As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Co-Op Suggestions needed (PS2, 360, PC)

Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Games and Technology
I have a friend visiting me next week that I used to play a ton of co-op games with back in the day, and a girlfriend that I live with whom I am trying to slowly rope into our shadowy world. I own a 360 (with Rock Band already), a PS2, and I have a pair of PCs on the same network. One of the PCs has an X700 for a video card and runs Vista, the other has an 8800GT and runs XP Pro.

I need good same-console co-op suggestions for those systems, preferably something that I won't have to hunt around too much for. Feel free to make some new-gamer friendly, too. If we get enough going, maybe I'll turn this into a general co-op gaming thread later.

Whiniest Man On Earth on

• Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Earth Defense Force 2017
    Gears of War
    Rainbow Six: Vegas/Vegas 2

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • redrum662redrum662 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Lego Indiana Jones

redrum662 on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds: Survivor.

Co-op on a single PC (no internet multiplayer unfortunately). Top-down blaster similar in style to Smash TV in control. Pretty good games, and simple to get into. Both on Steam.

subedii on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It takes a bit of work, but Co-Op Baldur's Gate is really really fun. I wish I had started it with my roommate more than a few days before I left for the summer.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Halo 3
    Gears of War
    Ghost Recon 1 (maybe 2, but haven't bought it)
    R6:Vegas 1 (again, not tried 2)
    Ikaruga (or any shooter) on XBLA
    Earth Defense Force 2017

PC
    Diablo 1 or 2
    Titan Quest
    Half Life 2 with Synergy mod
    Any RTS with AI (I like Dawn of War, personally)
    Serious Sam 1 or 2

Oh god, there's tons of co-op games (but still not enough!) but I can't remember them D:

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Vegas 2 has better coop play than the first, unlike the first its the same experience, nothing was cut out. Also, getting EXP from terrorists makes the whole thing more fun in my opinion.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think I'll try Vegas 2 first, since I really enjoyed the first one.

I wish there were more same-console co-op dungeon crawls that weren't BG. That was a good suggestion, but finding those games is rough and expensive, last I remember. Shooters are good, but split-screen messes with my head.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    defrag wrote: »
    I think I'll try Vegas 2 first, since I really enjoyed the first one.

I wish there were more same-console co-op dungeon crawls that weren't BG. That was a good suggestion, but finding those games is rough and expensive, last I remember. Shooters are good, but split-screen messes with my head.

Try the PS2 Gauntlet.

Masonite on
  • Demitri OmniDemitri Omni Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I rather enjoyed Splinter Cell Chaos Theory's co-op.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    PS2

Champions of Norrath is a pretty fun dungeon crawler

X360:

Earth Defense Force : 2017 is fun and hilarious

And the Samurai Warriors games on either are fun in co-op

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Ooh. What's it like? Sounds good to me.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Demitri OmniDemitri Omni Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    defrag wrote: »

Ooh. What's it like? Sounds good to me.

It's just like the singleplayer, just a bit more complicated. It involves a few portions that require co-op moves, such as boost-ups, human ladders, rappling, things like that. Fun though.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • EpiphanyEpiphany Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Lego Star Wars and Marvel Ultimate Alliance are really good games for co-op action.

Epiphany on
    3DS Code- 4700-0094-6364
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Is it just me, or is there a relatively small number of good local co-op games on the 360 that don't involve shooting things?

I love EDF to death, but it seems like the only alternative to shooting things is playing the Lego series games... which aren't bad, but that spells about a grand total of 3 varieties of game (shooting stuff, shmup, and Lego).

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    l_g wrote: »
    Is it just me, or is there a relatively small number of good local co-op games on the 360 that don't involve shooting things?

To be fair there's usually a small selection of good games at all on any platform that don't involve shooting things. Or stabbing things. Or punching things. Or hitting things with other things. Or any combinatorial variation thereof.

subedii on