As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Why you should care about [insert survival horror game here]

etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Games and Technology
Heyas

I'm whoring a little bit here, but I'm genuinely interested in starting a conversation about survival horror titles coming down the pike in the near term. This last week I spoke with a handful of people making some of the most anticipated survival horror titles coming out this year (or in the case of RE5, someday next year we goddamn hope). The only big names I omitted (mostly because of time, but also because I only had 5 days to with which to work) were Siren and Fatal Frame, the latter was a real shame since I had started a dialog with the team but just couldn't get the timing worked out in time for the launch of Alone in the Dark -- the driver for the feature series.

Anywho, that was a long winded explanation, but I have linked the series, which I called Scared Stiff, mostly for lack of anything better at 5 am when I wrote the first piece (without any caffeine I might add).

I spoke with people with their hands in Alone in the Dark, Dead Space, RE5, Project Origin, and Silent Hill: Homecoming, which you can read at http://www.joystiq.com/tag/scared-stiff.

I basically asked each person I cornered why we should care about their game, as well as what survival horror title or series they consider to be their absolute fave. The answers to this tiny bit of questioning I think shed some interesting light on the titles, a couple in particular, so it'll be interesting to see how the end products measure up.

After the series, I find myself more excited about Dead Space, but it's focus on hacking and/or slashing still leaves me worried. RE5 still sounds cool, but the lack of concrete information has me basing much of my enthusiasm on imagining RE4 but prettier -- which is really all I need anyway, shallow as I am. Silen Hill is a wildcard, and Project Origin is F.E.A.R. refined, the designers admitted as much. As for AitD, well that one is on shelves now, and as enthusiastic as the team was to talk it up, and as much as Atari's financial wellbeing rests on its shoulders, early reviews have not been kind.

So, if we could use this thread to talk about survival horror, particularly those mentioned above, that would be cool. The devs told me why we should care, but really, do YOU care?

etoychest on

• LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Some of the games were very nice surprises. Dead Space, for instance, is something I hadn't heard of before, and I'm now looking forward to. I'm slightly worried about the "dismemberment mechanics" as that sounds ridiculous, but I like what they said about using the atmosphere and not wanting to break immersion. Also, any influence from Silent Hill is positive as far as I'm concerned.

The more I read about Resident Evil 5, the less interested in it I become. I don't know why. I bought RE4 on two different platforms, but I find myself completely unable to care about RE5. Perhaps I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the first teaser, but nothing in the article really grabbed me and made me care about it. Obviously, this is not your fault. It doesn't sound like the team working on the game has much to say other than "we're going to redefine the genre...blah blah...*insert same bullshit every developer always says*."

I like Silent Hill more than any other survival horror series, so I'm both really excited for and really worried about the new game. A lot of the comments seemed like steps in the right direction. I like that the puzzles will somehow become relevant to the narrative, but I hope they do this in a way that isn't pandering and silly. I'd prefer nonsense puzzles if it insured that their vision for the story wasn't compromised. Also, the combat still looks really clunky. They may have polished it a bit more since the last time I saw it in action, but it didn't look so hot. I'm more afraid of them trying too hard with combat than not trying hard enough. I am more than content to walk around as James Sunderland and clumsily swing a board with a nail in it.

Also, as favor to humanity, could you refrain from making "why we should care about _____" in to a hyperlink that redirects you to the top of the page. I clicked it for two of the games before I realized what was going on.

I know you don't need people to tell you this, but thanks for visiting with and providing information about all of these games.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My chief problem with Silent Hill 5 is that it just seems to be replicating previous games in the series in terms of plot and setting and instead making changes in the gameplay.
    That might be fine for some, but...

Xagarath on
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    My chief problem with Silent Hill 5 is that it just seems to be replicating previous games in the series in terms of plot and setting and instead making changes in the gameplay.

What do you mean? We have one character from a previous game, and the setting is in Africa.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dusda wrote: »

What do you mean? We have one character from a previous game, and the setting is in Africa.

Uh, that's Resident Evil you're thinking of.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • The Man with No NameThe Man with No Name __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    I didn't even know Dead Space was a survival horror. Thought it was just a space FPS.

"Left 4 Dead" should have been on that list, but I suspect the shitty title is holding it from being taken seriously as a game these days. Oh what could have been.

The Man with No Name on
    :whistle:
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm slightly worried about the "dismemberment mechanics" as that sounds ridiculous,

It's not that ridiculous in practice, going by some of the gameplay they've shown. Many of the monsters are spindly, tough things that are incredibly resilient and not easily killed. So instead of killing them outright, you smash them to pieces, piece by piece, but it's also been shown to have potential disadvantages as some enemies can use pieces of other enemies that you've forcibly removed to augment themselves.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    "Left 4 Dead" should have been on that list, but I suspect the shitty title is holding it from being taken seriously as a game these days. Oh what could have been.

That's a dumb reason. The title is the only downside to the game.

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
    edited June 2008
    Pancake wrote: »
    I'm slightly worried about the "dismemberment mechanics" as that sounds ridiculous,

It's not that ridiculous in practice, going by some of the gameplay they've shown. Many of the monsters are spindly, tough things that are incredibly resilient and not easily killed. So instead of killing them outright, you smash them to pieces, piece by piece, but it's also been shown to have potential disadvantages as some enemies can use pieces of other enemies that you've forcibly removed to augment themselves.

Let's hope it works out. I'm not opposed to it, but it seems gimmicky. It will be awesome if it gets implemented correctly and doesn't detract from the overall experience. I do know, however, that I have got to get a PS3 or a 360 before some of these games come out.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    L4D isn't really survival-horror, since it's heavily action-oriented, even though it takes strong cues from the genre. At least, that's what I recall the developers claiming.

Seeing some of the latest footage, though, I'm starting to think otherwise. That Hunter is fucking scary.

Mars on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Mars wrote: »
    L4D isn't really survival-horror, since it's heavily action-oriented, even though it takes strong cues from the genre. At least, that's what I recall the developers claiming.

Seeing some of the latest footage, though, I'm starting to think otherwise. That Hunter is fucking scary.

More scary is that the videos showed team mates leaving each other behind to get slaughtered by the mob or get ripped to pieces by a hunter or similar.

Those people were either very stupid, or very, very cold.

subedii on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Where would a game called Silent Hill be placed except in Silent Hill?

The plot I've heard nothing about, but I'm guessing it's going to be about freaky messed up shit.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dead Space and Alan Wake are basically my two most anticipated games for this year.
    Then someone goes and lists all the other stuff that's meant to be out, and I weep for my wallet.

edit: Kagera, maybe.. Mute Mountain?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited June 2008
    Kagera wrote: »

Where would a game called Silent Hill be placed except in Silent Hill?

The plot I've heard nothing about, but I'm guessing it's going to be about freaky messed up shit.

The plot sounds pretty much like previous SHs
    And it's not that the game is set in Silent Hill, it's that it's set in the exact same bits
    At least 4 switched stuff around a little

Xagarath on
  • etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Also, as favor to humanity, could you refrain from making "why we should care about _____" in to a hyperlink that redirects you to the top of the page. I clicked it for two of the games before I realized what was going on.

Oh no prob. That was mainly a reflection on my own laziness than anything. My bad. :)

Also, on Dead Space, I've got my appointment at E3 setup with my sole wanting in that to come away with a better idea, yay or nay, or how much dismemberment adds to or takes away from the experience. It sounds really key to the gameplay, but I can imagine if surrounded by space baddies that can only be killed with hacked up like a quiesenart -- that would get unmanagably annoying.

etoychest on
    edited June 2008
    etoychest wrote: »

Oh no prob. That was mainly a reflection on my own laziness than anything. My bad. :)

Also, on Dead Space, I've got my appointment at E3 setup with my sole wanting in that to come away with a better idea, yay or nay, or how much dismemberment adds to or takes away from the experience. It sounds really key to the gameplay, but I can imagine if surrounded by space baddies that can only be killed with hacked up like a quiesenart -- that would get unmanagably annoying.

I figured as much. I've read your stuff before and never had this problem. :)

I can't wait to to hear about your E3 appointment. Sounds like we are of like minds regarding the genre.

Also, Xagarath, where did you hear about the story in Silent Hill 5? I'd like to read an article or preview if you can dig one up. Silent Hill has always been the apex of the genre for me.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2008

Also, Xagarath, where did you hear about the story in Silent Hill 5? I'd like to read an article or preview if you can dig one up. Silent Hill has always been the apex of the genre for me.

There have been quite a lot of previews, but the only things we actually know is that they've admitted to trying to replicate Silent Hill 2, and that the protagonist is a soldier with a troubled past.
    My problem comes from the fact that it's a different team from the first two, and they've been going on about going back to what Silent Hill's done well before instead of talking about anything new.
    Series is the apex of the genre for me as well, but I'm pessimistic about this one.

Xagarath on