As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wanted and its ilk

SpherickSpherick Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Graphic Violence
So I have never really read any comics outside of 300 and a few graphic novels, but after seeing Wanted in theaters and picking up the comics, I loved them. I like the idea of just a regular (or slightly regular) person just going on vigilante justice with some guns and witty banter.

What I am wondering since this whole genre is the deep end of the pool for me, is what are some other comics I can purchase similar to Wanted?

Spherick on

• Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Wanted is a terrible comic

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This would probably be better suited for the questions thread

but you'd probably do best checking out other stuff by Mark Millar or Frank Miller

Sin City might be up your alley maybe?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You might enjoy the Ennis run of PUNISHER.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    but yes you'd probably like Punisher MAX

Oh goddamit

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    What did you think of the differences between the comic and the movie, Spherick? Specifically, I'm interested in whether or not the inclusion of 'comic book' elements (supervillains, super powers, alternative realities, etc.) would have been an impediment to your enjoyment of the film, if they'd been included.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    SpherickSpherick Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yea, already read Sin City and have added Punisher (MAX?) to my list. Appreciate the responses.

Also, Wanted was a good comic for its art and sheer absurdity of it all, granted it seems like a 13 year old who wanted to be on a power trip had a hand in its writing, but I still enjoyed it.

edit: t Fulton - The 'comic book' elements didn't bother me too much, but probably would have made the movie 100x sillier and I dont think I could have enjoyed it as much.

Spherick on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If you're interested in something slightly less edgy and a little more superheroey, Ultimates 1 and Ultimates 2 by Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch might be a good choice

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I actually enjoy quite a bit of wanted

you know

the non-"fuck the reader" parts

the parts that show a world taken over by villains

but shhhh it's a secret

WANTED IS A TERRIBLE COMIC

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Eh, it's not terrible - the art is terrific, and the concept is fun. Some of the Millar-isms get a little ridiculous, but hey, it's his IP, he can do what he wants with it.

Also, Millar has said that he's made more from WANTED than he has from all of his ULTIMATES work, so take that for what it's worth.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I know a lot of people don't like Wanted, but the guy is new to comics and wants to read more. By telling him the comic he likes is terrible, in his thread, we are not fostering the budding comic enthusiasm.

Lux on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    go here please

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
This discussion has been closed.