As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for a cheap Apple to run Skype

durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
So. I am working as a consultant with a guy who is a huge Mac zealot. He's got me working on an old Cube right now. It would be really useful to be able to run the newer Skype. Unfortunately, the old Cube can't handle that, and it's pretty much a no-go to upgrade it.

We need something cheap, made by Apple (though it can be sold by anyone), with specs high enough to at least install OS 10.4, 10.5 would be nice though. Also, obviously, it should run the newest version of Skype.

Right now I'm looking at either a new Mac Mini for $600, or an older one for $500.

Any other potential fits that are cheaper/the same price? It doesn't have to be a powerhouse, just solid and cheap.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
durandal4532 on

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    ya, I'd go with the Mac Mini if it has to be cheap.

Why does it have to be a Mac though? You can pretty much run skype on your toaster now.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Low End Mac has a Deals page that would be good to plumb through if looking for the cheapest possible Macs. But if you don't feel like searching through all the sites it references, just try here:

http://www.powermax.com/

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Thanks, they have a pre-owned 1.25 gHz for $389, new lowest price.

Also, it has to be a Mac because this guy has owned almost every generation of Apple computers at some point, starting with the Apple II when he was a kid. He really digs them.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    And quite rightly too :)

ben0207 on
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If only you lived in Edmonton. I'm looking to offload my first-gen Intel iMac. :P

Kris on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2008
    Also, from my own experience, Skype on Mac is a lot better than Skype on PC. Our people run it on a Mac, and the guys from other schools running it from PCs are always having issues with it. Could be coincidence, of course.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Vater5BVater5B Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So. I am working as a consultant with a guy who is a huge Mac zealot. He's got me working on an old Cube right now. It would be really useful to be able to run the newer Skype. Unfortunately, the old Cube can't handle that, and it's pretty much a no-go to upgrade it.

We need something cheap, made by Apple (though it can be sold by anyone), with specs high enough to at least install OS 10.4, 10.5 would be nice though. Also, obviously, it should run the newest version of Skype.

Right now I'm looking at either a new Mac Mini for $600, or an older one for $500.

Any other potential fits that are cheaper/the same price? It doesn't have to be a powerhouse, just solid and cheap.

If I recall correctly, the cube was a G4 right? Why can't it run Skype? I have a G3 iMac running 10.4.11 and iWork '08 on 512 MB of RAM with only a 350 MHz processor. I mean, if you really need a new Mac, then a mini seems to be what you need, but dropping some RAM in the cube seems like it would be cheaper and still work.

Vater5B on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]