As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Frostmourne contest entry

PoojipooPoojipoo __BANNED USERS regular
edited July 2008 in Artist's Corner
Hey, guys! I figured I'd toss up my entry in to the Frostmourne contest over here. What'cha think? :D

frostmourne_FINAL_small.jpg

Poojipoo on

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't know what Frostmourne is, but you win it.

MKR on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That's looking awesome, dude. The colours, composition and rendering are all fantastic. How long did it take you?

Brolo on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You're not afraid someone will nick it? Or did you already submit it?

Aldo on
  • Options
    Kamikaze PurpleKamikaze Purple Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    FROSTMOURNE HUNGERS!111

Those colors are awesome. Only thing-- and this is being reeeeally nitpicky-- is that I don't quite understand Arthas' expression. He seems like he's smiling, but his mouth isn't curved enough to be a smile, but he's also gritting his teeth with rage? I mean, other than that, this is rad.

Kamikaze Purple on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    FROSTMOURNE HUNGERS!111

Those colors are awesome. Only thing-- and this is being reeeeally nitpicky-- is that I don't quite understand Arthas' expression. He seems like he's smiling, but his mouth isn't curved enough to be a smile, but he's also gritting his teeth with rage? I mean, other than that, this is rad.
    I do believe this is his "mad with power"-look.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Hehe, Aldo pretty much said it. Arthas is kind of a dick, so I went with a smile that's a little bit crazy, a little bit cocky, etc. :) Also, Aldo: I submitted the pic before I put it anywhere online, so I'm not too terribly afraid of anyone grabbin' it. :D

Rolo: I started the picture about two weeks ago and I've been kicking it around here and there after work, so I haven't kept very good track of how many hours I've put in to it... If I had to take a guess I'd say somewhere around 25 though, which is longer than I'd prefer, but oh well. :)

Poojipoo on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Nice stuff man! I really like that captain capitalism, and the ken/ryu on your DA page too!

Keep posting man!

Sublimus on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Why do you not post here more often?

Tam on
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The composition is really striking. The way you manipulated the color/light and fore/mid-ground objects really keeps this piece interesting and not just another piece of fan art. Great work and good luck.

supabeast on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This is pretty nice work. The lighting is really well done and the rendering is decent all around--Arthas' armor looks great. His fist gripping Frostmourne is a little too rectangular though--the knuckles are a bit too flat and straight, his fingers too parallel.

The falling snow probably could have been handled a bit better. The flakes themselves are sparse and they look somewhat rushed and unconvincing.

Arthas's presence totally dominates this piece compositionally--the Frostmourne practically disappears in the center, lost amid the exact same colors and values that occupy the rest of the scene. In the end it's a matter of taste since you technically meet the "Arthas+Frostmourne" requirement, but personally I would have placed an equal or even greater compositional focus on Frostmourne itself, which considering the sword is what's driving Arthas in the end could have added another level of interesting complexity to the image.

The storytelling here could probably have been a bit more focused as well. There is no real discernible narrative. It seems like you were going for Arthas lording over his horrible hordes, possibly meeting some plucky heroes who would try to topple him on his frozen throne, but really there is no detail to suggest any action going on here. Just two skeletons and an abomination chilling behind him. Some more undead soldiers shambling to the front lines and possibly some flying artillery or arrows streaking across the sky could go a long way toward making this image more exciting.

You've done the hard work by compelling me to want to study the image, but now you've got to have something there for me to discover. Putting in little details that your viewers can hunt for and gain even deeper appreciation is the mark of a truly great illustration IMO.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    yeah so I can see you winning. but I'll do something ten times better up in mspaint just to give you a run for your money.

also thats the small version, according to the file name? I want to see the large one.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Poojipoo wrote: »
    Hey, guys! I figured I'd toss up my entry in to the Frostmourne contest over here. What'cha think? :D

Holy crap! That is badass dude! I'm lovin' it.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    beautiful rendition, however I feel the weakest point is his hair. Right now it looks too much like a solid mass, adding a bit more detail will really make it pop as one of the defining features that they seem to be putting a focus on on the lich king website is his wispy, flowing hair.

Also i feel the castle should be moved back a little to better frame frostmourne. It's supposed to be the focal point in the image and right now it sort of forms a tangent with the pillar of the castle closest to the viewer. It ends up sort of confusing the viewer. This will be completely fixed I think if you simply push the castle back a bit.

really nice work though, I'm really digging the lighting and texturing.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Nice crits, guys! Ya'll pretty much nailed it, haha. Frostmourne gets sucked in to that background. I actually made some last minute tweaks to help that before submitting, but thinking about it I could have taken that background and nudged it to the right a couple times and it'd helped a ton, hahah... Oh well, live and learn, maybe I'll make the adjustment just for me. :D

Poojipoo on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I like how it looks like Frostmourne just cast a frost nova... which is exactly what I would expect Frostmourne to do.

Very, very awesome.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    The LittleMan In The BoatThe LittleMan In The Boat Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Poojipoo wrote: »
    Nice crits, guys! Ya'll pretty much nailed it, haha. Frostmourne gets sucked in to that background. I actually made some last minute tweaks to help that before submitting, but thinking about it I could have taken that background and nudged it to the right a couple times and it'd helped a ton, hahah... Oh well, live and learn, maybe I'll make the adjustment just for me. :D

Can you make those adjustments for me too? I'm a wow fan boy, and its usually what's on my desktop. I would love to use this as a wallpaper. <3 Really love the piece man.

The LittleMan In The Boat on
    yerf.jpg
    I don't suffer from Insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That is bad-the-fuck-ass!! I am utterly in awe.

That said, I also have a reeeeealy minor crit. The teal highlights on his armor are brighter in their brightest points than the radiant energy glow surrounding his hand is in its brightest point. Since the glow is the light source, shouldn't the light source be brighter than the reflections of it? You might add some brighter colors (maybe approaching white) into the hand-glow.

Just a thought.

erisian pope on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's an ABOMINATION!
    No really there's an abomination

Really cool man, I love the contrast between the snowy/evil darkness on the left and the firey/sunny feel to the right.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That's pretty awesome. Good luck in the contest.

About the only thing I saw that was confusing was the lack of consistency in the wind. The flags in the background are blowing sort of to the right while Arthas' hair is blowing to the left and back away from the viewer and then, for even more confusion, his loincloth or whatever that's called is blowing left and towards the viewer, as is the mist around Frostmourne.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You've done the hard work by compelling me to want to study the image, but now you've got to have something there for me to discover. Putting in little details that your viewers can hunt for and gain even deeper appreciation is the mark of a truly great illustration IMO.

Scos, you always make the coolest comments.

Mustang on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Slightly Flawed Victory!

Sword too dark. Way too dark. I also would have put some highlights on the surface of the ice to help with creating some depth. But man, this is awesome.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hey, I just noticed that this picture won first runner-up in the contest. I remembered seeing and liking it before, so I thought I'd come say congratulations.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Aye, well done mate!

Grenn on
  • Options
    anthonygoesanthonygoes Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    this painting is totally sick!
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Arthas's presence totally dominates this piece compositionally--the Frostmourne practically disappears in the center, lost amid the exact same colors and values that occupy the rest of the scene.

i think this problem can be easily fixed by lightening the values behind frostmourne: just extend the background castle's light-side further to our left so the sword is nicely silhouetted in front of it.

anthonygoes on