As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What you didn't know about the games you play

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hey TSR, do you know what the purpose of the single broken badnik in Quartz Quadrant is? I haven't found any others through the course of the game.

They're elsewhere in the game. They're badnik's from the past. If you travel to the past, you'll notice there are fewer enemies. When you go to the present, those enemies from the past are now old and broken in their locations, and other locations have new enemies.

When you travel to the future, the old broken enemies are gone, and the ones from the present are old and broken, with new enemies appearing in different locations.

It's neat, because robots actually age in Sonic CD.

TheSonicRetard on
  • CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    TSR, I just found this thread this morning, but I must congratulate you on your posts, as you have made quite a good thread here. I'm not a fan of the sonic games, but I find your posts interesting. Keep up the good work.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • ferrarimanf355ferrarimanf355 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't know if this is a glitch or the typical EA quality, but in the X360 version of Need For Speed Carbon, when I was getting chased by the cops in the Vegas-esque district in my Lamborghinin Murcielago, the car just dissappeared and all that was left was a shadow. I could still control the car, though, and the shadow remained throughout the rest of the chase, even in the cutscene when I got arrested. Did this happen to anyone else? :?
    Lemme just add to this. I fired up NFS Carbon today, and while getting into another cop chase, at pursuit level 2, I think it was, I rammed into an unmarked pursuit sedan, and the front doors dissappeared into shadows, too. The front doors are supposed to come off the hinges, but not fall off. And those shadows were still there. And yes, I was driving the Murcielago again. I think it's official: sloppy programming at work here. :v:

ferrarimanf355 on
    tifosiotaku-forumgames.png
    Get your own Gamercard Sig.
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Does anybody know why they removed all the Big the Cat appearances from Sonic Adventure 2 Battle?

FyreWulff on
  • core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh god, you just reminded me of Liberty City Stories. Great game, but little glitches everywhere. For instance, once I got thrown from a motorcycle after hitting the curb, and I ended up knee-deep in the ground. Had to run and jump around for about 5 minutes before I got out.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have no idea how this happened, but here's the story.

I'm riding my shiny new bike down in vice city(this is the original game). I fly off a jump, and...HOLY SHIT!! I fall through the map. I'm just hangin there for a couple minutes, then...*pop* I'm standing in the middle of the street on the other side of the island. IT was really fuckin wierd.

Gorilla Salad on
    edited January 2007
    I remember Playing AVP2, and I was a facehugger in multiplayer. I start climbing up a box, fall off and FALL OFF THE MAP. It just got smaller and smaller until I just died.

core tactic on
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    What? I was pretty sure he turned into a giant green monster thing that was in no relation to a pig.

Yes, a giant green monster that just happens to look like a mutant pig/boar.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    What? I was pretty sure he turned into a giant green monster thing that was in no relation to a pig.

That is also not green.

Well, unless the color values are all fucked up on your TV.

JJ on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fascinating stuff, TSR.

I'm already familiar with most of it, but everything I don't know is awesome, and whatever I *do* already know is being told well.

Good job. :^:

TheySlashThem on
  • Ninja BotNinja Bot Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    These mentions of GTA remind me of one of my favorite parts of San Andreas: exploring Liberty City. That's right, you can explore most of the Portland island, here's how.
    During the mission St. Mark's Bistro, during the last part there is a fence you can jump over a wall with the super jumps code and explore most of the island. A lot of the surfaces aren't solid and there's quite a few missing textures. If you fall through you fall a long ass way, like at least twice as far as you can fly up to normally. You eventually fall into a completely empty ocean that goes on forever as far as I can tell.

Ninja Bot on
  • DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Any mention of the Metroid secret worlds?

My personal favourites were the ones found in Metroid 2. The giant area full of pieces of chozo statues and the like.

swpic127.gif

Hurry! Run from that large clump of font and sprite bits!

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Which clearly *IS* a boar/hog/pig according to Link to the Past (Ganon obtaining the TriForce caused the Golden Land to turn to the Dark World and his form to change to that reflected within his heart). He maintains his pig form exclusively in all games pre-TOoT (after TOoT in the timeline).

CZroe on
    edited January 2007
    CZroe wrote:

Which clearly *IS* a boar/hog/pig according to Link to the Past (Ganon obtaining the TriForce caused the Golden Land to turn to the Dark World and his form to change to that reflected within his heart). He maintains his pig form exclusively in all games pre-TOoT (after TOoT in the timeline).

Except Windwaker..Of course, that was supposed to happen about 100 years after OoT, and now they claim TP is at that time.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    CZroe wrote:

Except Windwaker..Of course, that was supposed to happen about 100 years after OoT, and now they claim TP is at that time.

hoi? When is TP set?

Blake T on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Has Nintendo ever suggested that all the Zelda games were a single timeline, or was this a fan-created idea?

TheySlashThem on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Windwaker is 1000 years after oot, not 100.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    When I played Freelancer online (Australia had a pretty solid server for a few months), I mounted about five Nomad Cannons during a lag spike, and they all went to the same hardpoint.

That made things unbalanced, but very entertaining.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think I glitched Super Mario Bros. once.

In the second level, in the underground place with the cool hips hops music playing, I accidentally jumped too high near the end and walked OVER the level! I got to go down super secret pipes!

But seriously.. the best glitch ever was the Mario 64 "almost ruin your game" glitch. You run around with Mario and while doing so slowly lift one side of your cartridge out of your N64 and Mario falls flat on his back. You can then pop the cartridge back in (to fix your effed up music) and you can glide on your back rather oddly until you jump.

The FF6 (3 in the USA) do the item dupe trick to wield 2 Illumina swords or bet at the Colliseum for no frills fun.

4rch3nemy on
  • racyrefinedrajracyrefinedraj Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    4rch3nemy wrote:
    But seriously.. the best glitch ever was the Mario 64 "almost ruin your game" glitch. You run around with Mario and while doing so slowly lift one side of your cartridge out of your N64...

There were a few on Zelda:Ocarina of Time that used this technique (It's how to get swordless link on the grey cart, for instance). Anyone know how this works. I thought it was some pretty serious voodoo magic while I was in middle school, but I've never actually known why it works.

And why was it always the left side of the cartridge? Was that where the "prevent crazy shit from happening" pin was located?

racyrefinedraj on
  • BlazeHedgehogBlazeHedgehog Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    CZroe wrote:
    ...Of course, all of the fun in doing this was ruined when Sonic Adventure DX hit the PC, because now there's trainers/hacks that automate this kind of shit for you...

OK, I recently purchased Sonic DX for PC. I intend this to be my first time through Sonic Adventure, and when I finish I'll want to check these out and move on through my backlog. Obviously, I can't waste much time. Where can I get these tools? GCW?

Unfortunately, it seems the guy who made it doesn't have a site anymore. Google "Gerbilsoft SADX Memory Editor" - 2.00 is the last version he released, I believe. Lets you force any level with any character to load, as I remember it.

BlazeHedgehog on
    edited January 2007
    Has Nintendo ever suggested that all the Zelda games were a single timeline, or was this a fan-created idea?

Miyamoto has stated somewhere that they are one timeline. In game evidence (references to "descendents," etc) seem to support this. But whether this is intentional or just a response to fans, who knows.

In any case, it's not really all that important. It's just kind of cool to have an epic, overarching story.

And I could have sworn that Wind Waker was supposed to be 100 years after Ocarina....Where did I read that? (Though I agree that 1000 makes WAY more sense...No way Zoras could have evolved that fast in 100 years).

Cameron_Talley on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    No way Zoras could have evolved that fast in 100 years).

Hey now. Hyrule is creationism country. Next thing you'll tell me is the Kokiri evolved from monkeys.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
    edited January 2007
    apotheos wrote:

Hey now. Hyrule is creationism country. Next thing you'll tell me is the Kokiri evolved from monkeys.

What I never got is why the Zoras had to evolve in the first place.

"We live in the water and we're happy with that. SHIT, the whole country is flooding! Quickly, evolve wings and lungs!"

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    apotheos wrote:

No, but they evolved into little plant critters.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Davoid wrote:
    apotheos wrote:

"We live in the water and we're happy with that. SHIT, the whole country is flooding! Quickly, evolve wings and lungs!"

Possibly they couldn't survive in the ocean habitat like they could in a river/lake habitat.

Undead Scottsman on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    From my understanding the Zora's became the fish...

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
    edited January 2007
    Davoid wrote:
    apotheos wrote:

Possibly they couldn't survive in the ocean habitat like they could in a river/lake habitat.

I guess, to me it just seemed like nature itself realized "Oh man, there'll probably be some hero coming about sometime, and most likely he won't be able to swim on down to what will be a Zora metropolas. Give those suckers some wings."
    SirToons wrote:

There was a cutscene that debunked that, if I recall correctly, involving a zora being an ancestor of that bird chick.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have to go on a fantastic 5 day holiday now.

I am gonna miss the rest of TSR's sonic stuff.

Man, stupid holiday.

Unless someone wants to PM me the posts. ^_^

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Davoid wrote:
    Davoid wrote:
    apotheos wrote:

I guess, to me it just seemed like nature itself realized "Oh man, there'll probably be some hero coming about sometime, and most likely he won't be able to swim on down to what will be a Zora metropolas. Give those suckers some wings."
    SirToons wrote:

There was a cutscene that debunked that, if I recall correctly, involving a zora being an ancestor of that bird chick.

The vast, essentially fishless kinda works against that theory as well...

No, the Zoras are not fish. They are rito.

Aydr on
  • DJDeeJayDJDeeJay Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    First off, an obligatory salute to TSR for his Sonic info. I almost feel ashamed to admit that I never played / "got' that many of the Sonic games (we were a Nintendo family growing up, Dreamcast was my first Sega console I owned, but I did get Sonic Adventure for that), yet this information is amazing to read.

I've got a little contribution, may think of some more later. I have no idea how well known this is, but my brother and myself came across what we have dubbed the "Jebus Jump" in Saints Row.

Pretty much, when doing the Insurance Fraud activity, by hitting the "bail" just after jumping, you do an extra high jump, with arms outspread, and legs bent (make sure you're not sprinting, otherwise you will not pull it off). You can get to alot of unintended areas this way. There's one area where there are multiple mounds of dirt with (mining?) equipment inbetween them, with girders high off the ground that lead to a large ship on the nearby coast. Calling an ambulance (for a little more leverage) you can reach the girders, walk across them to the ship, and look around as half the city disappears first, then half of the ocean. The jump isn't amazingly high, but it's enough that if you can get your crumpled body to lay momentarily on on otherwise innaccesable surface, you can usually hit the bail button again to quickly stand up, and jump from that surface.

That's the only recent one I can think of. All my older ones where gameshark / action replay / what-have-you related. Like in Goldeneye for the N64, there was a code that when you pushed the button on the GS, you would shoot a very fast stream of "mega bullets". If used in the Facility level in multiplayer, this would destroy the door that was past the hallway with the (body armor?) at the end, and you could explore the rest of the single player level in multiplayer.

DJDeeJay on
    FrozenMonk.png
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Davoid wrote:
    apotheos wrote:

A lot of people say that, but unless the Termian Zoras are a wildly different sepcies, Majora's Mask says otherwise. All Zoras in that game live in "The Great Bay", which is salt water.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2007
    plufim wrote:
    Davoid wrote:
    apotheos wrote:

A lot of people say that, but unless the Termian Zoras are a wildly different sepcies, Majora's Mask says otherwise. All Zoras in that game live in "The Great Bay", which is salt water.

Yea, I was going to bring that up, but figured I'd get jumped on because "Termina isn't Hyrule."

But to get back on topic, Metroid Secret Worlds are still my favourite game glitch. Metroid 2's completely extended the replayability into like, infinity for me.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    TSR, I have to say that everything you've been posting is utterly fascinating. Thanks for taking the time to do all this

Jragghen on
  • TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Miyamoto has stated somewhere that they are one timeline.

turnazelda.jpg

Tiemler on
  • TibrisXVIITibrisXVII Registered User new member
    edited January 2007
    Davoid wrote:
    plufim wrote:
    Davoid wrote:
    apotheos wrote:

Yea, I was going to bring that up, but figured I'd get jumped on because "Termina isn't Hyrule."

But to get back on topic, Metroid Secret Worlds are still my favourite game glitch. Metroid 2's completely extended the replayability into like, infinity for me.
    It was the Goddesses who sealed and flooded Old Hyrule so I always thought that the forced the transformation of the Zoras into the Rito in order to prevent them from prematurely breaking the seal somehow before the hero returned. As far as whether or not the Zora can survive in Salt water, I think I recall, in Twilight Princess, [spoiler:6983914510]mention of the "barbaric Ocean Zora" leading me to think that in, Hyrule at least, River and Ocean Zora are two different species and that the River Zora are the more civilized of the two. [/spoiler:6983914510]

TibrisXVII on
    edited January 2007
    I seem to remember in Oracle of Seasons where you had to jump into the ocean and go to a Zora city.

core tactic on
  • CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    TibrisXVII wrote:
    Davoid wrote:
    plufim wrote:
    Davoid wrote:
    apotheos wrote:

It was the Goddesses who sealed and flooded Old Hyrule so I always thought that the forced the transformation of the Zoras into the Rito in order to prevent them from prematurely breaking the seal somehow before the hero returned. As far as whether or not the Zora can survive in Salt water, I think I recall, in Twilight Princess, [spoiler:1d58f713b2]mention of the "barbaric Ocean Zora" leading me to think that in, Hyrule at least, River and Ocean Zora are two different species and that the River Zora are the more civilized of the two. [/spoiler:1d58f713b2]

Umm, the Zora were baddies in LttP... except the one that takes 500 rupees for some flippers and still lets his/her minions attack you.

CZroe on
  • Giga GopherGiga Gopher Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    DJDeeJay wrote:
    "Jebus Jump"

Damn, I thought I had found that.

Giga Gopher on
    My friend's band - Go on, have a listen
    Cannon+Goose.png
    Oh it's such a nice day, I think I'll go out the window! Whoa!
  • BrueBrue Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think I am in the majority here in I played through a couple sonic games (1&2 , not all of them, nor do I consider myself a huge sonic fan), and yet everything TSR says fascinates me. Its like some sort of crazy jedi mindtrick, I look forward to the post continuing whenever he wakes up.

Brue on