As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Screw Crosscountry, I'm going for Cross Hemi!

switzky21switzky21 __BANNED USERS regular
edited January 2007 in PAX Archive
Hi all,

My name is Alex, (Switzky to everyone, though) I have been reading Penny Arcade since I was 9 (16 now). I live in Melbourne, Australia.

I want to go to PAX. I have a job, but it's surprisingly low paying (EB Games are CHEAPSKATES). I am from America originally, and do have relatives in certain places that are not Washington.

How can I get there? More importantly, how can I convince my parents to let me go?

I am willing to go above and beyond the call of common sense for Penny Arcade, but I will need help.

Thank you in advance, all of you.

switzky21 on

• ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The first thing to know: It's been done before, so there's precedent.

Next: you need money. Hmm. That could be a problem. Okay, here's two ways to do it:

1) Stow away on a steamship, among crates of bananas

2) Stow away on a steamship, among crates of papayas.

The choice is yours.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • switzky21switzky21 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    And if those fruits aren't in season?

switzky21 on
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    switzky21 wrote:

Those fruits are -always- in season.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    TehSpectre wrote:
    switzky21 wrote:

Those fruits are -always- in season.

It will be winter in Austrailia though. Perhaps he should stow away on a ship filled with wool. Austrailian wool.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • djdoomikedjdoomike Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sell weed.

or save money up the honest way. I usually choose the latter.

djdoomike on
    edited January 2007
    Cronus wrote:
    It will be winter in Austrailia though. Perhaps he should stow away on a ship filled with sheep. Australian sheep.

Fixed. Warmth and entertainment!

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
  • Mo1sonMo1son Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ask for an early advance on the next 4 years Christmas + Birthday. Alternately, get a second job.

Mo1son on
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm guessing you'd have an easier time with pretty much all of your complications if you could convince one of your relatives here in the States to make the trip as well. I imagine it would comfort your parents a great deal.

CyberJackal on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    one word: stowaway

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    dyaballikl wrote:
    one word: stowaway

Be careful of the sailors. They get quite lonely on those long journeys across the ocean.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
    edited January 2007
    Yeah yeah, we worked that out already. All except one question:

Bananas, Papayas or Wool?

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    edited January 2007
    Stowing away is out of the question, where are you going to find SHIPS these days? Jesus.

The advance on Birthdays/Christmas's might work, and I honestly don't have time for a second job. I'm in the big years of Aussie schooling, and all my spare time is taken up by my girlfriend or World of Warcraft...

switzky21 on
    edited January 2007
    Now I've heard everything. Is another Naxx run really worth missing PAX? I seriously fucking doubt it.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • jieunjieun Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Look here... Some of us are very lucky to be living in the area and being able to hop in our cars for a half an hour drive to go to PAX

But unfortunately, you aren't as lucky.

It's your choice whether you want to spend more time w/ the gf or playing WoW than going to PAX.

If that's what you want to do with your time, if that's about the most effort you want to make (FORUMZ HALP ME), then you're not gonna end up being able to go anytime soon.

Get off your butt or plan for PAX'10.

jieun on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The only upside to being a WoW player is the fact you prolly won't spend any money on games other then the monthly fee. On the other hand having a second job would really show how dedicated you are to go to PAX if you need to borrow money from your parents.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2007
    TNTrooper wrote:
    The only upside to being a WoW player is the fact you prolly won't spend any money on games other then the monthly fee. On the other hand having a second job would really show how dedicated you are to go to PAX if you need to borrow money from your parents.

That's a very good point on both counts.

Well, I've gone having few shifts at EB Games to having none. I'm not fired, per se, but for some reason they just don't have any hours for me this month.

On the plus side, my dad and my old boss at EB who has since moved on to better things have given me the opportunity to make quite a bit of cash if what they're offering doesn't dissolve. I'll have another talk with my parents soon and see if we can work something out.

I'll keep you guys posted.

switzky21 on
This discussion has been closed.