As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sony's Mid Term Strategy: First screens of PS3 video download service, LIFE News

BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Games and Technology
Noticed this over at Neogaf, cutting and pasting over here. Pretty big news:
Elios83 wrote:
Sony has unveiled today their mid-term business plan for the company.
You can find all the details and presentations here:
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/info/Strategy/index.html

This presentation is about the game division:
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/info/Strategy/pdf/presen_03.pdf

and it contains interesting new infos:

5eacjq.jpg
2wfvnk5.jpg
hve2kx.jpg
nvbnr6.jpg
2nrn054.jpg
e540.jpg

video service launched in summer:
4zw4zc.jpg
c20080626_20_sony_02_cs1w1_700x525.jpg
sony15.jpg

Note that this last picture you can buy the full movie (SD)
Sony's wooing Hollywood for PS3 - Video download service set for summer

Sony is launching its long-promised video download service on the PlayStation 3 this summer, though it has yet to get most of Hollywood aboard.

At a Tokyo press conference on Thursday, vidgame topper Kaz Hirai announced plans to allow users to download movies and TV shows via the PS3 game console starting this summer in the U.S. and soon thereafter in Europe and Asia. Company has said such a service was in the works since the PS3 debuted in 2006.

However, insiders at numerous studios said they don't yet have deals in place to offer their movies on the PS3. Sony Pictures is believed to be the only one already confirmed.

Sources in discussion with Sony also said that the conglom is aiming to take the service beyond the type of rentals already available on Microsoft's Xbox 360, Apple's iTunes and numerous other websites. That could include the ability to move downloads from the PS3 to the portable PSP game device and to transfer copies onto the PS3 and PSP from a Blu-ray disc.

Videogame consoles are seen by many in Hollywood as a lucrative tool for Internet video downloads since they're already connected to the TV. Microsoft's Xbox Live Video Marketplace is believed to be the second most successful Internet videostore after iTunes.

Sony will likely unveil details about its videostore at the E3 confab in Los Angeles next month. At the same event, Microsoft is expected to announce a partnership with Netflix under which users will be able to stream movies from that company's "watch now" service onto a TV via the Xbox 360.

Topper Howard Stringer also said Sony will launch a streaming video service for its new line of Internet-connected Bravia television sets this fall. The first pic will be Sony's "Hancock," which will be available to stream on Bravia TVs before it's released on DVD.

Stringer said that over the next three fiscal years -- through March 2011 -- Sony intends to put Internet connections in 90% of its electronic devices.

Other goals include bringing the videogames group into the black this fiscal year; doubling earnings from Brazil, Russia, India and China to 2 billion yen ($18.6 billion) by fiscal 2010; and reaching 5% operating profits overall.

details about PS3 business:
2vj3ds7.jpg
PS3 set to deliver worldwide daily news

During the Sony Strategic Meeting in Tokyo today, Sony announced a service that will allow PS3 owners to view daily world news interactively.

The system, billed under their Life with PlayStation brand, allows you to zoom around a virtual globe (not unlike the one in the Folding@Home application) and gain world news from various cities. The service will allow later on for geo-tagged pictures to be viewed on the globe, and is part of a whole slew of non-game services Sony are planning for the future.

The idea is a simple one. Since many people switch on their TVs in the morning to get news of what is going on, Sony want you to switch on your PS3 as well and use that to deliver the information you require, whilst playing music in the background and linking into other services to be announced in the future.

Since this new Life with PlayStation brand has been announced in a Strategic Meeting that concentrated on services that will be launched before March 2009, I think we can assume these new features will appear in the following eight months.

Wii News
369806283_28e6d1f596.jpg
369797944_6038b434fc.jpg

PS3 News
sony1_27.jpg
sony1_26.jpg

Bamelin on

• Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That looks absolutely identical to the Wii News browser thingie. Which is a great casual browsing service, incidentally.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    the most highly anticipated film of the summer, Hancock

suuuuure

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    FireWeasel wrote: »
    That looks absolutely identical to the Wii News browser thingie. Which is a great casual browsing service, incidentally.

I should clarify ... that IS the Wii News browser ... the picture below it is the PS3 one with Live video ... (edited Op for clarity)

Bamelin on
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I still dont get the fuss for this video service. I think Sony would be better off trying to bring the cost of Blu-Ray discs and the retail movies down for a greater market penetration. Right now, they have a better grasp on things than what they had with UMD regarding pricing structure, but the market penetration is painfully slow at the moment especially considering they 'won' the format war.

But since Sony is going for an online rental service, why not look at doing things differently than Microsoft's botched attempt? Offer subscription based rental service? unlimited HD rentals for $9.99 a month? so much better than having straight fixed pricing that after a month or so suddenly becomes useless because retail sells the same product physically for cheaper. Or even better include Full game rentals. Some of these bigwigs must never have had Sega Channel.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Bamelin wrote: »
    FireWeasel wrote: »

I should clarify ... that IS the Wii News browser ... the picture below it is the PS3 one with Live video ... (edited Op for clarity)

PS3 News: Now With HD Globe!

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I think the streaming feature is kind of cool. I use Wii News and enjoy it, live video on the PS3 version is a natural next step.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    ghstwrldghstwrld Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, um, isn't it kind of counter productive to engage in the digital distribution of movies whilst trying to make blu-ray the standard?

ghstwrld on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    ghstwrld wrote: »
    So, um, isn't it kind of counter productive to engage in the digital distribution of movies whilst trying to make blu-ray the standard?

Yep.

Sony really dropped the ball on that in my opinion.

While Blu Ray and HD DD can co-exist they directly compete in many key markets.

In fact, by the very nature of people who own HD TVs it is likely the digital stuff will take off more.

I've always said Blu Ray was too expensive and too late. Yeah, win the format war and become the default HD solid state media, right about the same time digital and online really takes off, for less money and less effort for the consumer.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

Not if there is perceived value in a) owning the disc, b) not having to install a bigger HDD in your PS3, c) Sony wants to sell to people other than PS3 owners, etc.

The DD method has its benefits (instant!) but a lot of drawbacks too. So far they've done a good job with the PS store, but once Sony Pictures get's involved, I can see them screwing it all up with OMG TEH PIRATES!

I'd like it to work, and would use it, but I don't think discs have anything to worry abotu for awhile.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Yep.

Sony really dropped the ball on that in my opinion.

While Blu Ray and HD DD can co-exist they directly compete in many key markets.

In fact, by the very nature of people who own HD TVs it is likely the digital stuff will take off more.

I've always said Blu Ray was too expensive and too late. Yeah, win the format war and become the default HD solid state media, right about the same time digital and online really takes off, for less money and less effort for the consumer.

Well you can only buy the SD version of the movie through their digital distribution. The HD version is only available for rental. If you want to own the movie in HD, you have to buy the Blu-ray disc. Is that really still competing with itself?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I know the PSP already has remote play with PS1 games, but does that look like Lair? I don't know what kind of limitations that would bring but holy fuck can anyone imagine playing PS3 (hell, I would be happy with PS2) games on their PSP?

I know it's wishful thinking and they probably just slapped some random screen on the PSP and that TV, but it still gets me hot.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I know the PSP already has remote play with PS1 games, but does that look like Lair? I don't know what kind of limitations that would bring but holy fuck can anyone imagine playing PS3 (hell, I would be happy with PS2) games on their PSP?

I know it's wishful thinking and they probably just slapped some random screen on the PSP and that TV, but it still gets me hot.

It's actually old news. Yes, you can play LAIR on your PSP. I've done it myself, although the controls didn't work so well since you need motion controls to pull off a bunch of shit. I wonder if that image means they've added proper controls to it.

Basically it just streams the video to your PSP and you can play it on the system. A few games already allow this. It's not actually running off the PSP hardware, so the only limitation is really the control scheme.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dashui wrote: »

It's actually old news. Yes, you can play LAIR on your PSP. I've done it myself, although the controls didn't work so well since you need motion controls to pull off a bunch of shit. I wonder if that image means they've added proper controls to it.

Basically it just streams the video to your PSP and you can play it on the system. A few games already allow this. It's not actually running off the PSP hardware, so the only limitation is really the control scheme.

Holy shit where have I been? I thought it was only PS1 games.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I've heard though that remote play of PS3 games is a laggy affair ...

Bamelin on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This all looks plenty fun, but the digital movie rental service has me worried about how friendly Sony is going to be to Netflix.

I like Netflix. A lot. They say they are "working to get [...] game console manufacturers to make their devices ready for instant streaming", but now that they are in some ways competing with Sony, Sony would probably like to keep them out.

Which would actually be a completely silly thing for Sony to do, because the two are basically different markets. You won't find Hancock on Netflix Watch Instantly, and I don't imagine you'll find King Corn, a hard-to-find documentary about the dirty side of the US corn industry, on the Playstation Store.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't picture Sony blocking other companies from renting out physical copies of their movies. I see them using their "early release" angle, rather than flat-out exclusivity. I do see them preventing Sony Pictures releases from being on Netflix's Watch Now service, however.

Dirty on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dirty wrote: »
    I don't picture Sony blocking other companies from renting out physical copies of their movies. I see them using their "early release" angle, rather than flat-out exclusivity. I do see them preventing Sony Pictures releases from being on Netflix's Watch Now service, however.

Certainly the first part would never happen, and I think the second thing you suggest seems quite likely even if more studios start doing instant stream licensing with Netflix, but what I'm concerned about is the streaming client software itself.

What I'm talking about here is basically the software that runs on this device. Netflix has pretty much said they want to get that running on as many of the 7th-gen consoles as possible, and while prior to this I could imagine Sony saying "oh, sure, we'll put your client software on the PS Store and it can install right into XMB, no probs" now I can see them saying "oh, well, um, our network systems division will have to look into that; we can arrange a conference call sometime if our senior VP of third-party content administration finishes his golf tournament..."

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    RoxtarRoxtar Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dirty wrote: »

Certainly the first part would never happen, and I think the second thing you suggest seems quite likely even if more studios start doing instant stream licensing with Netflix, but what I'm concerned about is the streaming client software itself.

What I'm talking about here is basically the software that runs on this device. Netflix has pretty much said they want to get that running on as many of the 7th-gen consoles as possible, and while prior to this I could imagine Sony saying "oh, sure, we'll put your client software on the PS Store and it can install right into XMB, no probs" now I can see them saying "oh, well, um, our network systems division will have to look into that; we can arrange a conference call sometime if our senior VP of third-party content administration finishes his golf tournament..."

I've never even heard of it so its news to me. Not to mention it seems unclear what the full extent of sony's DD service will be as opposed to what netflix is offering. However if someone wants you to sell cars for them and split the profits while you yourself are already producing cars to sell *shrug* thems the breaks.

Edit: after further reading about both I doubt sony is going to be necessarily competing with netflix. If someone has a PS3 and wants to spend an extra 100 bucks for the box to stream their videos, good for them. However your PS3 with offer you that for a more marginal price than 100 dollars, though it would most likely be more limited in content.

Roxtar on
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm surprised no one has pointed this out yet, so I guess I will:
    However, insiders at numerous studios said they don't yet have deals in place to offer their movies on the PS3. Sony Pictures is believed to be the only one already confirmed.

I think having more ways to access movies is a good thing for consumers. I've used the Xbox LIVE Video Marketplace a few times and have been pleased with it. There's also Apple TV and Hulu.com as well. However, IMHO, they won't really take off unless they have access to all video media (TV and movies) across all studios.

I was pretty frustrated at not being able to find several movies on LIVE Video Marketplace, until I realized they were published by Sony Pictures, and thus not going to be on the "competitor's" video service. I wonder if Sony is going to have a similar problem, with studios not wanting to release their content on the service.

It's going to be a bloody arms race over studios, the same way we saw one for the music industry and labels, over the next few years.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com