As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xbox 360 Stuffs/Advice/Thingies

12346»

• Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Zoolander wrote:
    Ok, so for shits and giggles I tried out the Test Drive Unlimited demo.
    I think it may be the greatest racing game ever.

Hyperbole aside - is the full version's world populated at all?

I bought the full version for basically 20 bucks and I really like it,

it's seems more populated than the demo but it's a real cool game, very unique IMO.

Lothars on
  • Options
    malerikmalerik Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    hay guys, quick question which is semi-on semi-off topic. I gots me an old xbox and want to hook it up to my surround sound system, only i cant find anywhere that sells normal xbox stuff any more near me, do xbox 360 cables work with the old xbox?

malerik on
  • Options
    JWashkeJWashke Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Nope the ports are different.

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bdashbdash Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Just got a 360 and heard that playing demos can sometimes litter your account with unattainable achievements. Is this true? Like many a gamer I am slightly oc and that simply wouldn't do. :p

bdash on
    bdash gives his life not for honor but for you
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2007
    bdash wrote:
    Just got a 360 and heard that playing demos can sometimes litter your account with unattainable achievements. Is this true? Like many a gamer I am slightly oc and that simply wouldn't do. :p
    only XBLA demos. Commercial release demos do not mark your account in any way whatsoever.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    bdash wrote:

It will put the demo version in your games played list. So in a way that's definitely correct. A small price to pay though (imo) to know whether a game is crap or not.

Aoi on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Aoi wrote:
    bdash wrote:

It will put the demo version in your games played list. So in a way that's definitely correct. A small price to pay though (imo) to know whether a game is crap or not.

Still, only applies to Xbox Live Arcade games though. Full game demos are fine.

If you download them and play them on a seperate account on your 360, your "main" account will remain clean from their tempting stain.

I just don't download Arcade demos though, because I'd end up buying them all. I buy enough as it is. :)

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    bdashbdash Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Aoi wrote:
    bdash wrote:

Excellent suggestion. Cheers everyone.

bdash on
    bdash gives his life not for honor but for you
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So I've got some cash to spare and am caving under the temptation, I think I'll pick up a 360 next week. So that VGA cable gives you an HD picture? I'll definitely have to go for that then, my monitor is a lot better than my TV and more private to boot(dorm room). I could use that in conjunction with any cheap gadget that receives the audio signal for headphones, right?

Zek on
  • Options
    FarFar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hi,

Question, but first some context.

I have a ps2, xbox, & gamecube. Well...my xbox struggles to play games & I kinda gave my nephews my gamecube. So I guess I have ps2. I beat FF12, that was okay. The only thing I still really play is Winning Eleven.

So here comes the question.

Is the 360 worth the $500? Gears interests me. Is it really as good as it looks? Does the 'good' (not core) 360 come with component cables?

Many thanks.

Far on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Far wrote:
    Hi,

Question, but first some context.

I have a ps2, xbox, & gamecube. Well...my xbox struggles to play games & I kinda gave my nephews my gamecube. So I guess I have ps2. I beat FF12, that was okay. The only thing I still really play is Winning Eleven.

So here comes the question.

Is the 360 worth the $500? Gears interests me. Is it really as good as it looks? Does the 'good' (not core) 360 come with component cables?

Many thanks.
    Gears is really very good.
    The premium package does come with component cables.

I think looking at what it's got out now (Dead Rising, Oblivion, Gears of War) and what's coming out in the next couple years (Halo 3, Lost Planet, GTA4, Mass Effect, Too Human, Blue Dragon, Guitar Hero 2, Eternal Sonata, Resident Evil 5, Lost Odyssey, Bioshock, Crackdown, Alan Wake), 360 is definitely worth the money.

bruin on
  • Options
    DelinatorDelinator Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Is it possible that a wireless controller can only connect to the console it was first connected to? I ask this because I had to exchange my 360 due to overheating and since then the second controller doesn't connect anymore.

Delinator on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Delinator wrote:
    Is it possible that a wireless controller can only connect to the console it was first connected to? I ask this because I had to exchange my 360 due to overheating and since then the second controller doesn't connect anymore.

Did you sync it?

yalborap on
  • Options
    DelinatorDelinator Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Doh! It's working now, thanks :D

Delinator on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    very beginning starting owning a 360 question (not even opened the box)

what type of surge protector would you reccomend? something that protects everything including the video cables, or just a run of the mill 19$ surge protector?

also, should i be looking into any other hd cables other than what the 399.99 bundle comes with?

Barcardi on
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Barcardi wrote:
    very beginning starting owning a 360 question (not even opened the box)

what type of surge protector would you reccomend? something that protects everything including the video cables, or just a run of the mill 19$ surge protector?

also, should i be looking into any other hd cables other than what the 399.99 bundle comes with?

I don't think many people even bother with surge protectors, I personally do not. Unless you live in an area with an unbelieveably high charge, then its probable.

My HD cables are working fine, well, from what I can see anyway, they work damn fine.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ikillkennyikillkenny Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just got a 360, and now I'm looking to play some LAN games with some friends of mine (we have two additional 360 and about 5 controllers). What are some good recomendations for games with split screen LAN support (why does Rainbow Six Vegas not have this!?) that are fun besides Gears and GRAW? Do any XBLA games support LAN play?

ikillkenny on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm finding myself very, very tempted to grab Viva Pinata. I'm hesitant because I tend to find those sort of "sandbox" games (for lack of a better term) to be great fun for about 2 hours, then I get bored due to lack of direction. So, I ask...does Pinata have a reasonable amount of motivation, or is it alot of farting around without any real goal?

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    GoodOmens wrote:
    I'm finding myself very, very tempted to grab Viva Pinata. I'm hesitant because I tend to find those sort of "sandbox" games (for lack of a better term) to be great fun for about 2 hours, then I get bored due to lack of direction. So, I ask...does Pinata have a reasonable amount of motivation, or is it alot of farting around without any real goal?

I didn't like the Harvest Moon series or Black and White (the only two sandbox style games I can think of) but I love Viva Pinata.

And to the person asking about surge protectors, I use one for any outlet I connect electronics to, and I usually do the $20-30 model.

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    superninjasuperninja Registered User new member
    edited January 2007
    Does anyone know how to stream videos from a computer to the 360? I have Windows XP, not MCE, so basically I can only use TVersity or Windows Media Player 11. Unfortunately, WMP11 only allows you to stream .wmv files and most of my files are NOT .wmv, so that's a bummer. I never got TVersity to work at all even thought I followed all the directions on their site. Is there any other way to stream videos?

superninja on
    limitbreakerx.png
  • Options
    fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    In Gears of War, is there a way to quickly turn around (i.e. do a 180)? I occasionally find an enemy snuck behind me and it would be nice to be able to instantly do a 180 and be facing what used to be behind me.

fogeyman on
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    GoodOmens wrote:

Viva Pinata is one of the most addictive games that I have ever played. Very much worth the price.

Samphis on
  • Options
    PkoiPkoi Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    fogeyman wrote:
    In Gears of War, is there a way to quickly turn around (i.e. do a 180)? I occasionally find an enemy snuck behind me and it would be nice to be able to instantly do a 180 and be facing what used to be behind me.

Hold down and A and release. If you tap A, you'll roll backwards.

Pkoi on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pkoi wrote:
    fogeyman wrote:

That or just hold "down" on the analogue stick then press & hold "A".

You will turn on the spot and run in the opposite direction.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pkoi wrote:
    fogeyman wrote:

That or just hold "down" on the analogue stick then press & hold "A".

You will turn on the spot and run in the opposite direction.
    Sweet, thanks!

fogeyman on