As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Red Faction: Guerilla: Out Now! Hammers away!

XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Games and Technology
Red Faction: Guerilla

143454_packshot_l.jpg

There's not too much I can describe so I'll let the videos do the talking.

Links to trailers are other general goodness.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3166460

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/redfactioniii/news.html?sid=6188823&mode=previews

http://www.gamespot.com/video/944786/6188857/red-faction-guerilla-interview-with-rick-white

http://kotaku.com/5019067/red-faction-guerilla-footage

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/44936.html

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/882/882491/vids_1.html

http://gdc.gamespot.com/video/6206798/

On top of those

All the buildings are destructible.

And I mean every single one. Having played the demo I can say that each time you blow up a building I have never once witnessed two exactly the same.

But before we get deeper into that, let's talk about the basics. Guerilla is a third-person shooter and open world game. You can wander about taking down buildings or bridges at your leisure or go for the corrupt Earth Defence Force's main buildings to cause some real mayhem. From the humble sledge hammer to the mighty mining walker, that is a robot suit that was used for mining. It is now use for killing and destruction. You'll have an armory of a very will equipped miner. Remote charges, a smattering of guns, it looks as though you will not want for toys.

Here is a list of all the forum's gamertags, it's not everyone so just say so and I'll add it.
Forum Name - Gamertag
KingMole - Kaddion
Arrath - Arrath777
Septus - Kurahoshi
Big Dookie - BigDaddyDookie
BlueDestiny - BlueDouble
Sharp10er - SharpTenor
Blue map - Gray Adder
Saiga - Lost Physicist
Sagroth - sag616
ygrella - CorpsicIe
Nickle - NickleDL
Strikerkc - Strikerkc
elizabex - elizabex

You guys like maps, right? Of course you do. Can't find all those pesky crates or ore, Even a handful of radio tags? Well have no fear, Bamelin and co. have made a wonderfully convenient map to help you with this. Here

And who better to showcase the demo then our very own Kaseius? He made a fantastic Let's Play, which you can watch below.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/kaseius/videos/2/

http://www.viddler.com/explore/kaseius/videos/3/

P.S. If you want me to add anything to this post, just ask.

Xtarath on

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I hope this is good.

But Volition Inc. has been essentially dead for years.

august on
  • Bill CosbyBill Cosby Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm a sucker for the classic miners uprising and since you can use modified mining equipment as a weapon is all the better.

Bill Cosby on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It's nice that this shit is actually coming out for PC.

august on
  • gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I love that they named the towns after the leaders in the original red faction. (Parker, Eos) It's probably something that would realisticlly happen.

gunwarrior on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    For those wondering but not wanting to read the article...
    Also noted by the company are the platforms the game will be releasing on (the next-gen trio of Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC) and a release target in the 2009 fiscal year (which may still fall in the 2008 calendar year).
    I'm glad I abandoned my original plan of having just the Wii this console generation...so many good looking games are doing this.

Darlan on
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I liked the first Red Faction... but 3rd person shooter? Hmmm...

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm looking forward to this and Mercenaries for only one reason - next-gen destructable environments. I just want to completely take a stage apart, and the first two RFs gave a nice taste of it. But I want more.

Oh, and Fracture.

Graviija on
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I did like that one MP map with the wooden box house frame in the very center of a box room... tunnels have never been so much fun :P

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LordsOfPlagueLordsOfPlague Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm skeptical, in the first game you could dig for days, the second one they reduced the destructible environment to one scripted segment at the beginning and maybe a wall or two later in the game. Let's hope they deliver again

LordsOfPlague on
    durance6qy.jpg
  • DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I just hope it's a great game and they don't spend ALL their time making absolutely sure all the destructable stuff works and then forget they need to make a game with their engine.

Yeah, Assassins Creed, I'm looking at you.

DarkSymphony on
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Xtarath wrote: »
    You can wander about taking down buildings or bridges at your leisure or go for the corrupt Earth Defence Force's main buildings to cause some real mayhem.
    go for the corrupt Earth Defence Force
    corrupt Earth Defence Force

?

Dartboy on
  • Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dartboy wrote: »
    You can wander about taking down buildings or bridges at your leisure or go for the corrupt Earth Defence Force's main buildings to cause some real mayhem.
    go for the corrupt Earth Defence Force
    corrupt Earth Defence Force

?

Thank god someone else pointed that out. I read every response just thinking "EDF! EDF! EDF!"

I only played the first Red Faction, it was such a let down I didn't bother with the sequel.

Jean Claude Van Calm on
    PSN: Grimmsy- Xbox Live: Grimmsy
  • MarkyXMarkyX Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Red Faction, the gimmick that pretended to be a game.

MarkyX on
  • etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Graviija wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to this and Mercenaries for only one reason - next-gen destructable environments. I just want to completely take a stage apart, and the first two RFs gave a nice taste of it. But I want more.

Oh, and Fracture.

After spending time with Fracture, and having my socks both covered in rock and blown.clean.off, I just have a feeling that the bar is in the process of being raised far beyond the reach of Volition.

etoychest on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The GeoMod (tm) feature in the second Red Faction was a joke. Very rarely used, and only in predictable places.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    august wrote: »
    I hope this is good.

But Volition Inc. has been essentially dead for years.

250px-Punisher_game_cover.jpg

cover.jpg

...Buh?

Recoil42 on
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    etoychest wrote: »

Oh, and Fracture.

After spending time with Fracture, and having my socks both covered in rock and blown.clean.off, I just have a feeling that the bar is in the process of being raised far beyond the reach of Volition.

Fracture doesn't seem to have much in the way of destructible buildings though, no? Correct me if I'm wrong.

But I thought it was all about terrain?

Recoil42 on
  • GunstarGunstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The GeoMod (tm) feature in the second Red Faction was a joke. Very rarely used, and only in predictable places.

actually, no. the single player in the original was terrible and only saved by the fact that you can waste time making holes in the walls (usually). the second included an actually fun story driven campaign that i thought took what was just an idea in the first game to new levels.

Gunstar on
    greencall.gifredfist.gif
    Xbox : gunst4r
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Gunstar wrote: »

actually, no. the single player in the original was terrible and only saved by the fact that you can waste time making holes in the walls (usually). the second included an actually fun story driven campaign that i thought took what was just an idea in the first game to new levels.

Is that even a response to the comment I made? I never said the first one was good, or even that the second was bad (I thought it was decent). I'm talking about the much hyped geomod feature. Which was rarely used, and never in any big way, in RF 2.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • GunstarGunstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Is that even a response to the comment I made? I never said the first one was good, or even that the second was bad (I thought it was decent). I'm talking about the much hyped geomod feature. Which was rarely used, and never in any big way, in RF 2.

i'm arguing that it WAS used and was used more intelligently than in it's prequel. maybe i need to replay it but i recall the game having some pretty cool applications of destruction.

Gunstar on
    greencall.gifredfist.gif
    Xbox : gunst4r
  • etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Recoil42 wrote: »

Oh, and Fracture.

Fracture doesn't seem to have much in the way of destructible buildings though, no? Correct me if I'm wrong.

You you are right, it's all about terrain defrmation and altering weather effects, but it's incredibly satisfying in a way that I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the new Red Faction being. Raising the ground in a bunker and squishing the people inside, or lowing the earth below a building's foundation so you can sneak inside...lotta fun. Make no mistake, I HOPE RF pulls it out though...2 fun games are better than 1.

etoychest on
  • JNighthawkJNighthawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Recoil42 wrote: »

Oh, and Fracture.

You you are right, it's all about terrain defrmation and altering weather effects, but it's incredibly satisfying in a way that I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the new Red Faction being. Raising the ground in a bunker and squishing the people inside, or lowing the earth below a building's foundation so you can sneak inside...lotta fun. Make no mistake, I HOPE RF pulls it out though...2 fun games are better than 1.

Sounds awesome, also J I'll add that stuff to the OP.

Xtarath on
  • HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Screw you guys, Red Faction was fun. Who cares if the FPS part was only average. You could create intricate tunnel systems with rockets.

Red Faction 2 was not as much fun. The FPS gameplay was only slightly better than average, but the awesomeness of the first game disappeared for some reason. Red Faction 2 did have some pretty fun multiplayer (splitscreen), but the level of destruction was almost non-existent compared to the first one.

Halibut on
  • LordsOfPlagueLordsOfPlague Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

i'm arguing that it WAS used and was used more intelligently than in it's prequel. maybe i need to replay it but i recall the game having some pretty cool applications of destruction.

I beat it several times and aside from the first and last level in RF2 you only used it once or twice, and it was like... you could blow a hole in this wall, or walk through the door right next to it. RF2 was Generic Shooter #37 but it had a better story.

LordsOfPlague on
    durance6qy.jpg
  • Mr.BrickMr.Brick Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I was pumped for the first Red Faction. I got the game on day 1. Installed, and went nuts for 3 days straight and beat the game.

I remember being a little disapointed. It seemed there was a lot of good ideas, that never went anywhere. You did a lot of digging at the beggining of the game and it could be used to your tatical advantage, but then I felt that sort of died off and it turned into a game or corridor fighting with the odd segment where would could do some cosmetic damage.

I never did play the 2nd one though.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Red Faction was great for the multi-player. I barely remember the single-player, but playing with friends I have quite a lot of recollections. It was awesome, especially the two fortress map. We'd just grab rockets, be on opposite sides, and start shooting. Fucking glorious. Geomod was quite a lot of fun there.

I'm looking forward to Guerilla. It looks like they're really working hard to make it be the best destructibility ever. And it's a massive, open game-world, too. Color me excited.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I really liked the first one. Surveying the destruction after a battle was very satisfying. I played about 30 minutes of RF2 before uninstalling it.

Sir Carcass on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The preview I read on 1UP made this sound like it will be awesome. I've had a riot in the Bad Company beta watching walls explode and stuff, and it sounds like this is taking things even further with destructible buildings. Like, entirely.
    Yes please.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    RF1 was excellent right up to the moment the plot changed from WORKERS RIOT to your typical run of the mill mutant experiments 'oh gaze yea upon the annoying dull ugly horrors that I Generico the evil villan have createblahblahblaZzzzzzz' rubbish.

But before that, fighting the guards and the incredibly accident prone medics around the mines and the offices was a blast. Bloody stupid mutants ruin everything.

But yes, RF2 was appaling, apart from some part I remember where you fire large weapons from a chopper to kill certain people (and everyone within 3 floors of them) in a large building. It took about 50 rounds in the face to kill anyone.

But maybe the new consoles can do the destruction tech justice. It'll need a game to go along with it too though.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
    edited April 2008
    You should add some screenshots to the OP, XT.

Oh, and I'm a multiplayer programmer on RFG.

JNighthawk on
    Game programmer
  • KatholicKatholic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    JNighthawk wrote: »

Rail gun....PLEASE?

Katholic on
    edited June 2008
    JNighthawk on
    Game programmer
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Cool sounds like Mercenaries.. IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I can't believe you're fighting against the mighty EDF in this game! How the hell are you suppose to beat Storm 1?? Did you not see what he accompished in 2017!?

I've had fairly mixed experiences with RF1, mostly on the side of medicore. RF1 you're just some guy who thinks his job sucks, then suddenly transforms into the most important person in the uprising. The game itself was ok and the deformation was impressive considering the games age. Also liked the fact that the game just tossed a whole stack of weapons at you pretty much right from the start :) I didn't finish it because it all felt like work and the already weak story was falling to pieces.

RF2 is still gathering dust.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Katholic wrote: »

Rail gun....PLEASE?

Screenshot of a medic with a remote mining charge stuck to his face here.

Cause I don't have my RF1 disks to make the SS myself :(

Arrath on
  • NiqleNiqle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If I can go back to making hole in the wall sniper perches, this game is so bought. I loved doing that in RF.

Niqle on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think this should be the direction more next gen games go in. I don't give a shit about more shaders and crap just gimme a true fully destructible environment.

Like Superman Returns.. How awesome would that of been if you could fly through buildings and really break shit.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm pretty psyched about this game now, after seeing that interview video. It sounds great how you can pick a enemy base from the map, and go ruin its shit. Really hoping this one gets shown off at E3.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
    edited June 2008
    Xtarath, update the OP :-)

JNighthawk on
    Game programmer