As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Heller Affirmed - SCOTUS Upholds 2nd Amendment Individual Right Determination

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Canada doesn't have sweeping gun control or a malevolent government. What's your point?

What qualifies as sweeping gun control, then?

You have to take a course and be investigated by the RCMP before you can get a license to own a non-restricted firearm (Any rifle over 470mm). It is illegal to own anything made by Kalashnikov, it is illegal to own anything that is automatic. Most rifles under 470mm are outright illegal, but some aren't, and those that aren't you have to take another course and get another license in order to own. You cannot own a pistol unless you are a member of a gun club and you cannot store that pistol at home.

That qualifies as sweeping gun control to me. There are restrictions on anything that fires bullets.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    All genocides were also preceded by, and continued via, breathing oxygen. I'd like to see this made illegal, but I'm not holding my breath.

Keep arguing until you're blue in the face, it's not going to help.

Doc on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Bama wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    So the citizens cannot overpower the government through force, but unless we have the right to own guns, to ensure we fail at trying to overthrow the government via force, nothing else matters? Your logic eats itself.
    A door lock doesn't prevent someone from breaking into your house. A car alarm doesn't prevent someone from stealing your car. These things are deterrents. It's much less attractive to coerce someone with deadly force when that person may be able to respond with deadly force.

Except that he admitted that gun ownership does not deter the government from shit.

And it's far easier to get a police or military force to shoot the guy who's armed than it is to shoot the guy with nothing.

moniker on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    All genocides were also preceded by, and continued via, breathing oxygen. I'd like to see this made illegal, but I'm not holding my breath.
    But if breathing is outlawed, then only outlaws will breathe!

Bama on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Seriously, you think Obama can push through a ban on semi-automatic weapons? At the national level? In the United States of America?

You may as well not vote for him because you think he will resurrect Ronald Reagan by laying on of the hands.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Except that he admitted that gun ownership does not deter the government from shit.
    You mean in the post where he said...
    Not that the citizens could overpower the government, but they could make it bloody enough to deter these actions.
    ?
    And it's far easier to get a police or military force to shoot the guy who's armed than it is to shoot the guy with nothing.
    I don't disagree.

Bama on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Seriously, you think Obama can push through a ban on semi-automatic weapons? At the national level? In the United States of America?

You may as well not vote for him because you think he will resurrect Ronald Reagan by laying on of the hands.

You don't understand! He is in favor of gun control. Clearly he wants to genocide us.

Doc on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    I'm calling that a Godwin and bowing out

GOOD DAY SIR

But, but you are one of the few people that could give a good legal analysis of the opinions.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    You mean in the post where he said...
    Not that the citizens could overpower the government, but they could make it bloody enough to deter these actions.
    ?

Yep. The citizens can't overpower the government, so how is a dictator being deterred?

moniker on
  • Options
    DozingDragonDozingDragon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    By losing so many troops the dictator cares so much about. Didn't you know dictators have a strong sense of morality when it comes to the loss of human life?

DozingDragon on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Or maybe you deter the troops?

Bama on
  • Options
    PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Jot,

Turkey 1915-1917
    Soviet Union 1929 - 1953
    Germany 1939 - 1945
    China 1948 - 1952
    Cambodia 1975 - 1977
    Guatemala 1964 - 1981
    Uganda 1971 - 1979

gunfacts

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

We've already had a national semi-auto ban. It expired. So, it's certainly possible.

What is the argument for ownership of a semi-automatic weapon, anyway? It's not like you're going to hunt with one, and keeping one in your home for self-defense purposes seems ridiculous. Their only practical application is killing.

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • Options
    matisyahumatisyahu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Moniker,

Yes. No it doesn't.
    We need guns to overthrow the country in the event of a dictator's rise to power, though we can't actually overthrow the country with guns, but someone isn't a dictator unless they try to take our guns. Remove Habeus Corpus? I still got my glock. Ignore judicial oversight? I've still got my glock. Any dictator who swept into power would ensure liberal gun rights existed while cracking down on everything else to the point where gun ownership doesn't mean shit because you're being ruled by a dictator. The very thing you're saying gun rights are necessary to prevent.

Peeking, how can you respond to this?

matisyahu on
    i dont even like matisyahu and i dont know why i picked this username
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    And yeah, a shitload of citizens with AK-47s and hunting rifles is going to pose a real threat to trained soldiers, tanks, gunships, jets, etc. We could definitely fuck with them (See: Iraqis) but it's not exactly enough to topple the government. Though, in any case, I really doubt the U.S. military would be willing to act in a widespread manner against U.S. citizens.

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Umaro wrote: »

We've already had a national semi-auto ban. It expired. So, it's certainly possible.

What is the argument for ownership of a semi-automatic weapon, anyway? It's not like you're going to hunt with one, and keeping one in your home for self-defense purposes seems ridiculous. Their only practical application is killing.

See my sig for why banning semi-autos is dumb.

That thing is too awesome to be banned.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    And yeah, a shitload of citizens with AK-47s and hunting rifles is going to pose a real threat to trained soldiers, tanks, gunships, jets, etc. We could definitely fuck with them (See: Iraqis) but it's not exactly enough to topple the government.
    Has it helped erode support for the military action?

Bama on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Thanatos,

No, I don't think he can, but he can appoint justices who will in the future. I'm asking ElJeffe a question.

Umaro,

We've never had a national semi-auto ban. I don't think you understand what semi-auto means.

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    You guys sure do jump to conclusions.

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Umaro,

We've never had a national semi-auto ban. I don't think you understand what semi-auto means.

I think I meant to say 'assault weapons' - I always assumed to two to pretty much overlap.

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I don't disagree.

A soldier is more likely to shoot the fucker that just sniped their buddy than they are the bunch of lawyers peacably assembled in Times Square.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    matisyahu,

I never used the word overthrow. I used the word overpower. The citizens will need help from the military and other nations in the short term. Long term would be about economics, see vietnam/iraq. I also never said a person becomes a dictator when they take arms. You guys don't make any sense.

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Peeking, you make the well-reasoned gun ownership advocates look silly.

Stop it.

You're like a caricature of an ignorant, single issue, mouthbreathing redneck at an NRA meeting.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    The assault weapons ban was more cosmetic than anything and basically amounted to a prohibition on foreign arms. This is one reason why people were so frustrated with Ruger's stance.

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    And yeah, a shitload of citizens with AK-47s and hunting rifles is going to pose a real threat to trained soldiers, tanks, gunships, jets, etc. We could definitely fuck with them (See: Iraqis) but it's not exactly enough to topple the government.
    Has it helped erode support for the military action?

Mostly because we're losing. Which wouldn't be the case in the event of total war. See: Iraq circa 1988.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I don't disagree.

A soldier is more likely to shoot the fucker that just sniped their buddy than they are the bunch of lawyers peacably assembled in Times Square.
    The posts I was responding to weren't saying that there are better deterrents, but rather that guns weren't a deterrent.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    matisyahu,

I never used the word overthrow. I used the word overpower. The citizens will need help from the military and other nations in the short term. Long term would be about economics, see vietnam/iraq. I also never said a person becomes a dictator when they take arms. You guys don't make any sense.

If the military no longer supports the government's actions, why did you need to own a gun to prevent government abuses?

moniker on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I am a gun ownership advocate and I think that "genocide" bit is beyond the pale. I was not aware that people who thought like that lived outside of compounds.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Umaro,

I think I meant to say 'assault weapons' - I always assumed to two to pretty much overlap.

This is why you need to stop talking

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I don't disagree.

The posts I was responding to weren't saying that there are better deterrents, but rather that guns weren't a deterrent.

Right.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I am a gun ownership advocate and I think that "genocide" bit is beyond the pale. I was not aware that people who thought like that lived outside of compounds.
    Who says he doesn't have an internet connection in the compound?

Bama on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    ptsf_ammo.jpg

God bless America.

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Because that may not have been the case at the outset, for the military or the majority of the citizens. It usually isn't.

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I have internet at my compound. Rednecks are quite technologically advanced in this day and age.

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Who says he doesn't have an internet connection in the compound?
    Benefit of the doubt.

Also, isn't capslock abuse endemic to those people?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Peeking who is your favorite comedian.

Is it Jeff Foxworthy?

"You might be a redneck if you believe the Democrats want to herd you into a gas chamber."

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Most rifles under 470mm are outright illegal, but some aren't, and those that aren't you have to take another course and get another license in order to own. You cannot own a pistol unless you are a member of a gun club and you cannot store that pistol at home.

That qualifies as sweeping gun control to me. There are restrictions on anything that fires bullets.

Just to be clear, you can own a pistol without being a member of a club depending on the province and you can store the pistol at home. Although firearms laws are federal, the provinces can make up regulations as they see fit. Also, Nova forgot the paperwork to take a gun home from the store and separate paperwork to take it to the range. It's also illegal to fire a pistol anywhere but a range, even if you live on a 10,000 acre farm.

Pistols have been heavily regulated since 1934 and are not easy to acquire legally. Fortunately, the supply of illegal firearms is so large, criminals can purchase them for only a $100-200 premium over store prices.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Because that may not have been the case at the outset, for the military or the majority of the citizens. It usually isn't.

But without military backing you and your gun aren't going to do much of anything, so ensuring gun rights isn't really preventing abuses of governmental power.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    an_alt wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Most rifles under 470mm are outright illegal, but some aren't, and those that aren't you have to take another course and get another license in order to own. You cannot own a pistol unless you are a member of a gun club and you cannot store that pistol at home.

Just to be clear, you can own a pistol without being a member of a club depending on the province and you can store the pistol at home. Although firearms laws are federal, the provinces can make up regulations as they see fit. Also, Nova forgot the paperwork to take a gun home from the store and separate paperwork to take it to the range. It's also illegal to fire a pistol anywhere but a range, even if you live on a 10,000 acre farm.

Pistols have been heavily regulated since 1934 and are not easy to acquire legally. Fortunately, the supply of illegal firearms is so large, criminals can purchase them for only a $100-200 premium over store prices.

Right. :P I was going by the preliminary investigation I did in pistols before I gave it up as not worth getting one.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

Yeah.....I'm pretty sure I can ignore everything you say now.

No-Quarter on