As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Questions? Answers!- The General Questions Thread

• FabricateFabricate __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    give some guidelines

you cant just say TELL ME WHAT TO BUY

thats like saying TELL ME WHAT MOVIE TO WATCH

narrow that shit down son

I more or less trust the internet's judgement in pointing me in the direction of something good, as I have no real preferences in what I like to read. As long as it doesn't suck I'm coo' with it.

You should get Arkham Asylum: Living Hell, if you like Batman villains.

I'm totally planning on getting this once I get more money, since borders doesnt have it and I want the copy with the script in the back anyway.

KVW wrote: »

Sandman isn't expensive unless you're buying the Absolutes. It should be like $10 on Amazon, probably cheaper on eBay for the trades.

It's pretty hard to tell you what to buy though with so little to work with. Watchman and 100 Bullets seem like good purchases. Don't think you need convincing otherwise.

Borders has it at $20 per trade D: (or so)
    And its more or less something in-addition to, as I'm saving a bit of money for Batman and Son next week.

Fabricate on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You should read Powers or Y: The Last Man then

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I am going to throw out a reccomendation for Promethea.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Fabricate wrote: »
    give some guidelines

you cant just say TELL ME WHAT TO BUY

thats like saying TELL ME WHAT MOVIE TO WATCH

narrow that shit down son

I more or less trust the internet's judgement in pointing me in the direction of something good, as I have no real preferences in what I like to read. As long as it doesn't suck I'm coo' with it.

You should get Arkham Asylum: Living Hell, if you like Batman villains.

I'm totally planning on getting this once I get more money, since borders doesnt have it and I want the copy with the script in the back anyway.

KVW wrote: »

Sandman isn't expensive unless you're buying the Absolutes. It should be like $10 on Amazon, probably cheaper on eBay for the trades.

It's pretty hard to tell you what to buy though with so little to work with. Watchman and 100 Bullets seem like good purchases. Don't think you need convincing otherwise.

Borders has it at $20 per trade D: (or so)
    And its more or less something in-addition to, as I'm saving a bit of money for Batman and Son next week.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=50014

It's for people new to comics, but it's basically a recommendations thread.

Since your buying mostly Vertigo stuff in your small list, look into Fables, Y: The Last Man and Sandman / Lucifer when you get some extra funds.

If you want recent stuff, like how you have Batman & Son, the Sinestro Corps War just got finished up in trade format, so you buy Vol 1 and 2 of that or grab Marvel's first Annihilation (you could get by with just Book 3 if you want, others are prelude stuff).

DC: The New Frontier is, in my opinion, the greatest story ever told from DC and should be read by everyone. There's Kingdom Come, Dark Knight Returns, Batman Year One, Long Halloween, Superman: Red Son and several other noteworthy trades from DC you could look into. If you want a random series, Manhunter, Blue Beetle, Catwoman (start from Bru and Cooke's relaunch), Checkmate, Shadowpact, and several others.

On Marvel's side, you could look into several of the Omnibii for Stan Lee era stuff. The Silver Surfer one is amazing as are the ASM and Fantastic Four versions. Grant Morrison's New X-Men is another great set of trades to get into. Marvels from Busiek and Ross was incredible, too. Nextwave for irreverant Warren Ellis insanity should be had on the cheap. Kraven's Last Hunt was recently released in a new Premiere HC version (not sure about regular TPB) and is one of Spidey's greatest stories. Brubaker and Fraction's Immortal Iron Fist's first trade and I think the second is due out real soon is a must, as is Bru's entire (yes, all of it) Captain America run.

From indy stuff, you could get Scott Pilgrim, Atomic Robo, Mouse Guard, Sky Doll (well, it's coming from Marvel, but there are old UK versions in English already), Astro City (Confessor story specifically), Pride of Bahgdad, WE3, The Walking Dead, Invincible (technically it's from Image, but indy enough for me), Transmetropolitan, Criminal, Powers and a bazillion others.

But, again, it comes down to what you like, what you already own and we know nothing about that other than the 3 or 4 books you already listed.

KVW on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    What's Batman and Son?
    Also I wholeheartedly endorse recommendations of Powers
    Start at volume 4 or 5, though. The first three arcs are available for free at http://hiddenrobot.com/PDAILY, and volume 4 is winding down through the same link

Me Too! on
    edited June 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    What's Batman and Son?
    Start at volume 4 or 5, though. The first three arcs are available for free at http://hiddenrobot.com/PDAILY, and volume 4 is winding down through the same link

Grant Morrison's first trade on Batman with Damian and what not.

KVW on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Batman & Son is just a trade collecting some of Grant Morrison's run on Batman.

Robos A Go Go on
  • FabricateFabricate __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    What's Batman and Son?

this

They discuss a lot about it in Batman R.I.P which I'm going to get once (they have to it doesnt make sense not to) get it in a trade.

Fabricate on
    edited June 2008
    Batman & Son was Morisson's first story arc on Batman

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    While we're on the topic of buying books, I'd like some suggestions. I'm wanting to pick up some Superman books. I've been collecting the Geoff Johns Action Comics run, and I was collecting Busiek's Superman as well, both of which have been pretty good. But I'm wanting some good Superman books. Like really good.

Books I already own:
    -Superman For All Seasons
    -Superman Sacrifice
    -Superman For Tomorrow Volume 1 & 2

In addition, I also own DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore which has some good Superman stuff in it. But beyond that I'm not really sure what else to get. He's one of my favorite characters, but sadly it seems like many people just don't know how to write him properly.

Lucascraft on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    all-star superman, absolutely

there's one trade out already

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Red Son, silly

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh. I have all 11 issues of All-Star already. Forgot to mention that. Thank you though, as it is completely wonderful. Easily the best Superman I've ever read.

Lucascraft on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Superman: Birthright

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    well, i would then recommend trying the Showcase Presents collections of silver age superman, especially if you enjoy all-star. i think that stuff is really quintessential superman.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'd recommend the Byrne Man of Steel miniseries, and any issues of his Superman/Action run (you can usually find these in quarter boxes).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Oh, and if you like both Alan Moore and Superman, you can read Moore's entire run of SUPREME (the Liefeld knockoff Superman character) at www.wowio.com for free (but you'll have to give it a few weeks, they're retooling the site for international use).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Why was Alan Moore writing a Rob Liefield knock-off character?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2008
    Probably a mix of money, and the ability to do a bunch of stuff with the character that he couldn't do with Superman.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Why was Alan Moore writing a Rob Liefield knock-off character?

The same reason JMS was.

[EDIT] Okay, not by Liefeld, but still.

TeaSpoon on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Red Son, silly

Yes yesss

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i have all the superman trades suggested and birthright is my favorite by far, followed by red son.

also, after some cleaning i decided to count how many trades i have. i'm kind of freaked out by how much money i've spent in the last two years on these books.

Angry on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Just don't think about it, that's how I cope :)

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Here's a question, what good Doctor Strange books are there? I liked him in New Avengers and I read my friend's Avenger's Illuminati book. Are there any "must read" Doctor Strange books?

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
    edited June 2008
    Doctor Strange: The Oath is the first one that comes to mind.

He was also a lead character in X-Statix Presents: Dead Girl, which I enjoyed.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2008
    yes The Oath is a must read

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    The original Lee/Ditko run can be had in Essential format - the stories still hold up fairly well.

Roger Stern had a terrific run on the character, but I doubt those issues are available in TPB.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The Oath is only 11 bucks on amazon, sweet. I will probably pick that up once I figure out what other trades I want to get off amazon, to get free shipping of course. :P

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh man the Oath is so damn good. Everyone should read it.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Dr Strange and Dr Doom in Triumph and Torment is my favourite.

KVW on
  • NewtronNewtron Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Here's a question, what good Doctor Strange books are there? I liked him in New Avengers and I read my friend's Avenger's Illuminati book. Are there any "must read" Doctor Strange books?

Unfortunately, Strange tends to be more of a support character than a starring one, thus his true starring roles (namely in the silver age) are particularly weak.

The Oath (as already mentioned) is a really good Doctor Strange story,

If you're REALLY curious, you could pick up an "Essentials" or "Strange Tales" trade of his, but I'm of the opinion that a lot of old Dr.Strange isn't that great (with a few notable exceptions: the Shuma-Gorath storyline, the Blackheart stories, and some stuff around the time of his first appearance).

I heard theres supposed to be some "Doctor Strange only" story coming up with him having gone away to kind of test himself and his worthiness as sorcerer supreme.

Anyways, I hate how Doctor Strange is more of a side character. He has the capacity to be a really, REALLY awesome solo Marvel character, but few seem to able to write him well (although hes pretty cool anyways). He also seems to teeter on being unimaginably powerful, being not so powerful, and being unimaginably powerful but not being able to do anything because of cosmic rules and laws.

edit: edited for mistakes, and OMIGOD this forum is moving so slow right now.

Newtron on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I really liked Superman Birthright and Superman: Secret Identity which is not an in-continuity Superman story.

Lux on
    edited June 2008
    Is there a good resource for checking up on planned OHC releases? They really are my favorite format and I'd really hate to buy the little smaller HCs only to have the oversized ones come out later.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    Also am I crazy or do the 2nd and 3rd Runaways hardcovers overlap

amazon says the 2nd one is 1-18 of the 2nd series and that the 3rd is 12-24

thats cant be right can it

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HankScorpioHankScorpio Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Also am I crazy or do the 2nd and 3rd Runaways hardcovers overlap

amazon says the 2nd one is 1-18 of the 2nd series and that the 3rd is 12-24

thats cant be right can it

I'm pretty sure thats a typo. I don't have my copies handy since they are in storage, but if I remember right the 2nd is 1-12 the 3rd is 13-24. In fact I know that's what it is because I picked up the 2nd hardcover and started getting Runaways singles at the same time starting with #19 because I thought that the 2nd hardcover was going to be the same length as the 1st, but it wasn't.

HankScorpio on
    Scorpiohank.png
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I got the Starman Omnibus and it's mostly awesome

except even though it says right there in the intro that they're supposed to collect the Shade's Journals, the first one is nowhere to be found in the volume

anyone know what's up with that

are they all going to be collected later or what?

Sars_Boy on
    edited June 2008
    Speaking of omnibuses

Is there a reason for me to not buy Jack Kirby's Fourth World Vol. 1?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    nope

Sars_Boy on
    edited June 2008
    Cool. $26 on Amazon seems like a solid buy to me.

Now someone answer Sars' question

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited June 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    So I got the Starman Omnibus and it's mostly awesome

except even though it says right there in the intro that they're supposed to collect the Shade's Journals, the first one is nowhere to be found in the volume

anyone know what's up with that

are they all going to be collected later or what?

Sounds like someone at DC fucked up. Shocking, given their recent track record of excellence.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
This discussion has been closed.