As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[spoilers] for [spoiler] tags

agoajagoaj Top TierOne FearRegistered User regular
Would it be possible to have [spoilers] and
work the same to both bring up spoiler tags. It seems to be the most common mistake with hand typed spoiler tags.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
agoaj on

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    agoaj wrote: »
    work the same to both bring up spoiler tags. It seems to be the most common mistake with hand typed spoiler tags.
    What about [spilorer], [spoilre], [spioler] and [spoiler[?

Aldo on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2008
    The safest thing to do is to just have every post in spoilers.

Tube on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

People posting anything with hand typed tags should use Preview Post. It is a great feature.

Seg on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Seg wrote: »

People posting anything with hand typed tags should use Preview Post. It is a great feature.

Are you suggesting the gameFAQs system where you have to preview post before you can actually post?

[spoylars]It didn't work.[slash spaylors]

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008

Are you suggesting the gameFAQs system where you have to preview post before you can actually post?

No, it's a suggestion that you aren't an idiot before you post. Did you hand type tags? Hit the 'preview post' button instead of the 'submit reply' button to check if you typed correctly. Is it really that big of a deal?

Satan. on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Satan. wrote: »

No, it's a suggestion that you aren't an idiot before you post. Did you hand type tags? Hit the 'preview post' button instead of the 'submit reply' button to check if you typed correctly. Is it really that big of a deal?

If someone isn't using the buttons, why would they use the preview? It's just a little extra protection in the system to stop people from freaking out like with MGS4.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If someone isn't using the buttons, why would they use the preview?

To ensure that in indulging their quaint prediliction for writing out the tags, they didn't fuck it up?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008

If someone isn't using the buttons, why would they use the preview? It's just a little extra protection in the system to stop people from freaking out like with MGS4.

Hit tab twice instead of once, and then hit the spacebar? I don't use the buttons and I'm not incompetent.

Satan. on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

If some guy can't figure out how to use Preview Post before using hand typed spoilers, that guy deserves the punishment that is a result of not using the spoiler system properly.

Seg on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man, I do not understand all this hate for people who type tags. Although up until right this second I didn't even notice the spoiler button right there in the quick reply box.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How about, as a better suggestion, the Spoiler tag has title frame akin to the quote tag
    . That way I know that
    Jesus Dies in the bible
    and not be fucking surprised by asshats who post unattributed spoilers forcing me to participate in spoiler russian roulette.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    How about, as a better suggestion, the Spoiler tag has title frame akin to the quote tag
    . That way I know that
    Jesus Dies in the bible
    and not be fucking surprised by asshats who post unattributed spoilers forcing me to participate in spoiler russian roulette.

This happens a lot in G&T and is pretty frustrating.

Henroid on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    . That way I know that
    Jesus Dies in the bible

This would actually be a great idea

Impersonator on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    . That way I know that
    Jesus Dies in the bible

Unfortunately this probably wouldn't help much. You can just put a label in front of the spoilers already, and the people who don't do that are the same ones who would ignore the new feature in the first place.

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Smasher wrote: »
    . That way I know that
    Jesus Dies in the bible

Unfortunately this probably wouldn't help much. You can just put a label in front of the spoilers already, and the people who don't do that are the same ones who would ignore the new feature in the first place.

Ah, but with such a change, idiots can be infracted. Much like they should be presently.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    Man, I do not understand all this hate for people who type tags. Although up until right this second I didn't even notice the spoiler button right there in the quick reply box.
    What hate? There hasn't been any hate at all. Just the acknowledgment that if you don't use the button that automatically does the whole process correctly, you should, y'know, maybe check to make sure you didn't fuck it up by using the preview button. A solution infinitely easier to implement than changing the coding for spoiler tags.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    . That way I know that
    Jesus Dies in the bible

Ah, but with such a change, idiots can be infracted. Much like they should be presently.
    We do infract for that.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Henroid wrote: »
    . That way I know that
    Jesus Dies in the bible

This happens a lot in G&T and is pretty frustrating.

Then you dare complain that someone could give a little context for their spoiler, and get shouted at. Fun times.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i just wish that there would be a quick spoiler button in the edit post section (not going advanced in edit post), i made a thread about it in here but it got ignored, so i figured they didn't give much of a shit about it, but it would be handy.

i find myself often going 'oh man i should have spoiled that' and having to hand type spoiler tags, and if you make a typo then people freak out and it takes too long and blah.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    . That way I know that
    Jesus Dies in the bible

We do infract for that.

Fooled me.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2008
    If people are (rightfully) punished for not realizing that the anti-hotlink image is goatse before they post shit, then they should be likewise punished for other similarly stupid behavior.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    . That way I know that
    Jesus Dies in the bible
    We do infract for that.
    Fooled me.
    You have reported something for being a spoiler exactly once, it wasn't even in tags, and the person who posted it got a serious infraction.

By which I mean to say: 100% of the spoiler tags posted without context that you reported got infracted.

Hell, 10,000% of the spoiler tags posted without context that you reported got infracted.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    . That way I know that
    Jesus Dies in the bible
    We do infract for that.
    Fooled me.
    You have reported something for being a spoiler exactly once, it wasn't even in tags, and the person who posted it got a serious infraction.

By which I mean to say: 100% of the spoiler tags posted without context that you reported got infracted.

Hell, 10,000% of the spoiler tags posted without context that you reported got infracted.

Man, damn you Than, you cut me to the quick. I'm a busy man and don't have time to report everything. There's just rampant ignorance of the rule, its frustrating.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    We do infract for that.
    Fooled me.

Man, damn you Than, you cut me to the quick. I'm a busy man and don't have time to report everything. There's just rampant ignorance of the rule, its frustrating.
    It takes less time to report a post than it does to read one.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Does it?
    I kid, I kid, stop with the hitting![s/poiler]

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2008
    As long as we're talking about spoilers, I would love a return to the "don't fuck with spoiler tags" rule. Or the re-introduction of the realspoiler tag. It seemed like it was working well before.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There are people who don't hand-type codes? Like, lots of them?

In all my years..

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]