As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What you didn't know about the games you play

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Quartz Quadrant:
    wallsii4.gif
    These walls don't exist in the final. They're unbreakable in the prerelease.

tv1uo7.png
    The prerelease future had this badass TV of sonic in it. The bad future has a robotnik TV that's present in both the final and the prerelease.

bossho4.png
    The prerelease boss's spikes look like horseshit. For comparison's sake, the final versions:

boss1sc1.png

Wacky Workbench:
    act13im8.png
    You don't roll up into a ball when you jump. Also, the level is pretty barren. Note there is nothing here. there would normally be platforms and freezing machines about.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You seem to know quite a lot for a retard, TSR

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I really hope all that Sonic info is on the internet enough times to prevent any possibility of the loss of that information. Just like there was "The Great Forum Crash" sometime last year, I hope it doesn't get suddenly wiped from existence.

Or maybe you can write a book? ;)

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    BTP wrote:
    I really hope all that Sonic info is on the internet enough times to prevent any possibility of the loss of that information. Just like there was "The Great Forum Crash" sometime last year, I hope it doesn't get suddenly wiped from existence.

Or maybe you can write a book? ;)

All this info is available elsewhere

[spoiler:17b9c166d6]I should know. As I know a lot of this stuff already.

Well, except for the physics engine.[/spoiler:17b9c166d6]

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Stardust Speedway:
    act16gt7.png

Instead of the normal flashing lights from the final version, every now and then the screen would simply flip the fuck out. This turns out to be a buggy version of the flashing lights. Smooth, sega.

Also, the boss for this level doesn't exist. The level is barren.

Mettalic Maddness:
    act13mc4.gif
    the enemies in this stage have their pallette's reversed

And that's pretty much it for the level differences. There are other slight changes, but nothing really worth nothing about the levels themselves.

One thing that IS worth noting, however, is that there appears to be a level missing.

Sonic CD is unlike any other sonic game. Each level in Sonic is contained within the CD as an R file. You can actually pop the CD in and look around and see these R files. Each R file is basically a fully functional version of sonic the hedgehog. While earlier and later games would have 1 game that was all connected, each level in sonic CD can be launched as it's own game.

So when palmtree panic act 1 finishes, it loads palmtree panic act 2, which is treated like a completely different game.

So there are R files for every level, labelled like so: Palmtree Panic act 1 present is R1_1p, Palmtree Panic act 2 present is R1_2p, etc.

Except there are no R2 files. It jumps straight to R3_1p. What happened to R2? This is unknown - there are no screenshots or anything. Since each level is a seperate entity, you can't probe those either to look for left overs from it. It's vanished.

But there is a clue. If you look at the uncut ending to sonic CD (where sonic travels to every zone in anime fashion), right after Palmtree Panic, he visits a level never before seen. I fully believe this is R2, and I believe it was based off of Marble Zone.

Here's the uncut ending: UNCUT!

On top of all that, there are a few of sonic's sprites in Sonic CD that aren't used. Behold:

sonicanicc0.gif

And that's all I got for tonight. I'll talk more about this stuff when I wake up. As is, I've been typing for hours and need a break. I'll begin with Soinc 2 game gear tomorrow.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Reynolds wrote:
    The video for Mew was messed up for me. So something about teleporting in those exact places causes the game to glitch up? Is there a FAQ on this or something? I wish I knew about this all those years ago...

Step 1: AVOID the boy with a Slowpoke on the way to Bills house. Just save before fighting anyone on the path. He faces south, and should be above a Hiker(Although they are separated).

Step 2: Go on with the game normally, never fighting this boy till later. Do NOT fight the old man/Gambler outside of the underground tunnel to Celadon from Lavender(The Lavender entrance). He is facing the door. It's easy to just walk off screen and ignore him. Now, teach a Pokemon fly. Who doesn't matter in the least.

Step 3: Now, go to the tunnel and save your game just as you exit. Literally, as soon as you exit on the Lavender side, save your game. Step forward and IMMEDIATELY press Start. Pick whatever Pokemon has fly, and fly to Cerulean City. As the screen fades to flight, the man will challenge you, but you'll fly off before he gets a chance.

Step 4: DO NOT SAVE AFTER THIS POINT. Your buttons (except the D-pad) should not work. That's normal. Go up to the bridge, and fight the Slowpoke trainer you avoided. MAKE SURE he walks forward one step. I.e don't walk right in front of him. Walk a space away at least. Beat him. (This should be easy).

Step 5: Up until the battle, you could not press buttons. Now, press Start and Fly to Lavender town.

Step 6: Walk out towards Celadon again. Your menu will pop up when you reach the small intersection. Press B.

Mew will appear and battle you. Almost completely legit.

This can be done with countless Pokemon. It's all about the Special stat that generates a Pokemon. Hell, I did this same code except I avoided a completely different trainer and ended up catching a low-level Rhydon.

It's really quite fun to see what you can get.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If for some reason that Mew explanation above doesn't work, there's this.
    http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/rbcatchmew.html

If only there is some way to make that Mew at least level 10. If you could do that, then you'd have Transform automatically and you'd be able to use that Mew for the "Blue Ditto" glitch which would make your Mew a shiny Mew!

I can't remember how that glitch is exactly done. I know you needed a wild Ditto because you need to use Transform, a shiny Pokemon (Red Gyarados is the most common use), and using Mimic on your shiny Pokemon.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Strange. Thanks. And here I thought you had to go to that special GB event and get the Nintendo people to trade it to you. Ah, memories...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Reynolds wrote:
    Strange. Thanks. And here I thought you had to go to that special GB event and get the Nintendo people to trade it to you. Ah, memories...

Normally you do. However, you can't trade something into the game that there's no data for, so they had to put the data for Mew in, and all it takes is just manipulating the way the game determines what pokemon you encountered to make it so you run into a Mew.

yalborap on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    On top of all that, there are a few of sonic's sprites in Sonic CD that aren't used. Behold:

sonicanicc0.gif

I thought they weren't allowed to show the hedgehog's skeleton? :P

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    SlyJokerSlyJoker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ive stayed awake far too long reading this stuff.

SlyJoker on
  • Options
    BushmaoriBushmaori Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    On Jak 3 there is a few good glitches, one where if you get the timing down you can do like 6 jumps in the air and another where you can actually fly with the energy wings, which I used to go exploring.

Bushmaori on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Watching little red dots moving on the opposite fort's walls in Team Fortress, because the inexperienced enemy sniper didn't know that zooming in first, then strafing into a firing position would give him away. BANG! Little red chunks.

Alright, old-school time. Chuck Yeager's Advanced Flight Trainer 2.0. The Space Shuttle was only flyable as a glider, but you could actually switch planes in mid-air. And if you started out with the X-15 and switched to the Space Shuttle, it kept the engine, and you'd have a minute of rocket power to put the Shuttle into space.

On a side note, boy those two experimental planes were unairworthy pieces of shit. Those things flew like Private Pyle climbed obstacles.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote:

sonicanicc0.gif

I thought they weren't allowed to show the hedgehog's skeleton? :P
    Probably why it wasn't used.

For some reason, I get a kick out of the two where he's upside down.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Crazy amazing stuff. This stuff is way more interesting than a lot of games, because why they didn't hide and get rid of everything they didn't use, it's not clearly pointed too like many game secrets.

piL on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    piL wrote:
    Crazy amazing stuff. This stuff is way more interesting than a lot of games, because why they didn't hide and get rid of everything they didn't use, it's not clearly pointed too like many game secrets.
    They didn't have any reason not to leave it in. There is a lot of leftover stuff in SMB3 too.

Couscous on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I remember looking at the back of the SMB3 box in the store (when the grocery store still rented games/movies) There was a level with the buzzy beetles that you can jump on, except it wasn't the sky level - it was a grass level. Me and my brothers always wondered what happened to that one.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ferrarimanf355ferrarimanf355 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't know if this is a glitch or the typical EA quality, but in the X360 version of Need For Speed Carbon, when I was getting chased by the cops in the Vegas-esque district in my Lamborghinin Murcielago, the car just dissappeared and all that was left was a shadow. I could still control the car, though, and the shadow remained throughout the rest of the chase, even in the cutscene when I got arrested. Did this happen to anyone else? :?

ferrarimanf355 on
    tifosiotaku-forumgames.png
    Get your own Gamercard Sig.
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The no-sword glitch in zelda:OoT was possibly my favorite and outright best in terms of fooling around. I spent many hours just fooling around with that.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The no-sword glitch in zelda:OoT was possibly my favorite and outright best in terms of fooling around. I spent many hours just fooling around with that.
    Uh...do tell, please. I've actually been replaying that game over break to fill the Twilight Princess void caused by shortages. Still great fun, but pulling out my N64 makes me realize: why would I pay again for these games just to not have to do this? It really isn't that arduous.

Darlan on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Darlan wrote:
    Uh...do tell, please. I've actually been replaying that game over break to fill the Twilight Princess void caused by shortages. Still great fun, but pulling out my N64 makes me realize: why would I pay again for these games just to not have to do this? It really isn't that arduous.

Theres a way to make the deku stick last as long as you keep it out and it'll be extremely powerful. Find a ledge, jump off it and hit the opposing side on the way down with the deku stick.

Voila, a very powerful stick that wont break, but magically vanishes when you put it away.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    Omnicron9999Omnicron9999 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So I started this thread and didn't check on it...BIG mistake.

TSR, my hat goes off to you. Seriously awesome stuff.

Omnicron9999 on
  • Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Icemopper wrote:
    Darlan wrote:

Theres a way to make the deku stick last as long as you keep it out and it'll be extremely powerful. Find a ledge, jump off it and hit the opposing side on the way down with the deku stick.

Voila, a very powerful stick that wont break, but magically vanishes when you put it away.
    I think he was talking about saving during the fight with Ganon after he knocks away the Master Sword so that you're unequipped when you boot the game up again.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    Galcian's SonGalcian's Son Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hey TSR, do you know what the purpose of the single broken badnik in Quartz Quadrant is? I haven't found any others through the course of the game.

Galcian's Son on
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wheres TSR.

I need more.

xx

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I wrote in some other glitch topic about making an impossible jump in Crusader of Centy, and thus being unable to beat the game. But nobody cared. I think noone but me played that game...

My friend always brings up how his brother found the shovel in Simon's Quest. And some other random items that were for a removed quest, or something. He and his brother also got beaten up (or almost) a few times for abusing all the Guile glitches on SFII (they also called him Gwilly).

Using the Human Plus cheat for Armored Core, and then transferring the super character to the latest version of the game is always fun, too.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    There's a million and a half glitches in Smash Bros Melee. Some are kind of fun. For example, in early versions of the game, have Link attempt to catch a boomerang while he is hanging from the side of the stage from his hookshot. He rockets way above the top of the screen, where he can proceed to throw bombs down from. Samus has a few glitches. She can rocket accross the stage (dubbed the "super wavedash") by moving left and right at just the right time while doing a bomb on the stage. She can also extend her grapple beam to a huge size and have it lock on to people, but that's more of an easter egg than a glitch.

There's also the famous black hole glitch, I suggest checking out if you haven't seen it before.

None of them are particularly game-breaking. The Ice Climbers can freeze their opponent by grabbing them with Nana and having Popo do his forard+b, but it's pretty hard to get the timing right, especially against a moving opponent.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I stumbled on this thread two days after I spent a day showing off hundreds of glitches to family and friends. :)

But this seems to be more about vestigal remnants stuff than glitches anyway. :)

Super Mario Bros. 3 had a lot of weird stuff on the back of the box before they revised it. The world 1 map was different, there were at least two in-level shots showing levels that do not exist, terrain features that do not exist, etc.
    Iz-GOod wrote:
    Look for NKI on Youtube, it's a group that released lots of combo videos and glitch videos for tons of fighting games. My favorites are the Mortal Kombat ones. God those games are glitchy.
    They didn't get half the ones I know for DKC or Killer Instinct.
    Reynolds wrote:
    The video for Mew was messed up for me. So something about teleporting in those exact places causes the game to glitch up? Is there a FAQ on this or something? I wish I knew about this all those years ago...

Yes. I read it a few years ago. It basically has you do all kinds of crazy crap to leave that value in memory the same as a valid Pokemon number and still get back to perform the same glitch without overwriting it. Or you could, you know, use a Gameshark to freeze the value what of the Pokemon you randomly encouter is and force it to #151. It avoids all that messy crap of "changing" one of your own previously captured ones and having all the remnants of the old Pokemon you changed from.
    ...Of course, all of the fun in doing this was ruined when Sonic Adventure DX hit the PC, because now there's trainers/hacks that automate this kind of shit for you...

OK, I recently purchased Sonic DX for PC. I intend this to be my first time through Sonic Adventure, and when I finish I'll want to check these out and move on through my backlog. Obviously, I can't waste much time. Where can I get these tools? GCW?

CZroe on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Darlan wrote:

NOTE: you must have a 1.0 firmware version of OoT to do this (Red Ganon Blood, original Fire temple music) Google/wiki if you don't know what I mean. Maybe 1.1...I can't remember. If you have a gold cart, you're good to go, but I know a few grey carts work, too (because I have one).

Fight Ganon. After he transforms into a pig, he will knock your Master Sword out of your hand. DO NOT equip another sword. Just pause, save, and quit.

When you select your save again, you won't have a sword equipped. Now you can do all kinds of weird shit, like use items on Epona and grapple object to float in midair. Again, google/wiki to get details. It's been too long since I've done it.

To un-glitch the game, either Time Travel or just select the MS and equip it.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Darlan wrote:

NOTE: you must have a 1.0 firmware version of OoT to do this (Red Ganon Blood, original Fire temple music) Google/wiki if you don't know what I mean. Maybe 1.1...I can't remember. If you have a gold cart, you're good to go, but I know a few grey carts work, too (because I have one).

Fight Ganon. After he transforms into a pig, he will knock your Master Sword out of your hand. DO NOT equip another sword. Just pause, save, and quit.

When you select your save again, you won't have a sword equipped. Now you can do all kinds of weird shit, like use items on Epona and grapple object to float in midair. Again, google/wiki to get details. It's been too long since I've done it.

I've got a couple Gold carts and I messed around with a lot of the glitches back in the day. Repacing items with extra bottles, getting as many skultulas as I wanted, getting places I wasn't supposed to be: Fun times. I didn't do many of the follow-up tricks that the sword glitch opened up though. I just remember doing something with Epona and the Megaton Hammer.

As far as 1.0 games go, I remember back in 1994 when I figured out how to make Winky or Expresso turn into Rambi on my November "release" copy of Donkey Kong Country and being totally confused when it didn't work on my friend's Christmas copy. By the time my friend's Killer Instinct Control Set SNES refused to play KI on the X-BAND despite being exchanged twice, I fully understood cartridge revisions. It was only a few years ago when KI1.1 was finally "found" by the rest of the public. Oddly, I couldn't "play Zelda" with a California girl that went by "Celes" so I was sure she had an alternate version of A Link to the Past. She could have just been using an Alpha version of the X-Band modem though she insisted otherwise (LttP triggered an internal maze game for testing the XBAND).

CZroe on
  • Options
    The TommyThe Tommy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    MORE, TSR. I DEMAND MORE.

Also, screwing with OOT, Majora's Mask, and Wind Waker with Gamesharks was awesome. There are websites dedicated to this stuff, so Google it!

The Tommy on
    modestmousesig2ab5.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Sorry to everyone who's been waiting for me to post more - but I've had an extremely rough and long day, and I'm gonna go ahead and go to sleep now. I promise I'll post more when I wake up.

Sorry again.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Icemopper wrote:
    Darlan wrote:

I think he was talking about saving during the fight with Ganon after he knocks away the Master Sword so that you're unequipped when you boot the game up again.

Yeah I know, sorry, I was just going on about another glitch.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sorry to everyone who's been waiting for me to post more - but I've had an extremely rough and long day, and I'm gonna go ahead and go to sleep now. I promise I'll post more when I wake up.

Sorry again.
    oh god-damnit

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Darlan wrote:

When the hell did Ganon turn into a pig in Ocarania of Time?

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    At the end?

He has to in order for you to win the game.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    What? I was pretty sure he turned into a giant green monster thing that was in no relation to a pig.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Eh, what the hell, before I go to bed, I'll post a little bit more.

Onto sonic 2 for the game gear.

First, starting with underground zone. There are tiles in the game that never get used. THey're not too terribly interesting...

bricksrb5.gif

Except for these:

loopqd5.gif

Graphics for an unused loop. Only 2 levels in Sonic 2 have loops - Greenhills Zone and Aqua Lake zone. Those mark the first appearance by a loop in a handheld sonic game. Apparently Underground zone was supposed to have them too.

bosseggfanhe6.gif

Another bit of interesting trivia - the boss to Underground zone apparently has more to him than we can see. It's unknown why they draw a neck, but many think the boss was originally different and could move up and down.

Onto Sky High Zone...

boulderld1.gif
    Unused sprites for the level. Except the middle birds... those are extremely odd.

They exist only in one spot in the game. In act one, climb up to the top of the level and jump as far left as possible, and you'll reach a hidden platform with a monitor. Jump over the monitor (not onto it) so you're on the left side of it. Then walk right into the monitor. This will happen:

birdswl3.gif

Birds will jump out of the trees. How odd and random.

duckgoosecm4.gif

Like the Underground zone boss, this boss has more stuff to it. His head is the only thing ever seen, but he has an entire body. The sick fucks at sega also apparently gave him a robotic anus, too.

Moving onto Greenhills Zone...

This is an interesting level. It's known that it's supposed to be the first level of the game, as it's stored in level slot 0, but for whatever reason, they moved it to later in the game. Dumb move, because I bet a lot more people would have liked the game if it started in a traditional sonic way.

gg1op6.jpg

When the game was first shown off, this was the screenshot shown. It's a prerelease version of Greenhills Zone that looks extremely different from the final version. It looks way cooler, in fact.

What's odd is that, while these tiles and this level does not exist in the final game, the intro to the game (where tails is kidnapped) still takes place on this level. I'll get to more of that later.

ggghzgh2.jpg
    ggghz2ag6.jpg

The level map to the lost greenhills zone level.

ghzju2.gif
    For comparison, here's what the final version looks like.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Now, while that's all good and fun, there's a lot more strange with regard to sonic 2 game gear and sonic cd than meets the eye. Particularly the Greenhills Zone level.

The music was changed in the game gear version, but the master system version (which was released before) has "You Can Do anything - Toot toot sonic warrior" as the music that plays in Greenhills Zone. Why is this odd?

Because "You Can Do anything - Toot Toot Sonic Warrior" is sonic CD's theme song. It was written for Sonic CD, and every song in the game is a remix of that song. So why the flying fuck is sonic CD's theme song in Sonic 2, and during the first level?

In case you're interested, here's some links:
    Sonic 2 Master System Greenhills Zone music
    You Can Do anything - Toot Toot Sonic Warrior from Sonic CD
    Sonic CD title screen
    Super Sneaker's music from Sonic CD

pretty odd, huh?

Beyond that, every level in Sonic 2 on the game gear begins with a small cutscene showing off the level. I've already shown the lost one for "Mountain Zone" but even the normal level cutscenes have a bit of oddness to them.

title1xj9.gif
    First of all, Sonic, in these pictures, are actually reused sprites from Sonic CD. Note that I said sonic CD, not sonic 1 or sonic 2, which all used different sprites. these are actually sonic CD's sprites. Even more puzzling is that each cutscene shows tails. Sonic is supposed to be rescuing tails, so why do all the cutscenes show tails following sonic?

The answer is because at one point, tails was supposed to be playable. Indeed, all the animation for tails exists in the game.

endmscs5.gif
    Beat the game with all the emeralds, and Tails will follow you around the credits screen. This could explain most of his animations, but he has simply too many of them. He even has animations he doesn't use, like the looking up animation, or the crouching animation.

tailseggfandx3.gif
    A few lost tails animations, never seen in game.

0123yh0.gif
    Going back to the intros for the levels, there is an entire font that's never used. The final game uses a similar font for the actual level names, but numbers aren't used.

Speaking of unused...

pssz8.jpg
    The instruction manual for Sonic 2 Game Gear shows these - super sneakers. They are never used in the game.

Interestingly enough, though, they ARE in the Sega Master System Version of the game.

snekl2.gif
    They exist only in this one spot - hidden in a wall.

nosnegc4.gif
    The game gear version changes them to a super ring monitor.

Speaking of hidden in a wall...

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    hidobea1.gif
    Hidden in Crystal Egg Zone is this odd box. Hitting it makes the monitor noise, so we think it's a monitor. However, when its hit, it gives you a continue. No other objects in the game (except for chaos emeralds) do that.

monitorslh6.gif
    After digging, we found these lost monitors in the game. The first is what the object at Crystal Egg zone ends up being. The ? monitor has an unknown function. The sneaker monitor isn't miscolored - it's a grey sneaker icon, seperate from the other sneaker icon. It was probably a power down, used to slow you down. Finally, the down arrow marker is left over from Sonic 1 Game Gear (which this game was built off of) and was a continuation monitor. If you died but had hit that monitor, you'd start from that spot.

sonicwt1.gif
    Finally, this animation for sonic is never used in the game.

And that's it for Sonic 2 Game Gear. Next, I'll move onto Sonic 1 game gear briefly.

Huge ass image
    Nothing not in the game in that photo, I just wanted to point out how eerily similar Labrynth Zone's background in Sonic 1 on the Game Gear is to the pre-release images of Labrynth Zone we saw from the genesis version. even the background changes blue like in the prerelease version.

batgifvz6.gif
    Unused bat sprite that proves that, at one point, Marble Zone was going to be in Sonic 1 Game Gear.

Onto Sonic Chaos:

tailswe0.jpg
    This was in an ad for sonic Chaos. A few things are off - first, the big rings look much different in the final version, and second, only sonic can get to this level - tails cannot reach special stages.

Onto Sonic Triple Trouble:
    nackjo3.jpg
    Nack the Weasle originally had a gun, and would aim it at Sonic in cutscenes. This was removed for obvious reasons.

nackkx8.gif
    Odd lost sprite of Nack getting a Chaos Emerald. This is of course never used in the final version, since only Sonic can get Emeralds.

nackpanelgy6.png
    Nack originally had a end-of-level panel, too. Very odd.

knuxwf4.gif
    Unused Knuckles Sprite. I rather like this one.

spacialstagesmallcx4.jpg
    This appears to be a prototype of the special stage. It looks much different in the final version.

And thats all for the handheld sonics. I'll post more tomorrow, begining with Sonic 3.

TheSonicRetard on