As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lost Kingdoms I

Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
I just started this, and while only playing for an hour and 33 minutes, I find this a most valuable gem for the Gamecube. I wonder why it wasn't given more hype. Even though its a 02 game and the graphics are old compared to now, but it is one of the best JRPG's I have played. I hope Lost Kingdoms II is just as good.

Oh and a side note, I did not finish Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. I got to the last part and died. Apparently I will have to restart till I am stronger, but since this is my 6th restart, I will put it back until I have played others first. Damn items dissapearing.

Katchem_ash on

• Options
    AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    !

I love the Lost Kingdoms series! Unfortunetly, it seems like almost nobody else does. Damn, now I wish that I didn't sell them so I could play them again. It's really a shame that they didn't catch on more, the industry could do well with games like that having a little more sucess.

And yes, the second one kicks ass too. They're both excellent games.

Aydr on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I enjoyed both very much when I got them off ebay for about 10 and 13 respectively (1, 2) in mid 2006. One thing that annoyed me at first about Lost Kingdoms II was the 30fps "downgrade" from the first one. Although the roaming and fighting made real time was much better then the random encounter stuff. Also both were kinda short, I beat the first one in under 7 hours, I actually hope they think about doing another sequel. I would definitely buy earlier this time around, very enjoyable games.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited January 2007
    were these the card battling, fantasy princess games? I remember gabe liking them a lot

Whippy on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    were these the card battling, fantasy princess games? I remember gabe liking them a lot

Yup.

Much more awesome than most are likely to believe them to be based off of that description, though. You should play them.

As should everyone else.

Aydr on
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yeah Gabe was (is?) pretty obsessed with these, I can't say I blame him as they're very high quality.

The overworld/level structure makes it feel a lot like Secret of Mana/Brain Lord actually. The first game has random encounters that "warp" you into a battle zone based on your current surroundings but in the awesome sequel you just run around kicking ass like the Enix action adventure games of old.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    TigressTigress Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Loved the first one. It was advertised in Realms of Fantasy and it looked cool, so I bought it as soon as a I could.

I never did finish the second because of a nightmare stage halfway through. You have to make it to the castle with the knight/prince in tow. All I had to do was sneak around the mechs without waking them up. An easy task... if the dumbass prince didn't run over to attack them and get killed, making me have to start all over again. :evil:

But I loved the concept and gameplay. The final boss in the first was a pain until I finally ran around the last level to clone some cards I needed to build the Sickest Deck Ever. One day, I'll pick up the second again and finish it.

Tigress on
    Kat's Play
    On the subject of death and daemons disappearing: arrows sure are effective in Lyra's universe. Seems like if you get shot once, you're dead - no lingering deaths with your daemon huddling pitifully in your arms, just *thunk* *argh* *whoosh*. A battlefield full of the dying would just be so much more depressing when you add in wailing gerbils and dogs.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Tigress wrote:
    Loved the first one. It was advertised in Realms of Fantasy and it looked cool, so I bought it as soon as a I could.

I never did finish the second because of a nightmare stage halfway through. You have to make it to the castle with the knight/prince in tow. All I had to do was sneak around the mechs without waking them up. An easy task... if the dumbass prince didn't run over to attack them and get killed, making me have to start all over again. :evil:

But I loved the concept and gameplay. The final boss in the first was a pain until I finally ran around the last level to clone some cards I needed to build the Sickest Deck Ever. One day, I'll pick up the second again and finish it.
    Edit: Wait, I think I was thinking of the wrong thing. Yeah, that one is pretty tough. I think the best way to get through it is to throw some independants at the monsters before they wake up, then you can either fight them or just run by while they serve as a distraction.

Aydr on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I really need to finish this game. I enjoyed it but I got sidetracked with other games and never came back to it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    Yeah Gabe was (is?) pretty obsessed with these, I can't say I blame him as they're very high quality.

The overworld/level structure makes it feel a lot like Secret of Mana/Brain Lord actually. The first game has random encounters that "warp" you into a battle zone based on your current surroundings but in the awesome sequel you just run around kicking ass like the Enix action adventure games of old.

Brain Loooooord! Agh, push X to open the door :x

Hm, I did enjoy Lost Kingdoms a lot back when I had it. Now I have the urge to play the second one.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, I too really loved the first Lost Kingdoms.

So much, in fact, that I regret to this day the fact that I don't have the second one.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Tigress wrote:

I hated that level so much, but there were more annoying ones later on (in fact, the very next one after that was also irritating IIRC).

The part about LK2 that really soured me however, was the final boss fight. For some reason, it's AI is set to "stupid": you can throw out a decoy independant (Demon Tower or somesuch) and it will totally ignore you while you wail the shit out of it at your leisure.

But I did like both games a lot; in fact, LK2 motivated me to write my first (and only) FAQ to GFAQs -- nearly-complete card list that I abandoned after someone submitted a fully-complete list. I still occasionally receive email about it to this day.

The best part about LK2, however, is being able to import your LK1 collection. More sequels need to do this.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    TigressTigress Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Vyolynce wrote:
    The part about LK2 that really soured me however, was the final boss fight. For some reason, it's AI is set to "stupid": you can throw out a decoy independant (Demon Tower or somesuch) and it will totally ignore you while you wail the shit out of it at your leisure.

That was the other reason I gave up on it. I think I suggested using the decoy, since I noticed that it completely ignored you when you had one out. So I suggested putting it out of the boss's range and see what happens. The ease with which you beat it afterwards was pretty sad.

Tigress on
    Kat's Play
    On the subject of death and daemons disappearing: arrows sure are effective in Lyra's universe. Seems like if you get shot once, you're dead - no lingering deaths with your daemon huddling pitifully in your arms, just *thunk* *argh* *whoosh*. A battlefield full of the dying would just be so much more depressing when you add in wailing gerbils and dogs.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Yes, and that's because Gabe is a fairy princess.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Tigress wrote:

in the first one, I think i had almost 20 dragon knights in my deck. I loved that card.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    TelMarine wrote:
    in the first one, I think i had almost 20 dragon knights in my deck. I loved that card.

I had a fuckton of Banshees. The fact that they earn extra experience when you kill things just made them ridiculously easy to copy, too.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Vyolynce wrote:
    TelMarine wrote:

I had a fuckton of Banshees. The fact that they earn extra experience when you kill things just made them ridiculously easy to copy, too.
    Heheh. Yeah.

After I got 30 Banshees (if that's the max - and if it isn't, the correct number is whatever the maximum is) I decided to get 30 copies of all my favourite cards.

This included Doppleganger.

So I happily wasted quite a lot of hours on this game.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    a TCG I didn't know about? D: God damn it. Since it's so old I hope I can find it for $10 or less (though I'll go $20 or less for it)

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    PikaPuff wrote:
    a TCG I didn't know about? D: God damn it. Since it's so old I hope I can find it for $10 or less (though I'll go $20 or less for it)
    I wouldn't call it a TCG.

A CG, certainly. Cards are the primary form of battling. But Lost Kingdoms is more Baten Kaitos than Yu-Gi-Oh. Very roughly speaking.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    whatever. CCG. I lump them all the same way. They use cards. and most acronyms like three letters.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Are these games short enough to be played through in one weekend? Like the first one one weekend and the second another? I've had them for months and haven't touched them. I don't want a long RPG, but want something different.

Samphis on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Samphis wrote:
    Are these games short enough to be played through in one weekend? Like the first one one weekend and the second another? I've had them for months and haven't touched them. I don't want a long RPG, but want something different.

Assuming adequate time for food and sleep, no. At least, not likely.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I defeated the first villian or whatever and got myself a runestone, so basically I upgraded my life to 150 and my magic to 16.

It seems I use alot of close combat cards, Lizardmen, Red Lizardmen, Banshee, Dragon Knight, Ghoul and Mummy rather than independants, though I have some of them ala Caterpoker, Skeleton and the like. I have a couple of summon cards as well, but what bothers me is that the wolfman changes to the birdman and visa versa. I don't understand changing either of them.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Samphis wrote:
    I finished the first one in 20 hours (although I didn't have all the cards or even my ideal deck yet). For me, that's about two days of solid gaming.

I don't know if it is for you, though.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Samphis wrote:
    I finished the first one in 20 hours (although I didn't have all the cards or even my ideal deck yet). For me, that's about two days of solid gaming.

I don't know if it is for you, though.

That's good enough. I need something else to keep me from burning out on Dragon Quest 8. I'm like 60 hours in and nowhere near the end of the game.

Samphis on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    i almost got this when it came out.

i read a digg article saying that this is one of the greatest GC games.

hmm.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Well Finished Lost Kingdoms I in 9 hours and 22 minutes. Of course I haven't gotten all the cards as of yet, but replaying the game will be done once I finished all my games.

Katchem_ash on