As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EverQuest 2] Now Fully F2P, no more silly splitting of the population!

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's rather a mess to use, though. Million dots on the map, no quick way to actually find the one you want without mousing over all of them... at least, none of the people I asked could tell me how to search the waypoints.

Glal on
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    EQ2's older quests pretend that that players are going to figure out the quest all on their own time and don't mind searching entire zones for one spawn or little clickable object. It's a bit of old-school design and yeah, it's rather silly and sometimes frustrating.

But between EQ2Map and the EQ2i Wiki (or similar game info sites), everything gets soooooo much easier. In EQ2Map, if you're overwhelmed by the POIs, you can filter what's displayed by clicking the little + in the upper left corner. The EQ2Map site has a search function for POIs too. Dunno if it works with the in-game browser, I always alt-tab. The POIs are user-submitted, so it's not 100% reliable, but it's usually correct.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I recommend people just ignore the old zones when possible. Not only do they tend to look bad (Nak forest is a perfect example of how not to design environments. In places you have a straight break between a polygon of GRASS and MOUNTAIN with zero transition), but the quests are frustrating and the rewards shit.

There's a quest in Nak that has you kill 5 mobs of some type or another. There are only up to 3 of them up at any time, and they are all isolated and in arbitrary locations, mixed in with other mobs. And have a long-ish respawn timer. Even with being a Scout and knowing where they spawned, I was beyond frustrated by the time that was done.

Glal on
  • Options
    rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Not only those points Glal, but Nek forest is crappy because there are arbitrary limits as to where you can go. There are little hill things that are like 5 feet high, but you can't run over them, and if you have to get over them, you have to run allllll the way down to the south or up to the north and then run back down or up to get to where you need to go.

It's like... super gay.

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I hated that zone so much. Even with the interwebs the quests were still annoying (there's like 10 different skeleton types alone). Oh, and let's not forget that there are no resources near the zone entrance, oh no. You have to run across half the zone to where the higher level monsters are if you want to get started on the next tier early (and you do, since it takes more than 2 levels to get enough to make a full suit). Oh, and there are those damned wasps that are like 12 feet off the ground in the canopy that you often miss, and decide to drop down into rape range just as you're gathering, or already busy with other mobs.

Glal on
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    EQ2map is a life saver invisible, thanks. This makes bad quest descriptions much more bearable

So I have one more quest to finish my armor class set. I almost cried when I found out it's in nek forest...again

I was pretty determined to finish, but I think i'm going to wait a few levels..apparently I have to fight some heroic mobs and some other tough shit to finish it anyway

the questline for this armor set is sorta funky. There were a bunch of instances where I had to fight my way through evenly or high level mobs, only to arrive to my quest mob which was several levels lower...I guess they wanted to make it challenging? or maybe it was just bad design. I just hope I never EVER have to fight in a sewer again! water combat is always the antifun in mmos

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The one in Qeynos is the same way. The quest mobs are usually no problem, but there are a some dangerous heroics with huge aggro ranges randomly scattered throughout (Spike and the wandering skeleton are the worst). The rewards aren't even that good, especially compared to the TD armor. I mainly did the quest for extra appearance armor on my monk (Gis are hard to come by).

EQ2Maps, yeah there's a lot of dots, but it's really useful when used in conjunction with a wiki, it makes finding named spawns very easy and the dots usually have a description for how to get there if the location is particularly tricky to reach.

Invisible on
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sirson wrote: »
    Played this a bunch yesterday. Free game time ftw!. The new starter zone is insane. I did every quest there and got my little warden up to 20 with batshit insane equipment. Also do a /claim. There's some new thing you can get for the event and it will teleport you right to the new starter zone. Not that it's super hard to get there in the first place.

What thing is this? I did not see it in the /claim options.

Yoshua on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yoshua wrote: »
    Sirson wrote: »
    Played this a bunch yesterday. Free game time ftw!. The new starter zone is insane. I did every quest there and got my little warden up to 20 with batshit insane equipment. Also do a /claim. There's some new thing you can get for the event and it will teleport you right to the new starter zone. Not that it's super hard to get there in the first place.

What thing is this? I did not see it in the /claim options.

I think it's called a Travel Voucher? Something like that. I believe only the folks who had inactive accounts (who are on free time now) get them. The voucher teleports you to TD or another level-appropriate zone, I think.

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I rolled one of those dragon type guys as a shadow knigt and am enjoying playing through the new Timorous (sp?) Deep zone.

Other than that eq maps thing, does anyone have any tips for me.

I'm likely to play solo and a few groups but not guilding due to sporadic play times. Considering this, should I take the crafting that lets me upgrade my spells and also should I be harvesting everything I see?

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Adda wrote: »
    So I rolled one of those dragon type guys as a shadow knigt and am enjoying playing through the new Timorous (sp?) Deep zone.

Other than that eq maps thing, does anyone have any tips for me.

I'm likely to play solo and a few groups but not guilding due to sporadic play times. Considering this, should I take the crafting that lets me upgrade my spells and also should I be harvesting everything I see?

The crafting profession for your skills (Combat Arts) would be Scholar->Alchemist, and it'd be a decent choice. Harvesting is great if you have the time, but focus on what you need for leveling your craft or the nodes that will give rares you could use for mastercrafted equipment or CAs. Harvesting skills also are used in some quests, so it's never wasted effort.

The other tip I'd give is to make sure you're assigning your AA points as you get them. Someone else can advise on what AA abilities are good for SKs, but AAs can improve a character considerably, even at the beginning. You should be getting AA experience naturally as you quest, kill and explore.

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

• Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah I'd assigned the level based ones for 8 and 10 but didnt know where to go with the AA/Talents stuff. Already built up two points but couldn't see where was best for them.

Will do some research later on when I get home.

Ta for the advice.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    For AA's check the official class forums, they usually have pretty good guides for this sort of stuff. In general most classes usually benefit from the Archetype AAs the most (Wizard-Agi and Wisdom line, Berserker-Stamina line, etc.) so those are the first AAs spent, but there are some classes that benefit from the Class AAs the most (Necro-Tainted Heals). Just remember you don't have to spend all of your points in each skill, it only take 4 to unlock the next one and 22 to unlock the last one (which costs 2 points instead of 1). For example on my Wizard, on the Agi line my point spending looks like 4-4-6-8-2 and my Wis line looks like 4-6-4-8-2.

And just as a suggestion, try to keep your profession 10 levels above your adventurer level. It keeps your profession useful to you (it's less of a concern with non-equipment classes, but an armor for example doesn't learn the last piece of #2 MC equipment until #7-#9) and it keeps you from falling behind.

I have a level 35 tailor that's absolutely useless to me since I'm so far ahead level wise. I'll eventually catch it up, but not before the equipment I can make is useless to me.

Invisible on
  • Options
    KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Invisible wrote: »
    For AA's check the official class forums, they usually have pretty good guides for this sort of stuff. In general most classes usually benefit from the Archetype AAs the most (Wizard-Agi and Wisdom line, Berserker-Stamina line, etc.)

Wait what.

Wizard - Agility and Wisdom?!

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    Phooka1976Phooka1976 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Honestly, from my 10 or so years with SOE just give up on them. Seriously. It is funny how they are pushing out more crappy expansions around the time I just published this article on my blog. link removed It is like they are purposelessly trying to fail. They just want to cling on and milk their customers for as long as they can and I for one and f**king sick of it.

Phooka1976 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    KingMole wrote: »
    For AA's check the official class forums, they usually have pretty good guides for this sort of stuff. In general most classes usually benefit from the Archetype AAs the most (Wizard-Agi and Wisdom line, Berserker-Stamina line, etc.)

Wait what.

Yeah, with Agility you get Spellshaping which with each point increases casting speed and the final skill is Spellshifting which increases Reuse Speed of Caster by 12%. You also get Ambidexterous Casting which is a short range melee skill that does some damage and interrupts the target.

Wisdom has Freehand Sorcery which is buff that increases damage on the next hostile spell by a % (at 6 point it's 24% which is really nice on Ice Comet and it has a fairly fast reuse time, a little bit faster than the other spell damage buffs), Brainstorm which increases base damage by a % (4% at max) and Sagacity which reduces spell and ability costs by 12%.

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    KingMole wrote: »

Wait what.

Sorceror Intelligence line is mainly about threat reduction. Wisdom line increases spell damage and the final ability is a 12% power cost reduction. Stamina is mostly about protection but has a casting skills boost too. Agility has movement speed and big casting speed buffs. Strength is a parry buff and 2 spell crit buffs. All the lines have an extra attack of some sort. So it's not necessarily as simple as "more Int is always good." But you could certainly take the Int stat boosts from that line and skip the rest (though the primary stat is boosted the least in the subclass AA lines.)

Edit: Beaten by Invisible! If only I hadn't walked away in the middle of writing this post.

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

• Options
    edited June 2008
    Phooka1976 wrote: »
    Honestly, from my 10 or so years with SOE just give up on them. Seriously. It is funny how they are pushing out more crappy expansions around the time I just published this article on my blog. link removed It is like they are purposelessly trying to fail. They just want to cling on and milk their customers for as long as they can and I for one and f**king sick of it.

Yes let's all hate a game because you don't like the company.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    BrothermanfredyBrothermanfredy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So a friend and I just started this game, and now i am lvl 20 after a few days. Fun game, but i have a few questions... I am a bruiser, and through listening to channels in the game, it seems as if our hands are good enough with no weapons, is this true? Should i unequip my 11.5 rating weapons?

Also, i have reached the end of the trial, and won't buy it until next Monday(Vacation from tomorrow until then), but my friend already bought it. I was wondering where we should go next? I am an Iksar bruiser, he is an Iksar defiler. I hear a lot about Timorous Deep, but is that a starting zone for good aligned chars? Can't really tell. Should we just head to Nektulos(The game won't let me zone there from Dark Valley Woods or where ever i am =/ Really need to buy the game soon!)

Brothermanfredy on
  • Options
    Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hey, two questions: 1 I love EQ2 but had the distinct inability to find people or information, are there any good sites equivalent of WoWwiki for EQ2? I remember a wiki that was really incomplete and vague.

2: I remember seeing on forums that Shadow Knights are the "gimped tank/dps" and can't match up in either and hence are not wanted in guilds. I've tried all the classes and only SKs have interested me enough to keep going with it, that all true? I'd hate to find I couldn't do what I wanted solely because everyone one wants a different class for every role I could fill.

Typhus733 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So a friend and I just started this game, and now i am lvl 20 after a few days. Fun game, but i have a few questions... I am a bruiser, and through listening to channels in the game, it seems as if our hands are good enough with no weapons, is this true? Should i unequip my 11.5 rating weapons?

Also, i have reached the end of the trial, and won't buy it until next Monday(Vacation from tomorrow until then), but my friend already bought it. I was wondering where we should go next? I am an Iksar bruiser, he is an Iksar defiler. I hear a lot about Timorous Deep, but is that a starting zone for good aligned chars? Can't really tell. Should we just head to Nektulos(The game won't let me zone there from Dark Valley Woods or where ever i am =/ Really need to buy the game soon!)

1. As long as you go for mostly strength in stats/AA, you can do fine with your fists.

2. Timorous Deep is a level 1-20 (ish) zone for any characters, though certain races that are evil-aligned can start there (Sarnak + all neutral races). Go to Butcherblock or Nektulos. I'd recommend Butcherblock, but mostly of all the hate I have of Nektulos.
    Typhus733 wrote: »
    Hey, two questions: 1 I love EQ2 but had the distinct inability to find people or information, are there any good sites equivalent of WoWwiki for EQ2? I remember a wiki that was really incomplete and vague.

2: I remember seeing on forums that Shadow Knights are the "gimped tank/dps" and can't match up in either and hence are not wanted in guilds. I've tried all the classes and only SKs have interested me enough to keep going with it, that all true? I'd hate to find I couldn't do what I wanted solely because everyone one wants a different class for every role I could fill.

1. Clicky

2. I really haven't played Shadowknight enough to be able to give an answer on that.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Awesome, thank you KingMole... very helpful! Might buy RoK tomorrow before i go on vacation just to play in Butcherblock or start my Armor Quests

Brothermanfredy on
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hey guys, I have been trying this out on Lucan DLere. Seems pretty fun so far, I rather enjoy the music and less cartoony look of it all.

I currently have a dark elf shadow knight named Eduard (name of my EQ1 SK, though human). Does PA do much on that server?

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      edited July 2008
      Been playing two characters on Vox (Brigand 11 and Shadowknight low 20s) if anyone is around on there. Also have some people on Antonia that I'm prolly going to delete, I've had trouble getting into all but a few classes, even moreso with a lack of guild to entertain me so the only two that I've really liked are on Vox.

Typhus733 on
    • Options
      edited July 2008
      Most people are on AB.

But there is a really low presence of PA people in EQ2.

KingMole on
      doomrider_sigPA.png
    • Options
      Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
      edited July 2008

For brawlers if you go down the STR and the INT lines you are set as far as "weapons" go until you get to T7 or 8 and get some good legendary weapons. Then at that point you'd want to respec to one of the other trees such as AGI/STA/WIS with INT for crit and parry (final ability is meh)

*Edit* If I remember correctly Barehanded is the equivilent to a 2.5 delay 2handed Mastercrafted weapon. The STR line helps overcome the loss of stats and effects and makes it effective till you can get your epic weapon at level 80 and some legendary gear out of Kunark instances or Runnyeye 2.0

If anyone has any MONK/brawler questions hit me up in game. Its the only class I really play and consider myself knowledgable on the class and the AAs. Could help with brusiers as well. Name is Ghene in game.

Psychotic One on
    • Options
      Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
      edited July 2008
      Typhus733 wrote: »

Shadow Knights really come into their own late game. In our raid alliance our main tank is a Shadow Knight with his epic weapon (fabled version). He can hold hate and take blows with the best of him. Been using him since Kingdom of sky to tank Deathtoll and some of the harder content so those that say SKs are gimp tanks don't know what they are talking about. I would even go as far to say there are to many BAD shadow knights that give the class a bad perception. Just like the rumors that Brawlers make bad tanks as well. I tanked Chelseth, drunk, and in my crafting gear, with my monk with no problem and set a speed record among my circle :p

For Shadow Knights you'll probably want to carry around 2 sets of gear. One for tanking. Mitigation, Defense, stamina. And a Set for DPS, Lots of INT, CA and Spell damage mods, and crit for both melee and spells. Also picking the right "god" can make a load of diffrence. Alot of SKs go Innoruk or Bertoxilous. Our SK goes with Bert.

Psychotic One on
    • Options
      edited July 2008
      Thanks, I've read alot saying they were broken and unsuccessful in tanking and mediocre DPS but damn do I love them in concept and execution.

I did make a Conjorur on AB out of bordem, Typhun who is slowly leveling up.

Side note, Timorous Deep is by and far one of the best starting areas I've seen. Really fun, didn't get stale like all the others and actually showed off a fair bit of the game.

Typhus733 on
    • Options
      Captain RadicalCaptain Radical Registered User regular
      edited July 2008
      stuff about SK's

I think most people know that SK's can tank stuff, but then a mage can tank also if they really want. It's just that Guards are better raid tanks.

Captain Radical on
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      edited July 2008
      I ended up making a Froglok Ranger on AB named Sorbonne. If anyone wants to drop me a line and give me some hints, it would be much appreciated.

TimFiji on
      Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Options
        edited July 2008
        I thought I'd point out a two quest lines that often get ignored in TD, because they don't have an official quest starter, you have to find/click the item. Plus they offer some nice rewards, including a legendary cloak.

1. After doing "Matching Tablets?"-> A Curious Carcass -> Finding the Tribute Taker -> Giving Vaerha Time
        Which results in a baby stonechest gorilla pet and either Shwoop, The Stonechest Cleaner (2-handed staff, +8 Str, +10 Sta, +8 Wis, +26 Health, +22 Power) or Stonechest Leash (1-handed whip, +8 str, +6 Agi, +15 health, +12 power).

2. After doing "A Stronger Essence"-> The Tomb of the Shadow Lords -> The Shadow Lords (You have to fight 3 ^^ heroics, 1 at a time, but they don't fight like heroics at all, easily soloable at 18-20)
        Which results in Shadow Lords Drape (Cloak, +9 Sta, +22 Health, +25 Power, +1 In-Combat Power Regeneration Per Tick) and an Adept 1 CA/Spell depending on your class.

Invisible on
      • Options
        edited July 2008
        The last fight in the questline to get the flying carpet is a real bitch. Between two separate 47-57 groups plus higher-level healer and DPS, we still couldn't figure out a way to do it succesfully. Was hoping to get my carpet at 48, but it'll have to wait. (Or I'll have to wheedle my way onto a group of high-50s doing it.)

On the plus side, 4 levels and 7 AA points in about 2 days, so it's not like things are going badly for my hoppity Fury.

HarshLanguage on
        > turn on light

• Options
        edited July 2008
        Heh, I two-manned that fight. Granted I was level 59 and was teamed with a level 70 dirge that also needed to finish that quest. Poor djinn fell like a ton of bricks in less than 20 seconds. Also soloed that heroic ice comet-casting asshole, never underestimate the power of surging tempest to interrupt (though I died to him 3 times before finally killing him, I wish my Ice Comet was powerful enough to kill things 4 levels above me).

Don't know what my point is... I guess find a level 70 to kick his ass?

Invisible on
      • Options
        BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
        edited July 2008
        Heh, I two-manned that fight. Granted I was level 59 and was teamed with a level 70 dirge that also needed to finish that quest. Poor djinn fell like a ton of bricks in less than 20 seconds. Also soloed that heroic ice comet-casting asshole, never underestimate the power of surging tempest to interrupt (though I died to him 3 times before finally killing him, I wish my Ice Comet was powerful enough to kill things 4 levels above me).

Don't know what my point is... I guess find a level 70 to kick his ass?
        yeah, we had some level 70 help us if i remember correctly...our first attempt was SAD!!!!! but once the 70 joined we had an easy time

BEAST! on
        dfzn9elrnajf.png
      • Options
        edited July 2008
        It really helps to have a chanter on that fight. You lock down all the adds and level the named with huge amounts of DPS. Also putting spell shield [spell reflection] on the tank can make a huge diffrence. Plus its hilarous to watch that guy in Maj'dul cast Ice Comet only to see REFLECTED appear over the tank and him hit himself for 4k

Psychotic One on
      • Options
        edited July 2008
        It really helps to have a chanter on that fight. You lock down all the adds and level the named with huge amounts of DPS. Also putting spell shield [spell reflection] on the tank can make a huge diffrence. Plus its hilarous to watch that guy in Maj'dul cast Ice Comet only to see REFLECTED appear over the tank and him hit himself for 4k

I also heard that lots of scouts using stuns help considerably on the d'jinn. My original team's level range (before we met up with the second team and outside help at the d'jinn) was so large, we simply weren't a match for a 57^^^ heroic fight. We really needed a higher tank, ours was a 55 zerker who did his best but got frustrated and logged. Can't blame him. I'd imagine a full balanced team of 55-57s could handle it.

The fight in Maj'Dul was pretty easy for our original team, unbalanced as it was. But only one of us had fought in Maj'Dul before, and he neglected to mention the level 60 Sha'ir that swoops in after the kill. D:

HarshLanguage on
        > turn on light

• Options
        edited July 2008
        Anyone able to find use of a mystic on AB...a whopping level 10 :P. I was eh about it at first but it plays fun though having only heroic/too high level quests for some reason is kind of annoying. At this point I'm mostly just determined because of the "challenge" quest to get to 20 in under 14 days /played.

Typhus733 on
      • Options
        edited July 2008
        That quest confused so many people when they snuck it in there only for new chars of the reactivated folks.

I probably won't be playing too much this weekend due to CoH's Double XP weekend, but drop Nerrin a line if you want to team sometime. I'd especially like to do more lowbie instances. And Nek Castle, I'd love to mentor someone starting that zone.

HarshLanguage on
        > turn on light

• Options
        edited July 2008
        So I just found out apparently it's a bonus exp weekend and got to 20 only to find I somehow failed the challenge with less than a day /played...grr. Oh well, I can become a bear now and plan to savagely maul things till I'm happy again. Where do Q's ideally go at 20?

Typhus733 on
      • Options
        edited July 2008
        So my friend and i got into EQ2 pretty hardcore now, him a little more than i, but playing often nonetheless. I was just wondering if there were any good sites out there? As in any MMO, there is a lot to learn. So far i have gone to the official boards, here, and the wiki. Is there any other active site that i may have missed? Like for FF11 there is killingifrit boards, Allakhazam(Checked here and it didn't seem too bad, haven't checked again in awhile), somepage, etc etc. I just really enjoy reading up on things to learn more and read people messing around.

Brothermanfredy on