As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

All hail the king of the mice

Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Moe's Stupid Technology Tavern
41fas985mflsl500aa280ld3.th.jpg

Notice the perfectly curvaceous body. beautifully symmetric.

Notice how the scroll wheel goes "click click" like a scroll wheel should

Notice how the buttons are large enough to press, and succumb after the perfect amount of pressure.

Notice the perfect number of buttons, all placed where you can't accidentally hit them but can easily hit them when you need them.

In fact, I happen to know that our own Flippy_D uses this very mouse for all his (quite numerous) headshots. Though I don't share the D's talent, I feel privileged that we share a love for the one true mouse.

Everyone bask in the glory. bask.

Anyway, getting to the point

Does this mouse come in wireless, anywhere?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Monolithic_Dome on

• LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Notice how the buttons are large enough to press, and succumb after the perfect amount of pressure.

Notice the perfect number of buttons, all placed where you can't accidentally hit them but can easily hit them when you need them.

In fact, I happen to know that our own Flippy_D uses this very mouse for all his (quite numerous) headshots. Though I don't share the D's talent, I feel privileged that we share a love for the one true mouse.

I used to have one of these, I wore it out. Use a logitech MX now but to answer your question http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/ProductList.aspx?Type=Mouse&AdditionalType=Trackball&feature1=wireless_All

edit: looks like the changed the layout of the newer ones but I believe your picture is of a older MS explorer intellipoint mouse

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I used to love the Intellimouse until I got my Logitech 'G'.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    looks like the changed the layout of the newer ones

Yeah, that's my problem. MS seems to think now that what I want is:

-stupid scroll wheel that doesn't click
    -stupid little buttons in stupid places
    -hand-molded "ergonomic" bullshit. I don't hold my mouse in my palm like a 4-year-old. I use my fingertips
    -mice that look like robot poop:
    robotpoopub6.jpg

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    looks like the changed the layout of the newer ones

Yeah, that's my problem. MS seems to think now that what I want is:

-stupid scroll wheel that doesn't click
    -stupid little buttons in stupid places
    -hand-molded "ergonomic" bullshit. I don't hold my mouse in my palm like a 4-year-old. I use my fingertips
    -mice that look like robot poop:
    robotpoopub6.jpg

May I suggest a Logitech G series or MX 5XX or a wireless variant there of. They are very nice mice, my has clicky mouse wheel but is not wireless.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/&cl=us,en

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • ttvpttvp Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I was hesitant to click on this thread, I really was, but that left immediately when I realized that you actually knew what you were talking about. The Intellimouse Optical has been my favorite mouse for years, and I'm using one right now. I believe that a wireless version would reduce or eliminate the level of awesome of this mouse, however (something about increased weight and reduced responsiveness I don't like the idea of). I have never been more happy with a single peripheral before. Fact: The only people who claim that anyone makes a better mouse have simply not used this mouse or are deliberately trolling.

I will definitely get a few more from eBay should this one or the other one crap out, and I intend to use them for a long time to come.

ttvp on
    edited June 2008
    Actually newegg still sells them new. In two versions?

Goddamn it Microsoft, when things are different, give them a different name. When things are not different, don't give them a different name.

why is that so hard to understand?

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008

Goddamn it Microsoft, when things are different, give them a different name. When things are not different, don't give them a different name/

I believe one is a southpaw version.

LittleBoots on

edited June 2008
    ttvp wrote: »

I I believe that a wireless version would reduce or eliminate the level of awesome of this mouse, however (something about increased weight and reduced responsiveness I don't like the idea of).

I actually hadn't thought of that. I mean the responsiveness I really hadn't noticed in my previous attempts to use a wireless mouse, but the weight... I think you are on to something. Part of the reason that I really dislike all the logitech mice I have tried is that they are all so heavy.

Plus, it doesn't look like MS makes a wireless version of this one anyway. Looks like I'll just have to deal with cords.

I suppose this is now just the intellimouse appreciation thread. so,

Greatest thing Microsoft has ever made, or only great thing Microsoft has ever made?

discuss.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Anyone who uses an intellimouse or a logitech anything should try a deathadder, and then cry tears of pure joy as they wonder how they ever got by with any of those horrible alternative. Yeah I went there.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • tachyontachyon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I I believe that a wireless version would reduce or eliminate the level of awesome of this mouse, however (something about increased weight and reduced responsiveness I don't like the idea of).

I actually hadn't thought of that. I mean the responsiveness I really hadn't noticed in my previous attempts to use a wireless mouse, but the weight... I think you are on to something. Part of the reason that I really dislike all the logitech mice I have tried is that they are all so heavy.

Plus, it doesn't look like MS makes a wireless version of this one anyway. Looks like I'll just have to deal with cords.

Greatest thing Microsoft has ever made, or only great thing Microsoft has ever made?

discuss.

When they first came out, it was the best $75 I've ever spent on a Microsoft hardware product. Everyone was like "Why the fuck would you spend that much money on a mouse" I would then hold them down and burn their retina's out with the red glory of the mouse's laser.

tachyon on
    edited June 2008
    tachyon wrote: »

discuss.

When they first came out, it was the best $75 I've ever spent on a Microsoft hardware product. Everyone was like "Why the fuck would you spend that much money on a mouse" I would then hold them down and burn their retina's out with the red glory of the mouse's laser.

Yeah, I got mine as a Christmas gift and I remember entertaining myself for quite awhile by just shining it on things (was my first optical mouse)

LittleBoots on

edited June 2008
    Anyone who uses an intellimouse or a logitech anything should try a deathadder, and then cry tears of pure joy as they wonder how they ever got by with any of those horrible alternative. Yeah I went there.

I like the look of it, and it doesn't cost $OMGXTREEM, so I'd at least consider it, but here's my qualms:

-Why are buttons 4 and 5 on the same side? That means you have to move your thumb (which should be held steadfast on the mouse, to you know, hold it) to hit different buttons. ick.

-Maybe I don't know what I've been missing, but I don't see the need for higher mouse resolution. Maybe I lack 1337 skills, but my mouse can already detect my subtlest motions just fine.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

its the same thing as Mx 518 except Logitech has a history of making good mice.

and the shape of that thing looks horrible.

PS. the intellimouse buttons are too small as im not going to arch my fingers to press them with the finger tips. i guess having big hands means you need a bigger mouse.

Dunadan019 on
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Maybe I don't know what I've been missing, but I don't see the need for higher mouse resolution. Maybe I lack 1337 skills, but my mouse can already detect my subtlest motions just fine.

I've never understood this either. I've got a basic Microsoft mouse (not the Intellipoint anymore though. For shaaaame), and it doesn't seem to have any problems with subtle mouse movement. What is the point, people-in-the-know?

Kris on
  • KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

Goddamn it Microsoft, when things are different, give them a different name. When things are not different, don't give them a different name/

I believe one is a southpaw version.

The intellimouse is non-ergonomic and doesn't need a southpaw version. I know, because it was my favorite mouse in existence and I searched desperately for a wireless version. As a lefty, my mouse selection is limited so I REALLY wanted them to just pull the cord off this bad boy and go. Alas, I never found one.

Kendrik on
    steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • The Man with No NameThe Man with No Name __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    The true king

10037147.jpg

The Man with No Name on
    :whistle:
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The true king

10037147.jpg

The true true king.

800px-Apple-pro-mouse1.jpg

I love that fucking mouse. God I miss it.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Prior to buying a MX518 I had some Microsoft Mouse that was basically the same thing as an Intellimouse Optical, just without a thumb button. I liked it lots.

Dehumanized on
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The true king

10037147.jpg

Hey, h5!

Uncle Long on
  • The Man with No NameThe Man with No Name __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    There are so many things wrong with the idea of pushing a mouse around.

The Man with No Name on
    :whistle:
  • corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The true king
    ]

The true true king.

awesome one-button Apple mouse

I love that fucking mouse. God I miss it.

I do rather like it. Once you get used to using ctrl and scroll bars it has a certain elegance...

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Does anyone have experience using the MX Revolution? It's the only one of the expensive mice that I like the look of...

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    contraband wrote: »
    Does anyone have experience using the MX Revolution? It's the only one of the expensive mice that I like the look of...

I have one, got it for $40 from Dell last year.

Great mouse, except there is no middle mouse button. I have the search button mapped to it, though. Close enough.

Thumb wheel is mostly useless.

Very comfortable mouse, though. The free scroll is cool.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
    edited June 2008
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

PS. the intellimouse buttons are too small as im not going to arch my fingers to press them with the finger tips. i guess having big hands means you need a bigger mouse.

It's not the same thing at all, while they are the same DPI, razer uses a different type of infrared sensor, which gives much better tracking precision than anything logitech offers.

taliosfalcon on
  • LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    As far as trackballs go, I prefer this:

226.1.0.jpg

I use one at work since I use common mouse at home, and it works great for ordinary use (not games). For some reason I found a trackball where you control the ball with your fingers to be much easier to use than one where you use your thumb. At least I am much more nimble with my fingers than with my thumb.

Lodbrok on
  • adamadam Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If you guys want a really cool mouse get a HP wireless laser mini mouse, if you push the button in the back in jumps open and a AA battery comes out. Almost like a smuggling compartment. also the USB thing is super slim and fits underneath the mouse and you slide it and insert into your comp. Laptops work really well with it.

adam on
  • JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Anyone who uses an intellimouse or a logitech anything should try a deathadder, and then cry tears as they were conned into wasting their money on an overmarketed piece of crap.

JohnDoe on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I loved the OP mouse, had it YEARS ago. then one day a friend threw a ball in my room, it hit into some wanton soup, and the mouse was history.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    Anyone who uses an intellimouse or a logitech anything should try a deathadder, and then cry tears as they were conned into wasting their money on an overmarketed piece of crap.

The Deathadder is actually the most comfortable mouse I've used in a long time. I don't care about the DPI of it or the fact that you can change the sensitivity on the fly -- the fact that it fits the way I hold mice made it perfect for me. Plus the two buttons on the thumb side are great for going back / forwards through folder structures. (To the person complaining about them -- you press the one towards the front of the mouse with the tip of your thumb, whilst the fleshy part of your thumb below the knuckle presses the one below it so you're just rocking your thumb slightly. It works a treat.)

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Urgh, a little part of me dies when I realise people buy this marketed crap.. oh blue leds! It must be faster than all the others... le sigh...

51484-da_and_habu2.jpg

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

It's not the same thing at all, while they are the same DPI, razer uses a different type of infrared sensor, which gives much better tracking precision than anything logitech offers.

They both use the Agilent ADNS-3080 sensor. They essentially have the same internals and the only real differences are the flashable firmware, ergonomics, and software drivers on the razer.

stigweard on
    edited June 2008
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    Urgh, a little part of me dies when I realise people buy this marketed crap.. oh blue leds! It must be faster than all the others... le sigh...

51484-da_and_habu2.jpg

Or maybe, just maybe people actually take the way something looks into account when they buy things and not just performance.

LittleBoots on

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Or maybe, just maybe people actually take the way something looks into account when they buy things and not just performance.

This.

It fits my hands perfectly and is made of nice soft plastic. If I'm having my hand against something for hours on end it has to be comfortable, which is exactly what the Razer is.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
    edited June 2008
    stigweard wrote: »

They both use the Agilent ADNS-3080 sensor. They essentially have the same internals and the only real differences are the flashable firmware, ergonomics, and software drivers on the razer.
    Hmm, well if that is indeed the case the razer firmware must be a hell of a lot better than logitechs, seeing as how the deathadder maintains pointer precision to almost double the speed the 518 does.
    51477-perfect.png

taliosfalcon on
    edited June 2008
    Will someone please explain what the hell that chart means?

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    stigweard wrote: »

Hmm, well if that is indeed the case the razer firmware must be a hell of a lot better than logitechs, seeing as how the deathadder maintains pointer precision to almost double the speed the 518 does.
    http://www.esreality.com/files/placeimages/2007/51477-perfect.png

Oops, I read Diamondback and not Deathadder. They are completely different generations and completely different hardware.

stigweard on
    edited June 2008
    Will someone please explain what the hell that chart means?
    It's the speed each mouse maintains it's tracking at, in meters per second. The green bar is perfect control, so up to the speed where its green bar ends each mouse behaves pretty much flawlessly, speeds the orange bar covers will kinda work, but be erratic with stuttering and random jerks, past where the orange bar ends they won't track at all.

taliosfalcon on
    edited June 2008
    So you've gotta be able to accurately move your hand that fast to be able to tell the difference, right?

Now I understand why "gaming" mice have never appealed to me:

I'm not a chipmunk on coke

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    yeah i don't think i move my mouse at speeds higher than 2 meters per second.

Dehumanized on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    31NEVSTGBVL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

This is beautiful.

The only problem is that the rollers get gunked up occasionally. One of these using the Logitech Marbel-Mouse red and black speckled ball thing would be pure and utter awesome.

But the blue plastic orb is nice as well.

MechMantis on
This discussion has been closed.