As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Good Vent Headset?

DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
This could technically go in a few other places, but I'm only interested in its application when playing MMO's, so I'm posting here. ;P

I use my 360 controller and headset for skype and vent because, well, I already own the darn things. The biggest convenience for me is the USB connection (so I can still use my speakers for non-VoIP functions) and the single ear headphone (so I can enjoy those speakers fully while still chatting). A friend of mine is sold on the same idea, he usually uses a double ear headset. Are there any nicer single ear headsets that you guys use in your guild servers, other than the one for the 360?

What is this I don't even.
Darkewolfe on

• HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Obligatory Sennheiser recommendation.

Hamurabi on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I really like Logitech headsets. I had an old one that came with my Unreal Tournament 2K4 pre-order that I used for years. It finally died so I bought a USB one that served me well for a while, but one of the headphones died. I haven't found a mic I liked better yet, so I just play everything through my speakers and still use the mic.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ugh, I hate seperate mics. The advantage to a mic headset is that you can have the voices on a seperate channel, coming straight into your one earpiece, while you have game sounds coming out of the speakers. It's easier to process both that way, I think.

Darkewolfe on
    edited June 2008
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Obligatory Sennheiser recommendation.

See, that's my problem. All the fancy ones go over both ears. I only want a headset speaker on one ear. Like this one, but less junky.

Darkewolfe on
  • HembotHembot Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I prefer a separate mic and some good headphones. I've got some Sony's I spent a grip on. They are well worth it. I've had the logitecs and granted I always got the cheapy's. The ear foam always rubs off and my ears get irritated from that little plastic loop over the top anyways. I just suck taking them off and banging the mic on shit too. The shape is akward for storage....+ I like having bomb ass headphones for all my general apps anyways.

Hembot on
  • downerdowner Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Ugh, I hate seperate mics. The advantage to a mic headset is that you can have the voices on a seperate channel, coming straight into your one earpiece, while you have game sounds coming out of the speakers. It's easier to process both that way, I think.

Depending on the volume of your speakers, and the ability of your headset to parse your voice from outside noise, your set-up will just make it more difficult for everyone else to process what they're hearing.

I've got my own soundcard and speakers/headphones, I don't need to hear the game when you talk on voice chat, too. :]

I also use a seperate mic and headphones. I have a good pair of Sennheisser headphones and a decent microphone I picked up at Best Buy. And if I'm using voice comm., I never use my speakers.

downer on
  • FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    downer wrote: »
    And if I'm using voice comm., I never use my speakers.

This. That is incredibly irritating for everyone in the same channel as you.

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2008
    Fodder wrote: »
    downer wrote: »
    And if I'm using voice comm., I never use my speakers.

This. That is incredibly irritating for everyone in the same channel as you.

I keep my volume at a level that, combined with the headset's parsing, no one gets any of my sound. It certainly is irritating when people aren't making sure that's true, though. But, since you can make it work without too much trouble, I think the benefit is really worth it.

Darkewolfe on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm going to recommend this with one of these even though it isn't really what you're asking. I've eschewed computer speakers altogether because those headphones are so amazing. $60 for the box that came with both headphones and mic. Oh, and those are six channel headphones so you can take full advantage of games with positional audio.

Nova_C on
  • WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My ears are over-heating just looking at those.

Am I the only one who's ears gets super hot with those gargantuan headphones that cover half your head?

Wavechaser on
  • FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I'm going to recommend this with one of these even though it isn't really what you're asking. I've eschewed computer speakers altogether because those headphones are so amazing. $60 for the box that came with both headphones and mic. Oh, and those are six channel headphones so you can take full advantage of games with positional audio.
    I used to have that same setup and it worked great for the time I had them until the headset broke. The only downside of them was that it was difficult to work out which of the plugs went in where since they weren't USB.

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wavechaser wrote: »

Am I the only one who's ears gets super hot with those gargantuan headphones that cover half your head?

I have a set of Sennheiser HD515 headphones that are "Open-Aire" cans and there is almost no heat difference with them on or off.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Not a single-ear headset, as I can't stand those...

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/notebook_products/pc_headsets/devices/223&cl=us,en

That is what I use.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's kinda funny but the best headset I've had, which is a one-ear dealie with an attached mic, is the one I got for my PS2 years and years ago, and I still have it today.

It's USB, has great audio quality, and the mic works. Best damn headset ever, and of course works with a PC. :P

Toxic Pickle on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wavechaser wrote: »

No, mine do too, but those Zalman headphones are the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned. Sometimes I forget that I'm wearing them.

Nova_C on
  • KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    A good pair of Sennheisers (HD600) are infinitely better than any set of speakers.

People need to give up speakers for PC's.

Karrmer on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've gone through four pairs of headsets in the past two years. All four were Logitech, and all four either had a single earpiece short out, or the mic simply die. I don't think I'll ever use another headset for Vent again.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I use a plantronics gamecom 1 for the following reasons:

1. It's cheap
    2. It kills volume spikes like woah so nerdrage fits will hopefully not cost me the ability to listen to my future grandchildren
    3. They'll last at least a year, probably two if you store them some place that isn't the floor when not in use.
    4. It's cheap, we're talking $20-40.

It might work for you since there is apparently a 1 ear version. If you are an audiophile I wouldn't recommend it but if you just want headphones that are good enough to not be rubbish they're great.

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • bombcarbombcar Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that I use the thousand dollar Bose Aviation headset for Ventrillo. It works exceptionally well, however.

I did buy it to use in the plane, but still.

bombcar on
  • CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Not exactly what the OP is looking for, but I use:

http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/en_US/products/computer/multi-use-headsets/audio-350

Each pair lasts 8 months to a year.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • Crazy49erCrazy49er Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Not a single-ear headset, as I can't stand those...

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/notebook_products/pc_headsets/devices/223&cl=us,en

That is what I use.

same here.... I had to pull off the foam pads though, they got dirty and I have no early idea how to clean them o_O

its a great set though, I've had it over a year now and no problems... works well with vent, TS, and not half bad listening to music either

Crazy49er on
    Nova Incantus
    Merch Industrial - An EVE ONLINE community
    Need to know more? Just ask
  • zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I really enjoy using a standard bluetooth earpiece for Ventrilo. That way I don't have to mess with all the wires and it's easier to get up out of the chair and move around and still be able to hear and talk to people.

As long as you have a bluetooth capable PC, pretty much any earpiece will work (pairing code is 0000). A lot of times these come free with new cell phones and people never use them. That's how I got mine, so ask around.

zanetheinsane on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    I have yanked my headset off of my head soooo many time

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Good enough thread. Are there any hardware or software solutions that will dip system volume to nearly 0 so people don't hear my speaker output (so much) while I'm talking?

I know Vent can't do this out of the box and I really wish it would :(

Ledneh on
  • ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Somewhat off-topic, but since everyone's talking about Vent and setups...

I have a mic, and both Vent and game sounds come through my speakers. I have my game sound as low as it can go while I can still hear it, but people tell me when I chat (using a push-to-talk key) they hear my game sounds as if it were on full volume. What can I do about that?

ringswraith on
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Get headphones.

Bigity on
    edited June 2008
    And headphones are supposed to do what? Or are you saying headphones will automatically split the voice chat from the other sounds?

ringswraith on
    edited June 2008
    No, they will keep you from blasting out everyone else on your vent server.

Bigity on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    CripTonic wrote: »
    Not exactly what the OP is looking for, but I use:

http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/en_US/products/computer/multi-use-headsets/audio-350

Each pair lasts 8 months to a year.

I have similar ones, but I believe mine is the '365' model.

Don't buy them for anymore than like $25. NCIX.COM has most plantronics headsets, and they're all dirt cheap compared to say, Futureshop.ca

NCIX for the 365 (Regular price $25.97)
    Futureshop for the 365 (Regular price $65.99) Seems like they've got em on-sale for the moment, but they were regular price last week when I was in there.

Also, how do I go about making only voices from Vent come through my headset and everything else come through my speakers?

Right now my 5.1 is in my Audigy card, and my headset is plugged into the black port too with a splitter... only way I could think of to get sound out of both at the same time.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    edited July 2008
    Bigity wrote: »

Sorry, I'm trying to understand how this works from a technical standpoint. I have a 5.1 soundcard, and all my sound comes through the speakers. I have a mic plugged into said card. If the sound's coming from the same source, how would having headphones change anything? I'd also get both game sounds and Vent on the headphones, and usually some of the guys on Vent come out so loud I would not want that noise coming that close to my ears.

ringswraith on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Bigity wrote: »

Sorry, I'm trying to understand how this works from a technical standpoint. I have a 5.1 soundcard, and all my sound comes through the speakers. I have a mic plugged into said card. If the sound's coming from the same source, how would having headphones change anything? I'd also get both game sounds and Vent on the headphones, and usually some of the guys on Vent come out so loud I would not want that noise coming that close to my ears.

Somehow people have it set that vent goes to the `phones and all other sounds go to the speakers.... or vice versa.

I'm also wondering how this can be done.

Figgy on
  • Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Im going to make a simple suggestion:
    Go USB, or Go Home.

Having the ability to get the voices from Vent to come in to your head set, and the sounds from your computer come out of your speakers is a wonderful thing.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • mfc144mfc144 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'd also get both game sounds and Vent on the headphones, and usually some of the guys on Vent come out so loud I would not want that noise coming that close to my ears.

Normalize your vent:

- Go to Setup

- Enable Direct Sound

- Select the SFX Button

- Select Compressor and click Add.

- Under Compressor Properties use the following settings

- Gain = Adjust for how loud you want people to be. (I use 15)

- Attack = 0.01

- Release = Around 500

- Threshold = Around -30

- Ratio = 100

- Pre delay = 4.0

This does wonders for both decreasing the loud people, and bumping up the quiet ones.
    Go here for a description of what each setting does:
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=112501444&sid=1&pageNo=1

I have that headset and love it.

mfc144 on
    edited July 2008
    mfc144 wrote: »
    I'd also get both game sounds and Vent on the headphones, and usually some of the guys on Vent come out so loud I would not want that noise coming that close to my ears.

Normalize your vent:

- Go to Setup

- Enable Direct Sound

- Select the SFX Button

- Select Compressor and click Add.

- Under Compressor Properties use the following settings

- Gain = Adjust for how loud you want people to be. (I use 15)

- Attack = 0.01

- Release = Around 500

- Threshold = Around -30

- Ratio = 100

- Pre delay = 4.0

This does wonders for both decreasing the loud people, and bumping up the quiet ones.
    Go here for a description of what each setting does:
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=112501444&sid=1&pageNo=1

I have that headset and love it.

Thanks! Will definitely check those suggestions out.

ringswraith on
    edited July 2008
    Im going to make a simple suggestion:
    Go USB, or Go Home.

Having the ability to get the voices from Vent to come in to your head set, and the sounds from your computer come out of your speakers is a wonderful thing.

See, this is what I don't understand. Wouldn't I need to tell my system and/or Vent somehow to make Vent be the only sound coming to the headset? How would I do that?

ringswraith on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If you have your headset plugged into the speaker output by way of a splitter, your computer doesn't know that: it only knows you have something plugged into your speaker port. Your speakers and headset need to be plugged into different ports (such as speakers in audio, headset in USB) for channel splitting to be possible.

Opty on
    edited July 2008
    Opty wrote: »
    If you have your headset plugged into the speaker output by way of a splitter, your computer doesn't know that: it only knows you have something plugged into your speaker port. Your speakers and headset need to be plugged into different ports (such as speakers in audio, headset in USB) for channel splitting to be possible.

Figured as much.

Is there a way in vent to isolate the voices to say, the rear speakers?

Figgy on
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I just bought a fancy Bluetooth headset for my phone, since the state of California has decided to help out hands-free device manufacturers with this amazingly dense piece of legislation*. Anyway, the one I bought claims to have uses noise canceling technology developed by DARPA. Basically, I'm thinking this will work while I have my speakers blasting and thus not make me a total jerk exposing everyone to what's coming out of my speakers.

Now I just gotta find one of those USB Bluetooth adapters for my PC.

*Dense because all credible studies on the matter show no difference in reaction times for those holding a cell phone to their face and those on a hands free device.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    meatflower wrote: »
    I just bought a fancy Bluetooth headset for my phone, since the state of California has decided to help out hands-free device manufacturers with this amazingly dense piece of legislation*. Anyway, the one I bought claims to have uses noise canceling technology developed by DARPA. Basically, I'm thinking this will work while I have my speakers blasting and thus not make me a total jerk exposing everyone to what's coming out of my speakers.

Now I just gotta find one of those USB Bluetooth adapters for my PC.

*Dense because all credible studies on the matter show no difference in reaction times for those holding a cell phone to their face and those on a hands free device.

Another fun little fact, you can legally text message someone while driving, but you can't talk to them with your phone to your ear.

Yeah guys, much safer thanks.

Wavechaser on
    edited July 2008
    How am I supposed to tie my tie while texting while driving?

Bigity on