.

I know, isn't great that you'll scream like a girl with your friends right there?

Xtarath on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dammit. Fairly sure now my computer and connection won't be up to this.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Not to be mean, but whoever is playing in those GT videos is almost comically bad.

"A giant zombie is bowling over my teammates and ignoring me. I'll run away by myself and get rape-strangled."

"Oh hey my friends are getting mauled by zombies while I'm on a turret. I'll just let them die and then get mauled myself."

"My HUD indicates damage from behind me, and my teammates are yelling BEHIND YOU I better not turn around it could be a trick!"

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Are we playing this game yet, or what?

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Not to be mean, but whoever is playing in those GT videos is almost comically bad.

"A giant zombie is bowling over my teammates and ignoring me. I'll run away by myself and get rape-strangled."

"Oh hey my friends are getting mauled by zombies while I'm on a turret. I'll just let them die and then get mauled myself."

"My HUD indicates damage from behind me, and my teammates are yelling BEHIND YOU I better not turn around it could be a trick!"

Previews that show people playing always include the most incompetent gamers ever seen. Regardless of what is actually previewed who ever is playing will always be absolutely terrible.

It's just one of those things.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Endaro wrote: »
    My biggest hope is they end up allowing split-screen multiplayer on the X-box. I have a friend who is a big fan of zombie apocalypse movies, and the ability to try surviving in this game with him playing next to me would be great.

Here's hoping...

I wouldn't hold your breath.

Drool on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Those were hilarious. I like to think that that is what will happen to all the 13-year-old thugs on XBL who have no concept of teamwork, thus keeping them on the zombie side of things.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm assuming some of you have heard or played a little of the Half-Life 2 mod, Zombie Panic? It's okay for what it is, but what I'm really looking forward to most about this is the encouraged cooperative play. In ZP, you can just horde the best guns and ammo, barricade yourself up in a good location, and wait it out. And by that, I mean other people, because half the time I'm playing survivor I'm running around trying to find any gun that has ammo still in it.

Masonite on
  • Options
    NiqleNiqle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Masonite wrote: »
    I'm assuming some of you have heard or played a little of the Half-Life 2 mod, Zombie Panic? It's okay for what it is, but what I'm really looking forward to most about this is the encouraged cooperative play. In ZP, you can just horde the best guns and ammo, barricade yourself up in a good location, and wait it out. And by that, I mean other people, because half the time I'm playing survivor I'm running around trying to find any gun that has ammo still in it.

I'm AWFUL at making barricades in this mod, I normally end up like you and running from the zombies emptying all my guns and then chasing the other survivors. :(

Niqle on
  • Options
    UberEvUberEv Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    They want to "test" their game for perfection? I know a perfect way. Release a freaking beta, we'll all test it for them for months straight.

UberEv on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The new boomer slime effect is awesome.
    And I loved the part in the gamevideos clip where the guy kills his own teammate with a bomb. Shit like that better not happen during the real zombie apocalypse.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

Here's hoping...

"L4D Xbox 360: Split-screen! - 6/23/08
    According to the official Xbox website, the Xbox 360 version of Left 4 Dead will feature split-screen play! From the product info:

Players: 1-2
    Players Co-op: 1-2
    System Link: 2-4
    Xbox Live Players: 2-8
    Xbox Live Players Co-op: 1-4
    This is the first confirmation of split-screen, in the past they had only expressed the desire but were unsure if they could overcome the technical hurdles."

http://www.left4dead411.com/

I really want to get this when it comes out, just hope my PC can handle it. I also hope my friend's PCs can handle it since fighting zombies is always better with a couple friends. It certainly looks hard as hell though (although I'm pretty sure I won't be running into a dark car park by myself as my allies get mauled by a giant zombie tank).

You also better believe I'm always going to be the Vietnam vet. who always has a cigarette in his mouth. Always.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Domhnall wrote: »
    I really want to get this when it comes out, just hope my PC can handle it. I also hope my friend's PCs can handle it since fighting zombies is always better with a couple friends. It certainly looks hard as hell though (although I'm pretty sure I won't be running into a dark car park by myself as my allies get mauled by a giant zombie tank).

You also better believe I'm always going to be the Vietnam vet. who always has a cigarette in his mouth. Always.

Hopefully they'll keep the system requirements at the same level as The Orange Box.

I actually kinda hope that the matchmaking features they're making for L4D also get put into existing Source multiplayer games, even if they might not be fit for automatic matchmaking.

Peewi on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Here's hoping...

"L4D Xbox 360: Split-screen! - 6/23/08
    According to the official Xbox website, the Xbox 360 version of Left 4 Dead will feature split-screen play! From the product info:

Players: 1-2
    Players Co-op: 1-2
    System Link: 2-4
    Xbox Live Players: 2-8
    Xbox Live Players Co-op: 1-4
    This is the first confirmation of split-screen, in the past they had only expressed the desire but were unsure if they could overcome the technical hurdles."

http://www.left4dead411.com/

IIRC they said that the players are going to be random, to prevent people fighting over stuff like that. There can only be those four and no replicas.

subedii on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ashendark wrote: »
    Good news! In this interview with Michael Booth he says the release date is November 4th for both PC and 360.

It's slated to be released on my birthday! Yay!
    Although I'd be even happier if they released it NOW

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    DO WANT.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Day one purchase for me.

Split screen co-op = hells yes.

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Day one purchase for me.

Zombies = hells yes.

fix'd

I, just hope that the PvP mode is as awesome as the co-op mode is shaping up to be.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    IshbuIshbu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I played Zombie panic for half life 1, and while it was super fun at times it could also be incredibly lame. Basically what would happen is all the survivors would just climb something really high up and wait there. So if you're the zombie you couldn't get up at all, because they would get up there by stacking on top of each other (sucks for the guy on the bottom). So then as a zombie you got to spend the next twenty minutes of your gaming life jumping and getting shot in the face by shotgunners who were unreachable.

Hopefully with Left for Dead they will ensure that the humans have to be running around so stuff like this doesn't happen. Hiding is all well and good, but force people to relocate.

Ishbu on
    Play my game and serve beer to angry dwarves: The Tavern
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ishbu wrote: »

I played Zombie panic for half life 1, and while it was super fun at times it could also be incredibly lame. Basically what would happen is all the survivors would just climb something really high up and wait there. So if you're the zombie you couldn't get up at all, because they would get up there by stacking on top of each other (sucks for the guy on the bottom). So then as a zombie you got to spend the next twenty minutes of your gaming life jumping and getting shot in the face by shotgunners who were unreachable.

Hopefully with Left for Dead they will ensure that the humans have to be running around so stuff like this doesn't happen. Hiding is all well and good, but force people to relocate.

Shouldn't be a problem considering the survivor's only goal is to get from point A to point B. Also if for whatever reason you were camping the AI director would probably send tons of zombies at you until you're out of bullets.

Drool on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35430.html

HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS THIS VIDEO OH GOD IT LOOKS SO GOOD WHY DO WE HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL NOVEMBER

Lemming on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh God, the end was just perfect.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    mmm, yes

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    UberEvUberEv Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I fixed up the OP a little bit and gave the thread a zippy new title. I do this for you, the consumer.

Edit: Added very important information contributed by Lemming to the OP.

Edit 2: Just can't leave that OP alone.

UberEv on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    subedii wrote: »

IIRC they said that the players are going to be random, to prevent people fighting over stuff like that. There can only be those four and no replicas.

Ah well, fair enough I suppose. I shall always hope to be kickass Vietnam vet. though.

That video was great, I imagine it'd be quite nerve wracking going around knowing that zombies are close with your character telling you that they're about to die every so often with real fear in their voice.

November 4th...It's not really that far away..

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So what do people think about the new character designs?

They make sense from a game play standpoint, but I kind of miss the old designs.

Also, playing properly?
    They left that poor biker stumbling behind for like 10 minutes while the other 3 ran ahead killing things.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think it looks pretty great.

Even though I'm not too fond of The Biker, I won't complain if I have to play as him.

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    New videos! yeah!

I am so excited about this game; have not been this stoked about a game in a long time...
    I'll probably end up buying a new computer for this.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    zimfan wrote: »

Even though I'm not too fond of The Biker, I won't complain if I have to play as him.

The black dude looks much better now. He totally reminds me of that scientist guy from terminator 2. You know when he has the detonator in his hand?

Anyways, I do like the designs, even though the biker looks less badass and more "bear" :winky:

Smashism on
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Smashism wrote: »
    zimfan wrote: »

The black dude looks much better now. He totally reminds me of that scientist guy from terminator 2. You know when he has the detonator in his hand?

Anyways, I do like the designs, even though the biker looks less badass and more "bear" :winky:

Yeah, I agree.

Except you know, on the bear thing, I don't, I'm not....

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I used to think the biker looked cool. Now not so much.

I think they overall look too clean now. Before they all looked like they were trying to survive and have been through hell, now it looks like they are just having a stroll through zombie land.
    Especially Zoe in her bright clean sweater.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I used to think the biker looked cool. Now not so much.

I think they overall look too clean now. Before they all looked like they were trying to survive and have been through hell, now it looks like they are just having a stroll through zombie land.
    Especially Zoe in her bright clean sweater.

It don't look so clean after it's been puked on though. Urgh. :lol:

subedii on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    If they just added some blood here and there and maybe some bandages I think it would look better.

Also that puke was really gross.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
This discussion has been closed.