As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quick question - Best free DVD player

ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
Can anyone help me? ;-)

Impersonator on

• Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If you're on Windows, VLC player is the only free player worth bothering with.

If you're on Linux, install libdvdcss and every player now plays DVDs.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    bloodrbloodr Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Either VLC player or Media Player Classic Home Cinema. Personally, I like MPC-HC because of the more user friendly interface.

bloodr on
    b1oodrose.png
    b1oodrose.png
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wow, thanks for the fast replies, I think I'll choose VLC, I liked the quality better ;-)

Impersonator on
  • Options
    wabbitehwabbiteh Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    VLC can be a bit finicky with DVDs at times, but it's the only one I can think of.
    I've found WMP to be pretty decent with DVDs, myself.

wabbiteh on
  • Options
    AgehnAgehn Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    VLC is the industry standard of cheap-bastard free stuff. But I'm frequently vexed by my inability to simply 'rewind' when watching a DVD; I have to drag the location indicator backwards, which is quite imprecise. Is there a 'play backwards' feature of which I am unaware? Or a feature that allows me to type in "1:30:45" and have the current file begin play at one hour, thirty minutes, and forty-five seconds in? Those would be handy features.

Agehn on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wabbitehwabbiteh Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Agehn wrote: »
    VLC is the industry standard of cheap-bastard free stuff. But I'm frequently vexed by my inability to simply 'rewind' when watching a DVD; I have to drag the location indicator backwards, which is quite imprecise. Is there a 'play backwards' feature of which I am unaware? Or a feature that allows me to type in "1:30:45" and have the current file begin play at one hour, thirty minutes, and forty-five seconds in? Those would be handy features.

There is Ctrl/Alt/Shift + Left/Right Arrow Key, which skips around in time. There's a "skip to arbitrary time" ticket in VLC's feature/bug tracker, but it seems no one is working on it. I'm guessing there's no rewind button because rewinding for highly compressed video is very tricky - you have to work backwards to an unknown starting point, then run through the video until you get to where you can display an image. Someone could probably write a slightly hack-ish rewind for some formats (just grabbing still images slightly before the current time as quickly as it can, then displaying them), but it would require doing a lot of codec stuff to work half-decently. I think. On the other hand, I imagine most XviD capable DVD players can rewind as well, so... ignore me, for I have no clue what I am talking about.

wabbiteh on
  • Options
    AgehnAgehn Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    That makes a certain amount of sense. Thanks.

Agehn on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    media player classic is real simple - i use it to play most files.

i use VLC for actual DVDs and anything that wont play in classic.

anything else that wont play i go through the list of random players i have on my computer

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    MPC. +1

VLC fucks me around all the time with framerate drops and such

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    VLC was the standard for awhile. I mean, free and played anything you threw at it. But now? MPC is starting to come out on top. Hell, VLC doesn't like some types of subtitles, but MPC can do anything VLC can't. And with the CCCP, you really just can't go wrong with MPC anyway.

Kyanilis on