As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The new booze thread

• Options
    DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    it is now 11h43pm and I have been drinking since 1h00pm because of this family thing and fuck yes Blanche de Chambly

Dadouw on
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My new alcohlic favorite

tn_george%20killians%20-%20irish%20red%20-%20f.jpg

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Killian's is delicious.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    a little hard to find

if you get a place that has it on tap, golden

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    2006pint.jpg

hey-o

I wish I was 21 so I could get this regularly

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i can approve of killians

they had a bunch of 'em at a work picnic thing yesterday...it was glorious

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I hate that I'm older than my sister-in-law and I routinely get carded while her and my older brother do not.

We'll all be out and everyone orders and I'm the only one that gets carded.

That's what I get for shaving.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm tempted to grow out my whiskers and try to order some booze at a restuarant but I'm reasonably certain they wouldn't go for it

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Ani_BAni_B Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    this one time we were doing shots of everclear with a dash of bailey's and a few drops of tabasco in them

the baileys congealed, dude called them brain hemorrhages

seriously wow good thing I was already drunk

I can't even begin to imagine the texture of that. Barf.

Ani_B on
    Felt dark planet turn under my feet and knew what cats know that makes them scream like babies in night.
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2008
    ShimSham wrote: »
    I hate that I'm older than my sister-in-law and I routinely get carded while her and my older brother do not.

oh man, it was me, thanatos, arsenic, wam, druhim, and nap at the restaurant and they assumed i was 21 by association, i could have gotten away with it, but i don't drink at 10am

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    sometimes i order alcohol and they ask to see my ID and i show them it and then i get booze

huzzah

potatoe on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ani_B wrote: »
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    this one time we were doing shots of everclear with a dash of bailey's and a few drops of tabasco in them

the baileys congealed, dude called them brain hemorrhages

seriously wow good thing I was already drunk

I can't even begin to imagine the texture of that. Barf.

Like I said, good thing we were already hammered

the full impact of what we had been drinking didn't hit me until the next day

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Keith wrote: »

oh man, it was me, thanatos, arsenic, wam, druhim, and nap at the restaurant and they assumed i was 21 by association, i could have gotten away with it, but i don't drink at 10am

it depends on what kind of 10AM it is

is it a 10AM after waking up, or is it the 10AM still going from the night before

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    potatoe wrote: »
    sometimes i order alcohol and they ask to see my ID and i show them it and then i get booze

huzzah

good times potatoe

good times

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I've had a beer as breakfast a few times.

I'm still not sure if I recommend this.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    The best alcohol related breakfast is irishing up ones coffee

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2008
    Keith wrote: »

it depends on what kind of 10AM it is

is it a 10AM after waking up, or is it the 10AM still going from the night before

man i have trouble staying up past 2 let alone pulling an all nighter

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Killian's is super easy to find in my town.

I live less than a block away from a place that routinely has it on sale for around ten bucks a 12-pack, which isn't bargain material but for Killian's fuck yes.

God damn I might have to make a walk over there now...

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    DislexicDislexic Creepy Uncle Bad Touch Your local playgroundRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    yeah, any beer that's at or over $1 a bottle at a STORE has to be damn good for me to buy it.

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg
  • Options
    future manfuture man Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Pyramid is a good Hefe and another enjoyable brew is Blue Moon.

However, beer also makes you a fatty.

future man on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I've been really tempted to try some Guiness just because the people who turned me toward Killian's have said promising things, but 9 bucks for a 6 pack? No thank you sir.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    future man wrote: »

I got some Blue Moon one time, and it became the talk of the party as to whether or not it tasted like blueberries.

Personally I think the people that were for the notion were out of their minds.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    JC of DI wrote: »
    future man wrote: »

I got some Blue Moon one time, and it became the talk of the party as to whether or not it tasted like blueberries.

Personally I think the people that were for the notion were out of their minds.

I have also been involved in this debate, involving both blueberries and blueberry pancakes. I am inclined to agree with you in that it tastes like a good beer, and not some breakfast food or fruit.

Also, at parties you should hide the Blue Moon and let the swine with no sense of taste drink the Natural Ice.

future man on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    They weren't having bottles, just "Oh hey, what's that taste like? Can I have a swig?"

I'm the only dude in my drinking circle who gets something that isn't Bud-, Busch-, or Coors Light, so it's pretty obvious when someone walks out of the kitchen with something decent that they probably didn't get that from someone else.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    They weren't having bottles, just "Oh hey, what's that taste like? Can I have a swig?"

I'm the only dude in my drinking circle who gets something that isn't Bud-, Busch-, or Coors Light, so it's pretty obvious when someone walks out of the kitchen with something decent that they probably didn't get that from someone else.

I've got that same problem, I find "going out to the car to look for something" does not raise many eyebrows until the fourth or fifth time of use.

Also as far is hard alcohol goes. Jack & Cokes are a delicious treat.

future man on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I like wine, which seems to make me a rarity among my friends

Other than that, any mixture of Coke with rum, vodka, whiskey, whatever

It don't matter to me, mix it with coke and I'll drink it all night

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    trantramptrantramp Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Vodka mixed with cranberry with some crushed ice.
    Godlike.

I would drink this constantly if I could afford it.

trantramp on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    trantramp wrote: »
    Vodka mixed with cranberry with some crushed ice.
    Godlike.

I would drink this constantly if I could afford it.
    I used to drink this 50% of the time I was drinking at all.

Until one very bad night with vodka.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Vodka/Cranberry is alright but if you enjoy that I emplore you: try mixing vodka and white grape juice.

I mention this in almost every booze thread but I love it so much. The shittier the ingredients, the better the result. Smirnoff and Welch's? Dog shit. Burnett's and store-brand? Heavenly.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Also, Sunny D is way better for Screwdrivers (vodka orange juice) than actual orange juice.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    so I just got back from the club and I'm a bit fucked up? is that how this thread works? kthxbye.

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
    TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've been really tempted to try some Guiness just because the people who turned me toward Killian's have said promising things, but 9 bucks for a 6 pack? No thank you sir.

If your going to try Guiness get it from a bar that has it on tap, not a can.

Theidar on
    Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    noluit wrote: »
    The only appropriate mixer for rum is more rum.

Grape juice. And lots of ice.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Why do americans drink light beer? What purpose does this serve? Light beer has no popularity in Australia and its consumption is mocked and ridiculed.

Pretty sure American light beer is light on Calories and food, thing, brain.
    Whereas our lights are light on Alcoholic content.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Why do americans drink light beer? What purpose does this serve? Light beer has no popularity in Australia and its consumption is mocked and ridiculed.

wait, light for you folk means light on alcohol?

that's just stupid

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

wait, light for you folk means light on alcohol?

that's just stupid

The point is when you get really drunk and the bartenders want you to stop being so rowdy they sometimes try and convince you to drink light, rarely, I mean they're meant to, but they don't, also it has to be legally cheaper than full strength beers.

e: And that way you keep your buzz without getting way more smashed.

To sort this out, what % is a full strength beer over there, just out of curiosity. Want to know if this is the same, I'm going to wiki.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    peter64peter64 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    One thing I hate about living in Pasadena, CA is that it is hard finding Killian's Irish Red and Woodchuck Cider. I have found neither here. I went to a tobacco shop in hollywood and they only had glass pipes and bongs. I was surprised they could not even keep up appearances by having any regular pipes.

On the plus side Two-Buck Chuck is great. I do not have a palette for wine but it seems tasty enough for me.

peter64 on
    things out of context are funny
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    http://www.realbeer.com/edu/health/calories.php

Bud Light is around 4.2%

My beloved Killian's is around 4.9% which is actually kinda light for a "heavier" beer.

Blue Moon is 5.4%
    Becks 5.0%

It's got a shit-ton of beers there though but those are a few of the brand's mentioned in the last page compared to college staple Bud Light.

I also have to say that if I lived anywhere where Killian's was hard to come by then I would be in shambles.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    The Fosters they sell to you guys over there is not the same Fosters they sell in the home country, I've been told it is actually quite different, also no one actually drinks Fosters, at least not in my town/state.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    The one thing I know about Fosters is that they used to have fantastic commercials here in the states.

But overall a lot of beers are different once they are brewed in different countries. Unless you're actually importing from the country it came from it probably tastes very little like the original product.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png