As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can't delete a file? (Vista)

mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
So I've got this video file that for whatever reason I cannot delete. It was created with Nero Recode, I watched it with VLC, wanted to tweak some settings, so went to delete it...it just hangs. Within the GUI (Vista) it just hangs at "Calculating time remaining..." Tried from the command line (both as user and admin) and no joy (no error, just hangs). Same from a safe mode command line.

My logical next step is downloading a Linux live CD, and trying to delete it from there (I'm doing that now). Any other ideas? More importantly, any idea what would cause such a thing in the first place?

mcdermott on

• Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Uhm, is it by chance in any folder? Try refreshing it. Then go to your recycle bin.

If it still isn't gone just restart your computer and try again ;-)

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    It's in my Videos folder. And yeah, refresh isn't going to do anything. Like I said, I've been trying to straight delete (Shift-Delete, no recycle) but moving to recycle bin doesn't do anything either. Also, after I couldn't delete it I tried just running Nero Recode again and re-encoding over it...as soon as the program went to write to the file (after the first encoding pass) it just hung...no error out for permissions, no nothing...just hung there.

And yeah, I've already tried a reboot (two now, actually), as well as logging in as admin.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    http://www.killbox.net/

Killbox is a nifty tool for hard deleting programs. It does an awesome job of eradicating them off your HDD, and if it doesn't work at first then just check the box for "Delete on restart".

I've had at least 6 or so files that I've not been able to delete normally that Killbox has managed to delete.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Hmmm....another boot into safe mode and I was able to delete it through the GUI (I had to boot back into Windows because apparently it didn't unmount the disk properly, so ubuntu didn't want to mount it).

Oh well, file's dead now. Also, that killbox thing looks pretty spiffy, well worth making the thread.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think this is an issue with vlc in this case though because I've had this happen to me quite often with videos I've watched with it

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Hmmm....another boot into safe mode and I was able to delete it through the GUI (I had to boot back into Windows because apparently it didn't unmount the disk properly, so ubuntu didn't want to mount it).

Oh well, file's dead now. Also, that killbox thing looks pretty spiffy, well worth making the thread.

For future reference you can force mount a windows partition in linux even if it wasn't umounted by windows properly. I don't remember the command off hand (quick google search should find it). I had to do it once to get rid of some particularly nasty spyware that I was unable to remove in windows even in safe mode.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Ohtsam wrote: »
    I think this is an issue with vlc in this case though because I've had this happen to me quite often with videos I've watched with it

Nope...seems like it's an issue with Nero Recode, because another movie I just made with it (and didn't watch with VLC) is doing the same. Actually, both of them are. Annoying.

Weird, too, both because it's no longer running and because even if it were it should give me some sort of "access denied" message rather than just sitting there and hanging.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Mystery solved...sorta.

Apparently it was caused by the AppLauncher gadget in my sidebar. I had a link to that folder in there (for easy access) but apparently it didn't like me changing files in it (creating files was fine, obviously).

Weird.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I always recommend Unlocker as an essential Windows program. It's free, and has an excellent interface. You just right click and select "Unlocker" and it shows you all programs that have hooked the file, with options to unhook them.

zanetheinsane on