As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fucking Cheaters

• UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Engineering seems to be the standard degree for people who don't know what they want to be but know that they want to make money. At my college orientation there were dozens of retards slated to take it - I'd like to see how they're faring after their first couple of math courses.

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • TelekineticTelekinetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well then if you're not a faggot I guess you just don't belong here.

that is quite possible

/goes back to lurking creepily

Telekinetic on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Boo-hoo.

If I'm in a class full of cheaters, I'm not taking the moral high ground and getting fucked over in the process. If you want to do that, that's your choice.
    Yeah I think we've covered this. You're a lazy douche who can't keep up without cheating, we get it.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I love cheaters because theyre always like "Man my life is so tough."

Haha so is mine cock sucker but I still find time to study. Get over yourself.

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    sorry, brah, can't study, gotta make sure i iron the sweet collar on my polo and stop by to grab some roofies for the kegger tonight

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited June 2008
    I guess the thing about cheating that irks most people is really not rooted in the practical applications but in how it speaks of the person who does it.

First, it indicates entitlement: I may not have what it takes to pass this course within the bounds set by the professor, but I deserve to get the grade I want anyway. I think we've all encountered a million times over the kids who go "this test is too hard! I worked hard but I still got a C!" Well that sucks but working hard doesn't mean you necessarily comprehended and internalized the material. Especially today, our generation seems consumed with the idea that we deserve everything handed to us on a silver platter, and if anything is too hard for us to obtain, then we can take shortcuts or someone else should make it easier.

Second, arrogance: The professor, with years of training in their field and knowledge of academic theory, decides that this is the best way to gauge my performance and understanding. I, as a student, decide I know better. Oddly enough, my superior judgment coincides perfectly with my own self-interest.

Third, jadedness/cynicism: I don't care about this material, I won't use it -- if curricula has no immediate or material value to me, then it is worthless. There is nothing inherently useful about becoming a more educated human being, there is nothing inherently valuable about knowledge.

I think most of the people on this board look down on all these attributes, and rightfully so.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Umaro wrote: »
    Engineering seems to be the standard degree for people who don't know what they want to be but know that they want to make money. At my college orientation there were dozens of retards slated to take it - I'd like to see how they're faring after their first couple of math courses.

They all bomb out. Science is the same way. In chemistry it's by the end of the 3rd semester. Some pass Chem 101, some more pass Chem 102. The 3rd semester however is Organic chemistry. If you don't have the stones, you will not pass it.

Then they become business majors or go into social work.

Hunter on
    edited June 2008
    Hunter wrote: »

They all bomb out. Science is the same way. In chemistry it's by the end of the 3rd semester. Some pass Chem 101, some more pass Chem 102. The 3rd semester however is Organic chemistry. If you don't have the stones, you will not pass it.

most of the engineers who dropped out in my school became communications majors

lostwords on
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I would love to do some hard science but I know I don't have the attention or dedication for it.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
    edited June 2008
    lostwords wrote: »

most of the engineers who dropped out in my school became communications majors

Every other program makes fun of the art program. The art program makes fun of the mass comm program. That says something right there.

Tasteticle on

edited June 2008
    And then you get those really defensive mass comm students that are like "HEY FUCK YOU MAN I AM GOING TO BE A JOURNALIST" yeah ok have fun taking my order at Denny's in 4 years.

Tasteticle on

• IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    Jimothy wrote: »

So in other words, he worked smarter, not harder.

That is generally how I think of it.

If you don't cheat at all, that's something you can be proud of. If you had to, it probably only helped a little bit, at most it is the difference between a C and a D. No one gets through school by relying on cheating, and you aren't going to pass at all if you haven't learned the majority of the material.

So I have no problem with letting people cheat, because no one is suddenly going to get straight A's that they don't deserve. Not possible.

You ever heard of a curve?
    Douchebag frosted-tip asian #47 and all his buddies cheat on the exam.
    I don't.
    My grade goes down.
    Fuck cheaters and the rationalizations they rode in and out of college on.

oh dang that's how it works?
    so if i 100% a test, i drop everyone elses grades even lower? D:

Is this supposed to be sarcasm?
    Because yes, that is how a curve works.
    er no, i never really bothered looking into curving
    i always assumed it raised people's grades. it would explain why everyone always asks for one...

oh okay stim

OK lets get this straight a curve is set up so that the score range that most of the people in the class got becomes a C. It is not affected by the highest score. Highest scores are outliers and do not affect the range of the curve. If everyone cheats and gets a 100 and you get an 70 then yes, you're fucked.

But if three people cheat? Not going to affect the curve that much.

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    being snooty about majors is the most asine shit in the universe

degrees are pretty inconsequential in the long run

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Is phony major!
    Lubchenko learn nothing!

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I can do maths though, so I'm sweet.

stimtokolos on
    edited June 2008
    If you're going to be a journalist, why not major in... journalism?

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
    edited June 2008
    IpseDixit wrote: »

If you don't cheat at all, that's something you can be proud of. If you had to, it probably only helped a little bit, at most it is the difference between a C and a D. No one gets through school by relying on cheating, and you aren't going to pass at all if you haven't learned the majority of the material.

So I have no problem with letting people cheat, because no one is suddenly going to get straight A's that they don't deserve. Not possible.

I don't.
    My grade goes down.

i always assumed it raised people's grades. it would explain why everyone always asks for one...

oh okay stim

OK lets get this straight a curve is set up so that the score range that most of the people in the class got becomes a C. It is not affected by the highest score. Highest scores are outliers and do not affect the range of the curve. If everyone cheats and gets a 100 and you get an 70 then yes, you're fucked.

There's more than one way to curve, dumbass.
    And "not that much" is still more than "none".

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
    edited June 2008

I don't.
    My grade goes down.

oh okay stim

You cheated to pass statistical analysis didn't you?

Sorry sport, but data points are data points. Cheating equals an inflated data point, which depending on what kind of statistical analysis you are doing can and will have an effect on the curve.

Hunter on
    edited June 2008

because having a general liberal arts degree gives you far more options than getting a very specific degree

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
    edited June 2008
    Little Jim wrote: »

Unless it's a philosophy degree.

Hunter on
    edited June 2008

because having a general liberal arts degree gives you far more options than getting a very specific degree

McDonalds vs Red Lobster, for instance

Tasteticle on

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

Really? I have not found that to be the case. How long run are we talking here?

Quoth on
    edited June 2008
    let's beat this dead horse

let's really give it a good thrashing

let's show this motherfucking horse what a beating really is

turns out you can have a great career without a degree, who fuckin' knew

this is why i want to kill all engineers

edit: what i mean is, that once you get into the field you're interested in, experience and specific job training are so much more important

having a degree shows your employer that you are willing to do the work in the first place, you will use almost nothing you learn from your degree in your real job (yes, including engineers!)

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
    edited June 2008
    Quoth wrote: »

Eventually we'll all be dead.
    What's your fancy degree gonna do for you then, eh college boy?

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
    edited June 2008

Jim, what's the square root of 0?

Hunter on
    edited June 2008
    Major in theater, minor in philosophy.

I just fuckin' hate my parents' money.

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008

Jesus

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

I don't.
    My grade goes down.

oh okay stim

Sorry sport, but data points are data points. Cheating equals an inflated data point, which depending on what kind of statistical analysis you are doing can and will have an effect on the curve.

Yeah but not that much of an effect, especially on the types of classes that usually do a curve (ie classes with a lot of students). If you're in a 30 person class? Then yes a curve will be ruined by cheaters. But I'v never had a class that curved the grade with that few amount of students.

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    beer guy is now in the same class as that dude that tried to justify speeding by saying that people that go the speed limit were impeding traffic (remember that faggot) and jacking off on sleeping chick dude

all of these are also below group 3 status
    that should tell you something

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
    edited June 2008

trick question: you suck cocks

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I got an A, they both got a B+ (due in part to their lab performance)
    Did it get you laid?

GungHo on
    edited June 2008

I don't.
    My grade goes down.

oh okay stim

Yeah but not that much of an effect, especially on the types of classes that usually do a curve (ie classes with a lot of students). If you're in a 30 person class? Then yes a curve will be ruined by cheaters. But I'v never had a class that curved the grade with that few amount of students.

Really...you're just not understanding statistics are you.

The effect is determined by the data set. Even minor changes can be significant depending on the set of values. Or it could be statistically within the standard deviation. It could happen either way in a class of 3, 5, or 105.

Either way...cheating is cheating. If you can't hack college then maybe it's not for you.

Hunter on
    edited June 2008
    look, sleeping chick was totally asking for it, right?

ugh

lostwords on
  • stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Quoth wrote: »

Eventually we'll all be dead.
    What's your fancy degree gonna do for you then, eh college boy?

Mausoleum.

Bed time. Yay.

stimtokolos on
    edited June 2008

trick question: you suck cocks

1.9999999 repeating can't equal 2 Jim

It's missing some.

Hunter on
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The serious question is whether or not there is an abstract realm of mathematical objects.

Prolegomena on
    edited June 2008
    lostwords wrote: »
    look, sleeping chick was totally asking for it, right?

ugh

souljaboby.jpg

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
    edited June 2008
    ahahaha is he holding a five??

Tasteticle on

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

edit: what i mean is, that once you get into the field you're interested in, experience and specific job training are so much more important

having a degree shows your employer that you are willing to do the work in the first place, you will use almost nothing you learn from your degree in your real job (yes, including engineers!)

Okay, so how do you get into the field without a degree? I understand that we are speaking in generalities here, and mileage may vary, so I'll throw out an example. My mom doesn't have a college degree, she's been working at the same place for about 20 years, and she's worked her way up as far as she can go because beyond that, her employer requires a degree. It doesn't matter how long she's been there or how much she knows, she can't be promoted further. She is being supervised by a n00b with a degree who knows less than she does. And I wouldn't be telling this story if I thought my mom was an idiot who didn't know shit, by the way.

So in what field is it still acceptable to not have a degree? Or are you saying that yes, you have to have a degree, but in the end that degree is just your entrance ticket to the job fair?

Quoth on
    edited June 2008
    Same story with my dad. Never went to college, has been doing good work at his place for over twenty years, and has over a dozen kids with business degrees and no idea how shit works ordering him around.

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg