As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Playstation 3 Controller (and others)

13»

• Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Big Dookie wrote:
    khain wrote:
    The Wii controller shaking when pointing at menus is really annoying to me. I'm glad the PS3 took the rumble out after a while the first thing I did in any game was to just turn it off. People say its immersive, but I feel it does exactly the opposite. Every time I feel the controller shake I'm remined I'm holding the controller. Maybe if developers used it like in the MGS games but far to many just jack it up to 100% when something explodes.
    That's fine. But see, the great thing about having rumble is that you CAN turn it off if you don't like it. However, when a controller doesn't have it, people like me who enjoy force feedback are left out in the cold.

It does make the controller heavy though. It doesn't seem to be a problem with the Wii, but I really like the PS3 controller better than the PS2 just because of the weight.

That numbered controller reminded me of a question I always had. What is up with A,B, C, X,Y Z, a numbered scheme seems like it would have made a lot more sense.

khain on
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Playing shooters just feels different without rumble. Rumble in online games really helps me out. It tells me not only visually that I'm getting hit but I can feel that I'm getting hit.

I love the Gamecube controller but didn't like the C stick. Just a little more meat to the top of it and BAM! Perfect controller.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    khain wrote:
    Big Dookie wrote:
    khain wrote:
    The Wii controller shaking when pointing at menus is really annoying to me. I'm glad the PS3 took the rumble out after a while the first thing I did in any game was to just turn it off. People say its immersive, but I feel it does exactly the opposite. Every time I feel the controller shake I'm remined I'm holding the controller. Maybe if developers used it like in the MGS games but far to many just jack it up to 100% when something explodes.
    That's fine. But see, the great thing about having rumble is that you CAN turn it off if you don't like it. However, when a controller doesn't have it, people like me who enjoy force feedback are left out in the cold.

It does make the controller heavy though. It doesn't seem to be a problem with the Wii, but I really like the PS3 controller better than the PS2 just because of the weight.

That numbered controller reminded me of a question I always had. What is up with A,B, C, X,Y Z, a numbered scheme seems like it would have made a lot more sense.
    I think you're the first person I've ever seen say that they liked the weight of the PS3 controller. It felt to me like It was going to break in my hands.

bruin on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Qorzm wrote:
    You shake the controller to juke in basketball

I love you Sony

You should be loving the company that made the game's controls.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't understand why rumble is so popular. I always found it annoying and gimmicky, except in the instances where it's actually part of gameplay, like a hearbeat sensor in MGS2 or something. Why do you like it? Did you find it immersive?

It's nice in driving games, and it does a hell of a lot for Ace Combat. I like feeling the airframe shudder when I've slowed to stall speed, or the rumble of the afterburner kicking in. And in action games, if the character jumps or falls and lands too hard, a little kick from the controller is a nice effect. I even like feeling subtle "recoil" from my weapons fire in an FPS, if it is implemented well.

So used subtly, it really does add to immersion. Though I agree that it's annoying when the thing just goes bananas following a crash, as if the whole idea is to "punish" the player like that game in Never Say Never Again. DANGER LEVEL! DANGER LEVEL!

On the subject of controllers, everyone's hands are different, so this is very subjective. But I personally love the Dual Shock. The asymmetry of the X-Box controller bugs me, somehow, and the buttons are awful in comparison with Sony's controller.

Tiemler on