As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kittens and parasites! Oh my!

valerycevaleryce Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So, my coworker found a bunch of kittens, and I adopted one yesterday. We think she's about 8 weeks old. She's very playful, sweet and seems to be rather healthy. I am however rather concerned for her health, as it seems that she has fleas, tape worms and there's a very good chance she has ear mites too.

I am taking her to the vet Wednesday to get these problems looked at. I went looking for flea medication yesterday but I couldn't find any OTC stuff that was safe for kittens her age. I'm not sure if it's safe to use OTC dewormers either. Also, is it possible/safe for me to treat ear mites at home? I've given her two baths so far (one with some kitten shampoo and one with straight water) and I've been fleacombing her and that has helped loads with the fleas. Obviously I don't want to bathe her to much and dry out her coat, but I also don't want her to have fleas.

Basically I want to know if there's any safe home treatments I can do for her before Wendesday to reduce the problem. My roommate has a cat too, and although we're keeping the kitten in the bathroom I am worried about the other cat contracting something from her. Especially worms, because that's just gross. D:

Also a picture for kitten-tastic cuteness.

n593042116_979004_423.jpg

On a side note, anyone know a good name for her? I've been thinking something pirate-y would be cool, as my friend pointed out that it looks like she's wearing an eyepatch.

Art Blog!
I like drawing, cartoons, cookies, and shiny pointy objects.
valeryce on

• Options
    RubickRubick Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Keeping her separate from the other cat is a good idea. I would call your vet and ask what you can do to make her comfortable until you can get her in their office - they'd have a good idea as to what you could pick up to help her out.

You could call her Wench.

Rubick on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    valeryce wrote: »
    On a side note, anyone know a good name for her? I've been thinking something pirate-y would be cool, as my friend pointed out that it looks like she's wearing an eyepatch.

How about Bonny?

Eventually you'd have to get another cat and name it Clyde, though.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    Slightly off-topic, but mentioned: She looks a bit big for 8 weeks old.

With kittens, a good measuring stick is weight: approximately 1lb/month, up to about 7 or 8 months. I worked at a vet's office when my kitten was found and brought in, and they told me that because she weighed about 3 1/2 lbs, they were estimating 3-4 months old. So if the picture is deceiving and she does weigh about 2 lbs, then 8 weeks is a good estimate. Your vet can give you a better estimation.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    AgesAges Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sir James Buttercup Williams Booth the Third.

That's what you should name the kitty.

Ages on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    ceres wrote: »
    Slightly off-topic, but mentioned: She looks a bit big for 8 weeks old.

With kittens, a good measuring stick is weight: approximately 1lb/month, up to about 7 or 8 months. I worked at a vet's office when my kitten was found and brought in, and they told me that because she weighed about 3 1/2 lbs, they were estimating 3-4 months old. So if the picture is deceiving and she does weigh about 2 lbs, then 8 weeks is a good estimate. Your vet can give you a better estimation.

Another thing to note is that if she has parasites, she may actually weigh less than the 1lb/month thing for kitties. We rescued our first cat when she couldn't have been more than four weeks old yet (she wasn't weaned, he mama had been hit by a car). However, she wouldn't even register on a scale she was so tiny.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    valerycevaleryce Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, she is pretty skinny except around her belly, which might be due to the worms. She definitely has them, we've seen them D: She eats a ton, I'm assuming because she hasn't eaten well in the past and also because worms take away her nutrients.

The chance of there being a safe OTC treatment for worms for a cat her age is probably pretty slim, but if anyone has an idea let me know. Also, ear mites? How do you clean a cat's ear? It'd probably be safer to wait until I can see the vet, but she's scratching her ear and it's clearly very irritating to her.

Bonny might be a good name :D Thanks!

valeryce on
    Art Blog!
    I like drawing, cartoons, cookies, and shiny pointy objects.
  • Options
    Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Captain Jack Snugglesworth.

Penguin_Otaku on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    TrowizillaTrowizilla Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You can bathe her in Dawn dish soap to get rid of the fleas. It's what cat rescues do; absolutely safe for even infant kittens as long as you're careful to keep it out of her eyes. It'd be better to wait for the vet to take care of her ear mites; cats have very sensitive ears, and you could easily hurt her by messing around in them. Keep the cats separate and wash your hands really thoroughly after handling her, and give her another week of quarantine after she sees the vet to make sure all her parasites are dead.

I vote for Bonny as well. She looks like a little pirate.

Trowizilla on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    that cat is at least 3-4 months old based solely on the size of its head

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You can buy OTC worming meds at just about any big chain pet store, but if you don’t know what you’re doing, just wait. Remember, worms may be gross, but they’re really just a natural part of being a puppy/kitten. Be very careful what you do about fleas. Kittens have very thin skin that absorbs toxic chemicals like a sponge, and it’s quite easy to make them drop over dead with the wrong flea stuff. Just let the vet deal with it.

supabeast on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If the fleas are bad enough, you can buy some mild flea shampoo meant for young cats and kittens. Even then though, I'd only use it if the infestation is out of hand.

You can still bathe them with regular kitten shampoo daily if need be. Also, make sure to vacuum a lot and clean their bedding daily. That will go a long ways towards getting rid of any eggs.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TokyoRaverTokyoRaver Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hold up and stop everything

KEEP THE CAT AWAY FROM THE OTHER CAT UNTIL YOU GET IT TESTED FOR FELINE LEUKEMIA VIRUS

Trust me on this

It is communicable and it's basically the equivalent of cat AIDS

My beloved cat recently died from it, and prior experience had a friend with four cats adopt a fifth, who was FeLV positive

It infected the other four cats and they all died within a year

Everything else is secondary, you MUST get the cat checked out fully by a vet, full test regimen

TokyoRaver on
    logo_phpBB.gif
  • Options
    CimmeriiCimmerii SpaceOperaGhost Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It is important you get her checked for Feline Leukemia, as well as the mites/worms etc.

As for Pirate kitty names, well... here goes-

Third/fourth for Bonny (or Mary Read, after her crew mate)

Cheng (I Sao), for a Chinese woman pirate who commanded a truly massive fleet of ships, and successfully terrorized the seas for many years, through the late 1700's and on until 1810 when she "surrendered" (retired would probably be a better term), and her husband kept 20 ships, out of 226, and all the booty 8-)

Grace (O'Malley), Irish Chieftaness who lead raids on neighboring tribes, and generally raised hell whenever she felt like it.

Jolie (Rouge)- French for 'Lovely Red', thought to be the originating term for the Jolly Roger.

Also, Kidd, Teach, and Morgan would all work as genderless names, for Captain Kidd, Edward Teach (Blackbeard), and Henry Morgan.

Best of luck with your pirate kitty! I hope she turns out safe and healthy!

Cimmerii on
    *Internally Screaming*